Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 23:08   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Thank you for the quick response.

Grand definitely has a premium feel about it. Plus its 20k cheaper than swift. But I think the acc, steering feel more than makes up for it. Plus the fixed head rest is a downer. And how about reports of ever increasing prices of hyundai after sales?

Swift is also my current pick. I guess I can live the cramped space and rattle issues. But how are the brakes on the zxi varient compared to say grand i10 etc? When is the facelift going to be launched and whether there will be price hike? Or is it advisable to go for the current one if the discount is good? Any offers on the current model that you know of.

Even though my usage does not warrant the need for a boot, the zest is very hard to ignore at that price point. Unfortunately no TD are being given. And as you said, after sales is question. Goa has only one service centre. Still I will keep an eye on this.

No TD of Zest in Goa? Incredible considering the car was officially launched there!

Don't forget that Zest price includes 3 yrs maintenance, warranty & 24x7 RSA across India.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 11th September 2014, 23:22   #1007
BHPian

Re: Brio VX MT vs Swift Zxi vs Ritz Zxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

2. Brio VX MT

Absolutely no discounts.

The OTR comes to Rs 6.23 lacs (excluding B2B insurance). Does this price sound reasonable?

The way in which the Honda guys were speaking, it was as though I was doing them a favour by buying a car.

I am not sure how Honda's ASS will be. Suzuki folks were lot more customer friendly.

IMHO certainly Brio was lot more fun to drive, than the Swift and I think it will be more comfortable in B2B traffic. Final decision will be taken by wife. Certainly it's not an easy decision between the Brio and the Swift.
Brio VX MT roughly comes to 6.27 lacs on-road. This includes extended warranty & B2B insurance. The dealer has said he can provide floor mats, reverse parking sensor and sun-films as freebies. Could I negotiate further? Mostly the choice is now in favour of Brio. My wife will take one final TD of Swift tomorrow, she says that Brio is lot more comfortable from a driving point of view.
Old 12th September 2014, 01:57   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Brio VX MT roughly comes to 6.27 lacs on-road. This includes extended warranty & B2B insurance. The dealer has said he can provide floor mats, reverse parking sensor and sun-films as freebies. Could I negotiate further? Mostly the choice is now in favour of Brio. My wife will take one final TD of Swift tomorrow, she says that Brio is lot more comfortable from a driving point of view.
Yes, you can negotiate further. Ask for discounts in the insurance or probably a free underbody treatment. Remember customer is always king. Happy motoring.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 09:15   #1009
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion in the 2014 B-segment hatchback thread. Thanks!

Will go for a final td of the cars. Will let you know which one I end up buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Keeping these ASC's in Goa as a 'parameter to judge' apart, I think based on what you require, FTD, 40 km usage, 2 people in car, you should not have any complaint with Swift 1.2, since you are picking ZXI there is no reason for you to worry about brakes either, it is good for sporty driving, VXI has awe-full brakes. Grand has a sharper bite, but nothing against Swift ZXI brakes.
I think you may manage some discounts on current cars which will be waived off with the face-lift, I doubt they will increase the price, that segment is very competitive now.
So i guess if I decide on swift, I'll just book the the current car if the discounts are good and request delivery in a month or so. I hope by then changes and features added to facelift are confirmed so that i can change my booking to the facelift if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Hyundai's after sales costs are increasing but then, have reports that swift repairs and service costs are also increasing. I suggested you Grand because 1.) Bigger boot. 2.) Better low end torque and equally good mid + high end in comparison to swift's 1.2k 3.) Premium feel.
Swift has 1.) ACC, 2.) better handling+steering, but I seriously feel people give too much importance to handling, because the speeds+curves combination on Indian roads are not very extreme. Highways rarely have sharp bends, unless you want to drive in ghats or hills.
Thank you for your reply. I will take a final td and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
No TD of Zest in Goa? Incredible considering the car was officially launched there!

Don't forget that Zest price includes 3 yrs maintenance, warranty & 24x7 RSA across India.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Sadly true.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2014 at 14:19. Reason: Linking to the new thread :)
Old 21st October 2014, 14:25   #1010
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Guys, in the market for a new petrol car; we are 5+1kid in the family. Our need is mostly city driving (max 15,000 km/year), including an occasional annual trip (2 max) to nearby Pune, etc. For long out-station trips I tend to use a rented vehicle. ABS+airbags are an absolute must, and if good build quality is available in the budget we have, nothing like it. With this in mind, I am looking at the Ertiga ZXi as an option, though a slight but definite neglect on build quality. However, with the new announcement, cross-shopping for the Liva V is food for thought for the following reasons, although its tin-can build quality is likely to end up being a major no-go. I am fully aware that I am comparing two different segments here, but believe me, all of us end up doing it when looking at specific needs of our families and the vehicles that suit them.
  1. The Liva V comes with ABS+dual airbags at an ex-showroom price of 5.3 lakhs. The Ertiga ZXi is 7.75 lakhs ex-showroom.
  2. The low GC and the slighly lower back bench space for 3 adults are the only thing that go against the Figo petrol Titanium, though it makes up on build quality, ride, and handling. Besides it costs 5.3 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai, similar to the Liva V, and being the fully loaded Titanium has the luxury of more features like the bluetooth than the Liva V. So the Figo Titanium is a definite option to the Liva, with great discounts being offered by Ford presently.
  3. The Polo also comes with dual air bags as standard, although gives the ABS a miss except the top variant. The Liva is definitely more spacious at the back for three people compared to the Polo. Moreover the VW is more expensive on road and to maintain, most certainly if compared to Toyota, and most likely compared to an Ertiga.
  4. Other hatchbacks (Punto, i20, Grand i10, Swift) in the price range of Liva V either miss out on the safety, or on space, both are key requirements. For this and reasons pertaining to the engine given below, they are not considered in this qualitative cost benefit analysis.
  5. With a cost difference between the 5.3 Lakhs for the Liva V and 7.75 lakhs for the Ertiga ZXi, the EMI for an assumed 4 year period goes down from 20.2k to 13.5k, with an interest saving of ~ 60k. This on top of the ~2.55 lakhs saving on road on choosing the Liva or the Figo. This takes the total savings to 4.15 lakhs which includes interest earned on the 2.55 lakhs for 4 years loan period (i.e. opportunity cost).
  6. Both the Ertiga and the Liva would not score on build quality as a Ford or a Fiat or a VW.

Coming to the engines, I believe in the premium hatchback segment there is a genuine dearth of good petrol engines, and given than there is a positive shift towards petrol with fuel subsidies on diesel ending:
  1. The Ertiga scores here with the K14 compared to both the Liva and the Figo, which is obvious given its larger size. But it also scores on engine refinement, low end throttle response and city drivability.
  2. The Liva petrol suffers less of the engine noise filtering inside the cabin compared to its diesel sibling. Its performance though is strictly average.
  3. Likewise the Figo petrol performance is strictly average.
  4. Although other hatchbacks are not being considered here, (and thus slightly off-topic) Fiat Punto 1.4 L petrol is expensive; it costs only ~20k less than the 1.3 l MJD and its fuel efficiency and performance are not exactly inspiring. The i20, just like the Punto, is way to heavy for its petrol. The result is lackluster performance from both. The swift is not exactly heavy given its build quality, and the K12 fares decent. The Polo three pot is not really inspiring. One has to go to the expensive GT TSi to really get an engine, which comes with its own DSG problems though. Another reason not to include them in my list

Summarizing, the question is: does it makes sense to stretch the budget to the Ertiga, given its bigger size and the advantages and disadvantages that come with it in a city like Mumbai, or to close the thoughts and go for smaller Liva/Figo.

I think the Ertiga wins though I may end up spending a sizable amount (~ 4.1 lakhs) on it in total.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

P.S. Mods, trust this is the right thread to discuss this. A quick search suggested this thread as appropriate.
PVPal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 14:58   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
Guys, in the market for a new petrol car
Summarizing, the question is: does it makes sense to stretch the budget to the Ertiga, given its bigger size and the advantages and disadvantages that come with it in a city like Mumbai, or to close the thoughts and go for smaller Liva/Figo.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
Have you considered the Tata Zest (instead of a hatchback)? Or the Honda Mobilio in place of the Ertiga?

I think you need to first and foremost make it clear to yourself whether you want a 5+2 mini-MPV or a spacious hatchback. Both these types of vehicles are very different in nature.
Old 25th October 2014, 14:00   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post

P.S. Mods, trust this is the right thread to discuss this. A quick search suggested this thread as appropriate.
Considering you are already looking at 5+1 seating, I would say go with Ertiga ZXi.

You are not really losing out so much in the long term as you think. Your savings after 4 years is more likely to be around 1.5L and not the 4L you think. Value of the asset after 4 years is something you missed incorporating into your calculation. The savings on the car that you calculated assumes that you'll get the same resale value for both cars which is unlikely. Liva being the cheaper and less successful model is likely to fetch a much lower price than the costlier and more successful Ertiga.

So it is very much likely that a good fraction of that savings calculation would eventually turn out to be incorrect. I agree on interest savings, but the cost difference between the cars is likely to be the similar when it comes to resale values after 4 years. Bigger cars tend to depreciate fast, but unsuccessful model depreciate even faster. So the price difference between a 4 year old Ertiga and a 4 year old Liva could be bigger than the current difference in price you see for brand new cars.

P.S: This should have been posted in the What Car section.

Mods, please move these posts to the What Car section.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 14:13   #1013
BHPian

Thanks. Indeed, you are right that I missed the higher depreciation on the Liva.

Appreciate the input.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed