Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 09:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Liva is a new product in the market, and i have been barely able to see it on the road, i would wait for some time for the product to mature in the market before booking on one, not sure how the car ages, it is a Toyota after all. so it should be ok, but then again they have skimped on the parts, would the paint hold good, service networks are ok, but not as wide spread as Suzuki, what are the maintenance costs, et al.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 10:09   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Even though I am late into the thread, I would recommend you to look for Swift or i20. I have voted for i20 as I feel that the price is justified. It will give you a lot more power over Swift, has good engine and the interiors are the best in the segment.

Between Ritz and Liva, go for Liva! Its new and has Toyota backing. Looks a lot lot better than Ritz. I dont know about the performance though. The point in favour of Ritz is that it has phenomenal Maruti A.S.S.
i spoke to a few real owners of i20 crdi. All of them complained about steering rattle as well as higher cost of service, esp at 10,000 and 30,000.
As for Swift, I really do not understand why it costs 15K more than RITZ, even though RITZ as ABS and Swift VDI has no ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Liva is a new product in the market, and i have been barely able to see it on the road, i would wait for some time for the product to mature in the market before booking on one, not sure how the car ages, it is a Toyota after all. so it should be ok, but then again they have skimped on the parts, would the paint hold good, service networks are ok, but not as wide spread as Suzuki, what are the maintenance costs, et al.
I really doubt I will run into much problems with Liva. Paint should hold good and for service cost, I spoke to corolla owners(diesel as well as petrol). They just go to service center once a year every 10,000kms. Never need to go there again. I have never had a car ever which I took to service center just once a year. I really want to experience that, and hopefully, Liva should give me that.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:18   #138
Senior - BHPian

Excellent, try put both, decide and let us know. Toyota is a trust worthy brand and should serve well for a long time. MSIL has a lot of issues at their factory now. So would definitely doubt the current batch of cars in production.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:40   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I really doubt I will run into much problems with Liva.
While I was hunting for a new car, I had decided to buy Etios petrol (not Liva). I followed their Facebook page for three months. And guess what? I was horror-struck and canceled my booking.

There is not much to see on their Facebook fan page now since Toyota now actively deletes problems reported by users and bans them.

The different problems reported by Etios owners on Facebook page were-
1. Half mileage than claimed (complained by 90% owners). Never fixed. Kept getting worse. In city, it is always 9kpl or less.
2. Rain water seeping inside the car (complained by dozens of owners). Never fixed.
3. Premature clutch failure. Complained by a couple of owners. So, they all can't be novice.
4. A couple of 10k cost of repairing scratches/dents. Two-three owners said so.
5. Noise and rattling much higher than test car. Keeps getting worse exponentially with time. Hundreds agree.
7. Worst customer support possible. Every user who had complained about their cars faced this. I too faced it during booking alone only. Very pathetic! I never expected it from a company like Toyota! Toyota, what are you doing?!

I don't remember many more complaints since it has been two months since I stopped reading the posts on Facebook. In summary, I would say that I really wanted and still want an Etios but horrible owner experience is keeping me away from Etios.

Hope this helps. All the best!

PS: I am surprised to see a mod asking for advice like a regular T-BHP member. But then I am really new here
Old 11th October 2011, 19:24   #140
BHPian

Quote:
i spoke to a few real owners of i20 crdi. All of them complained about steering rattle as well as higher cost of service, esp at 10,000 and 30,000.
As for Swift, I really do not understand why it costs 15K more than RITZ, even though RITZ as ABS and Swift VDI has no ABS

I really doubt I will run into much problems with Liva. Paint should hold good and for service cost, I spoke to corolla owners(diesel as well as petrol). They just go to service center once a year every 10,000kms. Never need to go there again. I have never had a car ever which I took to service center just once a year. I really want to experience that, and hopefully, Liva should give me that.
I have driven my Blu (Liva Petrol) for around 1300 kms in around 2 months, and have not faced a single issue till now. The car is a breeze to drive, and except for interior plastic (The one in lighter shade, Black plastic above dash looks good) and a little annoying light doors, everything seems to be at its place. First service was being done after a month of purchase (700kms), and dealer has asked me to come back only at 10,000 kms for the second service, and this testifies their confidence in the product.

Car is built to a cost, but is surely built to last. No rattles, Decent NVH levels (Got the underbody coating, and it has done wonders), nice gearshift, huge space and puts even Honda Civic to shame in this department

I am not sure how diesel variant would be, but since it is the famous D4-D, there should not be any issues.

For the details, the initial ownership review with pics is coming this weekend.
Old 15th October 2011, 20:13   #141
Team-BHP Support

After another rounds of TDs., now we are closing in.
Lead contender is the scooter, followed by Ritz and i20
Yes, i20 is back in reckoning, because of its engine, and the 1.5-4month waiting on Liva.

With Liva, waiting in PB is 4 months, and in Noida its 1.5 months. Something due to silly Toyota policy. Since it will require a lot of hoop jumping to register a car on rental address, it means, we may end up booking in Ludhiana itself.

Hopefully, we will get a car by first week of Jan as Toyota ramps up production.
MEanwhile the 5.8L i20 again makes a comeback.
Hopefully, new cars have the steering rattle sorted out!

Lets see, Liva is looking like the winner, and by mid of next week, booking will be done!

Family is also keen on not taking a Maruti. They say(going by dzire petrol experience) that Marutis do not age well.

BTW, we also drove the polo. What a silly car. It has a boot where you can stuff 10 dead bodies, and rear legroom of an 800.
What was VW thinking? I guess they wanted to make a load carrier, and ended up making a car.
Real "duh" thing.
And the ergonomics are nothing to write about too. I guess, thats why it does not sell much.
You may be wondering, how did I goto the Europeans. Well we drove the XUV also, though its definitely NOT going to be our small car
Old 15th October 2011, 20:47   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, we also drove the polo. What a silly car. It has a boot where you can stuff 10 dead bodies, and rear legroom of an 800.
What was VW thinking? I guess they wanted to make a load carrier, and ended up making a car.
I guess the Polo was designed with primarily the European hatchback market in mind, where rear legroom is not really much of a priority. Great hatchback for two to travel comfortably in, and take all their luggage/dead bodies.
Old 16th October 2011, 03:09   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you getting pulled in by the whole package of the i20? the i20 effect!!!!

tsk, i would suggest i20 only if you do have some info from a concrete source that the steering rattles and a/c cooling issues have been sorted.nelse, as i said above it is the i20 effect.
Old 16th October 2011, 09:35   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, i20 is back in reckoning, because of its engine, and the 1.5-4month waiting on Liva.

A regular servicing of the i20 with just oil change and air filter cost Rs.3,200. This is without alignment and balancing. This was the 5K kms service. Next service is again 10K kms.
Old 16th October 2011, 13:21   #145
Team-BHP Support

I was told that the diesel service interval is 10K, is it not true for the i20?
Old 16th October 2011, 13:27   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

A regular servicing of the i20 with just oil change and air filter cost Rs.3,200. This is without alignment and balancing. This was the 5K kms service. Next service is again 10K kms.
Yes. You are right about the cost. I was charged 4k for my 10k service including alignment / balancing / oil change.

But the intervals are 10k kms and not 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I was told that the diesel service interval is 10K, is it not true for the i20?
Yes. It's 10k or 6 months.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:46   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lead contender is the scooter
Just thought of sharing, since we were in similar situations. The "scooter" was the lead contender for us too, but we ended up deciding on the Micra dCi (at least so far). We are planning to take another round of TDs of Liva & Micra this week to finalize.

Quote:
Family is also keen on not taking a Maruti. They say(going by dzire petrol experience) that Marutis do not age well.
I agree 100%, but only for newer marutis. I am personally using the Alto for the past 7 years with more than 150K on it. I can boast of it's quality. Same goes for my uncle's Maruti 800 (1994).

No surprises since the Alto used to cost something similar to what it is today.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:25   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just thought of sharing, since we were in similar situations. The "scooter" was the lead contender for us too, but we ended up deciding on the Micra dCi (at least so far). We are planning to take another round of TDs of Liva & Micra this week to finalize.
Dis you feel Micra was a good Highway car too? In my TD of the Micra, i felt it was a great city car , but was not sure of stability and power for highway driving. Liva may offer city drivability plus may be good for the highway too. That's my guess, yet to TD the Liva diesel.
Old 16th October 2011, 21:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

The advantages of Ritz are
1. It is a tall boy model with high seat and head room
2, Stable on High way.
3. Fuel economy
5. After all the MSIL's after sales Service.
Negative is the look of the car from behind.
Old 16th October 2011, 21:28   #150
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't really take the TD car onto the highway & the drive was limited in the city. I am sure that it is a decent performer & is certainly no scorcher like the i20 CRDi.

We are still a week away before we put down the money on a car, but had it not been for the feel good factor of the Micra vis a vis the Liva, the Liva would have won owing to a better brand presence in India.

Hope that helps.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nri199 View Post
Dis you feel Micra was a good Highway car too? In my TD of the Micra, i felt it was a great city car , but was not sure of stability and power for highway driving. Liva may offer city drivability plus may be good for the highway too. That's my guess, yet to TD the Liva diesel.

Most Viewed