Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 11:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Nano.. Is it the right choice?

1. USE only in CITY = Nothing beats Nano in City.

2. Ease of driving(for a lady) = No Power steering = Difficulty in parking, let the lady try it and decide.

3. Decent Mileage (15kmlt??) = definately more than that

4. Dirt cheap to maintain (like a two wheeler) = you bet. Dirt cheap.1st service cost me only 776rs.

5. Ability to potter around with 2 ppl (max 3) = rated to seat 4

6. Basically, it SHOULD to be a FILL IT and FORGET it car for the next 5 yrs. = 4 years is Standard company warranty, with such low usage it can easily go on till 5 years.

If you decide to buy one , go for LX ( It is the best selling variant by a big margin )

As far as Alto800 is concerned, it is not a bad choice but i find it pricey and cramped compared to Nano.

Last edited by silverado : 21st October 2012 at 11:06.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:27   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Nano is a decent car for the money you pay for. Its small, easy to drive, has good driving position, reasonably peppy till 60-70 kmph.

What puts me off are bits like a Battery that is *inside* the cabin, and also the mileage i have known from real users is not too great as was initially projected when the car was launched.

Fill it and Forget it?
A used Alto would fit the bill perfectly !
I have the same thoughts, I want the boot to open from the back like a boot should, and I want a PS, but I may just about bring myself to adjust to these, but Battery inside the car, I can't live with that thought, don't know why.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:33   #228
BHPian

Thanks guys.. Going for some car 'window' shopping including true value.. Will post my observations in the evening. My wife is ALL for the nano for now. She likes it very much..
Old 21st October 2012, 15:21   #229
BHPian

Get an Orange/Yellow Nano & Don't sell the jet! I guess a new nano would be far better than pre-owned vehicles. It should serve you well. Let your wife TD the car before you finalize.
Old 21st October 2012, 15:50   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
also the mileage i have known from real users is not too great as was initially projected when the car was launched.
Would disagree here. The Nano which I am driving hasn't had an oil change since purchased and still returns ~20kkmpl with A/C on always.

I posted this sometimes back Here And I always stick to speeds between 60-70kmph. Don't exceed it.

For city driving expect 15+ with A/C.

@Sathya - Initially you will find it difficult to park w/o the PS, but once you get used to it, it should be okay.
Old 21st October 2012, 16:32   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
.. Going for some car 'window' shopping including true value..
Will suggest to for a new one, with the full 4 year wty. Prerana motors here is offering alloys + graphics + couple of other points at no extra cost. Do check if the same offers are available there
Old 21st October 2012, 18:08   #232
BHPian

There is a new special edition Nano for sale nowadays with Alloys, Music system and a glovebox standard. I found the Nano to be an exceedingly good car for city usage. Ease of parking isn't just dependent on PS. That bit can be worked around easily.. Nano's trumpcard is its extremely small turning circle and footprint. Your Nano can fit into spots where even Alto cannot think of.

2 of my good friends own 2012 Tata Nano LXs and their cars easily return 18-20kmpl in Pune city, 23-24 on Expressway. Maintenance wise, let me tell you that it only costs as much as a plain-jane 150cc bike to service(if not less). You can also opt for AMC which works out almost as cheap.
Old 21st October 2012, 18:34   #233
Senior - BHPian

The nano is a good car with a few minor drawbacks. No PS, more iffy A.S.S than Maruti and a few more niggles that tata are slowly trying to resolve. Then of course there are things like the battery inside the car, no boot to open, no cubbyhole etc, but given a usage of 500 km per month, those should not be a major concern.

It is cheaper than the alto which is the only car I could recommend over it. My suggestion would be for her to test both cars and see which one she is more comfortable with.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:18   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls start pouring your suggestions guys. I am damn confused.
Quote:
and new Alto 800 is 3.63L. Is it really worth that 1.63L more than the nano for the use that I have quoted? Thats a hard sell to my brain!
Short answer is No. Long answer is the only thing your wife may not like about the Nano is the steering is a little hard to turn when the car is parked, I mean at 0kmph. The Nano has a fantastic AC which the Alto may not be able to beat. I get a consistent 20kmph with nearly 60% AC in my daily office travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
There is a new special edition Nano for sale nowadays with Alloys, Music system and a glovebox standard.
One word of caution. Don't go for the Nano because it's cheap (read: extra goodies). No doubt the car becomes more of a VFM now, but go for it only if your wife is happy with the choice. Living with a car for five years without loving the car is like ... a bit awkward to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The nano is a good car with a few minor drawbacks. No PS, more iffy A.S.S than Maruti and a few more niggles that tata are slowly trying to resolve. Then of course there are things like the battery inside the car, no boot to open, no cubbyhole etc, but given a usage of 500 km per month, those should not be a major concern.
Though the battery is inside the car, it does not leak, nor are there any fumes coming out of it. Lack of a hatch door is not missed at all. Any shopping / luggage can be stowed away easily in the rear seat/space. The dash offers huge space to store small items, and if you get a glovebox, these items could also be stored away from prying eyes.
Old 21st October 2012, 20:35   #235
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Dr. Suraj

I thought the top model was an automatic upgrade to Special Edition in select cities as it was for the same price as the top model. Am not sure. Pls check fast.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 21:14   #236
BHPian

Thanks Friends. That was helpful guys

Came back from the Car window shopping in the evening. Have decided to go ahead with the NANO CX. My wife likes it than the Alto for some reason. Dont know why! May go for NEON RUSH color (Green one).

I went thru the posts and some of the -ves mentioned were,

1. Inability to open the boot lid
2. Lack of PS
3. Battery inside the car

First and second are insignificant in my context. As said earlier, the car will be used for three reasons - Drop Kid to school and back (<10kms a day), Shunt to relatives place with max 2 people including the driver.. (<25kms a week), Grocery / Departmental store shopping (<20km/week).

The only luggage the Car will see is groceries and this can be accomodated in the back seat and floor. Nothing more will be carried as luggage in the car. Also, the car is NEVER going to see any highway (there are two big boys who will do that duty - XUV and the T-Jet). So there is no worry in that form as well.

PS is also not an issue, since my better half is used to 800's normal steering.

Reg. the battery, even I was shocked to see it under the driver's seat. But thats the compromise I have to make. Hope its not hazardous to health.

With all these in mind, Self and my wife have narrowed down to Nano CX. Will keep you all posted if there is a twist in the tale.

And on a lighter note.. if I need more power in my NANO, then I will pull it with my XUV or the Jet
Old 21st October 2012, 22:10   #237
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Just a simple google search came up with this:

http://www.tatanano.com/special-edition.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Dr. Suraj

I thought the top model was an automatic upgrade to Special Edition in select cities as it was for the same price as the top model. Am not sure. Pls check fast.
Thank you!
Thank you!!!

Going tomorrow itself! Shall book it within the week if everything goes fine.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:04   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reg. the battery, even I was shocked to see it under the driver's seat. But thats the compromise I have to make. Hope its not hazardous to health.

With all these in mind, Self and my wife have narrowed down to Nano CX. Will keep you all posted if there is a twist in the tale.

And on a lighter note.. if I need more power in my NANO, then I will pull it with my XUV or the Jet
The battery should not cause any problems, as so far there have been no reports of the same. Also please refrain from accessorizing the Nano too much. It's ability to cope with accessories consuming electric power is as yet untested.

CX is a better choice over LX because you get rid of some of the useless features of the top end model, viz the front power windows or the beige dashboard. I hope yours is a grey dashboard. You do lose out on some goodies like tinted windows and fog lights, but I doubt if they are a must-have feature in your scenario. Please do not use film!

LOL on the trick for more power!
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:47   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Friends. T
Came back from the Car window shopping in the evening. Have decided to go ahead with the NANO CX.
CX is hot with Lottery sellers in Kerala. For me, Black large front bumpers spoils the cuteness of Nano. I think you should get LX or the new special edition.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:17   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
CX is hot with Lottery sellers in Kerala. For me, Black large front bumpers spoils the cuteness of Nano. I think you should get LX or the new special edition.
For me, the window winder from CX fouls with my knee in both driver and passenger seats. I am ~6ft tall. Its not a biggie, but it feels uncomfy.
@Sathya You look like a well built man from your DP, your knees would foul too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks