Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 16:38   #301
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
If you want a practical, easy commuter which any other family member may also drive and appreciate (for gizmos/interiors), get the i20 or Jazz.

P.S - if you can't wait for new launches, I go with suhaas' decision - go for the i20. It seems to match most of your requirements well.
yes, as i said, apart from me my dad will also drive the car occasionally and he is above 60 so wont be very keen on performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Its actually very easy, at least I think it is. I steer the Jazz, it does what I want it to do. I steer the i20, it does what it wants to do.

Are you sure about the 6 airbags and sunroof? I thought these were discontinued a couple of years ago. To be honest, if there is anything like a negative vote, I offer a strong one for the i20. I am not saying you buy the Jazz or the Punto, all I am saying is dont buy the i20.

You will end up with two hatchbacks and then wonder why you didnt listen to the guy who said this (who by the way has two hatchbacks!)

Dont do it, just go for a sedan or a SUV. or even a softroader. Two years down the line, you wont consider replacing one of your hatchbacks.
Actually i thought over it for quite some time, not sure if many of you know me in person but i am actually more of a biker than a car-guy
So i dont mind having a 2 hatchbacks in the garage as long as it is accompanied by a cruiser / sports bike

Yes, Asta (O) has 6 airbags, front + curtain+door and also a sunroof and is 6.73 ex showroom, Jazz is 6.77
Quote:
Folks will usually complain about it here only when it fails to work ,

Perhaps the only nagging irritant of the Blue&Me is inability to recognize certain words (voice commands) pronounced in Indian accents. The bypass for this is to use the menu interface via the steering control buttons.
Actually, i have driven a very close friends Punto for about 100 kms (not usually my policy to drive others cars but this has to be an exception to prove the rule)
And i was not able to connect my Samsung Galaxy Y to the B&M system, i know it is not rocket science but then that is the point that if such simple things dont work then why advertise it so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Shridhar,

You're requirements suggest that you'd be happy with the Hyundai i20. It's loaded with equipment and the goodies will keep you happy.

If you can wait, I suggest you hold on. There are some exciting products on the way. Namely the Polo 1.2 TSI and if you can stretch your budget, the EcoSport will be a viable option.
Ecosport must be around 10 lacs right, sorry sir but dont have that much moolah , if it is around 8'ish then yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
How soon are you looking to buy a car ? I'd suggest you hang on till March since the Polo Tsi and Punto refresh are expected to launch then.
Based on your test drives, which car did u enjoy the most, or rather which one did you see ticking all the boxes ?
I am planning to book the car in march as i want to have enough cash for accessories, head light upgrades etc
No costly brands like VW for me, if anything goes kaput will have to break into a bank to source funds for the parts
I have driven the Punto and chauffeured in i20, individual test drives are pending and will keep you updated on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
So.. Punto is the best *driver's car* in the 3 shortlisted, but it doesn't have power folding mirrors.

Jazz has power folding mirrors, good fuel economy, good features, but no bluetooth.

i20 has all the required features, but its not as engaging to drive as the other 2.

So.. buy either Jazz or the Punto.. and get the missing item as an aftermarket fitment (whichever is possible).

Any specific reason for not considering Chevy Sail-UVA? Interiors?
Not a big fan of Chevvy
Old 28th January 2013, 17:37   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
And i was not able to connect my Samsung Galaxy Y to the B&M system, i know it is not rocket science but then that is the point that if such simple things dont work then why advertise it so much
Yes the initial versions were a bit buggy and did cause some trouble. I'm not in any way defending Microsoft here, but updating to later versions solves most of those connectivity issues, just like their windows service packs . Buying a new car will anyway get the latest version. Jokes apart, almost all owners are satisfied with Blue&Me, so it cannot be generalized that Blue&Me is troublesome, that's my point. Connectivity/incompatibility issues can just as well happen with any other OEM Bluetooth system as it can with B&M.

Another thing that perhaps may not matter to you, is that the Fiat OEM audio system does not come with Aux input facility, while the i20 does offer this . Just a mention.

EDIT : Shridhar, in case you have already visited the showrooms, could you please mention the on-road prices of these 3 cars that you are looking at? Just curious to know what they are priced at (relative to each other), and how much of discounts are being dished out now on petrol variants.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th January 2013 at 17:58.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 20:15   #303
BHPian

Quote:

Ecosport must be around 10 lacs right, sorry sir but dont have that much moolah , if it is around 8'ish then yes

I am planning to book the car in march as i want to have enough cash for accessories, head light upgrades etc
No costly brands like VW for me, if anything goes kaput will have to break into a bank to source funds for the parts
If you are looking for an inexpensive to maintain car, then I'm afraid both your choices (i20 and jazz) are unsuitable. i20 spares have always been expensive. While the Jazz's are presently not as expensive, I expect prices to go northwards should Honda decide to discontinue the car.

Really, why don't you consider a new gen swift and use all the money you save (almost 80k) to get all kinds of aftermarket accessories?
Old 28th January 2013, 20:27   #304
BHPian

Have you considered the Micra or Sunny Petrols?
Old 28th January 2013, 21:29   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Really, why don't you consider a new gen swift and use all the money you save (almost 80k) to get all kinds of aftermarket accessories?
I already have swift Petrol so not sure if i need one more in the garage, but actually yes, if i do a comparo for the sake of it, it ticks almost all boxs, will post a quick comparison chart soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Have you considered the Micra or Sunny Petrols?
No sir, i dont want to experiment with these unknown brands
besides service is still a question mark
Old 29th January 2013, 12:44   #306
BHPian

Hello All,
Based on what i discussed here is a quick comparison chart with a few features i had mentioned
The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-temp.jpg
Also if I pull out the unique features list and sales figures you can see the results for yourself
The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-temp2.jpg

Now i am really suprised at Jazz production maybe shut down hence can not risk buying such a car, looks like soon the options will soon be reduced to only 2 cars
For Swift i did inquire and there were absolutely no offers on that car even in petrol model, i dont know if SA was just bluffing considering the high petrol rates i did expect some discount
shridhar.s.i is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 15:01   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Now i am really suprised at Jazz production maybe shut down hence can not risk buying such a car
I took this up with the Honda outlets in Hyderabad when I was in the market for a new car for a friend and they said the Jazz is scheduled to be redesigned for a launch of the newer model in 2014. There are also members on the Honda Jazz official review thread claiming the same.

Agreed the Jazz doesn't sell well like the City or even Brio but I don't think they will be phasing out such an awesome car but then again there is no official word on phase outs or on redesign, so things are entirely up to you.
Old 6th February 2013, 08:11   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
I took this up with the Honda outlets in Hyderabad when I was in the market for a new car for a friend and they said the Jazz is scheduled to be redesigned for a launch of the newer model in 2014. There are also members on the Honda Jazz official review thread claiming the same.
Yes its suppose to coming by 2014 and as per what I read, is based out of Mexico. But what I can't see how it would come to India soon.

http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/honda-...-jazz-in-2014/

But since its coming next year, I expect issues with spares availability with the current model.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:49   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on what i discussed here is a quick comparison chart with a few features i had mentioned
The other points seem ok. But when you mention tyre size and allot points for that, have you considered that mileage will be adversely impacted by tyre size?
Also when you look at power, it might be better to consider power/ weight ratio.

Quote:
Also if I pull out the unique features list and sales figures you can see the results for yourself
What is theatre dimming and clutch lock? At the end of the day, you need to decide whether you will use rain sensing wipers, heated mirrors, magic seats or if you just want a better car. My opinion is focus on the car not on the gizmos, many of which can be added in the aftermarket.
What I would like to add is if you are looking at a good resale value somewhere down the line. If so, then the Jazz and Punto are clearly out of contention. Not so sure about the i20, but a Swift would sell sooner.
Any reason the Polo is not on the list? and sorry to return to a basic point but why not a diesel hatchback? If you look at that aspect, the Punto blows everyone out of the water.

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th February 2013 at 10:54.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 13:09   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Putting features and specs side by side and looking at them is a good start.

The problem arises when you try being objective about them and assign values (1, 0.75, etc. etc.). IMO it doesn't make sense to assign five equal weightage to 'Engine Capacity' and 'Clutch Footrest'. Every analysis goes up for a toss and it becomes worse when you add it up and say one is better than the other.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th February 2013 at 17:19.
Animesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 13:50   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What is theatre dimming and clutch lock?
Theatre dimming - when you switch off the engine and take out the keys from the car, the roof lamps switch on in dimming effect gradually to full intensity. When you unlock the car, same thing happens. If you insert the key to start it, the light gradually dims and goes off . Simple explanation - the lights don't abruptly switch on/off.

Clutch lock - you need to press the clutch down every time you crank the car, even if the car is currently in neutral.
Old 12th February 2013, 15:23   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple explanation - the lights don't abruptly switch on/off.

Clutch lock - you need to press the clutch down every time you crank the car, even if the car is currently in neutral.
Oh yes, those lights are so blindingly bright!
The clutch part I do it anyway, not sure why.

Thanks for the explanation though. I dont think either of these really qualifies to be a dela breaker while considering a car. But then thats just me

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th February 2013 at 15:25.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 15:36   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post

The problem arises when you try being objective about them and assign values (1, 0.75, etc. etc.). IMO it doesn't make sense to five equal weightage to 'Engine Capacity' and 'Clutch Footrest'. Every analysis goes up for a toss and it becomes worse when you add it up and say one is better than the other.
I can't agree with you more. One needs to assign weightages based on one's needs to get a better picture.

Quote:
Theatre dimming - when you switch off the engine and take out the keys from the car, the roof lamps switch on in dimming effect gradually to full intensity. When you unlock the car, same thing happens. If you insert the key to start it, the light gradually dims and goes off . Simple explanation - the lights don't abruptly switch on/off.

My wife hates the theater-dimming lights in the Fiesta. As it is, she is cut up after the sun film was removed, and switching off at traffic junctions adds fuel to the fire of showing outsiders what is inside the car.

As regards clutch lock, I don't know why but I always press it before starting any car.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 23:54   #314
BHPian

Hello friends
I m driving old honda city 2001 model with cng after my polo tdi met with accident. We loved that car - everyyhing about it. Now that its gone, and I got a used car for the time being, we have decided to get one for my wife too. She will have her 2 toddlers to move around for hobbies, schools, supermarkets , banks etc. After getting used to polo build quality n interiors we are not really getting impressed with any hatches like figo, brio, i10 etc. Our requirement is premium feel, abs, airbags, petrol, strong AC, space for all. And just to have a change we thought too look for something apart from polo.
Swift - gross cost cutting, windows are so light, someone just broke my friends new zxi with a punch and stole stuff

We got stuck on Jazz Select or Jazz X but were disappointed as they dont take booking amount only full payment check and if the car gets available they will get us. The only color was silver for immediate availability. We needed red.
Can someone help us source a Jazz through contacts?

In case Jazz cant be bought, which other hatch option do we have? When is Polo TSI coming exactly? Are they taking booking amount?

Thanks n I m open to all suggestions
Old 13th February 2013, 00:41   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
After getting used to polo build quality n interiors we are not really getting impressed with any hatches
Quote:
And just to have a change we thought too look for something apart from polo.
Quote:
In case Jazz cant be bought, which other hatch option do we have?
If you are missing your Polo that much then why not to look at the Fabia, equally good as the Polo and feels much more plush inside compared to Polo and has better rear leg space.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed