Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 22:33   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaka1 View Post

which Punto version do you own? Is it 1.3 MJD or 1.2 Ltr? GTO review says it lacks punch (though I didn't understand what that means) Is there a ownership review thread available for 1.3 MJD dynamic and 1.2 Ltr versions separately?
I own a 2009 MJD Emotion. As I understand, its the equivalent of the current Dynamic. A close friend of mine owns the 1.2 Petrol.
I, personally, have never felt that the power is inadequate. Yes, its not a wheel spinning rubber burning monster, but then its no slouch either. My friend too is quite happy with his 1.2. He does do highway travels and even on those occasions he's quite satisfied with the performance.
My advice to you would be to take as many back to back test drives as possible and arrive at a decision based on your experience. What some may term 'slow' might be 'fast' to you, the converse also being true. Since power and speed are highly dependent on individual perception, only you will be the best judge of that matter.
Old 26th December 2013, 00:07   #707
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto (Diesel or petrol) or i10 grand, help me make a decision

Quote:
Is 1.2 really such an under performer?

Is there a ownership review thread available for 1.3 MJD dynamic and 1.2 Ltr versions separately?
I own a Punto 1.2 Dynamic and so will try to answer some of your queries.

Be it city or highway, as long as there are only 1 or 2 people in the car and you haven't switched on A/c, the 1.2 engine won't make you feel the lack of power. However, switch on the A/c and with 3-4 adults sitting in the car, you will definitely feel that its under powered. Do take a TD yourself with 4 people and A/c on. In a situation where you come down to low speeds and when you try to make a quick move(in 2nd gear), it won't respond in the same way you expect a Maruti K-series 1.2 engine or a Honda 1.2 engine or even a Hyundai Grand i10 1.2. You need to dial in some revs, shift down to 1st and only then she'll start moving.

In a highway the same story repeats, but here comes the good thing. If you want to just cruise at highway speeds, then you will be more than happy. The chassis & suspension will make you feel you are driving a car twice its price and the confidence and solidity it imparts in the driver is fantastic for a hatchback. This is in comparison with the hatchbacks from Maruti/Hyundai etc.

We get an average of about 14kmpl with 50:50 city and highway running. Mileage goes down to 10-11kmpl in the city with A/c on, but cruising on a highway at moderate speeds, the car has consistently given figures between 16-18kmpl.

I had TD an i20 1.2 during the time of our purchase, and the lack of power was definitely evident though not as much as a Punto 1.2. Recently I had the chance to drive an i10 1.2 and it did not feel the same. In fact, it was quite the opposite and the engine was peppy enough. So, my point is although i10/Grand i10/i20 may share the same 1.2 engine, the feeling of power will be different in all of them due to their weight. Hence, do take a TD of Grand i10 rather than following the advice of SA which may give you an impression of low performance for Grand i10 petrol also.

If you're eyeing a petrol car based on your usage, I would pick the Grand i10 1.2 over the Punto 1.2 any day. But if its a diesel, my pick would be the Punto 1.3 MJD instead of the Grand i10's 1.1 diesel.

Finally, here are two ownership threads, first one being the most regularly updated one for a Punto 1.2 and the second a lazy one by me.

There are many ownership reviews for the Punto 1.3 MJD in our forum, you should be able to find them easily.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...2-emotion.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 01:16   #708

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Friends,

finally it's going to be 1.3 mjd dynamic. I paid a nominal booking amount of 1000/- and am expecting it to be delivered by sat evening. Pearl white is the choice of color. Wife and the kid preferred oceanic blue. But since they are out of stock, pearl white is the next choice. Your wonderful and honest opinions helped me make a decision. I'll post initial ownership experience once I get the car.

Thanks very much once again.
salaka1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 09:32   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

finally it's going to be 1.3 mjd dynamic. I paid a nominal booking amount of 1000/- and am expecting it to be delivered by sat evening. Pearl white is the choice of color. Wife and the kid preferred oceanic blue. But since they are out of stock, pearl white is the next choice. Your wonderful and honest opinions helped me make a decision. I'll post initial ownership experience once I get the car.

Thanks very much once again.
Congratulations on your car. What was the final deal that you got? BTW out of curiosity did you check the Figo afterall?
Old 29th December 2013, 02:18   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations on your car. What was the final deal that you got? BTW out of curiosity did you check the Figo afterall?
Mohit, Thanks. The final deal that I got was 6.60 lacs OTR. Got 40k for my 2001 Santro plus another 5000 off towards corporate (or some other) discount. Overall 6.15 is the final payment I made after giving over the keys of my Santro.

Yes, I checked Figo too. More about it and other TD experiences later in detail once I cross the 'newbie' step and qualify to post photographs.

GUYS,

the pearly Italian angel reached home. Took the delivery on sat. Went for a quick small 10 km drive with wife, kid and parents followed by a family dinner at Minerva to celebrate the occasion. The whole family is ecstatic. Mom and dad absolutely loved the ride. Dad couldn't believe it when I said he rode a ..... DIESEL car. Wife, as usual squeezed as many freebies as she can from the dealer The kid can't wait tell his friends at school.

The whole buying experience was made truly wonderful by the courteous and cooperating sales staff.

I'll post initial ownership review and other details soon along with pics very soon.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th December 2013 at 07:43. Reason: Back to back posts.
salaka1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:10   #711
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I checked Figo too. More about it and other TD experiences later in detail once I cross the 'newbie' step and qualify to post photographs.

I'll post initial ownership review and other details soon along with pics very soon.
Hey congrats on your lovely purchase. It would serve you well.

On the newbie part, it doesn't matter. I posted my first review as soon as I was in the forum. Create a car review post and it will be in the assembly line until you are ready to post it. Take your time to craft your review.
Old 3rd January 2014, 06:15   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GUYS,

the pearly Italian angel reached home. Took the delivery on sat. Went for a quick small 10 km drive with wife, kid and parents followed by a family dinner at Minerva to celebrate the occasion. The whole family is ecstatic. Mom and dad absolutely loved the ride. Dad couldn't believe it when I said he rode a ..... DIESEL car. Wife, as usual squeezed as many freebies as she can from the dealer The kid can't wait tell his friends at school.

The whole buying experience was made truly wonderful by the courteous and cooperating sales staff.

Congrats Salaka. Take them on a longish drive on the highway, they ll love it more.

My dealership experience too had been wonderful here at Pune. Quite contrary to what some people have shared here.

Looking forward to the ownership review.
Old 6th January 2014, 08:49   #713
Team-BHP Support

With the top end Liva diesel coming into picture, buyers should re-look at their equations. The reliable Toyota guy with most features added seems like very good buy for those looking at a no-nonsense product that will serve for a long time. I frankly dont know how the drive part of the 1.4 D4D compares against the 1.3 MJD, but surely no second thoughts about reliability.

Have they started shipping this version already? Any new takers? Not that I want one, but was curious to hear about this.
Old 10th January 2014, 07:57   #714

Would you rather go for a top end Grand i10 or a top end honda brio MT?
Old 10th January 2014, 10:23   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by almoalgam View Post
Grand i10 for sure.
Brio negatives- small boot, awkward dashboard.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:33   #716
BHPian

Quote:
The top variant of Brio is no match to the Grand i10. Grand i10 is a perfect hatchback with all the features one could have expected from a hatchback at such competitive price.

The car is bringing in volumes for Hyundai on the lines the manufacturer had expected.

Its solid built and class apart interior quality leaves us with much to be desired from Brio. The Grand i10 has been able to set a benchmark for other car manufacturers to follow.

Last edited by mints21 : 10th January 2014 at 10:34. Reason: typo
Old 10th January 2014, 11:54   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
The top variant of Brio is no match to the Grand i10. Grand i10 is a perfect hatchback with all the features one could have expected from a hatchback at such competitive price.

The car is bringing in volumes for Hyundai on the lines the manufacturer had expected.

Its solid built and class apart interior quality leaves us with much to be desired from Brio. The Grand i10 has been able to set a benchmark for other car manufacturers to follow.
The brakes disappoint me. I'm a little hesitant to get it as it would be my first new car and i'm afraid that i wont get used to them soon.
Old 10th January 2014, 17:44   #718
BHPian

Quote:
I was in a similar dilemma recently, before I chose Grand i10. The reasons have been adequately listed in the other replies.
The only case where I would choose Brio over Grand i10 would be for an AT. What was Hyundai thinking when they removed airbags and ABS from Grand AT .
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 17:49   #719
BANNED

Quote:
My opinion if I was in your place it would be the Honda Brio. The Hyundai doesn't come close for me.

Fun to drive, reliable and very good ASC.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 18:13   #720
BHPian

Quote:
I've had a brio for 2 years and have driven it 35k Kms in this time.

My driving within the city is about 20km a day. Other cars are used by dad and bro. But since we bought the brio my bro and dad have completely stopped using the other cars. It is super reliable/comfortable and so easy and fun to drive.

Hyundai may give u a much better overall package much like a 20lac skoda will give u over a 20lac BMW.

But Hyundai in my experience isn't half as reliable and solid as a honda.

I'd recommend the brio.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks