Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 18:51   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

Got the delivery of Nano today. I paid 1,67,000 INR for LX model including Insurance, excluding the RTO. It was a DEC 2011 manufactured model so I got a huge discount of 50,000 INR. As usual I was ready to face issues and have got them painted right on my face from the word go.
1) The clutch feels like it engages only after 3/4th travel, I guess the clutch cable is loose.

2) Some metal resonating noise at fixed rpm in every gear.

3) The car took 4-5 hicc-ups when after I got the delivery like there was no Petrol, it was the case indeed, filled-up 6 ltrs of fuel and still got the hicc-ups 3-4 times. After that they have'nt reappeared.

4) The car had 77 Kms on the odo, the dealer has godown 16 kms away and the car travelled there quiet a few no. of times as the new 2012 model was launched in the early Dec.

5) I have yet to take the AMC, will visit the TASS tomorrow to get it. Any suggestions?

6) Any suggestions on how to drive during run-in, especially for Nano?

7) The RHS RV mirror is damn tight to operate.

8) The passenger side front seat does'nt fully recline, Is it a issue or a feature?

Rest all iz Well! Wish me a happy Tata journey.

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:16   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No offence, but why would you want to drive on 3rd at 55kmph? It should be possible to slot into 4th at 50 too if you revving alright and if the stretches allow for less downshifting (no speedbreakers/ ghats etc). I dont think the Nano 'knocks' at 45-50 kmph on 4th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramven View Post
Sorry!! my bad for the confusing post. The road was bumpy and the road was full of traffic, i rarely touched 45-50 and once 55 for overtaking...hence had to go in 3rd all the way for want of better control.
Just wanted to know what FE you got at this speed. I have been commuting in the city daily with speeds not beyond 40 on the 4th. And I get an awful FE of 15kmpl without AC on the 2012 LX. I use the same petrol pump where I am sure the fuel is good. I haven't tried her on the highway. This is my city car and I want better FE inside the city.
I have written to TATA about this. They have promised to get back - hope they do.
Meanwhile, can anyone give some troubleshooting tips on my issue?
Old 7th September 2012, 12:27   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Just wanted to know what FE you got at this speed. I have been commuting in the city daily with speeds not beyond 40 on the 4th. And I get an awful FE of 15kmpl without AC on the 2012 LX. I use the same petrol pump where I am sure the fuel is good. I haven't tried her on the highway. This is my city car and I want better FE inside the city.
I have written to TATA about this. They have promised to get back - hope they do.
Meanwhile, can anyone give some troubleshooting tips on my issue?
In that entire stretch at 3rd gear with no brakes or little brakes I got 22kmpl.

I drive in Chennai and have done some homework as to when to commute to office. I travel 25km one way to my office. Anytime I start before 730 in the morning and return back home before 6 I get a FE of 23 in city.

If I start between 8am and 10am and come back between 6pm and 830pm. I get 16 or 15.9kmpl. Anytime after 10:30am if I start and comeback by 10 in the night I get 18-20. I have settled for this(last) timezone

I did this experiment for 3 consecutive weeks starting at the same time and filling at the same Shell petrol bunk all the time. I travel from Maduravoyal to OMR via porur everyday. I drive with AC on at knob 1 always.
sramven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 15:29   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramven View Post
In that entire stretch at 3rd gear with no brakes or little brakes I got 22kmpl.

I drive in Chennai and have done some homework as to when to commute to office. I travel 25km one way to my office. Anytime I start before 730 in the morning and return back home before 6 I get a FE of 23 in city.

If I start between 8am and 10am and come back between 6pm and 830pm. I get 16 or 15.9kmpl. Anytime after 10:30am if I start and comeback by 10 in the night I get 18-20. I have settled for this(last) timezone

I did this experiment for 3 consecutive weeks starting at the same time and filling at the same Shell petrol bunk all the time. I travel from Maduravoyal to OMR via porur everyday. I drive with AC on at knob 1 always.
Thats a WOW!

I shall be meeting the TATA customer care people 2morrow who have promised me in solving my issue with the low FE.

My queries -
Is it the Shell petrol that makes the difference?
Is it the speed that makes the difference. As I said earlier I have not been able to go beyond avg 40 on the tacho in peak traffic. I travel from alwarthirunagar to T-nagar and back (morn/eve) via KK nagar / Ashok nagar.
I try to maintain 3rd/4th at all times.
And mostly I have to stop at only one or two junctions, rest is no stoppage.
All my runs are without A/C only.
The car has done 2000 kms with one service.

Apart from this buggering issue, she is a gem of a machine.
Old 9th September 2012, 17:28   #170
BHPian

I wish to know how does Nano perform on steep inclines, some people say it runs out of breath. but I have also read that due to the rear wheel drive it is better on the hills compared to other low cost cars.

what is true?, please share your experiences.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:33   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
I wish to know how does Nano perform on steep inclines, some people say it runs out of breath. but I have also read that due to the rear wheel drive it is better on the hills compared to other low cost cars.

what is true?, please share your experiences.
It is a breeze to drive uphill. Having done a drive to Mumbai via the old highway (which has some steep ghats) on a load on 3 people with luggage I can safely vouch for that. Yes, if you stop a bit of clutch slipping is required to climb up but once you are in motion it is beautiful. Note: Clutch slipping is also required on the swift Vxi which we had taken on the same route some time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Thats a WOW!

I shall be meeting the TATA customer care people 2morrow who have promised me in solving my issue with the low FE.

My queries -
Is it the Shell petrol that makes the difference?
Is it the speed that makes the difference. As I said earlier I have not been able to go beyond avg 40 on the tacho in peak traffic. I travel from alwarthirunagar to T-nagar and back (morn/eve) via KK nagar / Ashok nagar.
I try to maintain 3rd/4th at all times.
And mostly I have to stop at only one or two junctions, rest is no stoppage.
All my runs are without A/C only.
The car has done 2000 kms with one service.

Apart from this buggering issue, she is a gem of a machine.
It is probably the driving style that makes the most difference. Upshifting at too low a speed is as bad as upshifting at too high a speed. I typically dont engage 4th on the nano all the way up to 50 and still manage to get a consistent FE of 18+. Also try to see if you are resting your foot (even touching) the clutch. And yes, check your brakes to ensure that the wheels are turning free.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:52   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
It is probably the driving style that makes the most difference. Upshifting at too low a speed is as bad as upshifting at too high a speed. I typically dont engage 4th on the nano all the way up to 50 and still manage to get a consistent FE of 18+. Also try to see if you are resting your foot (even touching) the clutch. And yes, check your brakes to ensure that the wheels are turning free.
Yup I agree, I try not to upshift at low speeds.
Though I am not a clutch rider, it is difficult at times to avoid it.
For the sake of not repeating my posts check out my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2901312
where I have mentioned my car update.
Old 1st October 2012, 20:28   #173
Senior - BHPian

Brand new Nano or preowned Alto

Ushering a new set of wheels into the family is always a matter of decisions. Will it be a Nano or an Alto or some other hatch?

My cousin needs to make a clear decision for a nice little second hatch at the earliest.

The budget is strictly max upto Rs.2 lakhs and no more on a cash down mode.

Context:

The current family steed is a Hyundai Getz serving a family of 5. With my second coz getting married there is a definite need to get another small hatch in the family just for city runabouts for odd errands by the gents and ladies in the house.

The requirements are as follows-
  1. Should be able to carry 4 for city use
  2. Mileage is the top priority combined with ease of use
  3. Should be cheap to own and maintain
  4. Max budget of Rs. 2 lakhs by cash hence no comfort of EMI schemes
Considering these options the only two cars that fits the budget is – Tata Nano and pre owned Alto

New Tata Nano Cx
  • Brand new car hence peace of mind for years to come
  • Great little hatch with best interior space and air conditioner
  • Ease of usage and takes very less space and decent mileage figures
Alto Lxi Pre owned
  • Highest selling basic hatch with backing of Maruti Service
  • Creature comforts such as power steering and a time tested car
  • Refined car, high on mileage and with boot space
This may be a relevant question for many others who are planning for a second hatch or even for first timers who are planning for their first set of wheels.

Now the question is that with these two cars so evenly matched in terms of cost of ownership and use, which one would you suggest and why for a minimum use of at least 5 years and if none of these what else.

Last edited by girishglg : 1st October 2012 at 20:52.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 20:42   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brand new Nano or preowned Alto

I suggest you to wait for the new Suzuki 800, which isn't far away. The pricing may turn out to be surprising, may be this is the new game changer from Maruti after the original 800 and repositioned Alto, What's the harm in waiting?
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 20:53   #175
BHPian

+1 to Anshuman. You should wait for the new Alto 800. It is a great package and is speculated to be launched on Oct. 16. And what is good, bookings are open right now. I would go with 2012 Alto 800. It is not everyday that India's largest selling car gets update. Hence, for now, Alto 800 2012 model is my choice.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 1st October 2012, 21:42   #176
BHPian

Even I would suggest to wait for the Alto 800. I read somewhere that It would be priced from 2.00 to 2.50 lacs. The base version could be within your cousin's budget criteria. The car seems a serious mix of alto/figo/a * but overall, the updates are fine.
Old 1st October 2012, 22:14   #177
BHPian

Wait for the new alto 800 and see if you like it.

If you're still interested in pre-worshipped then check out the Spark and the Santro too.
Both are easy to drive in the city. And they are bigger and better and safer(?) than the Nano and Alto.

I bought a used Spark last year for 2.2. Its a fun to drive vehicle. Mileage is low at 8-10 for city and 14-15 for highway with 100 % AC, when compared to cars like Nano and Alto which you have considered. Maintenance costs are also a bit high.

You will easily get 2009 model Sparks and Santros in your budget. You can also get Old Honda Citys and the 2004 City (dolphin type).

Check out and test drive the cars and decide what you like.

Cheers.
Old 1st October 2012, 23:00   #178
Senior - BHPian

The new Alto800 seems to be a good bet but will it be really available at Rs.2 lakhs on road? Seems highly unlikely given its specs in the other thread.

One key issue is the price which is actually budgeted for around Rs.1.5 l and upper side definitely not more than 2 on road, but for the new Nano Cx it was stretched to 2
Old 1st October 2012, 23:10   #179
BHPian

If your budget is 2L, you have a lot more options, not sure if these options are better than buying a new Nano, but there are options.

Alto commands the highest resale value among hatches and when I was looking out for a used hatch, I always felt I might always buy a new one istead of a used one because of the extremely high resale prioce of Alto. , you could look at other hatches with lesser mileage on them starting with Santro, Zen, Estillo, Wagon R or A-star.
Old 1st October 2012, 23:48   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Both are easy to drive in the city. And they are bigger and better and safer(?) than the Nano and Alto.
Sorry to confront you but Nano is safe in case of accidents, may be more or equivalent but not less than competition. It has been made keeping Euro NCAP norms (except ABS and EPS installation). Also bigger cabin size with intrusion bars (wherever required) make it safer than some higher priced cars.

As his budget is strictly below 2.5 lacs, new Alto OTR in Banglore will be go till 3-3.25. Nano has a great resale value. I have seen 2007 model LXI going as high as 1.5 to 1.7 lacs . Comapre it with a 2007 model Civic at 4.00 Lacs .

Well also Santro CNG/LPG could also be an option. You get more value for money as well as economy.

All the best for your search.

Regards,
Maddy

Last edited by Passiautonate : 1st October 2012 at 23:49. Reason: Alto instead of Nano

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks