Old 19th August 2011, 00:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Premium Petrol Hatches : which one to choose

Quote:
It would be primarily driven by wify. - Tick
Around 7500Kms per year. - Tick
Should be trouble free maintainance. - BIG Tick
Need not be best in class FE. - BIG Tick
Will be city driven 95%. But I dont want to take chances in Safety. So need safety components as defacto. (Airbags/ABS) - BIG Tick
Just close your eyes and book the ANHJ. It ticks all your requirements.

You will never regret your decision.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 01:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

You could wait for about a month longer and have a look at the Honda Brio as well. It's quite possible that the base variant itself may have ABS/Airbags - and going by the new Jazz prices, it could be priced quite competitively from Day 1.

Also, with the new Swift and now Jazz, I feel the other manufacturers may be forced to cut their prices as well in the coming months.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 06:01   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@Kumaravel

Honda Jazz all the way!!! The features (comfort & safety) and the new price make the Jazz a very desirable Hatch to own. I might as well get one for my wife once I'm through with my confusion of replacing my Fusion.

Remember, the wife's thought process on owning a car differs from ours. Hence, I would suggest you to get your wife test drive the car before jumping into a decision. Having driven the compact zen, Jazz/i20/Polo/Punto/etc might prove to be a handful for her. Possibly she may settle in for the i10 too.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 07:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
After the price release today, I would not even think twice! Its Jazz all the way! The swift will now be dethroned and will face severe competition. Welcome Jazz, the new king of the segment!
Honda Jazz unfortunately can be king of only a small part of the segment, ie the petrol premium hatch. But the petrol premium hatch market is about one fourth the size of the diesel one. So Jazz will remain a small player in the premium hatch market.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 11:23   #20
BANNED

As MAS stated, it is not just the best car..but the best car for your wife that needs to be considered. i think an i10 would be a great choice. But if she knows her cars and is a petrol head who wants more out of her car then like the others suggested TD the Jazz.
adidac369 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 11:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Have you though about the AT then? If so i10 or an i20 would be a good choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
First of all ask what your wifey likes by looks and the way they drive.

I would opine on

1. Micra diesel if you can or even petrol for its frugality and easy to drive nature. Also the design I feel is pretty feminine.

2. Honda Jazz. I own one and the practicality is amazing in this car. Also I consistently get 17-19 in the city. Wifey will love the space for when she goes shopping.

3. You can look at Figo and Beat diesel as worthy contenders. You can get a CNG kit for both installed from the dealer.

I would stay away from Polo diesel and Fabia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
IMO, you should seriously consider an AT. i10 or i20 auto should fit the bill.
Else Jazz S at 5.5 ex is an excellent option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@Kumaravel

Honda Jazz all the way!!! The features (comfort & safety) and the new price make the Jazz a very desirable Hatch to own. I might as well get one for my wife once I'm through with my confusion of replacing my Fusion.

Remember, the wife's thought process on owning a car differs from ours. Hence, I would suggest you to get your wife test drive the car before jumping into a decision. Having driven the compact zen, Jazz/i20/Polo/Punto/etc might prove to be a handful for her. Possibly she may settle in for the i10 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
You could wait for about a month longer and have a look at the Honda Brio as well. It's quite possible that the base variant itself may have ABS/Airbags - and going by the new Jazz prices, it could be priced quite competitively from Day 1.

Also, with the new Swift and now Jazz, I feel the other manufacturers may be forced to cut their prices as well in the coming months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidac369 View Post
As MAS stated, it is not just the best car..but the best car for your wife that needs to be considered. i think an i10 would be a great choice. But if she knows her cars and is a petrol head who wants more out of her car then like the others suggested TD the Jazz.

Most of the suggestions lead to Jazz.
Before ANHJ released, here choice was i10 or i20 AT, if Jazz doesn't have CVT version.
Its not a secret, the unstated need , that I want to have the fingers on the wify vehicle over the weekends.. Hence the alibi of researching the best to suit her needs .

If Brio is launched with a CVT/AT option in sept, then that might be the get into the radar. Till then, we would test driving the options we narrow down here...

I somehow forgot to add Liva in the list.. and noone suggested to consider Liva..

If someone had prepared a spreadsheet of comparo among the options, please upload.. over the weekend, I might prepare one or refine if someone uploads !!

As the usage would be not heavy, am ruling out Diesel, CNGs.. In Chennai CNG is not a option.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Errr, Polo diesel is better than the Polo 1.6? AFAIK, the 1.6 is a hot premium hatch.
But I agree with your suggestions: new Swift, i20 or the new Jazz makes a good choice for the above requirements.
Thank you A350XWB, I stand corrected, i guess i drove the 1.2 petrol and not the 1.6. Have been going through the 1.6 new ownership report i believe its quiet a hatch (Something on the lines of Palio 1.6 GTX, which used to be my favorite).

Here is the link to the review

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ew-200-km.html
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 11:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Now, with the Jazz @ 5.5 lakhs, it think its a no brainer.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

My priority would be

1) Jazz
2) i20
3) Polo (skeptical due to unknown upkeep)
4) Swift
5) Fabia (paranoid due to A.S.S)

Ain't the Jazz prices dropped? It's one heck of a 'premium' car, consider this seriously.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO you should decide between the JAZZ and the POLO 1.6. Test drive the same and decide. Looks and subjective it would best to experience the same and decide!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Was waiting for the launch of New Jazz for an upgrade for wify from Zen.
I can compare numbers. Beyond that, I look for team bhp for decision!! So help needed to compare these!!
You may look at following cars:
Vista, Figo, Beat, Micra, i10, Liva, Ritz, Swift, Polo, Fabia, Punto, i20 and Jazz.

I would rule out Punto/Vista, Fabia/Polo/Micra 1.2 petrol. First 2 cause of power to weight ratio and the later 3 as they are 3 potters!! Will also leave Figo Petrol aside as IMO its as good as say Vista 1.2 petrol.

While there is Vista/Punto 1.4 that you may look at. They might be slow off the block but have their own +ves to consider.

If you need to pick one among Beat, i10, Swift and Ritz, I would suggest i10 and that too AT. Your wife will love AT. If no AT then Go for Swift.

You may also look at Fabia/Polo 1.6. Among these 2 I would suggest Fabia cause it offers more interior space then Polo.

Now i20 and Jazz. After price reduction & features offered Jazz makes a very good buy. I would say much better then comparable variant of new Swift and i20.

So IMO it should be either i10 AT, Jazz or Fabia 1.6.

Last edited by HammerHead : 19th August 2011 at 12:48.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the new Swift Zxi! We love our Swifts, and with all the bells and whistles added and the VVT added on the petrol engine now, it is an unbeatable proposition.

Jazz, as many here have suggested, would be my next choice. It's got way more premium look and feel plus it's less common that the Swift.

Polo 1.6 is also a good car, though I would not go so far as to call it comparable to the Palio 1.6, which was a truly awesome car to drive. I have the same gasoline burner in my Vento AT and it is an OK engine, good on the highways but a little frustrating at low revs in the city.

i20 in berry red would probably be the perfect woman's car, but have never driven the car and people have reported niggles with the steering etc. so would be watchful.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
2. Honda Jazz. I own one and the practicality is amazing in this car. Also I consistently get 17-19 in the city. Wifey will love the space for when she goes shopping.
The ARAI figures are 16.7 kmpl for the Jazz. How are you able to get 17-19 in city driving mate? Please share the magic trick with us.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

It would be best if you first think of what you would replace your Fusion with. If you intend to buy another hatchback, then would you want twins in the garage?

I had the same dilemma and ended up with a Jazz and a Nano. for city runs both are used, while for highways its only the Jazz. With only 3 in the family and occasional 2 extra passengers, we dont require a bigger car (sedan or SUV). You may want to consider this too. Also, if your wife will be using it only in b2b traffic during the day, I would recommend a TD of the Nano. If for nothing else, just for the ease of parking! I wanted my wife to buy a car with ABS/ airbags too and was perhaps the biggest skeptic of the Nano, but was totally bowled over.

Enough of my story. here are my 2 cents:
Vista: not really exciting enough
Ritz: if you can live with that boomerang rear end and lack of rear space
Punto: the diesel is the one to go for
Polo: only if the wife is an enthu driver and interested in the 1.6
Micra: a decent option if the *** is good in your town.
Swift: good option but waiting periods are too long, and the rear is too cramped
i10: cramped rear but the AT is a good option
i20: no way, with all those steering rattle issues
Jazz: rocking car and will please everyone! oodles of space and a star of an engine
Nano: excellent choice for city runs, ease of parking, peppy drive and lots of space

To summarise, it could be a close call between the Jazz, Micra and i10 depending on her choice. Anything but the i20 would be my mantra; I dont think its reliable enough yet

For you, depending on your budget/ requirements I recommend you consider these:
Punto diesel: best diesel in class IMHO
Fiesta classic: pure driving bliss!
Linea: solid handling and drive, but a bit tight on space
Manza CS: around the corner, with oodles of space. total VFM
Optra Magnum tdci: class of 2 segments above at fabulous prices
Jazz: already mentioned. see if you get further discounts if you buy two!!

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th August 2011 at 13:00.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 13:26   #30
BHPian

I did'nt get you with your reason for being away from diesel cars.
In case of petrol Jazz is the best recommended, remember that if we are planning for our we need to consider for a big boot which would be more helpful for their shopping.
New swift would also be a better option.
Can also live up with Ritz.
Next to honda it is maruti that we can trust adding to this their A$$.

Micra and polo not aware of their upkeep costs.
pavan_6818 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed