Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 23:59   #1
BHPian

Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Hi friends,

Finally I have decided to offload a bit of my burden in this forum by pausing my thinking and deciding to take help from fellow bhpians on deciding what can be my next car. Since more than an year,I have been reading various reviews here, watching automobile programs and reading auto magazines to gain some knowledge. All this has only added to the confusion and hence the only place I can come back for some help is here in my favorite forum. I have spent more than an year reading reviews, waiting for new launches, reading more reviews and trying to match them with my expectations and finally ending up disappointed. So guys, please help me.

What am I looking for?

A little background... We currently own an Alto and I want to upgrade to a better and bigger car. We will retain the Alto as well, no plans of selling it as it is one marvellous small car with an engine that I'm sure will not be justified if I decide to sell it.

1. My budge at the max stretchable limit is 7.5 lakhs, on road. I don't want to take a loan as I don't believe in taking loans on depreciating assets.

2. I'm now more in a nomadic state of employment where I need to shuffle in between 3 cities (one being my hometown), which are based in Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. Hence, I want a vehicle which I can use as a tourer, not immediately, but definitely have this plan in mind.

3. I'm a nature and wildlife lover hence need a go-anywhere vehicle, especially on holidays. Not looking for 4*4 but not averse to owning one.

4. I need a decent package to carry 5 people and luggage, without too much cramping.

5. I'm more inclined towards petrol cars, but can also consider diesel if the option is excellent.

6. I'm 5'10" tall (with boots on) and have medium sized family members, so leg space needs to match up to them.

7. I'm not into offroading but would prefer a vehicle which can also ferry on rough roads without much ado.

I started with reading/looking at hatchbacks as I find the hatchbacks more fascinating in design than the usual sedans. Here are my observations and these are my personal opinions and observations, so may not be entirely correct. Request fellow bhpians to take the criticism constructively, in case they own that particular car.

1. Jazz - Everything's good. Can live with the ground clearance but a little concerned. However, very much outside my budget. Waiting for news of price reduction.

2. Swift 1.2 K series - Good proven car, everything's ok for me (even the rattles) but I want the feeling of upgrading hence, need a bigger rear space and boot.

3. i10 Kappa2- Again a good all rounder, the only glitch being smaller tyres and narrow width, which is again no big upgrade from Alto. Need 3 people to sit comfortably at rear.

4. Ritz 1.2 K series - I think it has everything I need, except for the shape. Unfortunately, I also give importance to the looks so I need something which looks more proportionate. I think the leg space is still average, nothing to boast about. I sat in one at the rear and it was okay.

5. i20 1.2 Petrol - Ruled out due to weak engine. I think I can manage the rattles and AC problems.

5. Punto 1.3 MJD - Can't spend sleepless nights over non-availability of spares. Rear space is again average.But love the looks of this car though not enough to convince me to buy it.

6. Polo 1.6 - Everything's good except for the cramped rear seat space which was even quoted in a test drive on tv.

7. Fabia 1.6 - Ruled out due to the famous Skoda stories, otherwise love this car.

8. Vista MJD - Somehow I'm not convinced with the reliability of Tata vehicles. Just a personal opinion based on what I have read on all automobile forums.

9. Etios Liva - Very disappointed after reading GTO's fabulous review.

10. Figo Petrol - Very unspirited drive. Didn't feel much difference between my Alto and Figo'S cruising capabilities. Top speed of ~145 kmph Vs. Alto's ~140. Obviously Figo is better, but only slightly. This is the only negative I found in Figo, else everything else looked fine.

11. Figo Diesel - Very loud and unrefined engine sound. Put me off completely.

12. Micra - Not even considered, don't know why. No idea about how the petrol engine works or the diesel.

I'm not looking at cars with engines below 1.2.

I considered sedans as well and my observations are as follows.

1. Etios - Looks very bland. Not entirely convinced with the overall car quality in the long run.

2. Verito - Again very utilitarian and an unexciting engine.

3. Fiesta Classic - Leg space at rear and narrow dimensions of the car. FASS is also a concern.

4. Dzire - Again, the disproportionate appearance of the boot.

I also considered the following vehicles.

1. Thar - I've never been a jeeper but don't mind making a start. The only concern is lack of AC and safety with the soft top. Also, I'm not sure it will accomodate 5 ppl with luggage comfortably.

2. Gypsy - Not confident about its highway cruising capabilities. I'm not sure if AC can be installed without other issues cropping up.

3. Bolero VLX CRDE - Great vehicle but the VLX still needs to prove its mettle. Some of the ownership reviews indicate all is not well with this engine mated with Bolero.

4. Scorpio LX - Over my budget, else I like it very much without the side claddings.

5. Xylo E4 - I've travelled in a xylo in the third seat for over 150kms and I must tell you, it is bearable. I like this vehicle but too big for my parking space and regular use. Also, over the budget.

Probably I've been too nitpicky but that is precisely why I'm here. To know your opinion as well and help me with the decision-making on what compromises would be easy to make and live with.

Some filters that I have put in my search criteria.
1. Not looking at Tata-Fiat cars.
2. Not looking at Skoda.
3. Not looking for those going above 7.5 lakhs (OTR).
4. More inclined towards petrol, but open to diesel as well, if it is an exceptional product.
5. Minimum top speed to be 160 kmph. That is one way of comparing with my current car and upgrading accordingly. This rule is an exception in case of jeeps, MUVs.
6. I could be purchasing in the next 3 months, so waiting period doesn't really matter right now.
7. Looking at minimum comforts of power steering, AC, power windows, central locking, tubeless tyres, remote fuel lid and fog lamps. and minimum bootspace of 225 liters.

Cars that I'm looking out for but not sure I will wait for them are:
1. Renault's Duster
2. Suzuki's Jimny
3. Thar with AC and Hard top.
4. Something of a cross between hatchback and SUV (mini).
5. Something on similar lines...

So guys, please help me make a well-informed, practical and sensible decision, which also appeals to my heart.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:00   #2
BHPian

I was in a bolero crde sometime back and it does seem hugely refined from the earlier avatars. Although it will never compare to the refinement of the swifts and puntos it might still be that middle ground that provides most of what you need.

Bolero owners can give better feedback on refinement.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but let's see other opinions.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:28   #3
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a second car. Please help!

Whoa, that is a big list of all kind of vehicles. Since you seem to want a vehicle which is,
trouble free
long distance cruncher (with comfort)
bit of a load carrier
little off roader, meaning can take some abuse.

I can suggest only one car from this list,

Ford Fiesta Classic (D or P).

Ford's after sales service is pretty good these days. Usual wear and tear part costs are at par with other OEMs. I think the car will excel in all the above listed points. Fiesta is narrow? In my opinion, the reality is totally opposite. Five people can easly fit in a Fiesta C. In case you have not done a TD, my request is to go for one and then decide.

If you are interested in used cars, then within this budget you can include some more amazing names which will also excel in the list of needs. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dot : 7th July 2011 at 07:30.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:56   #4
BHPian

Boy, that's a long list! Have you TDed the cars at least which you're inclined to?
Fiesta Classic seems to be the only saviour. Etios ticks all the boxes except for your 160kmph!

Let me add one more to your list - Chevy Aveo. Though it may look a little bland, it has all the required goodies (no bluetooth/steering mounted controls, IIRC)
Old 7th July 2011, 10:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did you try the Verito petrol or diesel? The diesel is a gem, and the cabbie's swear by it - so it has to be reliable with very low maintenance. It seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Bolero is another close-enough option.. Take a TD.. Not sure of the OTR prices of the Storm though..
Old 7th July 2011, 11:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

While the Fiesta and the Jazz are great cars, I am not sure either can be considered as a tourer seating 5 people comfortably.

I think you are better off looking at a SUV type; perhaps a preowned Scorpio or Bolero. However, as you mention that the Xylo is too big for your parking space, you need to take a priority based decision on your requirements.

What do you want more - seating capacity for 5 or ability to park in your lot?

Perhaps the Xylo CS version could be an answer to your requirements, but I dont think there are any timelines announced yet for the launch.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:27   #7
BHPian

the new fiesta is out, base version price OTR should be in the vicinity of your budget, you should visit the honda showrooms, to check on offers for the Jazz and as they have recently dropped prices for the city bringing it closer to the Jazz price, just might be a good and trouble free buy..
Old 7th July 2011, 12:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

With such a long list and confusion, the only thing that comes to my mind is - Preowned! Tons of options in the mentioned budget. You could get a decent SUV (with the AC and hard top) in that price. Why not look into that market?
Old 7th July 2011, 13:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I was in a bolero crde sometime back and it does seem hugely refined from the earlier avatars. Although it will never compare to the refinement of the swifts and puntos it might still be that middle ground that provides most of what you need.

Bolero owners can give better feedback on refinement.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but let's see other opinions.
deep_bang, thanks for your suggestion. Yes I'm slightly inclined towards this vehicle as I've been hearing good things about the recent models. My only concern however is the CRDE engine reviews, especially Avi bhai's review wherein he had to replace his machine's heart. I remember reading other review as well, where there were some similar issues. So that is slightly concerning for me. I don't want other models of bolero as the engine specs are quite archaic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Whoa, that is a big list of all kind of vehicles. Since you seem to want a vehicle which is,
trouble free
long distance cruncher (with comfort)
bit of a load carrier
little off roader, meaning can take some abuse.

I can suggest only one car from this list,

Ford Fiesta Classic (D or P).

...If you are interested in used cars, then within this budget you can include some more amazing names which will also excel in the list of needs. Hope this helps.
dot, I've had a chance to travel in Fiesta D, which was running as a cab and I was a bit appalled at the leg space it had to offer and also the narrowness of the cabin. Sure it is better than Alto but probably similar to many hatchbacks. This car is on my list high enough as it also falls well within my budget. Regarding used cars, I'm not very inclined as I intend to keep this second car for at least 5-7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Boy, that's a long list! Have you TDed the cars at least which you're inclined to?

Let me add one more to your list - Chevy Aveo. Though it may look a little bland, it has all the required goodies (no bluetooth/steering mounted controls, IIRC)
hdnivara, yes indeed it is a long list as I've been reviewing since a long time. I didn't get a chance to review most of those listed. I have only driven a couple of them, which happened to by my friend's vehicles, others I had the opportunity to travel in them and observe as a passenger.

Chevy Aveo is something that I considered and for me it looks good, better than some current models but heard that it has problems with gear box. Else I'm fine with Chevy service as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Did you try the Verito petrol or diesel?

Bolero is another close-enough option.. Take a TD.. Not sure of the OTR prices of the Storm though..
Equus, Storm is in my sights. Verito, somehow I didn't like it, it looks very ordinary. I want something different, but not too ugly or disproportionate (Ritz, Dzire, etc.) nor too normal and bland, something like Etios or Verito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While the Fiesta and the Jazz are great cars, I am not sure either can be considered as a tourer seating 5 people comfortably.

I think you are better off looking at a SUV type; perhaps a preowned Scorpio or Bolero. However, as you mention that the Xylo is too big for your parking space, you need to take a priority based decision on your requirements.

What do you want more - seating capacity for 5 or ability to park in your lot?

Perhaps the Xylo CS version could be an answer to your requirements, but I dont think there are any timelines announced yet for the launch.
selfdrive, yes even I'm inclined towards Bolero and Scorpio. Scorpio LX seems to be the next best option after Storm but it is at least a lakh over my budget, considering I get a good deal. I want a comfortable cruiser but at the same time I can't ignore the limitations associated with parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
the new fiesta is out, base version price OTR should be in the vicinity of your budget, you should visit the honda showrooms, to check on offers for the Jazz and as they have recently dropped prices for the city bringing it closer to the Jazz price, just might be a good and trouble free buy..
TRANSAM, is the new Fiesta launched??? Yes, Jazz seems to have offers, but isn't it better to wait for price reduction which eventually needs to happen some day soon?

Thank you all for your replies. I think I need to narrow down my search. So If I would ask you to name your top 3 cars for me, which ones would they be? Also, why is it that no one is suggesting Thar. Keeping aside non-availability of AC and the hard top do you all think it can be considered?
Old 7th July 2011, 13:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
selfdrive, yes even I'm inclined towards Bolero and Scorpio. Scorpio LX seems to be the next best option after Storm but it is at least a lakh over my budget, considering I get a good deal. I want a comfortable cruiser but at the same time I can't ignore the limitations associated with parking space.
Well, your requirements are clashing with each other! In terms of parking space getting priority you could go in for either the Fiesta or the Jazz. If comfort/ space is more important, it would be a Scorpio or a Balero. Do look at preowned cars; you could get one which is less than 2 years old

Quote:
TRANSAM, is the new Fiesta launched??? Yes, Jazz seems to have offers, but isn't it better to wait for price reduction which eventually needs to happen some day soon?
AFAIK, the discounts on the Jazz would be better than the official price reduction.
IIRC, the new Fiesta is scheduled for launch on 10th July with prices to be announced on 15th. Dont ask why?!!
Old 7th July 2011, 13:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Chevy Aveo is something that I considered and for me it looks good, better than some current models but heard that it has problems with gear box. Else I'm fine with Chevy service as well.
Some Aveo owners should be able to help you on this.

My pick would be Etios (considering your 5-7 years ownership & resale), Tata Manza (Safaire 90) and Chevy Aveo (1.4).

Last edited by bblost : 10th July 2011 at 13:33. Reason: fixed a broken quote tag.
Old 7th July 2011, 13:35   #12
BHPian

The fiesta is to be launched on the 10th, the latest autocar covers the car well. Fiesta, Jazz, Vento my choice.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:25   #13
BHPian

since you hav a purchase planned after 3 months.. why not enquire about the Xylo mini ?? It would suit your requirements to the T ! you will have a vehicle that can go anywhere, seat 5 comfortably, fit in your parking space, reliability of engine & availability of spares

If Xylo mini is not coming anytime soon, then i hav a question.. Are you ready for a pre-worshipped car? you can probably get a pretty good car for that money, since you anyway dont intend to take loan, full amount payment is considered an advantage while shopping used cars, think abt it !
Old 7th July 2011, 14:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The fiesta is to be launched on the 10th, the latest autocar covers the car well. Fiesta, Jazz, Vento my choice.
I guess none of these will fit in 7.5L budget, you surely going to overshoot it (I did by whopping 4L recently). There is no SUV options also fitting in budget. Will suggest Logan/Verito as long as you can live with looks and image. Proven engine, ample of leg/boot and rugged..
Old 7th July 2011, 15:09   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

You already have a hatchback for the local runs, hence the best upgrade for you @ 7.5 lakhs will be:

- Toyota Etios : My favourite entry level sedan. Extremely spacious, fast performance, surprisingly fun to drive, balanced ride & handling.

- Tata Manza 1.3 Diesel : Diesel would suit your touring habits. Excellent engine & transmission, space & comfort equal to 15 lakh cars, nice equipment, balanced ride & handling.

- Honda Jazz : Amongst the best hatchbacks on sale in India. Shop around for discounts or wait for the inevitable price-cut.

Test-drive all 3 and update us with your comments. Good luck hunting.

I also highly recommend a pre-worshipped Altis or Civic to you. Look up the many threads put up by satisfied used-car fans like yours truly.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2011 at 15:11.

Most Viewed