Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 16:21   #1
Team-BHP Support

Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

I am not a frequent visitor to this section. And as I type this I wonder how to phrase my query.
My query is very different.
Most people talk about space, handling, power.... and all the stuff which makes a car a nice car.
I am kind of looking for a car which satisfies the very old tagline of the "Fill it,shut it, forget it". I want a Hero Honda of cars I guess?

So what do I need.
Cheapest diesel car with front power windows, and acceptable space and driving characteristics.

I hear a lot of chimes of the Indica.

But unfortunately, I won't be touching a Tata or a Fiat. I have A.S.S. Phobia. More specifically T.A.S.S. phobia.

We just want a practical car, which has basic comforts like heater and AC, and front power windows.
It should sip diesel and every 10,000kms I should take it to service center and bring her back.
No arguing that some silly yellow light comes and goes, or rpm goes high or low on its own, or some suspension bush needs changing and will cost 1200 in labor.

To top it all, when I sell her after 6-7 years/100,000kms, I should be able to claim good resale, or some acceptable deal
With these options, I figure I am limited to Hyundai and Maruti. Boring cars which go on and on. We have a totally dilapitated maruti 800, more than 20 years old, which still goes on and on. The entire car has fallen apart, if we take her fast maybe the doors will fall off, but she will go on and on. All she needs is water in radiator, engine oil in engine, and petrol in the tank.

You get the drift right.

First let me kick out the hyundai. The i20, even being a very nice car, is 5.86 ex showroom. Figo diesel is almost a lakh cheaper. So out goes hyundai

Then comes Maruti.
Well you get a ritz VDI for 530. And swift VDI for ??. Only time will tell when the new one is launched.

Now in all this where does a Figo fit in. Its not a M or H. Its a F. An american brand. Not known for cheap parts and A.S.S.

But then I am told that the Americans give you nice all in one 5 year maintenance plans. All wear and tear parts like clutch etc., covered.

So thats how Figo is also part of the equation. At 4.94 for EXi (front power windows), its around 30K cheaper than Ritz diesel.

So pour in your suggestions. I do not want to spend even a rupee more than 5.50L ex showroom, unless you can give me very compelling reasons.
No Punto, I will still have to go to a TASS, with an indica and a safari, I am looking for a change now.

Remember, I do not want to get an AC compressor overhaul done at 60K, or change some pipe which rusted, or listen to strange sounds as I park the vehicle at night and then wonder what now.

I do not mind a rattle or a squeak here or there. Practicality and frugal running costs both in terms of part price and peace of mind cost.

I will also keep her for atleast 5 years, so even 5 years and 80-100K kms later I should not have to wonder whether to take her out on the highway or not.

If Figo owners can appraise me about the plans ford offers, it will be great!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th June 2011 at 16:25.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 16:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

I would say go for the Ritz Vdi.
Does almost everything better than the Swift apart from handling. And of course Swift looks better.
Also it comes with no obscene waiting period attached to it , which means good scope for discount.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

The options are pretty much what you've stated.

My vote goes to the Swift. Mainly because, its been there done that kinda car. Proven to be a performer. Mod friendly (if interested) and yes- LEGENDARY Maruti A.S.S. The avreage is pretty good too. It manages to return a decent ~18 kpl in crowded Pune roads!
Rattles and squeaks would surely be there, also the sub par interiors, but the car is a pleasure to drive for sure.

Figo comes a close second. Love the way it looks. Plus, supposed to be a good performer. Cant comment on the A.S.S though.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 27th June 2011 at 16:53.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Between Ritz and Swift what are the +ve's and +ne.
Engine and gearbox is exactly same, right? How is the GC of ritz as compared to the swift?
Old 27th June 2011, 16:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

From an outset, Figo seems to be the car which suits your requirements to the T. Since I do not have much personal experience with Figo, I will wait for the Figo owners to comment about A.S.S and other aspect of running costs. The news about all inclusive 5 year maintenance plan is surely tempting.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ritz is more comfortable due the higher seating, and IMO has better interiors. The Swift however handles much better and might have an edge in performance due to design.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Considering how Skoda has reduced service interval to 10,000 kms or 1 year. Do consider the Fabia as well. Most folks whom I know never mention any issue with service centre visits or anything since probably they visit it only once an year. These are very well built cars as well and can really last long without any rattles (even longer than Marutis).
Old 27th June 2011, 17:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Maruti A.S.S is simply unmatched. I own WagonR for over four years and have no issues with Maruti servicing. I will definitely pick a Maruti over others if it has to be a good A.S.S provider.

Now the battle is between Swift and Ritz. Both these cars have more or less same power and torque figures. Ground clearance is same and even the turning radius is almost same. There is nothing to choose from technical specifications of both these cars.

Now decision criteria is the looks. I can not comment on looks as they are always subjective. You have to ask yourself that which one appeals more to you. There is new swift around the corner so see if you can wait for it otherwise book a Ritz straightaway.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:14   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

None from the list!

Instead, wait for the all-new generation Swift that's just around the corner. The current Swift is one heck of a hatchback, the new one will only be better. You can expect the next-gen Swift to retain the core qualities of the current (fun to drive, nice chassis, punchy diesel) and be safer as well.

Plus, there is always something special about driving a freshly launched car. Wait, it's only 3 months away.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

If time is a constrain then go for Swift D.

If time is not a constrain wait for new Swift D and of course the launch of Liva D.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:22   #11
BHPian

I would say figo titanium.Only car (except vista) in your budget with ABS & Airbags.Never forego safety for silly frills.As for *** i hear Fords improving.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2011 at 16:00.
ghodlur is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th June 2011, 17:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Come next month, Beat diesel will hit the road and will be available with same trim level as petrol. Beat Tcdi LT will be the best bet to go for.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 27th June 2011, 17:47   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
None from the list!

Instead, wait for the all-new generation Swift that's just around the corner. The current Swift is one heck of a hatchback, the new one will only be better. You can expect the next-gen Swift to retain the core qualities of the current (fun to drive, nice chassis, punchy diesel) and be safer as well.

Plus, there is always something special about driving a freshly launched car. Wait, it's only 3 months away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Come next month, Beat diesel will hit the road and will be available with same trim level as petrol. Beat Tcdi LT will be the best bet to go for.

Cheers!

Vinu
3 months later new Swift D will come, and then it will take another 3 months for delivery. I am not sure we can wait that long.
However, the Beat diesel is looking like an interesting alternative. It should be 4.5L max for the front power window version. GM also has some interesting packages for maintenance.
1L saved over the swift is tempting!
Old 27th June 2011, 17:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Some more information required:
- what is your split of usage between the highway and city?
- as a workhorse, what is the monthly kms you expect to rack up? you say 80 to 100K kms in 5 years. so this is only 1.5k to 2k kms a month. Do you really require a diesel?
- do you require airbags/ ABS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
GM also has some interesting packages for maintenance. 1L saved over the swift is tempting!
If your answer to the last 2 questions is a No and if your driving is restricted to the city, then save 2L more and buy a Nano. The money saved will give you enough for the petrol - diesel difference.
I havent had to go to the *** for anything with the Nano; neither have any of the owners I have known.

If your answer to any of the last 2 questions is yes, then go ahead and look at the used car market for an available car that does not spook you with ***

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2011 at 17:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks