Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 20:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Jazz? New Swift? What premium petrol hatchback?

Either the Jazz or the new swift for a trouble free ownership experience. I favor the Jazz for its space and seating re-arrangement options it offers, to accommodate occasional extra luggage.

Last edited by F150 : 20th August 2011 at 20:58.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:10   #47
BHPian

Friends,

This is a wonderful thread I have bumper into. Thanks for all the information that you have provided and it has come to my perview at the right time. Couple of my colleagues are planning to buy a hatchback and they have almost zeroed in on the new Swift that was launched recently. I shall lead them into this thread so that they can compare both Swift and Honda Jazz before deciding on one of them.

Thanks to all of you and keep the thread rolling.

Cheers, Kiran
Old 20th August 2011, 21:42   #48
Team-BHP Support

An absolute no-brainer, this. Close your eyes and get the Jazz.

And I'm not saying this because I've owned and driven one since 2010, it's because, there is simply no other car in the segment that comes close to it, in terms of practicality, efficiency, space and refinement. The Jazz is undoubtedly, the full stop in the premium petrol-hatch segment.

My mother drives the Jazz on a regular basis, and she says that it is such an easy car to drive. It might appear large, but then once you slip into it and drive it for a few kilometers, you'd realize how easy it is to maneuver it in traffic, because the wheels are positioned at the extreme corners of the car, allowing one to dispatch sharp turns, U-turns, lane changes, etc.

Fuel efficiency might not be of any concern to you, but do remember that it gives an astounding 15-20 on an average. Since it will be driven predominantly within city limits, expect 14 kilometers to the liter, with the AC switched on.

Now, with petrol hitting 70 in some parts of India, and only looking to get higher, in time, one would expect good efficiency from their petrol-hatch, and you'd realize that the Jazz pinches you a lot less than other petrol hatches around, in this particular segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Noopster it sells for around 6 lakh! I know its an entry level hatch as it comes with a plethora of options and trims, but I don't know why the AT model cant qualify for a premium hatch?

I am not looking for an argument but just want to know your basis of defining premium? Is it the average buyer profile?
The i10 just doesn't fall in the premium hatch category. Not because of anything else, but the fact that it is a small hatch that is meant for only city driving. It lacks the sort of space, power/performance, quality and equipment that a premium hatch promises. I know, that the top-of-the-line i20 comes with AT, sunroof and Auto-climate-control and so on, but that still wouldn't qualify it as a premium hatch.

You would know the difference when you climb out of an i10 and then get into a Jazz or a Polo, or even the Punto.

The i20 is another option, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is dynamically flawed. It probably wouldn't make a difference since it would be used only in the city, but Hyundais just don't feel the same a few years and several thousands of kilometers down the line.

I'm speaking with experience.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 22:41   #49
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma except for the fact that I'll be driving the car myself and have already booked the swift. Had a TD of the car as well and was thoroughly impressed. But ever since honda announced the price cut I have been having sleepless nights I'll have a TD of the jazz asap so that i can make a decision. Btw I did notice a lot of tyre noise seeping into the cabin of the swift...Vectras to blame?
Old 21st August 2011, 08:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaker
I am in a similar dilemma except for the fact that I'll be driving the car myself and have already booked the swift. Had a TD of the car as well and was thoroughly impressed. But ever since honda announced the price cut I have been having sleepless nights I'll have a TD of the jazz asap so that i can make a decision. Btw I did notice a lot of tyre noise seeping into the cabin of the swift...Vectras to blame?
Yes tyre noise can be attributed to the vectras. If I were you, I would go for the Jazz, would love to own a Honda.

Last edited by F150 : 21st August 2011 at 08:21.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:51   #51
BHPian

Does anybody know where I can get a TD of the new Jazz in Mumbai? I called Arya Honda of Prabhadevi but they don't have one.
Old 21st August 2011, 11:40   #52
BHPian

Re: Premium Petrol Hatches : which one to choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Also, if your wife will be using it only in b2b traffic during the day, I would recommend a TD of the Nano. If for nothing else, just for the ease of parking! I wanted my wife to buy a car with ABS/ airbags too and was perhaps the biggest skeptic of the Nano, but was totally bowled over.
Nice to know you/wife find nano easy to park, but from reviews i find the biggest drawback of nano is "Not easy to Park".
Reasons were
1. Absence of Power Steering.
2. No LRVM.

On side note the jazz was declared the winner in the parking test. And the driver was a lady guest.

Please see this video shot by Overdrive last year, showing the parking test done for hatchbacks. Nano comes at 4:00 timeframe slide.

Last edited by ajay387 : 21st August 2011 at 11:55.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:34   #53
BHPian

I think it boils down to only 3 cars

Jazz, swift, i20

Of these the Jazz and Swift are the best 2 petrol hatch backs in the premium space.

Now being a car for your wife, I guess the Jazz would be the best fit. Great space, Fantastic engine, good mileage and above all safety features in all variants. The next best bet now is Swift. However, it lags in space especially the boot.

My suggestion look at a TD between the above 3, most likely you will end up choosing the Jazz. All the best
Old 21st August 2011, 15:10   #54
BHPian

I saw the jazz in the morning today, arya honda didn't have a td vehicle. But the jazz wins hands down over the swift. If you thought that swift's interior quality has improved just wait till you see what the jazz has to offer! I cannot comment on the performance, ride and handling as i did not get a td but i'm pretty sure i'm cancelling the swift now. As for the person who started this thread, be sure to buy the jazz x if you are buying for wifey or the select with a couple of pillows because she may have problems with visibility due to the expansive dash
Old 21st August 2011, 15:23   #55
BHPian

Btw the honda guys are asking for a lac rupees as booking charges Do they usually do this? I mean...really, a lac rupees booking amount sounds like a lot!

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2011 at 18:59. Reason: Please proof-read your posts before submitting; correcting spellings
Old 21st August 2011, 15:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Premium Petrol Hatches : which one to choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay387 View Post
Nice to know you/wife find nano easy to park, but from reviews i find the biggest drawback of nano is "Not easy to Park".
Reasons were
1. Absence of Power Steering.
2. No LRVM.

On side note the jazz was declared the winner in the parking test. And the driver was a lady guest.
I agree the LRVM absence is indeed a glaring omission, they should be offered at least as options. It is quite dangerous even while driving. In fact I recommend all other drivers on the road to never overtake a Nano from the left. You cannot be seen!
I agree the Jazz is a hoot to park too, just that sometimes that much length is not available on streets here.
Old 21st August 2011, 19:06   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With due respect to everyone who is suggesting the i10, it is *not* a premium hatch by any stretch of the imagination. It is a nice entry level hatch with an AT for God's sakes!
Define premium. Only size? If so, then cars like the C Class & 3 series aren't premium either (considering they have less space than 1/2 price cars like the Altis).

I think the i10 Kappa2 is most definitely a premium hatch. Heck, I like it WAY more than even the i20. Why premium?

Quality? Check
Interior fit & finish? Check
Refinement? Check
Engine performance? Check. Kappa2 is as quick / quicker than even the Polo 1.6 BTW
Gearshift? Amongst the best this side of 10 lakhs
Equipment? Well, there is a variant with a sun-roof too

Automatic? Usually considered a premium option. Check.

The only downer to the i10 is its basic ride quality. But then, the Jazz is no magic carpet either.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 19:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Define premium. Only size? If so, then cars like the C Class & 3 series aren't premium either (considering they have less space than 1/2 price cars like the Altis).

I think the i10 Kappa2 is most definitely a premium hatch. Heck, I like it WAY more than even the i20. Why premium?

Quality? Check
Refinement? Check
Engine performance? Check. Kappa2 is as quick / quicker than even the Polo 1.6 BTW

The only downer to the i10 is its basic ride quality. But then, the Jazz is no magic carpet either.
Hmm, very rationally explained.

But in real life rationality rarely exists. What definitely exists is image or people's perception. And by that criteria the i10 is not a "premium" hatch. The same reason why a C-Class or a 3-series is "premium" is why the i10 is not so.

Even though, I completely agree with all your rational arguments, the image remains.
Old 21st August 2011, 22:25   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Hmm, very rationally explained.

But in real life rationality rarely exists. What definitely exists is image or people's perception. And by that criteria the i10 is not a "premium" hatch. The same reason why a C-Class or a 3-series is "premium" is why the i10 is not so.

Even though, I completely agree with all your rational arguments, the image remains.
Julupani, let's leave all of that to the uninformed masses. To me, premium is not defined by size. It is by the sheer quality & ownership experience of the product. That's why I believe that the i10 is a truly premium hatch, and it remains one of the most recommended by me.

Let's also not forget the industry-leading 5 year (optional) warranty that Hyundai offers.
Old 21st August 2011, 23:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
+1 if size (space too!) is the benchmark for premium then probably HM Amby is premium too, which isn't, at least no-ones mentioned it.

Quote:

Quality? Check
Refinement? Check
Quote:
Quality, Interior fit & finish - w.r. to... ? I am sure these 2 attributes are not better than at least i20.

Engine performance? Check. Kappa2 is as quick / quicker than even the Polo 1.6 BTW - 1.6 Polo=>11.1 secs for 0-100km/h, i10 Kappa 2=>13.3 secs, 0-100km/hr

- Not sure about all cars available today, at least Polo 1.2 is way ahead in this area, I am sure some other available cars won't be too far behind. I own Polo 1.2 and I have driven i10 Kappa2 for considerable distance to come to this conclusion

Equipment? Well, there is a variant with a sun-roof too - Well, this one is a bit tricky - please don't consider my post as judgmental - Are the features/equipment levels the benchmark for premium cars ? Remote lock, power windows, sunroof and many other small yet popular features always proved to be favorite amongst car buying public, also these things can be easily available outside with proper warranty etc.

But I was of the impression that Engine, Transmission, the feel good factor once I sit in driver seat (eg. both i10 and i20 have seats but the feel good factor is much much better in terms of comfort etc in i20), ride and handling contributes more about premium-ness and other features are secondary. Again, I may be wrong here, but these are just my views.

The only downer to the i10 is its basic ride quality. But then, the Jazz is no magic carpet either. - considering all factors like space/size, interior quality, technology (engine/transmission ==> Honda V Hyundai), features (excluding the sunroof), still Jazz would be far far ahead of i10 in premium-ness, probably ahead than i20 too.

Automatic? Usually considered a premium option. Check. - A-star also comes with Automatic options, no body mention it as premium though.

i10 is definitely premium in comparison to its immediate competition but thats it, beyond that its doubtful.

* These are just my views, no offense to any i10 owners.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 21st August 2011 at 23:27.
AvonA7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks