Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 17:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

@kadanaJ, the FISIFI tagline suits the Ritz too. Infact more so, given that it has been out there much before the Liva.

@mohandas, if you take out the Liva, there is no car in the Toyota line-up that can be a direct comparison to the Maruti models to measure resale value. MSIL did not have any offerings in the Corolla, Camry, Qualis, Innova range. But yeah, we don't know yet about Liva resale - so comparing it with Ritz on resale is pointless.
Old 28th September 2011, 18:30   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
How can you claim that Ritz will fetch higher resale value than Liva? Do you have any data to support your claim or you are just guessing? Today, when I see other T-Badge cars, they fetch similar resale (in some case higher - Qualis) values when we compare them with the successful models from Marutis.

[data source : Carwale.com]
Well, there's no real way to predict which car will have higher resale value, but in this case I'd be willing to put my money on the Toyota.

No actual data to support this theory, just an assumption made based on the following:
1. Liva Diesel, will command a premium in the used market due to the T-badge.
2. The Ritz isn't that much of a hot seller (unlike the Swift, which has absurdly high resale value)
3. Expected long waiting list for Liva, versus ready-off-the-shelf Ritz, should indicate a higher resale value, as their is greater perceived demand. (assumption made based on the high resale value for other long waiting list cars such as the Maruti Swift and Toyota Fortuner)

While there is no guarantee, odds are that the Liva will have higher resale value.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 28th September 2011 at 18:32.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:01   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel - You are the Fool..err Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
On second thoughts, there was something funny about leg and shin position, but the TD was so short, that it is difficult to make out such things. Rest assured, our next car will not be the new swift(unless they offer 30K discount).
So now its between
Ritz Vdi with ABS (first contender) vs the Toyota Liva.
Micra is out, unless I listen to the heart, and take the plunge.

Hopefully, by october end the new car should be in our garage.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I would suggest you Ritz anyday, just because of its interiors that are way better than Toyota & certainly not workmanlike & probably poor as in Liva. Guess the final choice will be yours not mine...
Old 28th September 2011, 19:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Don't call the Liva an unproven model just yet. Toyota does have a ridiculous reputation for quality and reliability (few recent year exceptions aside).
With perfect running on a 10-year-old Toyota Avalon (replaced only because it lacked the niceties of newer vehicles), I can tell they really put a lot into R&D. In comparison, my Maruti Suzuki Esteem Di has had new glowplugs and work on the starter motor within 6 years of running. However, neither of these issues left me stranded in a Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I guess the decision is pretty simple now :
- Ritz (value for money, proven model, Maruti)
- Liva (high NVH, unproven model, cost cutting evident)
- Micra (poor brakes, no ABS, small support network)
Nissan is just as reliable as Mitsubishi and Honda but is a new manufacturer among passenger cars in India. However, don't expect stellar performance from it because the models it introduces in India aren't luxury vehicles. The Infinity product line does feature some rather remarkable vehicles.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:51   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Till now I was in favour of the Ritz. But yesterday went and checked out the Liva. The car is quite high on space inside and somehow the centrally placed console didn't look too bad. Looks wise also Liva looks better then Ritz anyday. I feel you should seriously consider this hatch since its a vehicle you intend to keep for sometime and who knows when will you start feeling the need for more space. I am in favour of the Liva now.
Old 28th September 2011, 20:13   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel - You are the Fool..err Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Micra is out, unless I listen to the heart, and take the plunge.
hey tsk,

Although I have a feeling that your above statement is primarily due to a very thin service network, but still want to confirm if there is any other reason.

I am getting inclined towards the Micra solely because of that diesel engine that it has.

Drive safe.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:45   #127
Team-BHP Support

Micra has the following problems
1. Brakes
2. Service network
3. GC a little low for my comfort, but short overhangs negate that to some effect
Old 28th September 2011, 22:20   #128
BHPian

Go for the Ritz. It is roomy, has good ground clearance & all the Maruti advantages. Great for city drive.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
How can you claim that Ritz will fetch higher resale value than Liva? Do you have any data to support your claim or you are just guessing? Today, when I see other T-Badge cars, they fetch similar resale (in some case higher - Qualis) values when we compare them with the successful models from Marutis.
It was just my humble opinion, I don't have any facts to back it up because both cars are new in the market and not available for resale.

The reason for this, accodring to me, is that Ritz is a well rounded package from the Maruti stable and has a proven record of reliability and low maintenance costs. Liva, even though it is a Toyota, but in my opinion it is not built upto Toyota standards. It may have a good engine and chassis, but that's all it seems to have. It doesn't have the feel good factor of a car of this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Nissan is just as reliable as Mitsubishi and Honda but is a new manufacturer among passenger cars in India. However, don't expect stellar performance from it because the models it introduces in India aren't luxury vehicles. The Infinity product line does feature some rather remarkable vehicles.
I never suggested that Nissan would not be reliable. I just mentioned that their service network in India is currently very thin.

Rohan
Old 29th September 2011, 13:46   #130
Team-BHP Support

Ritz indeed is the sensible choice. But we are a family of tall people, so back seat is problematic.
Liva has huge space.
So in the end its a battle between lack of space and lack of equipment!

TOUGH with all capitals I must say
Old 30th September 2011, 09:28   #131
Senior - BHPian

If its a 50-50 between Ritz and Liva, leave the decision to your better half and other family members who would be using the car. That way, they can't crib about lack of space/equipment/refinement, whichever car they choose.

You (and your family) need to decide your priorities - whether features and refinement are more important to you OR would you be willing to live with lack of equipment and refinement if the car is more spacious.

Rohan
Old 10th October 2011, 16:08   #132
BHPian

TSK i went ahead and booked a Red Figo TDCi after a lot of brain storming . I hope i made the right choice. Hope the car will serve me well for next 2 years. Good Luck to you!

Actually I ended up so confused between - Micra , Figo , Polo Trendline , it boiled down to a lucky dip ! My better half picked up the chit.
45 Days of logic , excel sheets , and brain storming ended in the most illogical manner !
Old 10th October 2011, 16:30   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Till now I was in favour of the Ritz. But yesterday went and checked out the Liva. The car is quite high on space inside and somehow the centrally placed console didn't look too bad. Looks wise also Liva looks better then Ritz anyday. I feel you should seriously consider this hatch since its a vehicle you intend to keep for sometime and who knows when will you start feeling the need for more space. I am in favour of the Liva now.
Beg to respectfully disagree sir. The point being, if space in indeed so important, then how can one not consider the new Vista? Acres of space, more refined engine, more features, and the new interiors are definitely a notch above that of Liva. Why not be willing to live with a few niggles and buy a product which is superior in every other aspect? (I'm stating this with a simple assumption that space is of great importance, which seems to be the case going by Tanveer sir's thread)

Secondly, agreed that reliability is a given considering that it's Toyota after all. But is that really the case with the 'cheapest' automobiles from their stable? If you are willing to risk it with a Liva, why not buy a known devil

And amist all this TSK must be wondering, Ohh no not another Vista fan! During my Safari ownership I met all Tata bashers left and right, and now this bunch is again pushing me in the same direction BTW, is it possible to modify the poll and include the Liva?
Old 10th October 2011, 16:55   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Secondly, agreed that reliability is a given considering that it's Toyota after all. But is that really the case with the 'cheapest' automobiles from their stable? If you are willing to risk it with a Liva, why not buy a known devil

And amist all this TSK must be wondering, Ohh no not another Vista fan! During my Safari ownership I met all Tata bashers left and right, and now this bunch is again pushing me in the same direction BTW, is it possible to modify the poll and include the Liva?
I firmly believe that a cheap automobile from Suzuki, Toyota or nissan will serve me quite well.
And Liva is not very cheap. It has really horrendous interiors, but everything as been put together thoughtfully and with precision.

So I may actually end up with a Liva, thats the way we are tilting now. A back to back TD of ritz and Toyota liva is on the cards before this weekend, and then its booking time.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Even though I am late into the thread, I would recommend you to look for Swift or i20. I have voted for i20 as I feel that the price is justified. It will give you a lot more power over Swift, has good engine and the interiors are the best in the segment.

Between Ritz and Liva, go for Liva! Its new and has Toyota backing. Looks a lot lot better than Ritz. I dont know about the performance though. The point in favour of Ritz is that it has phenomenal Maruti A.S.S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks