Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:25   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano vs Maruti Alto vs Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I hope yours is a grey dashboard. You do lose out on some goodies like tinted windows and fog lights, but I doubt if they are a must-have feature in your scenario. Please do not use film!
Fog in Chennai?! sounds unlikely I do agree with the grey dashboard thoughm try to get that please. The beige is an odd one and also increases dash board reflection in the windshield.
In my case I went for the CX as the front windows are hardly ever rolled down due to AC usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
For me, the window winder from CX fouls with my knee in both driver and passenger seats. I am ~6ft tall. Its not a biggie, but it feels uncomfy. @Sathya You look like a well built man from your DP, your knees would foul too.
I think his wife is going to drive it more, so I do agree she should verify this. @antz, just unwind that winder a couple of times (reverse direction) and keep it in the dashboard area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
CX is hot with Lottery sellers in Kerala. For me, Black large front bumpers spoils the cuteness of Nano. I think you should get LX or the new special edition.
Totally subjective, but I guess this also depends on the colour of the car. On some shades the body coloured bumpers look odd. In my opinion only.
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:16   #242
BHPian

Booked the Nano CX "Neon Rush" - green color. The manual glass winder was not a problem for my wife.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/help. Now the count down starts.
Old 24th October 2012, 15:27   #243
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Manual Glass Winder hitting the sides of knees is a problem in many cars expecially for taller folks.

In the Nano feel body coloured bumpers add to the look significantly but that is of course an individuals own view and there are many who like the earlier black coloured bumper look from the M800 (and for that matter most cars) days, and wish that the top model too did not have body coloured bumpers.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:53   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Booked the Nano CX "Neon Rush" - green color. The manual glass winder was not a problem for my wife.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/help. Now the count down starts.
What's the delivery time Sathya?

And have they come out with new accessories for the car. I have been waiting for those for a year now. Anyways, congrats on your new buy. God knows I love this car. Fantastic to drive in the city.

A piece of advice though - all the mileage figures that you hear, please take it with a pinch of salt. I have been reading about guys claiming upto 20kmpl within the city with A/C. Now that is something I would put in the category "Seeing is Believing".

I have been commuting in Chennai for the past 10months now with low averages of around 14kmpl - the reason being - I have never been able to go above a speed of 40 through the bumper 2 bumper traffic. In fact my average speed would probably be around 30kmph. Hence the low mileage.

Wish you better luck with your Nano.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:56   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post

And have they come out with new accessories for the car. I have been waiting for those for a year now. Anyways, congrats on your new buy. God knows I love this car. Fantastic to drive in the city.

A piece of advice though - all the mileage figures that you hear, please take it with a pinch of salt. I have been reading about guys claiming upto 20kmpl within the city with A/C. Now that is something I would put in the category "Seeing is Believing".

I have been commuting in Chennai for the past 10months now with low averages of around 14kmpl - the reason being - I have never been able to go above a speed of 40 through the bumper 2 bumper traffic. In fact my average speed would probably be around 30kmph. Hence the low mileage.

Thanks man. I will be happy if I get 15kmlt. Not more, not less. Lets see. I am looking at getting a single glove box, remote locking and some decals as accessories.. I don't need any music system or anything since it will be used only for short spins.

I saw a JBL portable rechargeble speaker for 1300Rs which can work with mobile phones. I may buy 2 of them if needed just as an excuse for a music system!

Even I am excited with the Nano.. not sure why after having driven multiple better vehicles over time. Sure, there is something associated to that bug! Delivery is expected in 10-15 days and 3 days have already passed!
Old 25th October 2012, 16:06   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am excited with the Nano.. not sure why after having driven multiple better vehicles over time. Sure, there is something associated to that bug!
Perhaps it is like the way that folks in Hyderabad have cars but they still ride bikes... at least the folks who can balance a 2-wheeler.
Sure, in Germany, people have something better, more modern, lots of buttons to push on the steering wheel, but the classic VW bug still has its appeal among people who are into the kind of thing - it's the same way many people buy a Maruti or a Tata when there are tons of imports vying for the attention of the Indian folk.
Old 25th October 2012, 17:39   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Even I am excited with the Nano.. not sure why after having driven multiple better vehicles over time. Sure, there is something associated to that bug!
I remember the time when the Maruti 800 was introduced. Such excitement!
I dare say that the Nano created a similar flutter.

Talking of bugs, how I would love to see the TATA PIXEL on our roads - a futuristic car. Till then, NANO rules!
Old 30th October 2012, 14:26   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post

I do get 19Kmpl consistently with AC, in Pune. (tested cut-off to cut-off, over multiple fills).

Driving in the power range helps. I typically drive in second till about 30 kmph then third in 30-50 kmph range and fourth only after 50. Try doing that, it does help.

Quote:
Thanks man. I will be happy if I get 15kmlt. Not more, not less. Lets see. I am looking at getting a single glove box, remote locking and some decals as accessories.. I don't need any music system or anything since it will be used only for short spins.

I saw a JBL portable rechargeble speaker for 1300Rs which can work with mobile phones. I may buy 2 of them if needed just as an excuse for a music system!

Even I am excited with the Nano.. not sure why after having driven multiple better vehicles over time. Sure, there is something associated to that bug! Delivery is expected in 10-15 days and 3 days have already passed!
All the best for your new car. You will just have to get used to the braking, it is not progressive. Also, always wear a seatbelt!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 07:53   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I do get 19Kmpl consistently with AC, in Pune. (tested cut-off to cut-off, over multiple fills).

Driving in the power range helps. I typically drive in second till about 30 kmph then third in 30-50 kmph range and fourth only after 50. Try doing that, it does help.

All the best for your new car. You will just have to get used to the braking, it is not progressive. Also, always wear a seatbelt!
I second the FE observation as well as the power range. I get around 20kmpl tankful to tankful in my daily office drive.

Regarding the brakes, for planned braking they would suffice, however in case of panic or emergency braking it's an absolute MUST that you downshift as soon as possible. I recently found this out in my two days Ashtavinayak trip. If you want to stop right now and then, keep downshifting. Braking alone won't help.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:20   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

Quote:
I second the FE observation as well as the power range. I get around 20kmpl tankful to tankful in my daily office drive.

Regarding the brakes, for planned braking they would suffice, however in case of panic or emergency braking it's an absolute MUST that you downshift as soon as possible. I recently found this out in my two days Ashtavinayak trip. If you want to stop right now and then, keep downshifting. Braking alone won't help.
These are the first positive suggestions I have received in all these months from fellow T-bhpians to improve my in-city FE. Thanx 'torquecurve' and 'honeybee'. I shall definitely try this.

And I agree with the braking issue. I have had my share of close shaves as well and the best way to is to 1. Wear the safety belt, 2. Downshift immediately. Sharp braking especially in these monsoon conditions throws you against the windshield and the wheels almost lock!
Old 31st October 2012, 15:42   #251
BHPian

Just received a call from TAFE about the VIN number and to my disappointment the allotment from Factory is a JULY Manufactured vehicle. The 10th and 12th cnaracters are C and G which indicates 2012 July.

Am not sure why they are dispatching a July Manufactured car in October / November timeline. I am very disappointed..
Old 1st November 2012, 17:08   #252
BHPian

Quote:
The 10th and 12th cnaracters are C and G which indicates 2012 July.
Wow, how do you know this? I mean, I never thought of doing this with all the cars that I have bought so far (five cars so far).

On similar lines, how do I find out which month my Nano was built? Is it mentioned anywhere on the documents they give along with the vehicle delivery? Not that it matters - just curious, since you brought up this topic
Old 1st November 2012, 19:32   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Just received a call from TAFE about the VIN number and to my disappointment the allotment from Factory is a JULY Manufactured vehicle. The 10th and 12th cnaracters are C and G which indicates 2012 July.

Am not sure why they are dispatching a July Manufactured car in October / November timeline. I am very disappointed..
Sathya dont fret. Most cars (with the probable exception of Maruti) will be a month or two old when bought. All my cars till date have been at least 1 month old. One reason is travel time. These cars are road transported and are bulk transported at that. So the dealer has to order a minimum number of cars before they are transported to the dealer. Travel time from Gujarat to the south can be anywhere between 3-5 days. Then the loading time etc, that itself will take a week after order.
Dont worry though, the car has not run (other than the short factory test drive) and should be perfectly fine.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:21   #254
Senior - BHPian

The Nano has a digital odometer, so tampering with it should be difficult. Also the month and year of manufacturer is marked on the windshield (front passenger side) which can be read from outside.

@aabidansari, I hope you continue the practice of wearing seatbelts all the time, and not just because of the poor braking of the Nano.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:05   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Also the month and year of manufacturer is marked on the windshield (front passenger side) which can be read from outside.
Shall look for this.

Quote:
@aabidansari, I hope you continue the practice of wearing seatbelts all the time, and not just because of the poor braking of the Nano.
I am a staunch votary of safety while driving and I live by the Team-bhp motto 'I DRIVE SAFE'. Thankyou for your concern though, honeybee.

Most Viewed