Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 08:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

I suspect that you have become used to the indica in such a way that you have defined your new car's criteria in such a manner such that nothing but another indica, or possibly a vista can manage it :P

I mean look at it.
You need
Space
Cheap to service
These alone should zero you down onto a tata
but you add a manageable price and straight line stability, and it spells TATA. You're looking for everything the indica has, and a little more. I'm not sure there exists such a vehicle. Else you'll have to compromise on something.

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th July 2011 at 08:43.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:20   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I suspect that you have become used to the indica in such a way that you have defined your new car's criteria in such a manner such that nothing but another indica, or possibly a vista can manage it :P

I mean look at it.
You need
Space
Cheap to service
These alone should zero you down onto a tata
but you add a manageable price and straight line stability, and it spells TATA. You're looking for everything the indica has, and a little more. I'm not sure there exists such a vehicle. Else you'll have to compromise on something.
You misread my criteria.
I need space, quality and cheap to service.
By quality I mean that on the day of delivery all the lights should not stop working. So that rules out the Tata's. 99% its going to be the ritz. Will decide by the weekend.
Old 6th July 2011, 05:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

hey tsk,

I don't mean to intrude on your thread but after going through the past 5 pages, it seems that my requirements are almost the same as yours,

1. diesel engine
2. comfort
3. reliable
4. cheap to maintain & run

I don't need anything fancy, not even power windows. All I am looking for is a basic car with air conditioning & power steering that is cheap to run & maintain. Also, I would be using this car extensively, want an engine that can run strong for at least 1.5 lac kms.

I was really inclined on the Micra but only because of that Logan engine. I have heard too many positives for that engine from taxi drivers (local as well as meru). But then the Nissan service network bothers me.

I was also considering Indica Vista Quadrajet or the eV2, but then I don't want to go wrong & looking at your opinions, I am not sure what to think of Indicas any more.

I am not considering Maruti, have had enough of them & their arrogance (MASS). The only other option it seems is Figo.

Any suggestions, in case you have test-driven the Figo? Also, are you aware of any Fiestas that are running strong even after about 1.5 lac kms with this 1.4 diesel mill (since Figo also has the same engine)?

Lastly, can you please briefly enlighten about an Indica? I mean, since you have owned Tata vehicles, I just want to have first-hand information so that I can take an informed decision based on something authentic. Please.

@all: Guys, please suggest some car for me as well. Also, how important is an intercooler in a diesel engine? I read that Micra does not have an intercooler, whereas Figo & Indica Vista Quadrajet & Indica eV2 have it along with the Swift & Ritz.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 6th July 2011 at 05:22.
Old 8th July 2011, 06:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

hi all,

As put in my previous post above, I am on the lookout of a diesel car. So yesterday evening, I test drove the Indica eV2 CR4 for about 6 kms. My intial impressions were that the engine is revv-happy especially when compared to the TDi engines, however, it does not have the refinement or power of the QJD. I also did not like the drive, & one of the things that were immediately noticeable was the high accelarator pedal.

I couldn't test drive the Vista, planning to do that tomorrow morning. However, a surprising information that my office cab driver told me was that the Vista QJD's clutch has plastic components which are prone to early failure. The reason he gave was that the parts are of plastic & so don't last long. He had mentioned some thing about the clutch piston being of plastic. Can anybody confirm his statements?

Anyways, I have taken quotes for OTR prices from a few dealers of both the cars. Now both are costing 5lacs OTR (for the base versions i.e. LXi & Terra) & am confused as to which one is a better buy technically. Guys please help. Also, any idea what's the on road price for Ritz Ldi these days in NCR?
Old 8th July 2011, 11:10   #65
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hi all,

As put in my previous post above, I am on the lookout of a diesel car. So yesterday evening, I test drove the Indica eV2 CR4 for about 6 kms. My intial impressions were that the engine is revv-happy especially when compared to the TDi engines, however, it does not have the refinement or power of the QJD. I also did not like the drive, & one of the things that were immediately noticeable was the high accelarator pedal.

I couldn't test drive the Vista, planning to do that tomorrow morning. However, a surprising information that my office cab driver told me was that the Vista QJD's clutch has plastic components which are prone to early failure. The reason he gave was that the parts are of plastic & so don't last long. He had mentioned some thing about the clutch piston being of plastic. Can anybody confirm his statements?

Anyways, I have taken quotes for OTR prices from a few dealers of both the cars. Now both are costing 5lacs OTR (for the base versions i.e. LXi & Terra) & am confused as to which one is a better buy technically. Guys please help. Also, any idea what's the on road price for Ritz Ldi these days in NCR?
I had bought Vista in Oct 2008. Till date ODO is 47.5K.

I bought it because my requirement was space and ability for long distance drives.

AC was not great compared to old indica.

i get a milage of 13.5/14.5 in city with/without ac

Highway around 17-18 kmpl

Recently i had done a 6k trip around 5 states. solo drive. not at all fatigued.

Apart from regular service, i did not face any major problem. But GC is less . it will scrap speed breakers with 5 persons on board( bangalore speed breakers are class of its own. they are like climbing a wall)

Two of my friends had Indica/indigo dicor( not CR4) they are getting 16kmpl in city

One of them sold his spark and bought Indigo CS dicor.

He had problems with spark like alternator failed with in a week, car stalled after a month or two on the road
Old 9th July 2011, 03:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^ hey rkg, thanks for your response mate. I am relieved to hear that there haven't been any major problems with the Vista. The one big concern that my cab driver told me about was the plastic clutch piston & it's short life, & honestly, this has scared me quite a bit since I was getting inclined towards the Vista only.

As for the DiCOR engine, I have heard about quite a few problems with that engine like with the head gasket or the oil filter being too expensive etc. Have your friends any such issues? The new CR4 engine, as many have said, is actually a reworked DiCOR engine which Tata have brought out into the market again. And the main concern that people have shown for this engine is the cost of the oil filter & other issues with the engine as with the DiCOR earlier.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:05   #67
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ hey rkg, thanks for your response mate. I am relieved to hear that there haven't been any major problems with the Vista. The one big concern that my cab driver told me about was the plastic clutch piston & it's short life, & honestly, this has scared me quite a bit since I was getting inclined towards the Vista only.

As for the DiCOR engine, I have heard about quite a few problems with that engine like with the head gasket or the oil filter being too expensive etc. Have your friends any such issues? The new CR4 engine, as many have said, is actually a reworked DiCOR engine which Tata have brought out into the market again. And the main concern that people have shown for this engine is the cost of the oil filter & other issues with the engine as with the DiCOR earlier.
One of my friend who is using DICOR it is his third indica. He graduates from Indica NA to Indica turbo to Dicor. he is happy with it. he never said about gaskat etc. but i have to check it specifically. when i asked any problems he said fine.

The other guy is the one who sold spark. he is happy with milage. he also did not mention any problems so far. both have earlier DICOR's only. not CR4
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:49   #68
BHPian

sorry to bump an old topic, but i am in a similar situation. so TSK1979 what did you finally decide on? considering now that the new Swift is launched.

I myself am leaning towards to Ritz VDi, 594k in my city and one of the most efficient diesel hatch. So far have owned 4 Maruti Suzuki cars ie. 1990 800, 1997 Esteem Lx, 2006 Swift Zxi, 2010 Wagon R Vxi, and have never really have had a problem with their A.S.s.,, and since there are so many sales reps in a single showroom on commission basis that the competition is fierce between them, so they tend to treat you well through the buying process as well. i mean they are ignorant with not much knowledge about the vehicle as such, but they are nice to you. (as experienced with the purchase of my Wagon R Vxi in October last year.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hey TSK, what did you decide/buy?
Old 13th September 2011, 17:53   #70
Team-BHP Support

See Toyota launched the Etios, which has confused us further.
So its Ritz/Micra/Etios in the fray.
Need to do a TD soon
Old 13th September 2011, 18:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
See Toyota launched the Etios, which has confused us further.
So its Ritz/Micra/Etios in the fray.
Need to do a TD soon
It should be either Ritz or Liva.Do you have a nissan service station near by ?
Old 13th September 2011, 19:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

With these kind of requirements, I would settle down for New Swift.
No offense but I personally cannot digest the way Ritz looks!! Micra is too girly and Etios lacks outright quality.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
With these kind of requirements, I would settle down for New Swift.
No offense but I personally cannot digest the way Ritz looks!! Micra is too girly and Etios lacks outright quality.
Quite right, but with the everlasting waiting period of Swift, the most logical choice is Figo.
It should be the choice.

It isnt sluggish. (Although it does not have exhilarating performance)
Handling is best in class.
Ride is pretty good.
Space is excellent by hatchback standards.
Has most of the must needed safety features (ABS,Airbags)
Extremely well priced.

Other than the demoralizing looks (though nowhere as bad as Ritz) and Ford A.S.S (which some people don't claim to be that bad) I dont see anything horribly wrong with this car.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

It's simple; if you can wait for it and afford it, go for the Swift Diesel. It's terrific value for money all said and done and it is a hassle free car to own. Everyone will attest to that. But purely from a practicality standpoint, why pay extra when a no nonsense diesel commuter is what you want? The Figo is a terrific option and it won't have anywhere near the waiting period of the Swift. And as a friend of mine (who owns the Figo) constantly tells me, it's an Indian car made by an American company!

An outside contender could be the Beat Diesel, after all Chevy's 3 year maintenance programs are excellent too. Why not consider that too?
Old 14th September 2011, 11:25   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
It's simple; if you can wait for it and afford it, go for the Swift Diesel. It's terrific value for money all said and done and it is a hassle free car to own. Everyone will attest to that. But purely from a practicality standpoint, why pay extra when a no nonsense diesel commuter is what you want? The Figo is a terrific option and it won't have anywhere near the waiting period of the Swift. And as a friend of mine (who owns the Figo) constantly tells me, it's an Indian car made by an American company!

An outside contender could be the Beat Diesel, after all Chevy's 3 year maintenance programs are excellent too. Why not consider that too?
I am unable to see anything in the new swift which is unique to the swift.
Maybe the tiny boot is its usp? Or the long waiting times?
As for hassle free, I think nissan/toyota/Suzuki rank similar when it comes to hassle free

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks