Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 17:50   #151
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
During my recent trip to Ooty, I have seen atleast 4 to 5 Nanos. Initially I was surprised, since the roads were all steep and how can a 600+cc can do such stunts. But believe me, it was going around without any issues. Infact, I saw some of the very steep & narrow roads where only a 2 wheeler would easily do, these nano was moving around.

So, do not underestimate the vehicle. it does have good utility factor and surely a VFM...
Same in Gangtok and other hill stations in the North East. The nano's small turning radius helps it greatly in the winding hill roads. Moreover, during steep climbs (high inclination angles) when a major percentage of a car's weight is on its rear wheels, the nano's rear wheel drive gets it a lot of traction, and climbing is a breeze.

Actually I feel that on hill roads involving hairpin bends together with steep climbs (like a star case) the nano is more suitable than the Alto.

Also sensible tourists, like the view of the mountains from the big and high windows of a nano, which gets restricted largely in an alto.
Old 24th August 2012, 19:41   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramven View Post
I now own a nano for a month and have done already 2000km on it. It still amazes me each day i take her out. I did one trichy-chennai(330) driverway even before 1st service and kept the speed at 70. She returned an amazing fuel efficiency of 29kmpl with ac at point 2 all the way. People who just laughed at my idea of buying nano few months back, when i ask them to sit in the car for a drive...they go looking at the space, she has to offer for four.

Neat package and easy to drive around & park in city. I love her so much today, and not a minute i regret my decision. Starting tomo, i have planned to take her on a 2300 km trip over the next week.
29 kmpl fuel economy for a nano is impossible. There is some mistake in calculation. You must have used the fuel meter needle position for approx calculation. To get the correct fuel economy, you should check it with full tank.
Fill it to full tank TILL THE AUTO-CUTOFF at the pump. Note the odometer reading (say N1). Run till it reaches the reserve (Letter 'E' flashes). Again Fill it to full tank TILL AUTO-CUTOFF at the pump. Note down how many litres of petrol you have filled now. Let it be P litres. Note down the odometer reading now. Let it be N2. This means, (N2-N1) Kms the vehicle has run with P litres of petrol. (N2-N1)/P will give you the correct fuel economy.

Eg. Assume N1= 2000 and N2 = 2266. If P = 14 litres, the vehicle has run 266 kms using 14 litres of petrol. Therefore, the fuel economy is 266/14 = 19 kmpl.

For a 2012 Nano, with AC on, you can expect a fuel economy of 22-23 kmpl on highways after 2 services. For pre-2012 nano, 20-21 kmpl. In city, it depends on how much block you are facing.

I have already covered more than 27000 kms (Yes, twenty seven thousand kms !!!) in all kind of roads. I will say, nano is a great car.
Old 24th August 2012, 19:59   #153
Senior - BHPian

Could anybody guide me on how to fit a music system (from aftermarket) in Nano without voiding warranty? I have booked a Nano and am confused whether I should get the music system from dealer (he is quoting 10K INR for 2 oval Sony speakers and a Sony USB HU). Not to say but I don't want to be duped by the dealer.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:35   #154
BHPian

BTW how is the sound from the speakers that Tata gives on the dashboard?
how much do they cost?
Old 26th August 2012, 07:55   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
29 kmpl fuel economy for a nano is impossible. There is some mistake in calculation. You must have used the fuel meter needle position for approx calculation. To get the correct fuel economy, you should check it with full tank.
Fill it to full tank TILL THE AUTO-CUTOFF at the pump. Note the odometer reading (say N1). Run till it reaches the reserve (Letter 'E' flashes). Again Fill it to full tank TILL AUTO-CUTOFF at the pump. Note down how many litres of petrol you have filled now. Let it be P litres. Note down the odometer reading now. Let it be N2. This means, (N2-N1) Kms the vehicle has run with P litres of petrol. (N2-N1)/P will give you the correct fuel economy.

Eg. Assume N1= 2000 and N2 = 2266. If P = 14 litres, the vehicle has run 266 kms using 14 litres of petrol. Therefore, the fuel economy is 266/14 = 19 kmpl.

For a 2012 Nano, with AC on, you can expect a fuel economy of 22-23 kmpl on highways after 2 services. For pre-2012 nano, 20-21 kmpl. In city, it depends on how much block you are facing.

I have already covered more than 27000 kms (Yes, twenty seven thousand kms !!!) in all kind of roads. I will say, nano is a great car.
Sir i agree with your argument and i dont deny the fact, even myself had the same apprehensions. This car happens to be my third. We sold off our own old amby and got this in its place. I previously owned an Accord and i always calculate the fuel efficiency with the tank fill auto cut off method even with my pulsar. I again came back to Trichy from chennai last thursday and as always kept the needle hovering between 60-70 and rarely went beyond 70. I did tank fill after vandalur (within 10km from vandalur), and started my journey. I came home with no other stops inbetween and calculated the fuel efficiency at 28.34 ( my destination was 291km)the next day when i tanked up till auto cut off. (I always fill at BP)

No Sir i am not joking. I have the logs with me. I store the odo reading, date, amount of fuel filled always in my mobile as a note. Yesterday i did one Trichy-Madurai-Rajapalayam-Madurai-Trichy trip. I got an avaerage fuel efficiency of 23 for the trip. The difference between the two trips being that from madurai to Rajapalayam, it was two lane roads all the way for 80km (160 up and down) and i was never able to go beyond 55kmph or rather never attempted to use fourth gear.

Originally bought this for my parents, but now it has become my full time workhorse. I love my nano.

I am travelling to vaitheeswaran koil today and with a big smile on my face

OT: i dont think i have to wait till E flashes. The amount of fuel filled after the last auto-cut off say P, and distance traveled (N2-N1) is all enough to calculate the fuel efficiency. I always fill with two point remaining in the meter. I might me wrong i am not arguing here, but a difference of 6-9kmpl coz of this method cannot be agreed. Just my thoughts sir.
sramven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 15:21   #156
BHPian

Quote:
i dont think i have to wait till E flashes. The amount of fuel filled after the last auto-cut off say P, and distance traveled (N2-N1) is all enough to calculate the fuel efficiency. I always fill with two point remaining in the meter. I might me wrong i am not arguing here, but a difference of 6-9kmpl coz of this method cannot be agreed. Just my thoughts sir.
Your point is correct. You do not have to wait for the 'E' flashes. But, there is a reason behind using the 'E' flashing method.
For obtaining the most accurate fuel economy, the value (N2-N1) should be as large as possible. This means that you should average over more kilometres. Trying to travel still more with 'E' flashing may put you in trouble, even though nanos will run 30-45 kms with a flashing 'E' depending on road conditions.
Please note that, if you get a good highway for 30 kms and average over 'that 30 kms', it gives only your 'highway fuel efficiency' and is not a representative of your all terrain travel.

Even with this 'E flashing' method, if you are getting 28+ kmpl, you are really lucky. It is like a small lottery. All the best.
Old 26th August 2012, 15:39   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anybody guide me on how to fit a music system (from aftermarket) in Nano without voiding warranty? I have booked a Nano and am confused whether I should get the music system from dealer (he is quoting 10K INR for 2 oval Sony speakers and a Sony USB HU). Not to say but I don't want to be duped by the dealer.
I have not fitted any music system from the dealer. Because, the feedback I received about the dealer-supplied music system performance was not good.
My dealer was firmly arguing that if I fit a system from outside, they will do the electrical wire cutting etc and that will void the warranty. When there are cases of a few cars catching fire etc, I thought, it may not be a wise decision to argue with the dealer or run the car without warranty. But, I never wanted a bad music system to be fitted in my car.
So, I got a cigar lighter fitted by my dealer. It is a tata original cigar lighter. I got the bills also for the fitment charges. Therefore, cigar lighter fitting do not void my warranty. Once you have a cigar lighter socket, you have a plenty of options. So many good mp3 players are available which can either operate directly from cigar lighter or using a small conversion unit. You can even get small units which will give you USB port from the cigar lighter. I have purchased one such small unit from flipkart online.

Just see this link :
Online Shopping India - Buy Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Laptops, Watches & Other Products @ FlipKart

Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark-belkinf8z445qep125x125imad7fuhpgyg5qdr.jpeg

It costs only Rs. 410. It gives you a USB port for charging your mp3 player.

This method will save you money also. Most of the players can play many music formats from USB flash drives, USB hard disks, memory cards or using a cable from your mobile !! So, when you take for servicing, do not take the player. That's all. You are safe in all aspects. This is only my method. There may be better methods ...

Last edited by KMohanan : 26th August 2012 at 15:45.
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 17:42   #158
BHPian

Quote:

This method will save you money also. Most of the players can play many music formats from USB flash drives, USB hard disks, memory cards or using a cable from your mobile !! So, when you take for servicing, do not take the player. That's all. You are safe in all aspects. This is only my method. There may be better methods ...
So where have you fitted the speakers in the car?
Old 26th August 2012, 17:47   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
r servicing, do not take the player. That's all. You are safe in all aspects. This is only my method. There may be better methods ...
Thanks for the clarification. But, even after using that conversion unit one needs a HU or an AMP to play the music from car speakers. I just wanted to clear that if we fit music system from outside the TASC without any type of modifications to stock wiring (cutting) then should it be okay?
Old 26th August 2012, 18:21   #160
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2012 at 21:37.
dhawald3 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th August 2012, 21:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
So where have you fitted the speakers in the car?
No fitment of speakers. The player is a small one. That itself will be used. This is not a high-quality solution like you get with all around speakers. What I am using is a simple TECH-COM one. As affordable as nano itself.

For the product I am using, Please check the link :
Tech-Com affordable, latest, , Mobile Phones, Computer Parts, DVD, LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers

BUT, PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VOLUME OF THIS UNIT IS INSUFFICIENT FOR THE CAR. It is ok for the driver alone. So, please check it well before you buy. Also, check products from creative, iball etc before finalising.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. But, even after using that conversion unit one needs a HU or an AMP to play the music from car speakers. I just wanted to clear that if we fit music system from outside the TASC without any type of modifications to stock wiring (cutting) then should it be okay?
Please refer to the above answer and link.

If you buy a good player from a third party (say a pioneer one) and get it fitted in the car exactly like in any other car with speakers / woofer etc, EXCEPT THAT THE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY TO THE PLAYER IS GIVEN FROM THE CIGAR LIGHTER, I think, the warranty cannot be denied since you have not disturbed any of the company wiring.

But, I did not want to invest more in a nano. Also, most of the time, I will be listening to original old (very old !) songs and this habit continues since I am almost always alone in my car.

Last edited by KMohanan : 26th August 2012 at 21:53.
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 22:21   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check the thread - ICE for TATA NANO where one bhpian ( Amit Bharadwaj) has confirmed this particular fact ( warranty will not be void ) from a Delhi dealer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ta-nano-2.html

Last edited by silverado : 26th August 2012 at 22:23.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 22:16   #163
BHPian

Today I received a brochure from tata motors by post. Scanned copy attached. Informed my friend also and he checked up in RF motors. They informed that the item has arrived and available for fitment.

Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark-img_0001.jpg

I want to examine a car where the glove box is fitted and want to see what tata is doing to fill the gap in between the dashboard top and the glovebox bottom. If it is not sealed, it will be a comfortable living place for small cocroaches, ants etc etc like the train compartment seat gaps. I hope tata must have addressed this issue.

The second likely issue is the rattling.

Anyway, I want to first inspect cars after fitment and then decide.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:11   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The difference between the two trips being that from madurai to Rajapalayam, it was two lane roads all the way for 80km (160 up and down) and i was never able to go beyond 55kmph or rather never attempted to use fourth gear.
No offence, but why would you want to drive on 3rd at 55kmph? It should be possible to slot into 4th at 50 too if you revving alright and if the stretches allow for less downshifting (no speedbreakers/ ghats etc). I dont think the Nano 'knocks' at 45-50 kmph on 4th.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:45   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No offence, but why would you want to drive on 3rd at 55kmph? It should be possible to slot into 4th at 50 too if you revving alright and if the stretches allow for less downshifting (no speedbreakers/ ghats etc). I dont think the Nano 'knocks' at 45-50 kmph on 4th.
Sorry!! my bad for the confusing post. The road was bumpy and the road was full of traffic, i rarely touched 45-50 and once 55 for overtaking...hence had to go in 3rd all the way for want of better control.

I must say i did 3000km in that entire one week, visiting place from tiruchendur, madurai, palani, mayiladuthurai, chennai.....the car just did really good. Wherever i parked the car, the tourist cab drivers always had some questions for me. At palani, two cabbies even sat in my car and commented "never expected such a spacious car". It pulled gracefully with four people and luggage stuffed till brim the mountains of pazhamudircholai(near madurai,TN) and Tirutani(near chennai,TN) though they are small...yet they are hills.

From various interactions with people over the entire week, i concluded people had the worst perception in their mind about this cute little car. All because of TML marketing. I am really satisfied with my car and adore her like anything

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks