Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 14:57   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Yes the additional space does help. It's like the old adage of "have something and not use it, rather than need something and not have it." We are a family of 5 and it's not possible to drive our sedans into tight spots, specially inside the city. At least when we have to do family visits to such places, the spacious hatch will come in handy.

I think auto-folding ORVMs are absent in the i20. They are electrically foldable (push of button on driver door panel).
Go and book the i20. Its a great car and a very well rounded hatch. The new model would obviously carry a increase in the price tag and no discounts.

What do you mean by auto folding mirrors? I meant electrically foldable ORVMs. The i20 comes with it right?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:07   #872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If Jazz was available now, I would have picked it up eyes closed. It's due by early-2015, and that's pretty late for me.

Punto's coming next month. And my city doesn't have a Fiat dealership, nor an A.S.S. center.
Well, then the i20 looks like the best bet in the segment. I suggest to go with the Asta variant due to the added safety bits.

I suggested Punto because you have been predominantly on East Asian cars, and the facelift looks pretty smart. But yes, a big risk if you don't have an ASC in your city
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:20   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Go and book the i20. Its a great car and a very well rounded hatch. The new model would obviously carry a increase in the price tag and no discounts.

What do you mean by auto folding mirrors? I meant electrically foldable ORVMs. The i20 comes with it right?
I am guessing the driveability factor of the all-new i20 would be improved, and added features of the Grand would be carried over to it. Other than that, there isn't much they can add to the existing i20's already bulging-feature list.

Auto-folding mirrors as in the Grand - when you lock/unlock the car using the keyfob, the ORVMs open/close automatically.
Electrically-foldable mirrors in the i20 - can be done by pressing the button given on the door panel. Locking/unlocking the car doesn't open/close the ORVMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, then the i20 looks like the best bet in the segment. I suggest to go with the Asta variant due to the added safety bits.

I suggested Punto because you have been predominantly on East Asian cars, and the facelift looks pretty smart. But yes, a big risk if you don't have an ASC in your city
Yep. Just received the quotation of the same over email from the dealer.

I have been following the new launches pretty keenly as well. Always lusted after the Punto. Even the facelifted Polo in it's diesel avatar appeals immensely now, now that it's got a proper 4-cylinder 1.5L oilburner under it's hood. But the same problem as Fiat - no Volkswagen dealer/A.S.S. in my city. Nearest dealerships are 300 kms away, and indeed a big risk, specially if the car develops niggles/problems.

UPDATE: Just received a call from the Hyundai dealer that colour choices for the current-gen i20 is limited to White & Silver only (as per the stockyard at Hyundai's Chennai factory). All other stocks have been exhausted. Even for the Sportz variant, only those two colors remain + a single Grey car.

Production was stopped in the first week of July, and production of the all-new i20 will commence from the first week of August onwards.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th July 2014 at 19:46.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 06:37   #874
BHPian

Friends, help me make this decision.

I drive a Santro Xing Petrol in the city, to my workplace which is some 6km away. And my Wife drives a Figo Diesel to her college which is around 10km away.

Now I will be switching jobs which requires me to drive at least 50km (to and fro) daily. So i guess it makes sense for me to take my wife's Diesel Figo, sell off my battered Santro, and get her a new Petrol Hatchback.

The options i have in mind are Grand i10 Top End Petrol Vs New Fiat Punto Petrol. I have not test driven the new Punto (Not sure if its available for TD, here in Chennai Yet)

My only requirements are that it must have all the Safety features and easy to drive within the city. Both these cars tick all safety features i guess, so is Punto easy to drive within city? I've read about this gear shift ratio set by the Fiat, making multiple gearshifts a necessity, while driving in the city?
Old 20th July 2014, 11:02   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
The options i have in mind are Grand i10 Top End Petrol Vs New Fiat Punto Petrol. I have not test driven the new Punto (Not sure if its available for TD, here in Chennai Yet)
Petrol Punto is simply not an easy car to live with especially in the city. I really wished they had given the T-Jet motor since the car just seems to heavy for the normally aspirated FIRE unit.
Old 20th July 2014, 13:03   #876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
My only requirements are that it must have all the Safety features and easy to drive within the city. Both these cars tick all safety features i guess, so is Punto easy to drive within city? I've read about this gear shift ratio set by the Fiat, making multiple gearshifts a necessity, while driving in the city?
From a city driving point of view, the top end Grand i10 is the perfect choice. Easy to drive and also loaded with all what you need. That I think should be the first choice.
Old 20th July 2014, 14:17   #877
Senior - BHPian

Do also give some thought to the Nissan Micra. It really is the best hatchback for the city IMO. Comes with several features, looks unique (tough thing to come by these days) and comes with a CVT version.

Perhaps this is just my old fashioned "anything but a Hyundai" motto, but I have to admit, they have come up with a few commendable products of late; the Grandi10, included. Do check out both cars though.
Old 20th July 2014, 14:51   #878
BHPian

Thanks people. Will go for the Grand i10.

And IshaanIan, tell me about that "Anything but Hyundai". I always say it, but end up getting a Hyundai. Santro > Getz > Verna & Santro Again > And now most probably a i10. Don't know how it happens.

Not very sure about Nissan's service reliability and no service centers near my area, so gonna skip that.

Last edited by Raghav_K : 20th July 2014 at 14:53.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:03   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep. Just received the quotation of the same over email from the dealer.
A twist in the tale, after extensive discussions at home and Test Drives + negotiations over the weekend.

Details in my ownership report, due out soon.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:48   #880
BHPian

Honda Brio Or VW Polo 1.5 TDI

I know I am comparing apple and orange but hear me out. We own a Palio MJD and a Tata Nano which IMHO is the best VFM garage for specific city highway use.

Fiat Palio Stile 1.3 MJD - Our highway machine

Strengths:

Great Engine: Lets me cruise at 110 all day long and has enough punch for decent overtaking maneuvers

Great Mileage: 20 + and Diesel - I am happy

Excellent Handling: Rock steady at expressway speeds. Most of the time I feel the car is driving itself requiring very little inputs from me. its fun in the twisties as well.

Good Ride: It really flattens out bad roads. I treat it as a SUV with less GC

Weakness:

Turning Circle: Why does a car so small have turning radius of a truck . This is the primary reason I don't wanna drive it in the city.

Turbo lag and relatively heavy clutch. Not chuck-able in the city

Slightly heavy steering

Tata Nano: -Our city runabout.

Strengths:

Extremely Nimble: Turning radius of 4 meter. I can park it where no other car can be parked

Narrow and short: its actually a strength in the city.

Light clutch and good gear box

Peppy engine with good throttle response upto 60 km/hr

Weakness:

Highway use not an option

Lack of street cred. - It irritates me when every one two wheeler included feel its okay to cut you off

Heavy steering at parking speed

Now here is my dielma. Palio is 6 years old and has run around 1.3L km. My dad has kept it in top shape by spending big bucks ( replaced half engine, turbo, timing belt , clutch kit, suspension etc.,) Its good for another 1L kms atleast. My Nano is doing fine 15,000 kms in 2.5 years and I absolutely love it.

My problem is I don't have a car for highway use when my dad is touring with the Palio. Also I kind of like to experience a revvy petrol on the highway. At the same time both our cars lack safety equipment (ABS Airbags).

Now the Choise; 80% city 20% Highway

Used 2013 Brio S MT 8000 km Rs: 4,10,000 Honda auto terrace -Sweet Deal I know

Good replacement for nano. Revvy petrol for occasional highway use. but no ABS or Airbags

New Polo 1.5 TDi Rs : 8,00,000

Safe and soild highway machine

Bad replacement for Nano- Same large turning radius, Pricey, Not a revvy pertol essentially Palio 2.0

Fish me out guys
Old 21st July 2014, 20:04   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Or VW Polo 1.5 TDI

The Polo 1.5TDI will not disappoint you. If you still are not satisfied await the GT which is speculated to launch soon.
Old 21st July 2014, 20:35   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
I know I am comparing apple and orange but hear me out. We own a Palio MJD and a Tata Nano which IMHO is the best VFM garage for specific city highway use.

Used 2013 Brio S MT 8000 km Rs: 4,10,000 Honda auto terrace -Sweet Deal I know

Good replacement for nano. Revvy petrol for occasional highway use. but no ABS or Airbags

New Polo 1.5 TDi Rs : 8,00,000

Safe and soild highway machine

Bad replacement for Nano- Same large turning radius, Pricey, Not a revvy pertol essentially Palio 2.0

Fish me out guys
If you look to replace the Nano go for the Brio. If you are looking to replace the Palio go for the Polo.

As you go to the highways in your Palio and your Palio do not have ABS and airbags you can consider the Polo with all the safety features.

Last edited by Samba : 21st July 2014 at 20:37.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 20:54   #883
BHPian

Same opinion here. If you are looking to replace the nano, go for the brio. It's nimble, fast, cheap to run and is the logical upgrade. Polo is in a different league altogether.

But at the end of the day choose what your heart says. No use in regretting after the decision's been made.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 22:00   #884
D4D
BHPian

If you want to replace the Nano, go for the brio. No two ways about it. Small and powerful, Brio is your best bet.
Old 21st July 2014, 22:17   #885
BHPian

Incase you plan to change the Palio wait till September and you can test drive the GT version which apparently will be launched with a DSG gearbox. However for the Nano replacement, please go with the Brio. That way you can have best of both worlds.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks