Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 18:03   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Those are very decent numbers for Jazz.. Brio should return much more!!!
Wouldnt it be great if the Jazz had an option of the national engine a la Punto too?

By the way, I share your opinion about the Brio mileage and had already put it up on that thread. The ARAI claim seems to be a bit conservative though.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:53   #107
BHPian

I will just perform a chance pe dance and put in my requests here

I am looking for a Diesel hatchback. Budget is 7.5 lacs which qualifies me for the top end of all the models.

No Liva because of bad NHV. Engine sound is high and I like to rev my engines pretty much in the mid range. Also, only 1 varient allowed.

Figo: Simply dont like the looks. Low slung-iness of the car impressed me.

Punto: Nope. A.S.S the criteria. Amazing engine though.

Polo: 3 pot makes me feel its noisy (Probably just in my head). A.S.S a question mark. No dealers in Navi Mumbai (?)

Ritz: Prefer the Swift to this.

My shortlists are

1. The New Swift ZDi simply because of the swifts' reputation. TD'ed it today, liked the handing and the ride quality (considering that I am graduating from an A-star and an accent). Turbo lag is manageable for city driving as the car performed pretty well before the "kick" at 2000 rpm. Managed the potholes really well. Quite a bit of space and looks big enough to hold 3 in the rear seat. Stereo was decent.

2. i20 CRDi Asta. The features are the major plus point. Comfortable and spacious ride. Zero feedback on the steering and the other usual positives and negatives that you have all read about.

Now, my preference would have been the i20 considering all the features that it offers. However, I keep reading that the 2012 i20 will be launched sometime next year which might make me feel disappointed as I will then have the older model. Secondly. my other car (Dads which I will end up driving quite a bit) is the Fluidic Verna VTVT SX(O). Now, i feel the Verna and the i20 might end up giving me a similar driving experience which makes me lean towards the Swift ZDi.

Just wanted your opinions if the 2012 i20 is indeed due in a year and if going ahead and booking the Swift is the correct decision. Waiting period is not an issue. I just dont want to regret buying a car which I will have for 5 years and want to change it in 3 years time.

thanks for your input i advance guys

Regards
Shome

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th September 2011 at 20:34. Reason: Removed short form, refer GTO's mass PM. Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 19:52   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
2. i20 CRDi Asta. The features are the major plus point. Comfortable and spacious ride. Zero feedback on the steering and the other usual positives and negatives that you have all read about.

Now, my preference would have been the i20 considering all the features that it offers. However, I keep reading that the 2012 i20 will be launched sometime next year which might make me feel disappointed as I will then have the older model. Secondly. my other car (Dads which I will end up driving quite a bit) is the Fluidic Verna VTVT SX(O). Now, i feel the Verna and the i20 might end up giving me a similar driving experience which makes me lean towards the Swift ZDi.

Just wanted your opinions if the 2012 i20 is indeed due in a year and if going ahead and booking the Swift is the correct decision. Waiting period is not an issue. I just dont want to regret buying a car which I will have for 5 years and want to change it in 3 years time.
The Hyundai i20 gives you incredible bang for buck. If you love the features it offers, and the big-car feel, along with the little things about the car, then the i20 is the car for you. If you value engineering, technology and refinement over features and equipment, then walk away from Hyundai.

Dynamically, the i20 is not up to the mark, and I suppose it's the same story with the new Verna as well. How is the Verna to drive, by the way? I've driven the i20 and it's a pretty neutral car. It feels a bit twitchy and unsettled at speeds though. Doesn't really inspire confidence.

I'm sure the new i20 wouldn't be too different, dynamically, from the old one. The major difference between the old i20 and the 2012 i20 would be a face-lifted front and rear. The interiors might come with new upholstery, new plastic, and a few other touches.

I suggest you wait for the new Polo or Fabia, both of which should come with new base-model engines, shortly. The 3-pot mills will be upgraded to more refined 4-pot units. The Punto is worth a look too. The 75 bhp Emotion + should do, since the 90+ doesn't really feel that much different when compared to the 'lesser' on paper 75 bhp-Punto. The new Swift diesel, in this scenario, would be your best option, IMO.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:05   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I suggest you wait for the new Polo or Fabia, both of which should come with new base-model engines, shortly. The 3-pot mills will be upgraded to more refined 4-pot units.
Hey Suhas, thank you for your feedback. I am sticking to the ZDi for now. Making the initial booking amount which is about 50k. Waiting period has been quoted as 7-8 months

By then, I hope a few other diesel models will be out. Are you sure about the new models for the Polo or Fabia coming up? Havent read about it yet. I will only lose on Rs 2000 booking amount if I cancel the booking at a later stage, a loss I will be willing to accept should a better car be on the offering at a later stage. Maybe the new i20 then.

The fluidic verna is yet to be delivered. Its scheduled to arrive this month. Will post an ownership review soon.

I will be selling my A-star and will use my dads accent till my beast is delivered next year.
Old 21st September 2011, 20:53   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I suggest you wait for the new Polo or Fabia, both of which should come with new base-model engines, shortly. The 3-pot mills will be upgraded to more refined 4-pot units. The Punto is worth a look too. The 75 bhp Emotion + should do, since the 90+ doesn't really feel that much different when compared to the 'lesser' on paper 75 bhp-Punto. The new Swift diesel, in this scenario, would be your best option, IMO.
@suhaas307 is the news of Polo and Fabia engine upgrade confirmed. Is this for diesel or petrol or both. Have booked a Fabia 1.2 petrol and thus the question.

~maniac
Old 21st September 2011, 21:16   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Suhas, thank you for your feedback. I am sticking to the ZDi for now. Making the initial booking amount which is about 50k. Waiting period has been quoted as 7-8 months

By then, I hope a few other diesel models will be out. Are you sure about the new models for the Polo or Fabia coming up? Havent read about it yet. I will only lose on Rs 2000 booking amount if I cancel the booking at a later stage, a loss I will be willing to accept should a better car be on the offering at a later stage. Maybe the new i20 then.

The fluidic verna is yet to be delivered. Its scheduled to arrive this month. Will post an ownership review soon.

I will be selling my A-star and will use my dads accent till my beast is delivered next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
@suhaas307 is the news of Polo and Fabia engine upgrade confirmed. Is this for diesel or petrol or both. Have booked a Fabia 1.2 petrol and thus the question.

~maniac
I'm not completely sure about the new engines in the Fabia/Polo. I've read on Team-BHP, somewhere, that the new engines are considered for the Polo and the Fabia, wherein the 3-pot mills will be replaced with a more refined set of 4-pot petrol and diesel units. This could be speculation. I tried a quick search of that thread but couldn't find it. When I do find it, I'll be sure to post it here.

At the moment, I'm not sure if you should cancel your booking, since the news is pure speculation. It is a high possibility though. The 3-pot units in both the German cars struggle to lug all that weight around. The 3-pot units may be marginally more efficient, but the refinement you get in a 4-cylinder engine is so much better.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a Diesel hatchback. Budget is 7.5 lacs which qualifies me for the top end of all the models.
The Swift ZDi is the logical choice for your requirements. The i20 does not make sense and in terms of resale value does not hold a candle to the Swift (apart from the steering issues and other negatives)

Have you considered the Diesel Beat/ Micra too? Quirky designs, but totally subjective.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:26   #113
BHPian

New Swift ZXi or Polo 1.6

Ok, i have received confirmation from maruti dealer that my Zxi has been shipped and it would be with me in 7 days.

Swift ZXi is landing 6.25 OTR pune. I just happened to visit VW showroom today and enquired about Polo which after discounts and everything is costing around 6.70 OTR pune. That price has gotten me confused now!

My POV for each of these cars:
Swift
Pros
1. Sufficiently fast hatch with great engine, gearbox and handling
2. It isnt too expensive either and cost of running quite less too
3. All the features i wanted - abs, airbags, steering controls for audio, six speakers and ACC
4. Probably better fuel efficiency than Polo - 13 kmpl in city vs 11 for polo.

Cons
1. Sufficiently fast but isnt really worth bragging at the pub crawls, not so much for the enthusiast
2. Almost everyone has one
3. Isnt as sprighty as older 1.2 as per GTOs review

Now the Polo 1.6
Pros
1. 1.6 liters, 105 PS need i say more?
2. Boot and rear space better than Swift - comes with a split seat too
3. Looks absolutely good and built is absolutely fantastic - no cheap stuff anywhere

Cons
1. No ACC, no steering mounted controls, tho VW offered a double din system with USB and Bluetooth for additional 20k (still within 6.70lacs)
2. Doesnt even have vanity mirrors (what were they smoking!) wifey didnt approve!!!
3. Heavy on pocket - service(?) and fuel costs
4. Not sure about the ICE on polo (hows it for a factory system?)

Now for the enthusiast in me (i think this would be the last hot hatch that i can buy - it would just be diesels and fuel efficient stuff as i move ahead in life) can anyone tell me if 1.6 really is the hot hatch that i can buy right now? Is the ride, handling and overall drive better enough to demand around 45 kays more? Or overall - Swift reigns supreme as a perfect mix of performance, features and economy?
Old 1st October 2011, 20:16   #114
BHPian

Re: New Swift ZXi or Polo 1.6

Polo 1.6! It's without a doubt the hottest hatch in the country right now.
For an enthusiast like you, it's the best bet. Of course you'll miss the Automatic Climate Control/Steering mounted audio controls etc etc, but trust me, at the end of the day you'll be one happy camper.

What the Polo misses in features, it more than makes up in build quality, fit & finish & the German "Thud"

Polo ICE is average. Nothing to write home about. 6/10.
Old 1st October 2011, 20:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post

Cons
1. Sufficiently fast but isnt really worth bragging at the pub crawls, not so much for the enthusiast
. If this is your sole contention, Polo 1.6, no questions raised.

On a serious note if F.E be damned, I think you need to shift camp and get the POLO.

If your purchase is short term, the Swift would fetch you more when you sell it. Add to that, peace of mind.
Old 1st October 2011, 20:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I just happened to visit VW showroom today and enquired about Polo which after discounts and everything is costing around 6.70 OTR pune.
Hey sids, I am also looking for a new car and Polo 1.6 is on my list.
However, I have not yet got a quote this good, here in Pune.
Can you please provide more details? A detailed breakup of discounts you got would be great!
Old 1st October 2011, 20:36   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now for the enthusiast in me (i think this would be the last hot hatch that i can buy - it would just be diesels and fuel efficient stuff as i move ahead in life)
You sound like having watched the movie 2012(just kidding)

On a serious note,if you really want to enjoy driving then Polo is for you(it is worth the extra moolah).

But if want to be politically correct without losing out on your personal fun factor,then Swift seems a better bet. It isn't that slow than the Polo and has the second best perfomance after the Polo,handles well too. It also happens to be more fuel efficient. To be precise,Swift appears more practical(though you would appear a regular Joe with the omnipresent Swift as you mentioned).

Go with your head and buy the Swift,go with your heart and buy the Polo

I would suggest that you take a serious and long test drive of both the cars back to back and then take your call whether you need to change your decision or not.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:37   #118
BHPian

As per Autocar India October'11 edition:

Best choice of petrol hatch - Jazz (just compared with last winner new Swift among current hatchback cars)
Best choice of diesel hatch - Figo (more VFM)
Old 4th October 2011, 13:17   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
For an enthusiast like you, it's the best bet. Of course you'll miss the Automatic Climate Control/Steering mounted audio controls etc etc, but trust me, at the end of the day you'll be one happy camper.

What the Polo misses in features, it more than makes up in build quality, fit & finish & the German "Thud"
Thanks SpeedKills - From what I have read across in forums, Polo 1.6 isnt considered in the same league as say a Palio 1.6. Still say its a enthusiast car? And besides that, they have skimped on features like anything - bare bones basic Audio, No ACC, No Steering controls and no vanity mirrors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
On a serious note if F.E be damned, I think you need to shift camp and get the POLO.
Even though I want to, I couldn't say FE be damned in this day and age - how much per kmpl is lost if I go for Polo 1.6 vis a vie - in city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
However, I have not yet got a quote this good, here in Pune.
Can you please provide more details? A detailed breakup of discounts you got would be great!
morphique - I got this discount from BU Bhandari Automotive in Pashan.

Here is the breakup: (Insurance off and Exchange bonus is part of their Rs 40,000 off bouquet)

OTR 705937
Insurance off: 16048
Exchange Bonus: 15000
Corp Discount: 10000
Total Discount: 41048
Final OTR: 664889

Connect me on PM if you want me to go with you - so that both of us can haggle for more discounts - sort of like group buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
You sound like having watched the movie 2012(just kidding)
Really, for the petrolheads - 2012 apocalypse is dawned already in 2011 in the form of shooting petrol prices!

Swift - I already have taken a long TD - Loved the car!. But when I drove the diesel - it surprisingly was more fun! - but I cant wait that long to buy a car - it has to be in a month.

Polo 1.6 - drove just on a adjacent street - and loved it absolutely. That big car feel and the sheer confidence it inspires - that is something. Although I still need a longish drive before I make a commitment. Hope to make a clear choice by this weekend.

BTW, does anyone have quick figures on whats the difference between both cars in the rear space in terms of seating and width?
I already know the boot space is more in the Polo and it also comes with rear split seats - +1 for practicality!
Old 4th October 2011, 21:05   #120
BHPian

Quote:
morphique - I got this discount from BU Bhandari Automotive in Pashan.

Here is the breakup: (Insurance off and Exchange bonus is part of their Rs 40,000 off bouquet)

OTR 705937
Insurance off: 16048
Exchange Bonus: 15000
Corp Discount: 10000
Total Discount: 41048
Final OTR: 664889

Connect me on PM if you want me to go with you - so that both of us can haggle for more discounts - sort of like group buy!
Thanks sids! Is the OTR price for PMC limits? I got a quote of around 718k OTR from BU Bhandari!
It would be great if we could get in touch but I am unable to find a PM link as I am a Newbie!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks