Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 12:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra DCi Premium (or) Ford Figo Titanium Diesel for a recently married co

If you want a slightly more premium feel/exclusivity, then put your money on the Micra. For all other reasons, get the Figo. You get the added safety features at a cheaper price too.
Old 26th June 2011, 21:44   #32
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra DCi Premium (or) Ford Figo Titanium Diesel for a recently married co

I would recommend the Micra over the Figo. Even though it costs more and it doesnt offer ABS, japanese cars have unrivalled reliability.
If you plan to do more of city driving, then the high speed manners of the Micra will not matter to you either.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Dear Friends,

I have primarily driven only petrol cars till now, my daily drive is a Baleno. Recently there has been a compelling need to go for a diesel car, I travel once or twice out of station to my in-laws place (Chennai - Blore) every month, so this equates to a monthly running of atleast 1500/- kms per month.

Regarding Diesel:
I test drove the Ford figo & Nissan Micra diesel yesterday. I primarly liked the eagerness of the underlying micra engine in terms of power delivery, listing few likes & dislikes

Figo:
2.) Fully loaded with ABS and Airbags
Dislikes
1.) Bland looks
2.) Too common on Chennai roads
3.) Turbo-lag when compared to the Nissan DCi
4.) Found the ride quality to be harsh on bad roads.
5.) Too many rattles on the test drive car.

Micra:
1.) Cute looking car (wife liked it) & not too common on Chennai roads
2.) Good ride quality.
3.) No turbo lag, can be driven like a petrol.
4.) Premium feel, Good interiors when compared to figo.
5.) Good cabin insulation under normal accelration.

Dislikes
1.) EPS, I can live with it.
2.) Only D-airbags, no ABS & P-Airbags. :-(
3.) Only one service centre in Chennai

My Budget:
6.5-7 Lakhs

Now the big question is which car should I go for? Please help me select one between figo and micra, do not recommend other vehicles.

1.) How expensive would be micra to maintain? Meanwhile I have asked for spare parts list, need to visit their showroom to get the details?
2.) Resale value of micra & figo after 3 years?
3.) Assuming I booked a micra, Am I taking the risk of having an air bag only on the driver side, I am trying to understand the implication to both driver and front passenger in the case of impact?
4.) Which would give maximum bang for buck after installing petes box?

From the Petes India site, I will present you the power and torque figures:
Car OE Power Pete's Power OE Torque Pete's Torque
FORD Ikon 1.4 Tdci
68 83 160 190

MAHINDRA Logan
65 87 160 207
Note - Logan Dci engine used on the micra.

Rgds,
Vinod
Its a difficult decision to take. So, it depends on how you like your cup of tea. If you are a die-hard enthusiast and prefer handling, then Figo it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
The nissan engines are leagues ahead of Ford in engine design but their 1.5Dci motor is pretty old school like the Ford. I have not checked the specific output or power to weight ratio etc but I feel 1.4TDCi producing 69bhp should be better than 64bhp yielding 1.5dci. Just my thought.

I think construction wise also the engines are similar.

Nissans are not known for their resale value in India. And with 1500 vehicles or less selling every month I do not think the resale value is going to be good.
i feel since the cars are costly and the perception with people that the service is going to cost a bomb,resale prices can only go south.

Just my thought.
1500 vehicles from 25 dealers (60 per dealer) beats Ford's 6000 odd from over 200 dealers. So comparing apples to apples, Micra is doing rather well. Moreover, their service backup at the moment might be less but they are not going to sit still. Expansion is underway.

Resale wouldn't be bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I would recommend the Micra over the Figo. Even though it costs more and it doesnt offer ABS, japanese cars have unrivalled reliability.
If you plan to do more of city driving, then the high speed manners of the Micra will not matter to you either.
+1 to that.

Last edited by designersf : 28th June 2011 at 13:46.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
1500 vehicles from 25 dealers (60 per dealer) beats Ford's 6000 odd from over 200 dealers. So comparing apples to apples, Micra is doing rather well. Moreover, their service backup at the moment might be less but they are not going to sit still. Expansion is underway.

What does numbers/dealer have to do with anything?

If you live in Hyderabad, there is precisely one Mahindra dealer - his numbers/dealer will necessarily be better than Tata's.

And at least in Hyderabad most Ford showrooms (I know of 3 - two Fortune Ford, on Modi) are doing over 60 Figo/month.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
What does numbers/dealer have to do with anything?

If you live in Hyderabad, there is precisely one Mahindra dealer - his numbers/dealer will necessarily be better than Tata's.

And at least in Hyderabad most Ford showrooms (I know of 3 - two Fortune Ford, on Modi) are doing over 60 Figo/month.
Numbers/dealers say that the car is doing well inspite of having lesser dealers. The figo's sales are distributed all over India while the Micra sells 1500-2000 in the metros alone. Maybe if Nissan expands and matches Ford's dealer count, then Micra will sell just as much if not more.
Old 28th June 2011, 15:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Numbers/dealers say that the car is doing well inspite of having lesser dealers. The figo's sales are distributed all over India while the Micra sells 1500-2000 in the metros alone. Maybe if Nissan expands and matches Ford's dealer count, then Micra will sell just as much if not more.

I don't think so.

If Nissan is selling 100cars/month in Hyderabad (just an example - I don't have any numbers for Nissan), even if Nissan opens 10 more dealerships in Hyderabad the number of cars sold will probably not budge past, may be, 120.

Also, I don't think too many Figo sell outside tier-1 and tier-2 cities. Tier-2 and Tier-3 onwards is firm Maruti/Tata/Santro territory.

For that matter not many cars sell outside tier-1/tier-2 cities anyway - if you go to tier-3 onwards, while India has changed in Metros and Metro-1 cities in the last decade, in other places time has practically stopped.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:00   #37
BHPian

@ designerssf the relationship between dealers and the number of cars sold that you have drawn is erroneous.
if it were accurate then Ford Figo is actually doing much better than cars like i20/swift/ritz/indiaca because maruti has around 1000 dealerships in india and hyundai should have atleast 400-500 and tata also should have around 300 dealers or more.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I don't think so.

If Nissan is selling 100cars/month in Hyderabad (just an example - I don't have any numbers for Nissan), even if Nissan opens 10 more dealerships in Hyderabad the number of cars sold will probably not budge past, may be, 120.

Also, I don't think too many Figo sell outside tier-1 and tier-2 cities. Tier-2 and Tier-3 onwards is firm Maruti/Tata/Santro territory.

For that matter not many cars sell outside tier-1/tier-2 cities anyway - if you go to tier-3 onwards, while India has changed in Metros and Metro-1 cities in the last decade, in other places time has practically stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@ designerssf the relationship between dealers and the number of cars sold that you have drawn is erroneous.
if it were accurate then Ford Figo is actually doing much better than cars like i20/swift/ritz/indiaca because maruti has around 1000 dealerships in india and hyundai should have atleast 400-500 and tata also should have around 300 dealers or more.
Just the points I wanted to make and Adding to that

Even though Nissan might have only 25 dealership they have sales offices in tier 2 cities. And the 1500vehicles they sell in a month don't just come from Metros.

In tier 2 cities(and tier 1 cities to an extend but not so much in metros) these low volume cars tend to sell more because the customers (sometimes) look for exclusivity.

However in the metros, whatever vehicle you buy you will find another one of your car breed (except for the toys of the the super rich).
Old 29th June 2011, 13:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Apologies for being . I have never seen how an airbag operates, therefore I have following questions:

1. Do airbags release to face or body on impact? During impact the seating position may get affected right? In case the driver is having spectacles and the bags release to face, will it not be dangerous to eyes? I understand the risk of windshield breakage and risk of glass pieces to face and eyes, but this question is only with respect to risk to a spectacled person due to release of airbag.

2. Iam under the impression that ABS+EBD and airbags is a lifesaving combo and reduces the fatality by a considerable percentage. Am i missing something in situations pointed out above( children, situations where belts are not worn, etc )

My mind is valuating price difference of swift vxi + ABS and swift zxi.
1. Airbags will protect your upper torso & head from hitting the steering wheel/dashboard in case of frontal impact (Note that the front airbags will only deploy in case of frontal impact but some cars do offer curtain airbags, e.g. i20). Hitting one's head on the steering wheel during an accident is one of the major causes of deaths & airbags prevent the same.
2. Regarding spectacles, the impact of a person with an airbag will definitely be lesser than with the steering wheel/dashboard. Nevertheless, chances of injury due to spectacles cannot be ruled out. Airbags are most effective when used in conjunction with seat belts as seat belts will restrain your impact.
3. Car manufacturers advise pregnant women to be seated at the rear as the inflation of airbags may cause injury to the womb. Also in infants, due to their smaller body size, it is recommended to seat them in the rear & auxiliary seat belts are available for them.
4. But unquestionably, Airbags, ABS+EBD & use of seat belts definitely make your ride safer. I would recommend you to go for the Swift Zxi.
kunalsb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 13:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
1. Airbags will protect your upper torso & head from hitting the steering wheel/dashboard in case of frontal impact (Note that the front airbags will only deploy in case of frontal impact but some cars do offer curtain airbags, e.g. i20). Hitting one's head on the steering wheel during an accident is one of the major causes of deaths & airbags prevent the same.
2. Regarding spectacles, the impact of a person with an airbag will definitely be lesser than with the steering wheel/dashboard. Nevertheless, chances of injury due to spectacles cannot be ruled out. Airbags are most effective when used in conjunction with seat belts as seat belts will restrain your impact.
3. Car manufacturers advise pregnant women to be seated at the rear as the inflation of airbags may cause injury to the womb. Also in infants, due to their smaller body size, it is recommended to seat them in the rear & auxiliary seat belts are available for them.
4. But unquestionably, Airbags, ABS+EBD & use of seat belts definitely make your ride safer. I would recommend you to go for the Swift Zxi.

Appreciate the response. cleared a lot of doubts. Thank you.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Airbags are most effective when used in conjunction with seat belts as seat belts will restrain your impact
Informative post - Thanks!

Just want to add a couple more points. Airbags WILL NOT deploy if the seatbelts are not engaged. They are usually called SRS Airbags - Supplementary Restraint System. i.e., they are supplement the seat-belts. I had a TERRIBLE accident a couple of years ago, and it was the seatbelts that saved me. (Did not have airbags in my car then)
Old 29th June 2011, 14:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
However in the metros, whatever vehicle you buy you will find another one of your car breed (except for the toys of the the super rich).
Interesting point you made there, comparing the resale value to current sales.

If xK Figos are sold today, assuming a tenth of these are resold every year, there would be more Figos resold than Micras.
Just my $0.02, would the resale value not be better if there is less availability in the used car market? Of course, the assumption there is that people do want to buy both Figos and Micras at that time!
IMHO, the Figo would not age as well; not sure about the Micra either way though
Old 29th June 2011, 15:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very good explainatation. Just want to add something here -

You should adjust the steering (tilt) and leaning angle of the seat in such a way so that the steering is pointing to your chest and not your face. This ensures that the airbag, if deployed, will hit you chest and not your face.

I don't know about other cars but Honda has a big section for airbags and safety at the beginning of the manual and it explains in details about how airbags work and how you should set up you seating position.
And seat belts are absolutely a must.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Informative post - Thanks!

Just want to add a couple more points. Airbags WILL NOT deploy if the seatbelts are not engaged. They are usually called SRS Airbags - Supplementary Restraint System. i.e., they are supplement the seat-belts. I had a TERRIBLE accident a couple of years ago, and it was the seatbelts that saved me. (Did not have airbags in my car then)
This necessarily is not true. Airbags may deploy whether or not seat belts are on.

And when you say Airbags supplement the seat-belts, you are absolutely right. Seat Belts are indeed are the Primary Restraint system and Airbags Secondary. Doesnt mean Airbags depend on Seat Belts to actually deploy.

Only that without seat belts on, Airbag deployment is not as effective safety measure, and can cause injuries.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
This necessarily is not true. Airbags may deploy whether or not seat belts are on.

And when you say Airbags supplement the seat-belts, you are absolutely right. Seat Belts are indeed are the Primary Restraint system and Airbags Secondary. Doesnt mean Airbags depend on Seat Belts to actually deploy.

Only that without seat belts on, Airbag deployment is not as effective safety measure, and can cause injuries.

In case of a 30kmph-into-concrete accident (which is the minimum acceleration threshold for airbags in Fords), if you are not wearing seatbelts and airbag deploys - it will cause more injuries than you could have had with your head hitting the dashboard/steering.

Without seatbelts restraining your body, you will end up very close to the steering/dashboard before the airbag has deployed and bag will hit you (rather than you hitting the bag) with more force than a heavyweight boxer's punch + your own momentum + the hard lining of the steering/dashboard will still hit you (it did not have any time to get out of the way) riding on the airbag. Without the airbag, you still have the last two, but at least the boxer's punch is missing.

AFAIK most if not all cars disable airbags if seatbelts are not used. In in many cars in US passenger side seatbelts are disabled if the weight of the passenger is too low (car decides there is a child upfront).

By the way, if anyone thinks spending $$$$ is the way to get safety but doesn't even want to wear a seatbelt properly - fool is too mild a word to describe such a guy.

Most Viewed