Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 23:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

How about a Mahindra Verito? Pretty spacious, considering there was an ad wherein they managed to squash 13 people in the car. So 5 would be a piece of cake. Boot space is definitely satisfactory. And, you seem to need a bit of a workhorse kind of car and this is one that can take abuse, I believe. If you don't mind the taxi-ish image that comes with it , go for it.

Etios is another good option as mentioned before.

On the pre-worshipped route, you can have a Civic, Corolla, or even an Innova. The Innova would be a very good buy if you have the space to park it, considering your previous comment on the Xylo.
Old 15th July 2011, 08:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

as charthom rightly pointed out.
The E variant ANHC is also a great buy.
you can add stuff at a later date, such as a nice double din entertainment system with navigation. cool looking alloys etc.
It is a fantastic petrol sedan, and the perfect urban companion.
Give this one some though too.
Old 15th July 2011, 19:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hi Saleem,

Hope you are doing great! Came to this thread from your post on DKG's ownership thread. Having read through your posts regarding the requirement and considering you intend to trips like the Kawal one that we did last year, throw the hatchbacks or sedans out. They may be very comfortable but if you are intending to see India by road especially the back of the beyond, you need a UV/SUV. Hatchbacks/ Sedans are not cut out for it!

You can based on your budget, look at the following
Bolero
Scorpio
Xylo
Sumo Grande
Safari

I have not included the THAR because even with the HT and AC, its essentially a 2 seater. There is just not enough space to have 4 people and their full luggage on a long trip.

As regards to the Bolero, Storm production might stop very soon. Its gone hell of a vehicle and the pick-up is just mindboggling. The new one is out or will be in a few months but won't be as fun at Storm. Plus it looks horrendous!

If your heart is set on a Scorpio and budget is an issue, why not look at the Scorpio EX - the one with mDi CRDe engine. Its atleast 1 lakh cheaper than the LX with a few less goodies.

Cheers
Ani bhai, thank you for your suggestions. Let me admit it, frankly speaking during our trip, your Bolero and Deepak sir's Jeep were definitely a turning point in me thinking about tourers, which can take me anywhere, on any roads. I started thinking about my next vehicle from that moment onwards and have been saving up for the same coz ultimately I want to end up in the mountains, the jungles and our beautiful scenic roads one day.

You are pretty much spot on in understanding my requirements and yes I was considering top-end sedans and VFM hatches as well because in my budget it would be difficult to get a decent SUV. I was pretty impressed with your Bolero and had my sights on a VLX CRDE version ever since, just that my priorities changed and I've moved out to a different role and to a different place, where I don't get as much free time as I used to.

Since there's some time for me to buy, I probably will keep a watch on the upcoming Bolero and see if it's good enough else will wait for some more time and extend my budget to buy the LX version of the Scorpio at least. I'm not too sure of the EX's engine. Sometimes I'm tempted to look at the City E version, with the current discounts that are being offered but again, it's a wonderful sedan albeit with a low ground clearance.

I felt four would not be a problem in Thar if we keep front facing seats. I'm not too particular for a H/T as long as the current one is able to keep the wind, water and other things at bay. Sometimes I also think of going for a H/T Gypsy and later adding a few things and customizing it as per requirements. What do you think about the Gypsy? Yes, I know about the hard suspension and lack of AC and other things but if I spend some time and money on it, probably it can be transformed into a good tourer.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:45   #49
BHPian

I have a similar quandary as Saleem bhai's. However my choices are a little clearer. I live in Himachal and I need a car which is a driver's delight. All other parameters are secondary. I'm confused between new Swift Zxi and Fiesta Classic Sxi. I wish Fiesta 1.6S hadn't been put out of production otherwise my choice would have been clear. Between these two cars which is a better driver's car , esp on twists and turns of Himalayas. Which is better on highways. Please let me know which car in your opinions is a better buy. Also is it possible to convert a normal Sxi into a 1.6S through Pete's engine remaps and suspension setups.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav
I have a similar quandary as Saleem bhai's. However my choices are a little clearer. I live in Himachal and I need a car which is a driver's delight. All other parameters are secondary. I'm confused between new Swift Zxi and Fiesta Classic Sxi. I wish Fiesta 1.6S hadn't been put out of production otherwise my choice would have been clear. Between these two cars which is a better driver's car , esp on twists and turns of Himalayas. Which is better on highways. Please let me know which car in your opinions is a better buy. Also is it possible to convert a normal Sxi into a 1.6S through Pete's engine remaps and suspension setups.
Of the two cars in question.
My pick would be the fiesta classic.
I think the dynamics would be more spot on.
But what about service network?
plus with the classic you get a longer wheelbase i believe and a boot too.
Which is a boon on the highways.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 16:38   #51
BHPian

Service network is slowly picking up, though it's still no match for MASS. But I can live with that. What I'd really like to get my hands on, is a car which is a hoot to drive. Yes boot and wheelbase are an added advantage. Now another problem I'm facing is that swift is all new, while fiesta classic is outdated. We do not know how long ford's going to stick with the classic. If its another two years I'll be at peace. Also could anyone elaborate in detail about the driving dynamics of the two cars. I've read everywhere that both are great driver's cars. But I've not seen a comparison. It would be really helpful. Oh and I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I believe my queries are related to the topic of this thread. Do I need to create a separate thread or continue with the same ?
Old 17th August 2011, 18:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav
Service network is slowly picking up, though it's still no match for MASS. But I can live with that. What I'd really like to get my hands on, is a car which is a hoot to drive. Yes boot and wheelbase are an added advantage. Now another problem I'm facing is that swift is all new, while fiesta classic is outdated. We do not know how long ford's going to stick with the classic. If its another two years I'll be at peace. Also could anyone elaborate in detail about the driving dynamics of the two cars. I've read everywhere that both are great driver's cars. But I've not seen a comparison. It would be really helpful. Oh and I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I believe my queries are related to the topic of this thread. Do I need to create a separate thread or continue with the same ?
Yes the all new swift will be here real soon.
Nothing like owning a fresh car in the market.
But delivery may take a while. Whereas for the ford you could get the delivery much sooner.
Quite a tough choice indeed.
Old 18th August 2011, 22:16   #53
BHPian

Hi vibhavraghav,

First of all welcome to tbhp!

I think your thought process is much more clear and you know what you want, unlike me! Do look at the latest swift and although Jazz isn't a driver's delight, do look at that too, take a test drive if possible. Facelifted Jazz with the revised prices is one of the best buys today! A decent combination of performance and practicality.

I have taken a test drive of Jazz and it is in no way lethargic, but yes, the driving dynamics are not a match to Fiesta, but on par with Swift. Do take a sensible decision because ultimately you might start feeling the need for practical aspects, after some time of ownership, especially if you are going to get married or would start traveling with family and friends. Do think about Dielsel Vs. Petrol as well.

As for me, my car purchase plans have been postponed as of now as I'm now in the process of owning a house, which has set me back financially, quite a bit! If I could I would have gone blindly for the new facelifted Jazz.

All the best in your search and keep us posted!

p.s. Mods, since I have postponed my purchase decision, if you feel, please close this thread!
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 20:19   #54
BHPian

Sensible advice there Saleem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I have taken a test drive of Jazz and it is in no way lethargic, but yes, the driving dynamics are not a match to Fiesta, but on par with Swift.
But on a different note.. you say that the Fiesta classic is a better handler than the Swift Zxi? thats interesting..Am also looking for a comparo of sorts between the new Swift, Jazz, Polo 1.6 and the Classic.. but then most publications consider them to be two different segments, even the sales person when I told him that am considering the Polo 1.6 and Fiesta he said how can u compare as they are 2 different segments..

Your thread has been very helpful.. hope it opens back soon.

Last edited by Nimz : 20th August 2011 at 20:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks