Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 02:32   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Hey tsk,

Congrats on the Liva! We too have just booked a GD variant, without the safety pack (I specifically did not want airbags as without the seat belt sensors which beep, there is a possibility of passengers not wearing their seat belt, especially given that this would be chauffeur driven only).
While many feel that reliability is not up to par, and even A.S.S. may not be, lets hope that Toyota realizes that a Etios owner could one day upgrade to the Corolla/Innova, and stay within the Toyota family provided the Etios creates a good impression on them. I hope this is the Qualis of the hatchback segment (bare basic, dated, but reliable and how!)
I believe we might have chosen blue or red as well. Dealer says delivery next month, what about yours?
Old 28th October 2011, 11:12   #167
Team-BHP Support

My dealer is saying delivery in March.
Toyota is a company which discriminates against buyers in smaller cities
Old 31st October 2011, 17:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congrats on the Liva ! I just had the feeling that you would book the Liva D.
I took delivery of A Colorado Red Figo TDCI , at 5.8 OTR Mumbai its VFM personified. With 500+ kms in 1 week , i can safely saw there is no STALLING issues , and i have got 14-15 in my first tank full ( all 500 kms in bumper to bumper traffic)

Wish you many happy & Safe miles.
karizma_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:49   #169
BHPian

Hi Guys,

First of all congrats TSK for booking the Liva.

Even I am going through the same dilemma. Figo ZXI Diesel or Liva GD? I have taken a test drive of both and have the following conclusions:-

+ves of Figo
1. Drivers Car
2. Better Interiors

+ves of Liva
1. Comfortable and spacious
2. ABS is present in the GD version of Liva whereas its only present in the titanium version of Figo which is 30k more expensive.

External build quality is more or less same for both the cars. Figo might have a edge here. I am tilted towards the Liva because of the comfort and space it offers.
I also hated the interiors which looks cheap and flimsy. My question to you all is that do you think the interiors will last a long time. As i am planning to keep this car for at least 6 years.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Last edited by footloose15 : 16th November 2011 at 13:51.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:19   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by footloose15 View Post
I also hated the interiors which looks cheap and flimsy. My question to you all is that do you think the interiors will last a long time. As i am planning to keep this car for at least 6 years.

Thanks,
Yes, I do think so. I also intend to keep it for 6 years or even more.
So the interiors will be cheap looking, but they will last, and keep looking same cheap looking after 6 years
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 15:42   #171
BHPian

LOL thats a nice way to put it. I am also tilted towards the liva. Will most probably book it in 3-4 weeks time.

BTW TSK you write really well
Old 17th November 2011, 01:43   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

First of all congrats TSK for booking the Liva.

Even I am going through the same dilemma. Figo ZXI Diesel or Liva GD? I have taken a test drive of both and have the following conclusions:-

+ves of Figo
1. Drivers Car
2. Better Interiors

+ves of Liva
1. Comfortable and spacious
2. ABS is present in the GD version of Liva whereas its only present in the titanium version of Figo which is 30k more expensive.

External build quality is more or less same for both the cars. Figo might have a edge here. I am tilted towards the Liva because of the comfort and space it offers.

Thanks,
@Tsk: Surprising you had to wait for so long. Do you think it is because of the safety package that has typically lower demand?
We just got our Liva around 10 days back, within a couple of weeks of deciding.

@footloose
We were actually in a similar dilemma as well, and recently picked up a Liva over the Figo. Being a Ford Owner, with the Fiesta TDCi that was due for replacement @ 85,000kms, we were very keen on another (our 4th) Ford - the Figo to replace it. Specially due to the reliable nature of all our existing Fords.
However, we ended up getting the Liva, reason to be explained below.
Moving from a Fiesta, which is very identical to the Figo, this is what I feel the Ford does well in, over the Toyota:
- Superb stability, well weighted steering, great handling
- Ride quality at speed - go over a road undulation in a Fiesta, and any other jap car, and there is a difference. Fords have a very flat ride quality, which though very bumpy at low speeds to the point of being jarring, flattens the road at higher speeds. This is great on uneven roads at high speeds, where the road goes up and down randomly.
- Value for Money: lets start with 2 reverse lights, a tacho (imp), bluetooth enabled music system, etc for a lower price.
- Better visibility over the Toyota due to the toyota's high dashboard, and thicker A Pillars
- Better interior fit and finish: Sorry tsk, but our Liva's front left dashboard mounted speaker cover has come loose, as has the center console (which to be fair could have happened during the HU installation - just needs to be pushed back in place). In comparison, the Fords have had no such issue. In fact, even our old 2003 Corolla had a panel come loose, or a uneven spacing around the HU - something seen in other corolla's as well.
However, at the same time, the Liva's interiors should last barring a few small issues such as these

The Liva scored on the following:
- Better perceived reliability, lower ownership costs, better resale value: All simply due to the Toyota badge. As this was not to be my car, but rather one that would be used by family members, guests, pets, household chores, office chores and staff use, self driving with no one to park in a congested area; these were important for us. Plus, with european brands in the house otherwise, it was important to have a Japanese simply for the reliability they offered. We needed something that would last and not breakdown often.
The Ford Figo scared me reports of the engine stalling, and other small issues - however, all of our past 3 Fords have been supremely reliable, so this was something we were willing to risk.
- Higher seating, lighter steering and clutch: a big bonus for our requirement as a city car and for the duties it would perform. Barring me, no one liked a heavy steering and clutch in the car.
- ABS available in base model, without airbags: something I really wanted! In the Figo, we would have to get the airbags as well - something that did not make sense without an audible seatbelt warning to make people buckle up, especially when chauffeur driven with children.
- FE: Expected to be much more fuel efficient - We have done 300kms on 3/8ths of our tank according to the digital fuel gauge.
- Softer suspension for a better city ride quality. Planning on reducing tyre pressure by 2PSI to help.
- Surprisingly more refined than the Fiesta, or maybe its because I have not been ripping it, like i do the fiesta
- Better legroom, though not by much. The Higher seats help. Perfect for our needs

The rest between the cars such as the performance, A.C., trunk space, etc. is quite similar so that was not much of a problem.
In a nutshell: If you love to drive, and will be driving this primarily, get the Figo. Each drive will be worth it!
For chauffeur driven, and thinking from the head and not the heart: Get the Toyota.

Hope this helps!

@karizma_devil: Do keep us updated about the Figo. Eager to see new reports to see if Ford is taking any action against these common issues.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 12:12   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
simply for the reliability they offered. We needed something that would last and not breakdown often.
The Ford Figo scared me reports of the engine stalling, and other small issues - however, all of our past 3 Fords have been supremely reliable, so this was something we were willing to risk.
Thank you so much for your explanation. I do agree fords are truly drivers dream. We have a ikon 1.6 zxi(2003) at home and I find it one of the best cars that I have driven.

As I have quoted your points above. I am more tilted towards the liva because I think it should be more reliable than figo. My friend's figo is a year old and it has already started giving him problems. Steering column had to be replaced as the dealer said that it was manufacturing defect. I can live with small things like the speaker cover coming off but not with breakdowns or steering failures. For me the major criterion is reliability and comfort within a budget of 6.5 lakhs.

The new car will be replacing my wagon r which off late has started giving me multiple problems. We still have the ikon as my dad doesn't want to let it go .

Lets see its a close call. I have now left it to my family to decide and they like liva for the points that you have listed.
Old 18th November 2011, 21:55   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I have quoted your points above. I am more tilted towards the liva because I think it should be more reliable than figo. My friend's figo is a year old and it has already started giving him problems. Steering column had to be replaced as the dealer said that it was manufacturing defect. I can live with small things like the speaker cover coming off but not with breakdowns or steering failures. For me the major criterion is reliability and comfort within a budget of 6.5 lakhs.

The new car will be replacing my wagon r which off late has started giving me multiple problems. We still have the ikon as my dad doesn't want to let it go .

Lets see its a close call. I have now left it to my family to decide and they like liva for the points that you have listed.
Trust me, the points I quoted were a big hit with most of the family. In fact, the space available, ride quality, features, performance, and uber light steering were a big plus with some of my family members as I found out last night when they drove the car.
Since you have the Ikon, this would make much more sense. Even the Fiesta isn't as much fun to drive as the Ikon due to its steering and eager 1.6 Mill. That's the reason we got two of them (2000,2001) instead of an Accent or so which were popular during those times!
Dad absolutely loves Fords, and so do I. In fact, even though our goal was to replace the Fiesta, and get the Liva for the company, the Fiesta is doing so good that he's decided to keep it at the office instead for some more time!

From a WagonR, the Liva is a worthy upgrade, and you will definitely be happy!

Most Viewed