Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why so many Nanos in used car market?

IMHO, some of the owners may have had different expectations from the Nano. Such as the occasional highway run.

As a Nano owner, I can say that it is a hoot to drive in the city. Just to experience the ride, I had done a highway trip (125 kms one way, 250+ return including ghat section). While the Nano was reliable, the drive & comfort left a lot to be desired. It also misses airbags and ABS. I guess it would have done better with a top end model including these features. In short, I am not taking her out on the highway again. It is more suitable as a second car. I guess many of these people now expect more bang for their buck, so have decided to move up the chain and get a Beat type of car at least.

Some others may have realised that they dont need a second car after all as they may not be clocking as many miles per day as they expected.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Simple solution for LeMans is to ask his dad to test drive the Nano and he can then compare it to M800s. The quality/ride comfort/status are all personal choices that he can make for his own usage pattern.

Personally, I think Nano has a lot of potential that they can explore for niche market as well. Let it have more designer feel and add engine options, expensive seats most importantly custom build section and I will buy it myself. Cheers!
Old 9th July 2011, 10:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans View Post
........He intends to keep the sx4 and buy a second smaller car for city driving.................
Since your first question is about the reliability of nano, the best thing would be check out the ownership threads here. The initail ones had problems and some parts were replaced as a part service schedule. So it would be better to go for a new one, if buying. These threads will help you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ll-issues.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-15000kms.html

The Second Question regarding M800 V/s Nano, since dad has done TD of nano, the best thing would be to ask dad to take the M800 for a week for his daily run and then decide on it. Some threads on M800 and Nano

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...800-spark.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-buy-nano.html

Finally since it is going to be used as second car and only for his commute from clinic <---> home, it would be better to go for a car that he finds comfortable to ride (short distance), park and get in/out (a problem in M800). Nano ticks all the options.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

I own a Nano and I drive it quite a bit in the city. First thing is there is a big misconception amongst people about the car. Especially about size and power. Please don't just go by figures. I have had people sitting in my Nano and going "wow" with the amount of space. The space is more than 800/Alto/Wagon R / Santro and what not. And the acceleration even with AC on is quite good to zip around in a city.

End of the day Nano is a very utilitarian car for the price point it comes at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A lot of people booked the Nano initially without knowing exactly what they expect out of the car. Also the image factor might have started playing in as somehow Nano has managed to attract that Poor guy's car image to itself.
Actually I would disagree with that. As a matter of fact Nano hasn't been going to its intended customer segment but being bought quiite a bit (especially the top end LX version) by people as their 2nd/3rd car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Guess the reason there are so many Nanos in the 2nd hand market must be a combination of all those nano-on-fire incidents and many people opting for the base variant but finding it lacking luxury.
I think apart from the above two, lot of people moving from the bike to Nano didn't estimate the running expenses properly and (80KMPL to 15 kmpl) and may be selling it due to economic reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I know 3 friends whose parents gifted them Nanos; only 1 of them drives it albeit grudingly. The other 2 have their Nanos parked comfortably in the building basement. Reason : image/lack of power.
I actually quite like the seating position, power which is adequate for city driving.

P.S: Chicks dig Yellow Nano
Old 9th July 2011, 14:40   #20
BHPian

If you can wait for 6 months, the Alto competitor from Hyundai (should we call it i0.8? ) should be available. From the spy pictures, it seems to a reasonably tall car and your dad will appreciate its ingress/egress.
Old 9th July 2011, 22:48   #21

Going by the opinion of the majority of our friends here, the decision to buy the nano has been dropped and one of the almost perfectly maintained 800's finds its way into my dad's garage. Actually, the financial wisdom of using a car till its dead made us retain the 800 since its has got a lot of juice left in it. About the nano, we honestly didnt find anything wrong with the car having test driven it thrice now at different dealerships. I think that primarily people dont want to be seen in a car which is the "cheapest in the world". Except for its lack of capability of highway travel, the nano seems to be superior to the 800 in almost every other way( Sorry, the A.S.S. of Tata is also a chink in its armour).

Now , dilemma no.2 surfaces, is it the ritz diesel VDI ABS or the ford Figo Tdci Titanium that would be a better choice for me to replace the 800 with? The primary requirements are good ride , build quality and less niggles. I really dont know if the ritz's lack of airbags is a critical differential factors between the two. Mods, please direct me to the right thread if it exists.
Old 10th July 2011, 07:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A similar case can be seen with fortuner. People just went ahead and booked it and now realise that they cant drive it inside the city and there is no place to park it either. Many of them don't exactly know what 4*4 means. As a result you can find so many Fortuners in the Used car market.
Are you sure, i didn't find any Fortuner with the used car dealers, atleast not in large numbers so as to generalize. Or maybe its different in Delhi/Bangalore.

Some of the dealers are trying to push used cars as well and when they know i am looking for one i do get decent number of calls from them. None of them have ready Fortuner available. When asked the usual reply is "Will call later if they spot one".
Old 10th July 2011, 09:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Ritz vs Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans View Post
Now , dilemma no.2 surfaces, is it the ritz diesel VDI ABS or the ford Figo Tdci Titanium that would be a better choice for ... good ride , build quality and less niggles.
I'd go with the Ritz. As a Ford owner, I am not very happy with the servicing options available. With the Ritz, you can still get OE spares and get the stuff done. About Ford, they will not give you any spares, but will open a job card even if it is a simple thing like replacing wiper blades. And charge you for it.

About air-bags, you still have seat-belts and ABS. It's not like the Ritz is bare-bones in this department. Your resale value should also be better with the Ritz.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 10:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would wholeheartedly ask you to retain the old Marutis. We have a 15 year old Zen at home and on my recent trip happened to peek at the under body, there was not a spot of rust. I was simply blown away. The spirited engine will last us another 15 years. The only botheration seems to be the weak A/c, for which we have no solution. So keep your old 800 and give it a fresh lease of life. I'm all for it.
Old 10th July 2011, 10:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Are you sure, i didn't find any Fortuner with the used car dealers, atleast not in large numbers so as to generalize. Or maybe its different in Delhi/Bangalore.

Some of the dealers are trying to push used cars as well and when they know i am looking for one i do get decent number of calls from them. None of them have ready Fortuner available. When asked the usual reply is "Will call later if they spot one".
I have not much experience in used car market. But 3 weeks back when I was offered one fortuner I made a few calls to some dealers I knew. And there were 4-5 cars on offer within the day. Also if you log into carwale then there are plenty listed there atleast in Delhi. Now ofcourse for a 20 lac SUV I am not sure what will you call a good number. But today in Delhi its not very tough to find a used fortuner for sale.

Lets not discuss this on this thread as its not relevant to the topic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks