Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion in the 2014 B-segment hatchback thread. Thanks!

So many hatchback choices available in the 4L to 6L (petrol) and 5L to 8L (diesel) brackets today, and which one to go for? This thread can serve as a guide for all present and future prospective buyers who are looking for a sound, well-balanced option to spend their well-earned rupees on.

All prices listed are ex-showroom, Delhi. Prices are subject to change at the discretion of the respective companies.

Most pictures have been taken from Team-BHP's Official Reviews threads (thanks to the respective photographers). Specifications/Feature Lists are courtesy of the respective Official Brochures of the cars listed.

Thanks to GTO, .anshuman, Sidindica, suhaas307, Stratos, Rehaan, Eddy and Vid6639 for their wonderful reviews, opinions and inputs of the cars listed below, and to many fellow Team-BHPians for their superb ownership threads.

And finally, a BIG thanks to mdsaab and all my Pune Chapter friends (selfdrive, ajay.satpute, dot, Guderian, kaustubh.vaze, kpbhatt, shridhar.s.i, nanduchitnis, sajo, antz.bin, 1self, sudarshan, ashishpallod, kevinephrahim, gautamkhadse, paragsachania, ironshark, throttleking, libranof1987, etc.) for helping through this project with their invaluable suggestions and unbiased inputs, without which this thread would not have been possible.

Maruti Suzuki Swift [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-marutiswift01.jpg

(+) Driver's car, peppy and rev-happy engines, DDIS performance, interior space & design, superb mileage, riding comfort and road manners, price vis-a-vis features, Maruti's A.S.S., low maintenance costs.
(-) DDIS pricing, Boot space, braking, rear seat, plastics quality, cabin insulation, waiting periods, looks.

{Prices: (P) LXI-4.48L, VXI-4.94L, ZXI-5.72L.
(D) LDI-5.58L, VDI-6.00L, ZDI-6.83L.}

Specifications & Features list, variant-wise:- (Click to OPEN in a new window)

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-swift.gif

Maruti Suzuki Ritz [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-new_maruti_ritz_2012_spash.jpg

(+) Well-built practical option, tall-boy design, superb VVT/DDIS engines, interior space and headroom, boot space, handling & road dynamics, Maruti's A.S.S., maintenance costs.
(-) Rear styling (love-hate), low speed riding, interior plastics quality, rear door/window styling, cramped for taller drivers, equipment levels.

{Prices: (P) LXI-4.29L, VXI-4.64L(w/ABS-4.88L), ZXI-5.24L, AT-TBA.
(D) LDI-5.35L, VDI-5.68L(w/ABS-5.86L), ZDI-6.27L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-ritz.gif

Hyundai i20 [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-hyundaii2006.jpg

(+) Best-in-class features/equipment list, interior space/quality, riding comfort, engine response and performance, frontal looks, cabin insulation, diesel engine performance and NVH levels, Hyundai's A.S.S.
(-) Lifeless steering, under-performing petrol, high-speed handling, costly diesels, petrol mileage, maintenance costs.

{Prices: (P) Era-4.76L, Magna-5.00L, Magna(O)-5.30L, Sportz-5.86L, Asta-6.32L, Asta(O)-6.77L, AT-7.79L.
(D) Era-6.02L, Magna-6.25L, Magna(O)-6.55L, Sportz-7.12L, Asta-7.57L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-i20.gif

Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-hyundaii1004.jpg

(+) Premium fit and finish, tall-boy design, front seats, rev-happy engine, NVH levels, city commuter, neutral looks, features.
(-) Steering, suspension, ride quality, high-speed handling and highway runs, rear seat and rear visibility, brakes, premium features, no diesel option provided (yet).

{Prices: (only P) Magna-4.4L, Sportz-4.71L, Sportz(O)-5.01L, Asta-5.46L, Sportz AT-5.28L, Asta AT-6.20L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-i10.gif

Honda Jazz [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-1_honda_jazz_exterior.jpg

(+) Best-in-class interior space, Magic Seats, price vis-a-vis features, fit and finish quality, all-round visibility, Honda's bulletproof reliability, road presence, mileage, cabin insulation.
(-) Pricey, Low RPM pickup, Suspension, no AT option, no diesel option, ground clearance, subjective looks, features offered, expensive maintenance.

{Prices: - (only P) Base-6.0L, Select-6.25L, X-6.56L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-jazz.gif

Honda Brio [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-hondabrio03.jpg

(+) Premium fit and finish, peppy 1.2L i-VTEC, performance, interiors quality, urban runabout, "ECO" mode, Honda's bulletproof reliability, Automatic option.
(-) Rear styling, large rear glass, equipment levels, very basic boot, rear seat, headroom, ride quality, highway running.

{Prices: (only P) EMT-4.10L, EXMT-4.26L, SMT-4.44L, S(O)MT-5.04L, VMT-5.29L, S(O)AT-5.74L, VAT-5.99L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-brio.gif

Ford Figo [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-ford_figo_03.jpg

(+) Driver's car, Very spacious interiors, frugal and rev-happy diesel options, diesel performance, road manners and handling, boot space,
(-) Dated bland design, petrol option, petrol performance, rear styling, low-slung, interior styling, features on offer, rear headroom/legroom, Ford's A.S.S., plastics quality.

{Prices: (P) LXI-3.85L, EXI-4.23L, ZXI-4.53L, Titanium-5.02L.
(D) LXI-4.82L, EXI-5.21L, ZXI-5.51L, Titanium-6.0L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-figo.gif

Fiat Grande Punto [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-fiat_grande_punto_exterior_dsc02714_86.jpg

(+) Driver's car, Looks, Best-in-Class riding comfort and handling, features on offer (specially Blue&Me), loaded variants, excellent diesel engines, interior space, suspension build quality, boot.
(-) Sluggish, fuel-guzzling petrols, performance, interior fit and finish, rear bench space, cabin insulation, driving position, long clutch travel, Fiat A.S.S, availability of spares.

{Prices: - (P) Active-4.92L, Dynamic-5.16L, Emotion-6.68L.
(D) Active-5.61L, Dynamic-6.25L, Emotion-6.86L, 90HP-7.23L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-punto.gif

Volkswagen Polo [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-vw_polo_18.jpg

(+) Driver's car, looks and styling, frugal engines, Best-in-class build quality, riding comfort, handling, front seat space, boot, 1-year service intervals.
(-) Rear bench space, features, stance, headroom, 3-cylinder engines, cabin insulation & NVH levels, VW's A.S.S, high maintenance costs.

{Prices: (P) TL-4.91L, CL-5.41L, HL-5.78L.
(D) TL-6.03L, CL-6.54L, HL-6.91L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-polo.gif

Skoda Fabia [Link to sidindica's First Drive report]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-photo1233.jpg

(+) Driver's car, build quality, fit and finish, interior space and riding comfort, road manners and handling, high-speed dynamics, boot space, Skoda Shield.
(-) Pricey, NVH levels, equipment list, outright performance, mileage, cabin insulation, head room, Skoda's A.S.S., maintenance costs (if not opted for Skoda Shield).

{Prices: - (P) Ambition+-5.38L, Elegance-6.23L, Elegance1.6-6.53L, Scout-6.83L.
(D) Ambition+-6.58L, Elegance-7.44L, Scout-8.14L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-fabia.gif

Nissan Micra [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-nissan_micra_09.jpg

(+) Premium fit and finish, cute frontal looks, interior quality, interior space, diesel's outright performance, ride quality and road manners, handling, features on offer, safety features across range, maintenance.
(-) Side & rear styling, interior styling (love-hate), low-slung, ground clearance, 3-cylinder petrols, rear head restraints, ABS, Nissan's A.S.S..

{Prices: (P) XE-4.22L, XE+-4.49L, XL-4.85L, XV-5.52L.
(D) XV-5.97L, XV Premium-6.42L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-micra.gif

Renault Pulse [Link to sidindica's short First Drive Report]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-pulse.jpg

(+) Similar to the Micra, masculine frontal looks, diesel performance and rev-happy frugal engines, interior plastics quality, fit and finish, spacious, city commuter, long warranty period.
(-) Similar to the Micra, pricey, no ABS, interior space and comfort, vague steering and high-speed confidence, braking, Renault's A.S.S.

{Prices: (P) RxE-4.27L, RxL-5.06L, RxZ-5.65L.
(D) RxL-6.07L, RxL(O)-6.20L, RxZ-6.61L, RxZ(O)-6.74L.}

Petrol variants
The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-pulse1.gif

Diesel variants
The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-pulse.gif

Toyota Etios Liva [Link to Official Team-BHP Review (Petrol), Link to Official Team-BHP Review (Diesel)]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-toyotaliva03.jpg

(+) Spacious interiors, headroom/legroom, good city commuter, diesel performance, riding comfort & road manners, safety features in middle variants, Toyota's reliability, long-term maintenance.
(-) Plain-jane looks (front & rear), pick-up at low RPMs, build and plastics quality, interior styling, central console/dash, equipment list, engine noise, NVH levels, only one (mid) diesel variant.

{Prices: (P) J-4.45L, G-4.76L, G(SP)-5.24L, Sportivo-5.28L, V-5.70L, VX-6.21L.
(D) GD-5.86L, GD(SP)-6.18L, Sportivo-6.39L)

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-liva1.gif

Chevrolet Sail U-VA [Link to Official Team-BHP Review]

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-chevysailuva15.jpg

(+) Spaciousness, rear seating, ride quality and handling, city commuting, diesel performance, NVH levels, headroom/legroom, frontal looks, features vis-a-vis pricing, safety features.
(-) Premium features on offer, rear styling, interior plastics quality, interior styling, rear visibility, steering feedback, placement of power-window switches, cost-cutting evident in some finishes.

{Prices: (P) 1.2-4.44L, LS-4.84L, LS(ABS)-5.19L, LT-5.58L.
(D) LS-5.88L, LS(ABS)-6.20L, LT-6.62L.}

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-uva.gif

And, in closing, let's take a look at the comparison table (technical specifications-wise) of all the B2-Segment hatches listed above :-

The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!-specstable.gif

Thanks for reading and analysing. If this thread helps even one of you to zero in on your final choice of your dream car, it would have served it's purpose.

Comments and feedback are most welcome!

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2014 at 14:19. Reason: Linking to new thread :)
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:39   #2
BHPian

re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

How could you miss the figo? :(
vivek_vt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:40   #3
BHPian

I honestly think Indica Vista / Indica Vista 90BHP competes right with Suzuki Swift and Hyundai i10 at the very least and for that reason should be here in list.
akhilesh51 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:41   #4
BHPian

Nice thread I must say.

But any particular reason for excluding the Ford Figo? Since you have taken Toyota Liva and Hyundai i10 into account, then why not the Figo?
manjot1912 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:46   #5
BHPian

Hi, a really nice thread. Would encourage if you could elaborate on the "PREMIUM" tag line. (e.g.) Cars with Features like curatin / side air bags, steering mounted controls, Auto Climate Control, A/T, Unique / Innovative Features, etc. may be put as premium. Since price band alone will not be good to put the tags. Then cars like the Vista, Beat, A Star, etc. though having many of these features will lose their appeal.

Please rate the cars based on specific features only and not price tag. If price is the differentiator, then it will not hold good.
rajess_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:01   #6
BHPian

Great thread. Will be a good starting point in one's search for a hatch. As some others have mentioned, please include the Indica Vista and Ford Figo too. Also, ARAI figures as well as any unique features of each car, e.g. Magic seats in Jazz, turn indicators on ORVM of swift, keyless start in Micra etc will help.
sraye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Added the Vista and the Figo, though I don't consider them in the premium category. Premium - fit & finish top class, quality excellent, good driveability and road manners, AND features on offer.

If features offered is the only guideline for premium, then why do we consider the VW Polo as a premium hatch with it's glaring lack of features?

I tend to go by what GTO's definition of premium means -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Define premium. Only size? If so, then cars like the C Class & 3 series aren't premium either (considering they have less space than 1/2 price cars like the Altis).

I think the i10 Kappa2 is most definitely a premium hatch. Heck, I like it WAY more than even the i20. Why premium?

Quality? Check
Interior fit & finish? Check
Refinement? Check
Engine performance? Check. Kappa2 is as quick / quicker than even the Polo 1.6 BTW
Gearshift? Amongst the best this side of 10 lakhs
Equipment? Well, there is a variant with a sun-roof too

Automatic? Usually considered a premium option. Check.

The only downer to the i10 is its basic ride quality. But then, the Jazz is no magic carpet either.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...tchback-4.html

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd August 2011 at 15:07.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Hi, a really nice thread. Would encourage if you could elaborate on the "PREMIUM" tag line. (e.g.) Cars with Features like curatin / side air bags, steering mounted controls, Auto Climate Control, A/T, Unique / Innovative Features, etc. may be put as premium. Since price band alone will not be good to put the tags. Then cars like the Vista, Beat, A Star, etc. though having many of these features will lose their appeal.

Please rate the cars based on specific features only and not price tag. If price is the differentiator, then it will not hold good.
Price is not the only factor, for a hatch to be considered premium in India.

IMO:

It's the positioning of the car in the market, and the features and quality that it is loaded with, that gives it a premium tag. The Jazz, i20, Polo, Punto, etc. come loaded with features and quality that is expected in their sedan counterparts, like the City, Verna, Vento and the Linea respectively.

Basically, a premium hatch, in India, is a hatch that provides the same levels of quality, space, power, etc. at a marginally lower price than its sedan-sisters.

In comparison, the A-Star, Beat, Figo, i10, are small hatchbacks, perfect for the city and the rare highway outing. They aren't really 'premium', barring the i10, because of the sheer number of features it comes with.

In reality, however, real premium hatchbacks aren't sold in India. The Golf, the BMW 1-Series, the Mercedes A-Class, Audi A1 are all premium hatchbacks. The ones in India are just Superminis.

EDIT: Great thread RavenAvi. Should be very helpful for those looking for a hatch. Now that this segment is bustling with activity, and promises more in the future, it would be wise to go through the options we have at our disposal, at this juncture.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd August 2011 at 15:09.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:12   #9
BHPian

The main reason for asking for cars like Figo or Indica Vista might be the inclusion of the Liva in your thread.

Had you left the Liva out, the rest all would quite well fit into this category, needing no further additions.

And yes, i10 A/T does fit in premium category. I take my words back for i10.
manjot1912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraye View Post
Great thread. Will be a good starting point in one's search for a hatch. As some others have mentioned, please include the Indica Vista and Ford Figo too. Also, ARAI figures as well as any unique features of each car, e.g. Magic seats in Jazz, turn indicators on ORVM of swift, keyless start in Micra etc will help.
Duly added, mate. I have excluded Beat and several Maruti cars for this reason only.

I have mentioned a few distinguishing features of some cars - Magic Seats, Blue & Me, Start/Stop button, etc.

I could not get ARAI figures of all cars in time. I will definitely compile them together and ask a Mod to add them in the opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Price is not the only factor, for a hatch to be considered premium in India.

IMO:

It's the positioning of the car in the market, and the features and quality that it is loaded with, that gives it a premium tag. The Jazz, i20, Polo, Punto, etc. come loaded with features and quality that is expected in their sedan counterparts, like the City, Verna, Vento and the Linea respectively.

Basically, a premium hatch, in India, is a hatch that provides the same levels of quality, space, power, etc. at a marginally lower price than its sedan-sisters.

In comparison, the A-Star, Beat, Figo, i10, are small hatchbacks, perfect for the city and the rare highway outing. They aren't really 'premium', barring the i10, because of the sheer number of features it comes with.

In reality, however, real premium hatchbacks aren't sold in India. The Golf, the BMW 1-Series, the Mercedes A-Class, Audi A1 are all premium hatchbacks. The ones in India are just Superminis.

EDIT: Great thread RavenAvi. Should be very helpful for those looking for a hatch. Now that this segment is bustling with activity, and promises more in the future, it would be wise to go through the options we have at our disposal, at this juncture.
Agree with Suhaas.

Thanks, buddy. It should be helpful for the festive season ahead, at least till the end of the year.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Everything below the Fabia will strictly NOT have the 'premium tag'. Indica as a premium hatch? Come on...
kalpeshc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you have Indica, Figo & Liva in this list, no way it can be termed as "premium" hatchback. You should then include Wagon R, Beat & A-Star as well.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
The main reason for asking for cars like Figo or Indica Vista might be the inclusion of the Liva in your thread.

Had you left the Liva out, the rest all would quite well fit into this category, needing no further additions.
True. I should have left the Liva out, but for the pricing. The top-end Liva comes to around 6.7L OTR, going over 7L OTR in some states. Hence I added the Liva and the Micra, for the same top-end OTR price reason, into the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Everything below the Fabia will strictly NOT have the 'premium tag'. Indica as a premium hatch? Come on...
Tell me about it. Vista and Figo don't fit into the premium category, IMO. But on hind sight, it's good to have them as well just for a comparative analysis with other cars, even if they are from a segment higher.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative.
Lets cut out what is premium and what is not for the time being.
But the way I see, if I10, Liva and Figo is included, so should be Beat. Beat's interiors quality is way better than Figo, Liva, Punto etc. It is not built to cost like Liva. It looks more upmarket than Figo. It is #2 in JD power quality ranking. (next to Jazz). So why noy.
So should be Ritz in the list. No explanation needed here.
You can call this thread, "Hatch with 1.2L+" instead of premium.

Nitpicking: Micra is a poor handler.

My opinion on Performance.
Petrol
Polo1.6=Jazz=Swift=Ritz=I10>Beat=Polo1.2=Fabia1.2> I20>Micra>Liva>Figo>Punto
Diesel
I20>Swift=Ritz>Micra>Figo>Punto>Polo1.2=Fabia1.2>Beat

Handling
Punto>Figo>Polo>Fabia>Swift>Liva>Jazz=Ritz>i10=Beat>Micra=I20

Interior quality
I20=Polo=Fabia=i10>Jazz>Beat>Ritz>Swift>Figo>Micra >Punto>Liva.

Cars in bold are guesswork.

For me it is tough choice between Jazz, Swift(P/D), Polo1.6, I10 & FigoD.

Last edited by oxyzen : 22nd August 2011 at 15:59.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the comparison between Polo 1.6 with Jazz in respective to handling in city driving and quality levels ( leave the interior space topic)? Is the GC (160 mm) too low in Jazz for Bangalore roads ( with 90% of the drives having with 3 occupants)

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed