Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 12:23   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

We are back at looking for a new hatchback, for my BIL. For a couple i could think of few hatchbacks that would suit him in Bangalore.
  • Brio
  • Swift
  • Micra
  • Ritz
  • Beat
  • i10
  • Figo
How do they all stack up, for mostly City errands? As far as i think i have removed Polo, Punto, Sail, Liva, Pulse, Fabia, as either i don't think they are painless to own or they are too expensive.
Old 29th March 2013, 18:07   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We are back at looking for a new hatchback, for my BIL. For a couple i could think of few hatchbacks that would suit him in Bangalore.
  • Brio
  • Swift
  • Micra
  • Ritz
  • Beat
  • i10
  • Figo
How do they all stack up, for mostly City errands? As far as i think i have removed Polo, Punto, Sail, Liva, Pulse, Fabia, as either i don't think they are painless to own or they are too expensive.
Have you listed them in you order of preferance? My preference will also be the same with the i10 and figo over the beat.

My suggestion would be the Brio. A good reliable FTD car. Between the swift and the Brio, Brio makes more sense for a petrol. Figo looks dated, Micra and Ritz look quirky (personal opinion), Beat and i10 are a segment below.

Brio has a lot of space, good reliable engine, nice interiors and if you are fine with the glass boot lid, Brio is the one.
Old 29th March 2013, 18:25   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
  • Brio
  • Swift
  • Micra
  • Ritz
  • Beat
  • i10
  • Figo
It would be the Brio for me if you are looking at a within-city commuter. It is a good practical hatchback, with rather generous space on the inside, good styling on the outside and a peppy engine that loves to be revved. Last but not the least, it comes with the Honda badge. As Shome mentioned, if the rear glass boot can be digested, its a no-brainer.

Since you recently bought a Civic yourself, you can manage to bag some additional discounts at the same showroom too, right? *winks*

Ideally, if you are striking out the other big hatches you mentioned, even the Swift ZXi will be from the upper segment and should be out of your list with regards to pricing (costs upward of 7.3L on-road for the ZXi in Bangalore). If you still want to consider it, I can tell you we had a Swift ZXi for quite a few years at home, and it was a pleasurable experience in terms of driving, maintenance and ownership. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this car to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Beat and i10 are a segment below.
I would like to disagree with that . The Brio is technically not in the big-hatch league (i20 / Polo / Punto / Fabia / Swift) in terms of features or specs. There was the Jazz to do that job in the big hatch league, but it has been discontinued now. That's a separate story though.

I consider the Brio to be the correct competition for i10 / Beat / Ritz and all the other mid-size hatches, not for the bigger players.

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th March 2013 at 18:34.
Old 14th April 2013, 18:48   #334
BHPian

Guys,

While I was looking for an AT car for dad, my brother had decided he wants a car too.

What we are looking for are:

Premium Hatchback
Manual Transmission
Below 7L
Good safety package (Airbags & ABS are vital, EBD too preferably)
As feature loaded as possible (standardised alloys, rear sensors, USB, Bluetooth etc)
No Maruti
Petrol (Dont think any diesel premium hatch comes at this price which is feature loaded as well)

After going through the on road prices, I was astonished to find out that Polo Highline just costs 6.3L on road without negotiation and is feature loaded as well now. Thus it seems to be the best choice I can think off.

Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations/opinions which could help me make a better decision?
Old 14th April 2013, 20:14   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys,

While I was looking for an AT car for dad, my brother had decided he wants a car too.

Premium Hatchback
Manual Transmission
Below 7L
As feature loaded as possible (standardised alloys, rear sensors, USB, Bluetooth etc)
No Maruti
Petrol (Dont think any diesel premium hatch comes at this price which is feature loaded as well)

After going through the on road prices, I was astonished to find out that Polo Highline just costs 6.3L on road without negotiation and is feature loaded as well now. Thus it seems to be the best choice I can think off.

Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations/opinions which could help me make a better decision?
Considering your requirements the i20 1.2 Asta fits perfectly
It's the most feature loaded hatch you can get
But,if you want a fun to drive car look away.
Old 14th April 2013, 21:24   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Considering your requirements the i20 1.2 Asta fits perfectly
It's the most feature loaded hatch you can get
But,if you want a fun to drive car look away.
Isn't i20 Asta more than 7L on road in Delhi?
Old 15th April 2013, 02:51   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Premium Hatchback
Manual Transmission
Below 7L
No Maruti

If you are getting a polo highline at 6.3L onroad, I would suggest you to seal the deal, for same amount of money, I doubt you would get a better specced car. Only downside is 3 pot engine and rear space.

Or, a figo, I guess you can get a top end figo diesel in your budget, Which is a decent package, Though it lacks on features list, But nothing you can't live without. It drives well, Has alloys, Bluetooth stereo, etc and plus the biggest factor, its a diesel
Old 15th April 2013, 06:37   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

If you are getting a polo highline at 6.3L onroad, I would suggest you to seal the deal, for same amount of money, I doubt you would get a better specced car. Only downside is 3 pot engine and rear space.

Or, a figo, I guess you can get a top end figo diesel in your budget, Which is a decent package, Though it lacks on features list, But nothing you can't live without. It drives well, Has alloys, Bluetooth stereo, etc and plus the biggest factor, its a diesel
Will check out the Figo
Aren't service and spare parts cost for ford higher than Volkswagen at this price range?
Old 15th April 2013, 06:39   #339
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Guys,

Premium Hatchback
Manual Transmission
Below 7L
No Maruti

I would say go for it.

Getting a well specced Euro stylish car like the polo highline at 6.3 on road is a good buy.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:42   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Polo at 6.3 is a good deal. An i20 Asta with comfort and space, should be available at just above 7 I think. It should not be way over 7. Do check that aspect out before you decide.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:19   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying to decide on a petrol car, it's now between the Brio and the Swift.

Since the car will be used 90% of the time in the city and 99% of the time by at most 2 people (80% of the time, just one person, for the daily commute), I'm in favor of the Brio. But the wife is pretty keen on the Swift.

The point I always lose to her on is the 'Maruti service' factor. Is the Honda service comparable to Maruti these days, in terms of parts availability and service costs?

ABS and airbags are an important point for our purchase and when you take that into consideration, getting a Brio with those features for a almost a lakh less than the comparable Swift model seems a great value proposition for me.

The problem is that no one I know has a Brio, while we have access to several Swift owners' opinions.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:48   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Premium Hatchback
Manual Transmission
Below 7L
No Maruti

Polo is a good deal. I also suggest you have a look at Pulse AT as well. It may not be as desirable as polo but is certainly a very loaded car.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:39   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Polo at 6.3 is a good deal. An i20 Asta with comfort and space, should be available at just above 7 I think. It should not be way over 7. Do check that aspect out before you decide.
i20 asta costs around 7.2L which is 90k over Polo highline.
The extra features I get are:
Keyless Entry, rear camera, rain sensing wipers, DRL, turn indicators on outside mirror.

That does not seem to be worth for 90k :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post

Polo is a good deal. I also suggest you have a look at Pulse AT as well. It may not be as desirable as polo but is certainly a very loaded car.
Brother not ready for it as its not a looker.
Old 15th April 2013, 20:34   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That does not seem to be worth for 90k :(
The space you get is definitely worth it I would say. Its definitely better than Polo in terms of space.

Quote:
  • Brio
  • Swift
  • Micra
  • Ritz
  • Beat
  • i10
  • Figo

- Petrol Vs Diesel ?
- Is Maruti fine with him? If yes, Swift/Ritz are the goto cars.
- Else you look across the spectrum.

Last edited by ampere : 15th April 2013 at 20:37.
Old 16th April 2013, 02:04   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will check out the Figo
Aren't service and spare parts cost for ford higher than Volkswagen at this price range?
I guess no, It will be on the par with VW, if not less. Plus being a diesel, you get cheaper running cost and long service intervals. I am not sure, but i guess figo diesel has 10k/1yr service schedule to be followed.

And, after driving punto and figo both, I can say that figo is the benchmark in ride and handling department in the segment, Period

Even i want to buy one, But currently waiting for pricing of ecosport to be announced before jumping the gun.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed