Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:55   #736
BHPian

Re: Which hatch ? Budget: 7L : Diesel ; Cars: Vista Vx vs Liva GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Mate, Just giving you a suggestion; Kindly check out the Chevrolet Beat Diesel also. It is a good car and going by your usage I am sure this will be a good choice. For your benefit I am providing you a link

http://www.zigwheels.com/Bengaluru/n...Beat/Diesel-LS

Thanks

AD
AD, how many of these do you see on roads, the car that you have mentioned hardly sells. It has proved to be a dud.

Still, if I am to advise a member, I would recommend him our link which is much more reliable,authentic and first hand.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:30   #737
BHPian

First there are very few cars which are real 5 people carrier ie. which can carry 3 people in the rear with comfort.

I dont feel any maruti car in your budget is a real 5 people carrier so thats ruled out.
Hyundai -i20 diesel is costly and I still would not say its a real 3 seater at rear.

Space wise I feel Logan and Vista rule the roost. Vista has one of the most comfortable seats in its segment, which includes not only the shoulder space but also the recline angle and back and thigh support which the rear seat gives.

The new Vista has a lot of improvements and dont age that bad as how the conception about it is. You can also get a fully loaded Vista with the safety features you desire.

I have a 5 year old Vista which has been absolutely trouble free till now. The car is still going strong. The new Vista is all improved with better plastics and interiors than my car and lot of niggles sorted out if any were there. The parts are easily available and cheap.

Tata service centres have improved by leaps and bounds. Personally I never felt any problem with any of the service centres.

Logan feels outdated and I am not sure about the dealerships and part availability.
Etios feels like a car with lots of cost cutting done.

Vista has better rear seat space and comfort than Etios.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:54   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Space wise I feel Logan and Vista rule the roost. Vista has one of the most comfortable seats in its segment, which includes not only the shoulder space but also the recline angle and back and thigh support which the rear seat gives.

Vista has better rear seat space and comfort than Etios.
+1, which is the reason in the last list there are only 3 cars - vista vx, vista tech vx and Liva GD

keeping aside Liva GD for the time being, which among vista would be a better choice ?
2014 vista vx
OR the
2014 vista tech vx ?

the difference according to websites is
a) suspension has been tuned
b) Clutch assembly made more responsive
c) and some other minor tweaks and niggles fixed
d) driver aligned speedo console
e) nav system and touch screen player

Items which are dropped in the new vista tech (which is present in ealier vx) is
60:40 split option of rear seat removed
driver seat hieght adjustment not possible
no lumbar support
no charging points in the rear
no electric orvm (manual)
cost : rs 25k more

Of the advantages, points (d) and (e) are not deal breakers for me.. i don't mind even if it is not there.

if the changes in (a) , (b) and (c)are really substantial and a lot of niggles which is present in the earlier vx, then i need to seriously consider vista tech over vx.. any suggestions / ideas ?

there are very few reviews available about the new vista tech vx in the internet, which makes it a bit of a dark-horse

once i knock out one of them, then there will be only one vista (either tech vx or older vx) vs liva gd, which will make it easier to take a decision on.
Old 24th February 2014, 00:01   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
once i knock out one of them, then there will be only one vista (either tech vx or older vx) vs liva gd, which will make it easier to take a decision on.
I would go for the latest Vista Tech model anyday. Its always better to opt for a new model, keeping in mind the internal changes that they would have done and also to assure a good flow of spares that fit your car in the coming years.

For me electric folding orvms and 60:40 split rear is also not a deal breaker.Infact I would like to have a proper dashboard structure and touchscreen navigation can be handy and sometimes life saving when you travel outside city.

Regards,
Amit
Old 24th February 2014, 00:10   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
...Its always better to opt for a new model, keeping in mind the internal changes .....
Amit
Agree, but the cost is also Rs.25k and the 60:40 & driver seat height adjustment is a useful feature.. when I checked with the showroom, they were telling that the changes are minor and one can go for the older vx... to me, it feels that they don't have the proper info! how can I a get a valid and informed opinion on whether the changes in vx tech are relevant ? who can help ? any suggestions ? also, i find it a bit strange that after the launch on jan 21, not even one review or feedback has come about it.. a bit troubling this point. also in some ads, it is being shown as a limited edition - does this mean that once falcon series comes out later in the year, this vista tech will be dropped ? confusing and not sure which decision to go for
Old 24th February 2014, 00:20   #741
BHPian

IMHO the car which suits your requirement is Figo Diesel.

Apart from being a great car in terms of space, handling, it gives a decent mileage of 14-15 in city with A.C. It can seat 5 people comfortably. Also its got has a VERY WELL PROPORTIONED boot. I'm emphasizing on the boot coz I regularly travel with a load full of luggage whilst on the highways. It swallows 2 full size suitcases along with 3-4 airbags and some tit bits as well.

I've read somewhere that the Zxi version is now equipped with ABS, not sure though. Please check. Now with the cut in excise duty, it should fall in your budget too.

My pick would definitely be the Figo
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 03:17   #742
BHPian

Between the vista and the liva, vista is the more comfortable option while Liva is a better drivers car. Liva would age better than Vista based on my experiences with older Tata and Toyota vehicles.
Service of both may be comparable, but i just feel that Toyota may be cheaper as nothing fails in a Toyota. Cant say this for sure but my older Indica seems to have many parts changed that i feel should never have failed in the first place.
Looks wise Liva seems better to me but that's just me.
Overall i suggest to have a TD of both cars and then decide.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 03:31   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I need some suggestion on finalizing a diesel hatch

Requirements
Diesel (Daily run of 60km; weekend: 100+)
Should seat 5 comfortably
MUST have ABS
Will own for at least 5 years, if not more
Low maintenance
During long drives Should be comfortable for driver as well as the passengers.

Usage
Daily run of about 60km
Weekly additional 100km
80% city ; 20% long drives (once in a month or so)
Self driven

Which car would you recommend ? any other points i need to consider ?
any other cars I missed ?
Should I go for Liva GD with 50k extra ? i've TD vista and the old Liva . heard that the new Liva D is much more refined and NVH is better.
Vista Vx is a breeze to drive, only worry is long term ownership niggles

your expert opinion would greatly help me finalize.. Thanks!

As you have shortlisted these two cars i wont recommend you any other car.Between these two cars I will suggest you the Liva.

Reasons-

1) The cheapest car to maintain. Maintaining a Liva is as cheap as Maintaining an Alto.

2) As you intend to keep the car for 5 years no one can deny long term reliability of Toyota is any better than Tata.

3) The Liva will give you better mileage than Vista.

4) In my personal opinion driving a Liva is easier than the Vista because of the front view from the driving seat. Its much better with more or less no blind spots. I had to be extra cautious with the left side while driving a Vista.

5)Liva is comfortable in long drives. Rear seat can comfortably accommodate 3 persons. So is the Vista.

6) Toyota after sell service is better than Tata.

7) Tata Bolt pictures are already out, so with the launch of the Bolt the Vista's future can be in danger. If a product is stopped the resale value will drop down drastically.

Now few points in favor of the Vista-

1) The 1.3 liter multijet engine is any day more fun to drive than the boring old D4D Toyota engine. Though the D4D has proved to have bullet proof reliability.

2) I had been in the rear seat of both Liva and Vista and i would say Vista is more comfortable. It feels like a sedan. Driving comfort is more in Liva and rear seat comfort is more in Vista. But if you consider more fun to drive then its the Vista too.

3) Interiors of the Vista is better than the boring Liva interior.

4) Tata has come up a long way in improving there reliability. Still Toyota is the leader in this aspect.

5) In case of an accident the Vista feels to be more stronger than the Liva.

So among the two i will say test drive both the vehicles extensively being on the drivers seat and rear seat both and then decide.

I can assure you that atleast you cant go wrong with the Liva. Its a 100% practical no-nonsense car. With time you will love this car. Its not a car to be loved in the first sight. I drive a Etios for 2.5 years so i can vouch on this aspect. With time i really started loving it. For the long term reliability of the Vista/Liva i guess you can search here for the long term/initial ownership threads and then decide. All the best for your new purchase.

Last edited by Samba : 24th February 2014 at 03:39.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 08:22   #744
Senior - BHPian

A couple of cons for the models chosen
1) Both are noisy and the noise ingress is really felt inside the cabin.
2) The low end torque isnt good in both as compared to their peers.
3) Liva was made keeping the budget in mind and doesnt strongly come as Toyota offering which is known for the build quality.

Choosing the lesser of the two devils, I would suggest the Liva solely because of slighly higher resale value than Vista thanks to Toyota stamp.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 08:49   #745
BHPian

As you have shortlisted your cars, would suggest that you go for the Liva, if you can stretch that 30K in your budget.
I am with Liva GD since september 2012, done about 25K in these one and half years. My running is a bit less than what you'll be doing.
Be forewarned: Liva is a very boring car, nothing ever happens to it. It's not a fun to drive car, rather it's suited for sedate drivers. But in city conditions you can actually use the 2nd and 3rd gears almost as automatic.
Advantages: The Toyota after sales is superb and dirt cheap. What @Samba says is correct, maintaining a Liva is like maintaining an Alto. Might be even cheaper. Check Amalji's thread to see the maintenance cost advantage of Etios/Liva cars. The engine will last you at least till 3,00,000 km.
Disadvantages: A centrally mounted console, which is not liked by many. Certainly less boot space than Ford Figo.

P.S.In the new model of Liva, the interior finish and the NVH problem have been taken care of, so nothing to worry on that front.
subratasenn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 08:57   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
...... I drive a Etios for 2.5 years so i can vouch on this aspect. With time i really started loving it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I am with Liva GD since september 2012, done about 25K in these one and half years.

I'm curious about one point.. the AC vents of liva / etios seems a bit weird.. there are 3 vents on the LH side.. how is the cooling, a/c flow for a passenger sitting on the LH rear ? (ie, behind the front passenger seat).. won't the front LH seat obstruct the flow of the air ? won't the front passenger be chilled to the bone, while the LH rear seater might get some air flow ? at least this is my impression.. can you tell me the actual experience since you are owning an etios/liva for last couple of years ? thanks.

Last edited by haria : 24th February 2014 at 09:02.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:35   #747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,

I need some suggestion on finalizing a diesel hatch
Please check my ownership review of the Sail UVA.

If you want passenger space and a well sorted out suspension. The Sail UVA is a very good package.

There are a couple Diesel ownership threads on the forum as well.

Its a market dud. No doubt about that at all. But I am very happy that I went with what I wanted rather than the popular market sentiment.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:51   #748
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

I think that Vista rear seats are the widest and best in this class. Recently I did a holiday in Rajasthan in an Etios Taxi. Its rear seat is good, but I would rate it comfortable for only two persons, Vista is much better.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:10   #749
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Why not wait a little and opt for Tata Vista replacement the all-new Tata Bolt or even you may consider Tata Zest sub-4m sedan if budget permits. Both are way better than Tata Vista and Toyota Liva.
Old 24th February 2014, 17:04   #750
BHPian

Any idea about vista tech? Any reviews about this? Is the changes made in this worth the extra price?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed