Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 17:45   #346
BHPian

According to the specs, Figo and Poli seem almost on par but Figo diesel is more expensive by 40k.
Secondly, polo's service interval is 15k, much higher than Figo.

Nonetheless I am looking into Figo as well.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:17   #347
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We are back at looking for a new hatchback, for my BIL. For a couple i could think of few hatchbacks that would suit him in Bangalore.
  • Brio
  • Swift
  • Micra
  • Ritz
  • Beat
  • i10
  • Figo
How do they all stack up, for mostly City errands? As far as i think i have removed Polo, Punto, Sail, Liva, Pulse, Fabia, as either i don't think they are painless to own or they are too expensive.
If you are still looking for a choice from above, I will suggest Beat diesel. Since this is going to be mostly used in City, Beat really makes sense. I own a beat diesel now and have already done 24K+ kms. If Beat diesel, suggestion is to at least go for the LS model as it has the 60-40 split seats, which I have experienced to be more useful for occasional long trips. The rear seats even though looks to be claustrophobic, they provide good leg room. In city this car has a wonderful drive with light clutch and a decent gear box, this is excellent to drive. At times in second/third gears in traffic, I have driven it like an automatic, in sense just take off from clutch and this car can pull without too much lugging. In chennai, my mileage varies between 16 to 18 kmpl depending upon worst to better traffic movement.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:47   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess now the Polo 1.2TSI will now fit the title on performance front though we are yet to know the pricing.

Cheers!
Old 10th June 2013, 10:31   #349

Polo vs Brio Petrol

I'm looking to replace my 99' carb Zen as it has now started spluttering out all its parts after a brilliant life.

As my dad has an aversion to diesel cars(call it old-fashioned or whatever) I have been asked to pick out a petrol hatchback only. I have a budget of say 6-6.5L and have narrowed down onto the Volkswagen Polo Trendline 1.2L and the Brio top-end.

I loved the driving dynamics of the old Zen and would love to have something of the same in my new car. I would have gone in for the Brio immediately but I'm not too sure about the rear of the car, think it looks a little weird. The Polo, on the other hand, is a great looker and build quality is expected to be top-notch, but how does it compare with the Brio otherwise, especially as I'm getting the top-end Brio for the same price levels as the Polo Mid-range. Also, is the Polo too underpowered in comparison?

P.S.: Have left out the Swift and Ritz as they are too common
Old 10th June 2013, 11:00   #350
BHPian

Re: Polo vs Brio Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand.Mumbai View Post
As my dad has an aversion to diesel cars(call it old-fashioned or whatever) I have been asked to pick out a petrol hatchback only. I have a budget of say 6-6.5L and have narrowed down onto the Volkswagen Polo Trendline 1.2L and the Brio top-end.

I loved the driving dynamics of the old Zen and would love to have something of the same in my new car. I would have gone in for the Brio immediately but I'm not too sure about the rear of the car, think it looks a little weird.
The Polo Petrol is a 3 cylinder engine and is not refined. I can understand where your dad comes from when he says he hates diesel. The 3-pot Polo feels and sounds exactly like a diesel! He won't like it.

Get the Brio. It is much more refined. Also, the looks - you get used to it. I never liked it the first time. Now I find it quite good actually!
Old 10th June 2013, 11:04   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
The Polo Petrol is a 3 cylinder engine and is not refined. I can understand where your dad comes from when he says he hates diesel. The 3-pot Polo feels and sounds exactly like a diesel! He won't like it.

Get the Brio. It is much more refined. Also, the looks - you get used to it. I never liked it the first time. Now I find it quite good actually!
Ok but what about the handling and the ride quality, I have driven the Polo and thought it was all pretty good. Have'nt driven the Brio so would'nt know the difference too much. And which one is the more frugal of the two?
Old 10th June 2013, 12:02   #352
Senior - BHPian

Brio all the way. Its more spacious. You get more kit, and you get the sweet i-vTec engine.

the polo has the looks and the german engineering badge going for it.

cheers,
ac
Old 10th June 2013, 12:29   #353
BHPian

Polo feels doubly better built compared to Brio. It even rides better, better insulated and feels like a segment higher. However, all about Brio is its wonderful engine. F.E wise, I feel both are on par and this won't be a determining factor. Honda is also cheaper to maintain looking at the service bills. If its going to be the only car at home, my choice would be Polo, considering the plushness and much larger boot. If multiple cars, then Brio since its a bit more fun due to the peppy engine.
P.S: I have Brio as well as Polo 1.6. Earlier had a carb Zen too. Brio in many ways feels similar to the wonderful Zen.
v.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 12:50   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Volkswagen Polo Trendline 1.2L and the Brio top-end.

I loved the driving dynamics of the old Zen and would love to have something of the same in my new car. I would have gone in for the Brio immediately but I'm not too sure about the rear of the car, think it looks a little weird. The Polo, on the other hand, is a great looker and build quality is expected to be top-notch, but how does it compare with the Brio otherwise, especially as I'm getting the top-end Brio for the same price levels as the Polo Mid-range. Also, is the Polo too underpowered in comparison?
I would suggest you the Polo Trendline. It is because-
-You get a bigger car of a segment up
-Bigger boot space (~280L as compared to ~170L of Brio)
-Better laid out interiors
-Better driving dynamics

All this at a price difference of hardly any money!
You will lose the following though-
-ABS, Airbags, etc. (A must-have)
-Refined 4 Cyl. engine

So, take your decision accordingly.
Old 10th June 2013, 13:06   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I loved the driving dynamics of the old Zen and would love to have something of the same in my new car.
Hi Anand.Mumbai,

The first car I personally owned and drove during my college days was an old Zen so it's a very special car to me. The Brio according to me has a very similar feel to the Zen. Brio has a peppy engine and fun to drive. The only negative I find in the Brio is the lack of boot space. If you can live with that, I would 100% recommend you the Brio with the additional safety features and that engine.

Cheers
Old 10th June 2013, 13:16   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Polo feels doubly better built compared to Brio. It even rides better, better insulated and feels like a segment higher. However, all about Brio is its wonderful engine. F.E wise, I feel both are on par and this won't be a determining factor. Honda is also cheaper to maintain looking at the service bills. If its going to be the only car at home, my choice would be Polo, considering the plushness and much larger boot. If multiple cars, then Brio since its a bit more fun due to the peppy engine.
P.S: I have Brio as well as Polo 1.6. Earlier had a carb Zen too. Brio in many ways feels similar to the wonderful Zen.
I already have a Honda City in the house which my dad does'nt let me touch. The new car would be for me and I like to drive a car which is fun. I absolutely hated the i20 which I drove recently, it's got such a dead steering.
I'm a little confused now, the Polo has the better ride and handling, whereas the Brio has the better engine. So which one is better suited for having a good time behind the wheel?
Old 10th June 2013, 13:23   #357
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking to replace my 99' carb Zen as it has now started spluttering out all its parts after a brilliant life.

P.S.: Have left out the Swift and Ritz as they are too common
THE polo sounds horrible. Feels horrible to drive. Doesnt feel small and zippy like a hatch should. What it does give you is an amazing solid build quality.

I also think that your maintenance cost will be much higher in the long run if you buy polo rather than brio.

Brio on the other hand has amazing (yes amazing) driving dynamics, handling and comfort. It simply zooms through traffic and is a perfect city car. I've owned one for 18 months now. Done 27k kms already. We have a civic and Honda city too for local driving but everybody drives the brio because they love it so much.

The only reason you should buy a polo is if you have a lot of out station highway driving. The brio is not a highway car at all.

Else, blindly go for the brio. It's an amazing car. Service costs about 3-4k every 10k kms. That's really low. Mileage is 13 with AC and 16-17 without AC. Being a Honda you are sure that the car won't give you major problems for 10 years at least.

Since its for your dad, you could even go for the automatic.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 13:57   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
THE polo sounds horrible. Feels horrible to drive. Doesnt feel small and zippy like a hatch should. What it does give you is an amazing solid build quality.

I also think that your maintenance cost will be much higher in the long run if you buy polo rather than brio.

Brio on the other hand has amazing (yes amazing) driving dynamics, handling and comfort. It simply zooms through traffic and is a perfect city car. I've owned one for 18 months now. Done 27k kms already. We have a civic and Honda city too for local driving but everybody drives the brio because they love it so much.

The only reason you should buy a polo is if you have a lot of out station highway driving. The brio is not a highway car at all.

Else, blindly go for the brio. It's an amazing car. Service costs about 3-4k every 10k kms. That's really low. Mileage is 13 with AC and 16-17 without AC. Being a Honda you are sure that the car won't give you major problems for 10 years at least.

Since its for your dad, you could even go for the automatic.

The car is just for me! My dad has a Honda City of his own which he does not let me touch!! And what I'm looking for in a car is the fun factor, the steering needs to have feel in it, should go where I want, should inspire confidence at high speeds, and will be used equally in the city and the highways.

From what I have deduced from all your comments is that the Brio is the one with the better engine and is cheaper to maintain, whereas Polo is solidly built and stable at high speeds. Which of them hits the sweet spot better with respect to my requirements of a car??

P.S.: How I wish I could afford the 1.2TSI
Old 10th June 2013, 14:31   #359
BHPian

Guys

My dad test drove the polo and didn't like it.
But e liked the i20 that he drove so we are squaring in on the Asta petrol.

Are there any other options we should look at in petrol?

Need to book the car in the next couple of days
Old 10th June 2013, 14:36   #360
BHPian

Quote:
I loved the driving dynamics of the old Zen and would love to have something of the same in my new car. I would have gone in for the Brio immediately but I'm not too sure about the rear of the car, think it looks a little weird. The Polo, on the other hand, is a great looker and build quality is expected to be top-notch, but how does it compare with the Brio otherwise
Brio is definitely a fun to drive car, especially in the city - no question. In can maneuver in spaces you didn't know exists. Gear shift isn't the slickest but then with the wide power band you wouldn't need to shift too frequently.

It can zip around but with the softer suspension set up the rear feels bumpy over moon craters at moderate speeds. If you can live with that its a complete package, given the reliability of Honda and the cheaper maintenance costs.

Polo on the other hand is much better build and a practical highway car. If you can digest the higher servicing costs and the constant 3 pot motor sound, it drives better & handles bad roads more efficiently.

Given that you liked your Zen - Brio is a closer match than the Polo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed