Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nothing wrong, especially since they have stopped production of the current Swift. And from the international reviews, it is a better car than the outgoing model, and slightly bigger as well. So it’s best to wait and take a test drive. That said, I doubt if it will have the space and practicality of a Jazz.
Agree, it will definitely not be as spacious as Jazz but I'll be happy with something that is better than the current swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If you can afford the new LX in its 2.2 avatar, nothing like it. It is a sensible vehicle and has all the goodies you would actually need on a day to day basis. If not, Scorpios are generally very reliable and there are examples of people who have purchased pre owned cars and are very happy, right here on TBHP, so you need not worry too much on that front either.

Happy hunting.
I'm also looking at the new Bolero model, which I heard is going to be launched soon. It is a zlx model, so want to see how it fares up in my criteria. Yes, open to LX as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Have read most of the posts. May have missed out a thing or two, so pardon me for that.

Now from what I read you have a more practical sort of car in mind. Seat 5 in comfort, with one tall person in the family. Don't want one which is too big (parking etc), not keen on pre-owned, don't want one which has a cramped cabin (Fiesta), want a rugged vehicle.

I did read that you aren't inclined towards Tata. Guess it is the A$$ and the niggles. If you can bear with a few niggles (only means the odd trip to the workshop 1-2 times/year in most cases) Tata vehicles are usually very rugged. Well suited to harsh driving conditions.

A Manza is what you should seriously consider. It has a very very spacious cabin, good seating position, hugely improved finish and feel over the Indigo, small enough for the city and parking stuff, big enough on the inside, runs on diesel, good resale (if that even matters given the 5-7 years we are talking about), proven 'national engine', seems to be well suited for your long journeys including harsh roads, which light Japanese cars may have issues with.

Barring the Tata name, this car seems to fit your needs very well. Don't just drop it on a no-tata prejudice. I had test driven it amongst many other cars - link here
Hey, thanks for your suggestion, and you don't have to be apologetic too so chill buddy! I'm looking at a more of go anywhere vehicle so that's one reason why I'm not looking at Tata-Skoda-Fiat vehicles. I don't want to be in some remote location where there is no phone coverage as well and then the vehicle refuses to start or simply breaks down. I'm more inclined towards entry-level SUVs or top-end hatchbacks rather than the middle of the road sedans so that's one reason why I'm not looking at affordable sedans. I'm currently more inclined towards the following"
1. Jazz
2. New Bolero
3. New Swift
4. Thar CRDe
5. Fiesta Classic (because it is a proven sedan)
Old 10th July 2011, 13:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I'm looking at a more of go anywhere vehicle so that's one reason why I'm not looking at Tata-Skoda-Fiat vehicles. I don't want to be in some remote location where there is no phone coverage as well and then the vehicle refuses to start or simply breaks down. I'm more inclined towards entry-level SUVs or top-end hatchbacks rather than the middle of the road sedans so that's one reason why I'm not looking at affordable sedans. I'm currently more inclined towards the following"
1. Jazz
2. New Bolero
3. New Swift
4. Thar CRDe
1. Jazz: Much has been written about Jazz - mostly positive, and I second that.

2. New Bolero: We just purchased a New Bolero (top end) for the office. It cost as much as the Jazz. But fit and finish is appalling. Acceleration is good on account of new, much more powerful engine. The novelty of the voice guidance system has worn out in 15 days, and now it's beginning to annoy. It's a bit of a nag. The ride is pretty good on rough roads. Overall I am not very impressed. Not a good VFM at all.

3. New Swift: Good from whatever I've read.

4. Thar CRDe: It's a good vehicle if I spent 80% of my time driving on rural roads. Then there are issues with build quality and a rather bumpy ride.

5. Fiesta Classic: Well proven, no doubt, and a driver's car, though not as practical or as refined as Jazz.
Old 10th July 2011, 20:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

From your list i would go for the jazz eyes closed.
it's very spacious on the inside, even more than the swift and probably more than the fiesta classic. It's got a great engine which is fuel efficient too.
Honda reliability is a given.
With the current discounts on the select variant the OTR price is 7.40 L after discounts which fits your budget perfectly.
Give it a serious thought.
Old 10th July 2011, 20:27   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Jazz
2. New Bolero
3. New Swift
4. Thar CRDe
This is one interesting mix indeed

Agree with mdsaab. The Jazz looks the ideal option here.
And maybe its worth to wait and see the pricing for the mid variant of New Ford Fiesta.
Old 10th July 2011, 23:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting set of options.
I would say - the choice should be between Jazz and Fiesta classic ( the new Fiesta will be priced higher I guess)
If you need a pure driver oriented car - Fiesta Classic 1.6 is the best - excellent power delivery, great steering and handling.
If you need space, refinement,versatlity, reliability, FE, quality, go for the Jazz. The engine is not a scorcher, particularly compared to the Fiesta 1.6 but it is adequately powered even with a full load. But sometimes you need to rev it little hard when you need more power, just like other Honda IVTEC engines

I have no idea about Bolero and Thar.

Best of luck!
Old 11th July 2011, 22:01   #36
BHPian

Apparently the jazz prices have dropped by 1.75 lakhs. the car is VFM now. Check this news out and get this one if this is true. ex-showroom starts at 5.87 now.
Old 12th July 2011, 08:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Apparently the jazz prices have dropped by 1.75 lakhs. the car is VFM now. Check this news out and get this one if this is true. ex-showroom starts at 5.87 now.
Yes apparently a few fellow bhpians have been offered the select variant at 7 Lakhs OTR. Will be calling my SR to find out more details soon.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:18   #38
BHPian

Yesterday afternoon a lady called me from Deccan Honda in Pune and offered Jazz select on road price at Rs 6.6 lakh. As I was busy I requested them to call me in the evening, which of course did not happen.

At this price point, Jazz should have no issue selling itself. So I guess that their sales team is up to its neck booking fresh orders.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Yesterday afternoon a lady called me from Deccan Honda in Pune and offered Jazz select on road price at Rs 6.6 lakh. As I was busy I requested them to call me in the evening, which of course did not happen
Whoa, thats a huge price cut! I am speculating here; but perhaps the dealers have been asked to get rid of their existing stock for the 1.5L launch. If this is the case, Honda has brought up an interesting point here. How much do the manufacturers make per car if they can offer almost 20% discount?!
Old 12th July 2011, 15:58   #40
BHPian

wow thats a serious price cut on the Jazz, this should enhance hondas jazz numbers. Can anybody confirm the exact price cut and variant? will also try the dealer here in Mumbai. Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 16:11   #41
BHPian

@Saleem, the decision should now be a lot easier with the heavy discount on the Jazz. Looks like your wait has paid off.
Old 12th July 2011, 21:07   #42
BHPian

Yes, seems like my wait has been worth it! I will find out more on what they are offering in Hyderabad. In the meantime if anyone has got an opportunity to check out the prices in Hyderabad, please let me know.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

ok so here goes.
The Jazz select is priced at 6.52 OTR Pune
Plus a few free accessories.
Do not wait any further.
I myself am ready to plonk on one.
Old 14th July 2011, 08:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Etios - Looks very bland. Not entirely convinced with the overall car quality in the long run.

Not looking for those going above 7.5 lakhs (OTR).

More inclined towards petrol, but open to diesel as well, if it is an exceptional product.

So guys, please help me make a well-informed, practical and sensible decision, which also appeals to my heart.
@saleem_k,

Etios fits you perfectly.Now so many of them are hitting the roads-the looks are very digestible,IMHO. Being a Toyota,overall quality is assured.

Nice crisp,engine,great handling,excellent ride,fantastic road manners.Above all as spacious as a cricket ground,and the boot can contain an entire cricket team!!

Go for V edition(approx 6.6 L on-road) and use the rest of your budget to add on things-if so wish.

Or if you can stretch your budget a little more,you can buy a ANHC, E edition,which is only about 8L on-road after the present cuts.This will be a fantastic buy undoubtedly.

Or if you are still inclined for a hatch back-then Jazz. On-road Cochin is now 7.4L+freebies(about a week back) for the Select version.Very good value for money!!

I wish you all the best.Please do post your thread once decided and bought.

Rgds,charthom

Last edited by charthom : 14th July 2011 at 08:51.
Old 14th July 2011, 22:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi Saleem,

Hope you are doing great! Came to this thread from your post on DKG's ownership thread. Having read through your posts regarding the requirement and considering you intend to trips like the Kawal one that we did last year, throw the hatchbacks or sedans out. They may be very comfortable but if you are intending to see India by road especially the back of the beyond, you need a UV/SUV. Hatchbacks/ Sedans are not cut out for it!

You can based on your budget, look at the following
Bolero
Scorpio
Xylo
Sumo Grande
Safari

I have not included the THAR because even with the HT and AC, its essentially a 2 seater. There is just not enough space to have 4 people and their full luggage on a long trip.

As regards to the Bolero, Storm production might stop very soon. Its gone hell of a vehicle and the pick-up is just mindboggling. The new one is out or will be in a few months but won't be as fun at Storm. Plus it looks horrendous!

If your heart is set on a Scorpio and budget is an issue, why not look at the Scorpio EX - the one with mDi CRDe engine. Its atleast 1 lakh cheaper than the LX with a few less goodies.

Cheers

Most Viewed