Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 19:03   #721
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

I've had a brio for 2 years and have driven it 35k Kms in this time.

My driving within the city is about 20km a day. Other cars are used by dad and bro. But since we bought the brio my bro and dad have completely stopped using the other cars. It is super reliable/comfortable and so easy and fun to drive.

Hyundai may give u a much better overall package much like a 20lac skoda will give u over a 20lac BMW.

But Hyundai in my experience isn't half as reliable and solid as a honda.

I'd recommend the brio.
Fully agree with you. Brilliant explanation from the owners keyboard!

Hyundai would give you good quality looking hi-fi but the boat like handling and not-so powerful engine isn't worth.

But the ownership experience, drivability is much better in the Honda, yes it may have a small bit and awkward looking dash but these is just matter of time to get used to. Swift has no boot but still it sells, Ritz has a awkward backend but still people have accepted and moved on. Same applies for the Brio.

Anurag.
Old 11th January 2014, 00:56   #722

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I was in a similar dilemma recently, before I chose Grand i10. The reasons have been adequately listed in the other replies.
The only case where I would choose Brio over Grand i10 would be for an AT. What was Hyundai thinking when they removed airbags and ABS from Grand AT .
were the brakes hard to get used to? the quick bite brakes seem awfully hard to get used to
Old 12th January 2014, 19:04   #723
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I was in a similar dilemma recently, before I chose Grand i10. The reasons have been adequately listed in the other replies. The only case where I would choose Brio over Grand i10 would be for an AT. What was Hyundai thinking when they removed airbags and ABS from Grand AT .

Same dunderhead logic which prompts them to sell the I20 AT with one single Driver Airbag!
Blundering blunderbusses.
Sincerely, what are they imbibing, unbeknownst to the consumer?
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:06   #724
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

There have been speculations and scoops regarding the new swift with slight exterior changes like DRLs and new features like cruise control. But does anyone have an idea when will this get released in India? The new swift has already been released in the gulf countries because I spotted a few in Dubai during my holidays there.

I am planning to buy a hatch within the next few months and swift is my best choice after test driving various cars of this segment. If it gets released right after the auto show next month it will be big boon as I can go for the new swift or else it would be a great miss if i buy the current gen swift now and the newer one gets launched right after that.

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:44   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Hi Everyone,

There have been speculations and scoops regarding the new swift with slight exterior changes like DRLs and new features like cruise control. But does anyone have an idea when will this get released in India? The new swift has already been released in the gulf countries because I spotted a few in Dubai during my holidays there.

I am planning to buy a hatch within the next few months and swift is my best choice after test driving various cars of this segment. If it gets released right after the auto show next month it will be big boon as I can go for the new swift or else it would be a great miss if i buy the current gen swift now and the newer one gets launched right after that.

Thanks in advance
If you went through the thread dedicated to it properly, you would see that it is scheduled to launch sometime in the summer.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:21   #726
BHPian

Which hatch ? Budget: 7L : Diesel ; Cars: Vista Vx vs Liva GD

Hello All,

I need some suggestion on finalizing a diesel hatch

Requirements
Diesel (Daily run of 60km; weekend: 100+)
Should seat 5 comfortably
MUST have ABS
Will own for at least 5 years, if not more
Low maintenance
During long drives Should be comfortable for driver as well as the passengers.

Usage
Daily run of about 60km
Weekly additional 100km
80% city ; 20% long drives (once in a month or so)
Self driven

Not considered
sedans, compact sedans - for the size as well as the flexibility of rear seat being folded in needs
suv/muv --> while nice to have, not efficient in my case as during my daily commute, only I will be in the car

Other cars considered:

Swift --> only zdi having abs and it is way above my budget, also rear seat cannot seat 3
figo --> good car, but cost coming to 7.6L for abs version (though you get airbags, ICE also)
Sail uva --> ticks most of the points, but according to friends owing chevy, maintenance post 3-4 yrs is a pain

Cars Shortlisted

skipping the common pros & cons

Vista Vx (older version)
Pros
ICE also included, with bluetooth
Cost: After discount coming to about 6.8L OTR Bangalore

Cons
not sure how it will age during 5+yrs running
mindset about tata niggles

Vista VX Tech
Pros
gadgets (like nav. system, etc)
cons
some cool features like 60:40 rear split, seat height adjustment, etc. removed
cost: 25k more than vista vx
not sure how it will age during 5+yrs running
mindset about tata niggles

liva GD
Pros
good quality , less worry on maintenance
good drivability in city

cons
build quality ; too light ?

Price OTR in blr:
Vista vx 6.8 L (well within my budget)
Vista tech vx 7.1 L (need to stretch my budget)
Liva GD 7.3 L (need to stretch my budget a little more)

Which car would you recommend ? any other points i need to consider ?
any other cars I missed ?
Should I go for Liva GD with 50k extra ? i've TD vista and the old Liva . heard that the new Liva D is much more refined and NVH is better.
Vista Vx is a breeze to drive, only worry is long term ownership niggles

your expert opinion would greatly help me finalize.. Thanks!

@mods: I searched the sub forum, though there are threads for liva, vista, etc, couldn't exactly get the comparo from my requirements point of view.. If other threads are there, please excuse, and merge. thanks.
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:26   #727
BHPian

Re: Which hatch ? Budget: 7L : Diesel ; Cars: Vista Vx vs Liva GD

Any reason for skipping RITZ? VDI version comes with ABS and it is 7.32 lakhs OTR bangalore. If you are not worried about the rear of the Car, you can consider it. I own a VDI (without ABS) for the past 2 years. Though my running is not that much , it is giving trouble free running. You can search the RITZ threads here also. It is "fill it, shut it , forget it " type car.
srikanthns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:03   #728
BHPian

Buddy, you can consider an i20 or Nissan Micra. They are good cars as well. I have both of them. On a personal choice, I rate Nissan as the best diesel car but do not recommend because of the after sale service issue. I am sure with the termination of Nissan's agreement with Hover things are going to improve. My experience with Micra is that it requires a visit to the service station on two counts i.e routine service or accidental repair. The car never lets you down but consider the after sales available in your area.

I20 is also good and loaded with features. This car is due for a facelift but is again a best car.

My suggestion, when you buy a car you tend to keep it for atleast for five years, then buy the best even if you have to increase the budget by a few thousand.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:21   #729
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned 7L as budget, you would have some flexibility. Have you thought of the Polo, Fabia, Punto etc?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:27   #730
BHPian

Thanks srikanthns and mints21, Joybhowmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Any reason for skipping RITZ?
Ritz is a true VFM, no doubts. Few of my colleagues have this. The only reason is the rear seat is sort of cramped up and not comfortable for 3 adults.. this is the reason it does not figure in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Buddy, you can consider an i20 or Nissan Micra.
My suggestion, when you buy a car you tend to keep it for atleast for five years, then buy the best even if you have to increase the budget by a few thousand.
Original budget was around 6.5L, I stretched to 7 and it looks like it will go to 7.2... can't stretch beyond this at the moment. Lack of Vit-M. But nevertheless, i also agree with you.. in terms of all aspects i20 is a great car, only it is way of my current budget.. so giving it a miss..
Micra, yep, great car, but the same reason as why I did not consider swift/ritz.. seating 3 is a pain + abs not avlbl at least when i checked in nov'13.

fabia - did not like for multiple reasons.. Polo & punto, abs version will cost above 8.2 L in blr.. the only other car which is having abs which comes in the near bracket is sail u-va 1.3 LS ABS.. this is sort of wildcard as now

Last edited by haria : 23rd February 2014 at 21:39.
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:43   #731
BHPian

there is some news that all variants of the polo have airbags and most have abs from 2014 onwards.

looking at you distances of 60km per day and more than 100km on the weekend you are better off with a safer car and the money spent is gonna be worth it.

you can consider the figo zxi / titanium or the polo as both have got better ratings tha most small cars in collision tests

even though figo is a bit out dated its a very strong performer (space, practicality, highway manners, high speed stability, safety). i have been using a figo for the past 4 years and 56000 km. no problems whatso ever.

Last edited by differential : 23rd February 2014 at 21:45. Reason: incomplete post
differential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:10   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hello All,

I need some suggestion on finalizing a diesel hatch

Requirements
Diesel (Daily run of 60km; weekend: 100+)
Should seat 5 comfortably
MUST have ABS
Will own for at least 5 years, if not more
Low maintenance
During long drives Should be comfortable for driver as well as the passengers.

Usage
Daily run of about 60km
Weekly additional 100km
80% city ; 20% long drives (once in a month or so)
Self driven
Dear Mate, Just giving you a suggestion; Kindly check out the Chevrolet Beat Diesel also. It is a good car and going by your usage I am sure this will be a good choice. For your benefit I am providing you a link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Thanks

AD

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2014 at 14:35. Reason: Updating link to our official review
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:19   #733
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Did you ever consider the Verito/Vibe?
I know many people reject it because of its boxy looks but i personally have always liked them. We have 2 Logans within our relatives. I have the following observation about the Verito/Vibe-

-Its a no nonsense car. A practical workhorse.

-It is the only car within 7 lakhs which can comfortable seat 3 adults at the rear. ( Read comfortably not just for the sake of being called as a 5 seater)

-The 1.5dci is a proven mill. Even if you find the power out put figures low on paper, On the roads it still feels powerful unlike the sluggish Etios Diesel. There car easily pulls from 1000 RPM there is no turbo lag felt.

-The rear looks of the Vibe make it look like the older generation Ford Focus which is why even my mom liked it.

-The ride quality is too good. The car overall is very comfortable on the highways and on bad roads too. My Grandparents have never complained of the ride quality in the Logan whereas they always find the Ritz and Etios a bit uncomfortable.

If you have a practical mind set look no further than the Verito/Vibe. It is better in terms of reliability than the Vista. Even the Etios Liva is a very good car but the build quality of the Liva has always been a big concern.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:30   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Micra, yep, great car, but the same reason as why I did not consider swift/ritz.. seating 3 is a pain + abs not avlbl at least when i checked in nov'13.

fabia - did not like for multiple reasons.. Polo & punto, abs version will cost above 8.2 L in blr.. the only other car which is having abs which comes in the near bracket is sail u-va 1.3 LS ABS.. this is sort of wildcard as now
I have not driven a vista but have travelled in the rear seat a bit. I believe it has got one if the best rear seat in the segment. Not to speak of the class leading space.

I have never liked the Etios twins.

5 months back I was in a similar situation. My budget was 7 lakhs OTR too and ABS was a must. I chose the Punto MJD Dynamic. Yes it has ABS and costed me 6.97 lakhs on road in Pune.

Swift would ve been my pick if the VDI had ABS.

I found, for that price, the Punto(diesel) Dynamic was a compelling buy with class leading ride and handling and decent features. If only it had airbags too. If it's only your belief that ABS will cost you above 8 lakhs for Punto thats holding you back, I would suggest you to have a look at it. The on road price is not 8 lakhs for ABS

The other car I would suggest is the Ritz.

Edit: If seating 3 at rear is a must (ie the third passenger won't be occasional), then I believe Vista, Verito and probably Liva are the only choices within the budget.

Last edited by vibbs : 23rd February 2014 at 22:38.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:54   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Mate, Just giving you a suggestion; Kindly check out the Chevrolet Beat Diesel also.
AD
Good car, but rear is cramped and seating 2 stout adults itself is a mite difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Did you ever consider the Verito/Vibe?
Verito/Vibe-....

-Its a no nonsense car. A practical workhorse.

Asit
believe me, this was the first i checked out.. Yeah, very good car. the problem is the dismal boot. Was a struggle to load a big sized suitcase in the boot and unlike normal hatches, boot space can't be extended by folding the seat. This is a problem, since at least 3-4 times in a month there will be need to carry some luggage and i end up folding the rear seats..and a car which can't double up for that purpose will be a big limitation. I should have mentioned in my requirements.. In fact this is one of the reason, i'm giving the compact sedans a miss.. this is also one huge plus for vista vx - it gives a 60:40 split rear seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
If it's only your belief that ABS will cost you above 8 lakhs for Punto thats holding you back, I would suggest you to have a look at it. The on road price is not 8 lakhs for ABS
the last i checked, Punto 1.3 dynamic was quoting 7.94 OTR in blr
Closed Thread

Most Viewed