Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 21:01   #1

Why so many Nanos in used car market?

I have been Team Bhp for quite some time now and now it am hooked. This ss the first time i am turning to the forum for advice.
My dad who stays in a smaller town has an SX4. He is finding it far too cumbersome to drive in the market where his clinic is. He intends to keep the sx4 and buy a second smaller car for city driving. He took me for a test drive of Nano Lx. To be honest, i was blown away by the VFM package that the nano is. But I have been seeing an awful lot of sparingly used Nano's in the used car market. I am having doubts if something is seriously wrong with the car since i was eyeing a used nano rather than a new one( I have been following GTO a lot). I have been told that the nano ages very fast( a Tata trait).
The other option is I own two M800's (2007- 50,000km both) one of which i intend to replace with a Figo in 6 months. I can give one 800 to my dad for his city commute instead of buying a used nano. Please help me make a choice.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why so many Nanos in used car market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans View Post
I have been Team Bhp for quite some time now and now it am hooked. This ss the first time i am turning to the forum for advice.
My dad who stays in a smaller town has an SX4. He is finding it far too cumbersome to drive in the market where his clinic is. He intends to keep the sx4 and buy a second smaller car for city driving. He took me for a test drive of Nano Lx. To be honest, i was blown away by the VFM package that the nano is. But I have been seeing an awful lot of sparingly used Nano's in the used car market. I am having doubts if something is seriously wrong with the car since i was eyeing a used nano rather than a new one( I have been following GTO a lot). I have been told that the nano ages very fast( a Tata trait).
The other option is I own two M800's (2007- 50,000km both) one of which i intend to replace with a Figo in 6 months. I can give one 800 to my dad for his city commute instead of buying a used nano. Please help me make a choice.
Other day I saw a NANO with 582 kms on odo 8 months old with all services awailable and it was parked in a dealers place ., with plastic seat covers intact ,last but not the least with NEW CAR SMELL.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 22:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would stick to the tried and tested Maruti 800. Since you already have seem to have a spare M800 with you, is buying a third hatchback really required? Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Other day I saw a NANO with 582 kms on odo 8 months old with all services awailable and it was parked in a dealers place ., with plastic seat covers intact ,last but not the least with NEW CAR SMELL.
I bet that car can sell for at least 50k lesser than the original OTR price

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2011 at 22:07.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO this appears to be the most promising option. Save a lakh of so on buying a used/first hand Nano, and drive 17,000 km free considering Rs 70/l for petrol and assuming you'd get 12 kmpl from your 800. It's also good for environment. Besides Maruti 800 appears to last forever.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 22:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of people booked the Nano initially without knowing exactly what they expect out of the car. Also the image factor might have started playing in as somehow Nano has managed to attract that Poor guy's car image to itself. A similar case can be seen with fortuner. People just went ahead and booked it and now realise that they cant drive it inside the city and there is no place to park it either. Many of them don't exactly know what 4*4 means. As a result you can find so many Fortuners in the Used car market.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guess the reason there are so many Nanos in the 2nd hand market must be a combination of all those nano-on-fire incidents and many people opting for the base variant but finding it lacking luxury.

I know 3 friends whose parents gifted them Nanos; only 1 of them drives it albeit grudingly. The other 2 have their Nanos parked comfortably in the building basement. Reason : image/lack of power.

Quote:
Are both the 800s 2007? Guess that is your best option, and what you should be doing. A 2007 800 has at least a decade left in it; even more. You don't get a more sasta-sundar-tikau solution!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th July 2011 at 23:02.
Old 7th July 2011, 22:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2011 at 19:35.
Jayabusa is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2011, 23:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think it has to do with incorrect perception about its size. Initially people thought (still think?) that it is a very very tiny car, to be compared with autorickshaws. I think, those who bought it realized that its dimensions are pretty similar to other cars like the Santro.

In fact, in terms of width the M800, Omni and Spark are even narrower than the Nano. So driving a Nano in the city doesn't necessarily have to be easier than driving say, a Spark. If it doesn't offer this touted USP (unique selling point), then what's the point of having an ugly Nano with its zero boot space and skinny tyres, when one could have a much better looking car that also goes with a better image and a better engine?

(please don't say "cost". people still have second-hand / barely-used options in the same price range, and the real poor people / lower middle class are not likely to put all their money on a Nano if they dont have the money "to spare". If they do have that money to spare and really want a car in their household, they don't mind going for a loan for the extra amount. Purely subjective opinion but that's my reading).

Last edited by rajushank84 : 7th July 2011 at 23:04.
Old 7th July 2011, 23:35   #9
BANNED

There are lot more M-800's, Omni's and Alto's than the Nano in today's used car market. I dont see a logic here.

The M-800 is a tried-tested and a succesful product which is now past its prime, but still a workhorse. I own a 1997 M-800 which has done 2.5 lac kms till date, and hell yes, i have spent a lot in maintaining the car the way it is right now. Every car ages, let alone the Nano. Every small car in the used market will have its own share of pro's and cons, dont go by hearsay.

A lot depends on Perception, +-40 of my friends/relatives drive a Nano today and i feel more comfortable in a Nano, the space/comfort/FE and driveability is far more superior than the M-800, and space wise, it beats the Alto Black and blue. Well the Chevy Spark has lot of spunk in it too. Thats an ideal small car in the present day.

The 800 is a true icon for the best small car the country has ever seen, The Nano is in the making, it might get there someday.You need to make a choice, Go around TD any of the small car available and decide which is best, you have a really wide range to choose from. Else, you already have the solution, give one of your 800's to your dad, let him use it.

For THE BEST SOLUTION: Sell both your M-800's, invest a little amount and get your dad a used Santro Automatic or a i10 Automatic, and then see the joy on his face.

All the Best.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th July 2011 at 23:37.
Old 7th July 2011, 23:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I would stick to the tried and tested Maruti 800. Since you already have seem to have a spare M800 with you, is buying a third hatchback really required? Just my opinion

I bet that car can sell for at least 50k lesser than the original OTR price
This is because of exitement and greed to be owner of a much spoken about car in india. SUCH A GREAT LOSS just because of NANO, Hard earned monry going to drain.
Old 8th July 2011, 02:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I can give one 800 to my dad for his city commute instead of buying a used nano....
This is the best option dude.

After Nano TD when I drove my 5 year old Wagon-R I felt my baby was running with NOS+10 Turbos+100 BHP power Nano is utter under powered (No offense here, that's the fact)
I bet a well maintained 800 should take you for at least 150k km with a smile on your face but it is doubtful with nano.

To be more precise I would say one can be happy with Nano if it is his 1st car & for others who had tasted the power from other cars, Nano won't fit .Again no offense here. I came across many people saying they are happy with Nano as their second car & a few replaced their 800 & Padmini with Nano. Only they know whether they are really happy.
Old 8th July 2011, 06:50   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

unfortunately the Nano may have come just a tad too late for the aspirational Indian. It has been so widely touted as the world's cheapest car that for many people that tag is a bit of a turn off.
with easy finance availability, greater adoption of hire purchase mechanism for buying cars and burgeoning aspiration levels in the sub middle and middle classes of India, looks like everyone wants a piece of the action by stretching to get that dream car.
also there is a real need for space, bettter comfort, better engineering and performance. Hence the base level variants of practically all the hatches in the India market offer a better set of options than the Nano does.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@Lemans, like others have said, pls drop the Nano. The 800 is the safe option here. Esp since the car has been with you and you know it's history. Even if you have do some repairs & maintenance, you will be doing it on your car. If you do end up with a bad Nano, then you will be spending on some one else's bad piece.

Like they say, a known devil is better than an un-known angel.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A similar case can be seen with fortuner. People just went ahead and booked it and now realise that they cant drive it inside the city and there is no place to park it either. Many of them don't exactly know what 4*4 means. As a result you can find so many Fortuners in the Used car market.
Is that true? I have no idea of the used car market. If thats true then there must be some real good deals out there. I have a 3 year old almost a 100,000 km on the odo Safari. Lately I have been thinking of the future ahead. And if Fortuners are really available by big numbers in the used car market, then future looks bright!

Last edited by rrsteer : 8th July 2011 at 10:18.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Is that true? I have no idea of the used car market. If thats true then there must be some real good deals out there. I have a 3 year old almost a 100,000 km on the odo Safari. Lately I have been thinking of the future ahead. And if Fortuners are really available by big numbers in the used car market, then future looks bright!
Yup fortuners are not hard to find. But since there has been a price hike since its launch coupled with the factor that there still exists a waiting period for the car, therefore some of the asking prices are a little scary. Also toyota tends to retain its value more. Just two weeks back I was offered a 2010 model done only 9000 km for 18 lacs.

Most Viewed