Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 15:06   #946
BHPian

Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum even though I have been a silent observer for the past couple of years. I am writing to solicit opinion of expert members here who have first hand experience of driving the shortlisted cars in deciding a diesel hatchback for my father.

My father is approx 6'2". Priorities are Comfort, Safety (ABS + Dual Airbags) and hassle free ownership. Monthly running will be around 1000 km with occasional highway trip thrown in with me behind the wheel. Budget is up to 8 lakh on road. Plan is to keep it at least 8 to 10 years.

I own a Swift ZDi and am inclined to go for Maruti again even though I have test driven Polo, Grande i10, Elite i20 in diesel guises in past couple of days. Twist in the tale came when Maruti Sales Manager apprised me of whopping 70k + Scratch card (10k - 25k) cash discount on Ritz. That means 6 - 6.10 lakh on road for Ritz ZDi in Hisar, Haryana. I think that is a lot of car for the asking price. Swift ZDi costs almost 7.25 lakhs on road here after discounts of about 25k.

Now my only concern is that Ritz is near the end of its life cycle and since no test mules of a replacement are in sight, is it going to be discontinued? I think Ritz has sold in reasonably good numbers to justify availability of spares in future in the event of its discontinuance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
...I feel that an update is needed...
Also Swift is also rumored to get a face lift this November but nothing substantial and the rumored additions won't make much of a difference. Given that no diesel hatchback offers exceptional comfort and safety above what Ritz offers, should it be Ritz, Swift or any other?

PS: Excuse my Maruti and MJD bias.

Regards,
H S Sidhu
Old 16th August 2014, 17:35   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum even though I have been a silent observer for the past couple of years. I am writing to solicit opinion of expert members here who have first hand experience of driving the shortlisted cars in deciding a diesel hatchback for my father.

My father is approx 6'2". Priorities are Comfort, Safety (ABS + Dual Airbags) and hassle free ownership. Monthly running will be around 1000 km with occasional highway trip thrown in with me behind the wheel. Budget is up to 8 lakh on road. Plan is to keep it at least 8 to 10 years.

Now my only concern is that Ritz is near the end of its life cycle and since no test mules of a replacement are in sight, is it going to be discontinued? I think Ritz has sold in reasonably good numbers to justify availability of spares in future in the event of its discontinuance.

Also Swift is also rumored to get a face lift this November but nothing substantial and the rumored additions won't make much of a difference. Given that no diesel hatchback offers exceptional comfort and safety above what Ritz offers, should it be Ritz, Swift or any other?

PS: Excuse my Maruti and MJD bias.

Regards,
H S Sidhu
Why not check out the Polo with that new 1.5l tdi motor? If VW dealerships are okay in your area, this ought to be the best all-rounder currently on sale (unless you take into account the cramped rear seat)

Between the Ritz and Swift, I would choose the Swift for its driving position. Also in a couple month's time, you ought to be able to extract similar discounts on the Swift considering a facelift is around the corner. This isn't to say that the Ritz doesn't make for a sensible choice either. The car will definitely be discontinued soon, but parts should not be an issue unless you are looking at a long term ownership. Also your dad might prefer the Ritz due to his height and easy ingress/egress.
Old 16th August 2014, 19:30   #948
BANNED

Quote:
My father is approx 6'2". Priorities are Comfort, Safety (ABS + Dual Airbags) and hassle free ownership. Monthly running will be around 1000 km with occasional highway trip thrown in with me behind the wheel.

I own a Swift ZDi and am inclined to go for Maruti again even though I have test driven Polo, Grande i10, Elite i20 in diesel guises in past couple of days.
Since the vehicle is primarily for your dad, I will say the Ritz ZDi. The tall-boy design and higher seating will help matters for your dad.

The price being offered for the Ritz by the dealer is good. You can go ahead with the buy BUT check the VIN.

Quote:
Now my only concern is that Ritz is near the end of its life cycle and since no test mules of a replacement are in sight, is it going to be discontinued?
I don't think Maruti would discontinue the Ritz so soon. IIRC that car is selling 3-3.5K units per month and since it selling silently without an issue why discontinue.

Anurag.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:30   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why not check out the Polo with that new 1.5l tdi motor?

Between the Ritz and Swift, I would choose the Swift for its driving position ... The car will definitely be discontinued soon, but parts should not be an issue unless you are looking at a long term ownership.
Thanks for your advice. I did speak to some friends of mine who own Polo. All had nothing against the car but against post sale ownership costs. Given long term ownership, I am inclined to go for Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since the vehicle is primarily for your dad, I will say the Ritz ZDi... The tall-boy design and higher seating will help matters

The price being offered for the Ritz by the dealer is good. You can go ahead with the buy BUT check the VIN.

I don't think Maruti would discontinue the Ritz so soon.
Thanks. I will visit the dealer today for a final decision. Price of Ritz is tempting, though looking at long term ownership, I am inclined towards Swift. Plus its a generation newer than Ritz.

Considering everything, I am surprised at how good Swift is as a package even three years after launch.

Will keep you posted.

H S Sidhu
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:13   #950
BHPian

Confused Indian on buying a good car under 6 lacs ! Help Needed

Hello All,
A brief introduction of my experience on cars.

1. We still own a FIAT premier padmini a 1994 model. I learnt driving in the same car which is quite a mundane statement for a 1980's born kid.

2. I wanted to make sure i get a car of my choice before marriage, so no one can alter my decision. Went ahead purely in terms of heart and bought the FIAT Punto in 2010. It is one heck of a car. A MJD which is closing in at 70k on the ODO and is with me in Bangalore. However i bought it in Chennai.

Now i am intensely happy with my ride. But what made me go for a new car is

1. Bangalore RTO hunting down non KA cars like never before.
2. Parents are retired and wanted to get a small car for themselves back home in Chennai. Mom is not very glad in going around in the Padmini.

So something fell into place and we finalized the idea of giving the much loyal Punto to my parents back home and getting a new small car here. A win win situation for me, parents and the RTO.

Now starts my predicament having driven a superb highway rider and a comfortable car, i need to look out for a car within 6 lacs on road. A lot of browsing is directly proportional to the amount of confusion. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Some of my short listings are . In fact long listings are.

Priorities

1. Good hatchback with good road manners and better mileage. Not very keen on good mileage.
2. Some exciting factor in terms of engine in it.
3. Should be capable of doing highway runs sometimes.
4. Maruti and Hyundai preferable.

Maruti

1.Alto K 10 - good engine, age old interiors and exteriors. How often will i flooring the engine.

2.Celerio - Huge waiting period for AMT. Manual not much fun to drive.

3.Ritz - Good choice. Except for the exterior design. Not sure if the same braking issue in swift is present in Ritz

4.Swift- Braking issue in LXi and Vxi.

Hyundai

Grand i 10 - All ok. Need to test drive. High service costs for Hyundai a concern. Mileage as per owners hovering around 11 to 14kmpl

Elite i 20 - Way out of budget

Fiat

Punto - Already owning.

Linea - Pre owned TJet in mind.

Ford

Figo - Petrol not much sales. But if i am not selling it, it is a good choice. Ford after sales experience a concern? High maintenance is it?

Fiesta classic - Very tempting. Ford ASS and high maintenance for a 1.6 and fear of discontinuity of the classic.

Honda

Brio - OK OK interiors, good engine, small boot.

Toyota

Etios Liva - Spartan interiors and cabby feel.

Datsun

Yet to check it out. Not very good interiors.

Other considerations are

Nissan Micra - Good car. Nissan very few ASS and uncertain future.

With all these options in mind i am keen on looking at the following

1. Fiesta classic petrol 1.6
2. Honda Brio iVTEC
3. Hyundai Grand i 10 petrol.

With fear of Fiesta discontinuation, and Honda Brio's smaller boot and Hyundai's overall good package and nothing exciting factor is giving me a vertigo. If some one good advice me on the same, i will be ever grateful.

Last edited by Rubbertramps : 2nd September 2014 at 14:16. Reason: Grammare mistakes correction
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:25   #951
BHPian

Re: Confused Indian on buying a good car under 6 lacs ! Help Needed

I believe you should go for Swift VXI or Grand I10 Sportz. Note both are slightly over your buget, 15-20K may be. But still my choices for the budget and the needs you mentioned. I have driven both cars and would recommend Swift if you have highway driving in mind. For city drive, i would go with Grand I10.Do keep us informed on the ultimate choice you make.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:26   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, a wrong section to post your query. My reply below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
...So something fell into place and we finalized the idea of giving the much loyal Punto to my parents back home and getting a new small car here. A win win situation for me, parents and the RTO.

1. Fiesta classic petrol 1.6
2. Honda Brio iVTEC
3. Hyundai Grand i 10 petrol.

I have a feeling that you will be happier with a Fiat more than anything else. So my suggestion would be to get a pre-owned T-Jet. You should be able to hunt down one within 6-7L. Else the Fiesta; I have NOT really come across any horrible experience with the latest 1.6s, the previous one was superbly troublesome though (from whatever I have heard).

With Fiesta, the ownership costs also started coming down compared to the older models [by using child parts and bin (parts) sharing] - a reason to the brand's fair success in the market. A pre-owned 1.6('S' especially) should be available at very good prices and you might even save some from your allocated budget.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd September 2014 at 14:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:38   #953
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you to also check out the Tata Zest once. It is a very well put together car and will fit in your budget as well, and it also comes with a lot of features.

A test drive should be able to give you a good idea.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:48   #954
Senior - BHPian

Dear Rubberstamps

The choice should read as below:

1) Ford Classic.
Great car to drive and in terms of the driving feel, probably the best this side of 10 lacs or even 15 lacs. Also, yu get a sedan for the price of a hatch.

2) Swift VXi
Complete peace of mind, great and responsive ASC, good FE, low cost of ownershi, high resale

3) Tata Zest
The reviews are great and the Revotron has a lot going for it .Waiting period may be an issue though.

4) Brio
Good nifty car to drive. Good FE. Poor interiors and a cramped boot are its drawbacks though.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:54   #955
BHPian

I have a Ritz for over five years now (65k on the odo) and no issues whatsoever except tires. Got rid of the stock JKs at about 12k and since then I have Michellin XM+ (185) and no problems after that. But I would suggest the Grand i10 purely from a more updated design point of view.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:26   #956
BHPian

Sorry about the wrong thread. I am planning to get a hatchback for city runs and a petrol one. So a petrol hatch has good resale when its a M and H. Thats the reason. But sometimes in times of emergency i would do highways. Since i am used to a lot of highways in my Punto.

Yep i am a FIAT'ian. But a EVO 1.2 if bought should be kept for a lifetime. I would definitely want to move to a sedan down the lane in a couple of years. So will definitely need to sell the one i am going to buy. Cant sell the old punto due to poor resale.

Avventura. I would love to. Way beyond my reach.

Havent test driven any cars. I am starting today. Will update. And thanks for the information on Fiesta. Might be a deal breaker for me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
I have a Ritz for over five years now (65k on the odo) and no issues whatsoever except tires. Got rid of the stock JKs at about 12k and since then I have Michellin XM+ (185) and no problems after that. But I would suggest the Grand i10 purely from a more updated design point of view.
Thanks. Will check em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Rubberstamps

The choice should read as below:

1) Ford Classic.
Great car to drive and in terms of the driving feel, probably the best this side of 10 lacs or even 15 lacs. Also, yu get a sedan for the price of a hatch.

2) Swift VXi
Complete peace of mind, great and responsive ASC, good FE, low cost of ownershi, high resale

3) Tata Zest
The reviews are great and the Revotron has a lot going for it .Waiting period may be an issue though.

4) Brio
Good nifty car to drive. Good FE. Poor interiors and a cramped boot are its drawbacks though.

Heard a lot of about brakes becoming hard during bumper to bumper traffic and you know the brake booster is not present in lxi and vxi. Let me know if you ve heard of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I suggest you to also check out the Tata Zest once. It is a very well put together car and will fit in your budget as well, and it also comes with a lot of features.

A test drive should be able to give you a good idea.
Yes. thats a good choice. But i had enough sharing my space with cab drivers during FIAT-TATA joint venture servicing times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, a wrong section to post your query. My reply below;

I have a feeling that you will be happier with a Fiat more than anything else. So my suggestion would be to get a pre-owned T-Jet. You should be able to hunt down one within 6-7L. Else the Fiesta; I have NOT really come across any horrible experience with the latest 1.6s, the previous one was superbly troublesome though (from whatever I have heard).

With Fiesta, the ownership costs also started coming down compared to the older models [by using child parts and bin (parts) sharing] - a reason to the brand's fair success in the market. A pre-owned 1.6('S' especially) should be available at very good prices and you might even save some from your allocated budget.
. I will definitely be happier with the FIAT. Hell yes. But just apprehensive on the service costs for a Linea. Browsing again about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
I believe you should go for Swift VXI or Grand I10 Sportz. Note both are slightly over your buget, 15-20K may be. But still my choices for the budget and the needs you mentioned. I have driven both cars and would recommend Swift if you have highway driving in mind. For city drive, i would go with Grand I10.Do keep us informed on the ultimate choice you make.
Swift yes, as i mentioned , i am a little apprehensive about the famed brake issues in lxi and vxi.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2014 at 11:45. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:40   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swift yes, as i mentioned , i am a little apprehensive about the famed brake issues in lxi and vxi.
This 'defamed' brake issue shall be confirmed after test driving a car in your city. I haven't seen any Swift accident till date on my daily home-office route (Gurgaon - Delhi, 35 kms one way). And yes, I am driving Swift Vxi for past 6 years and 85000 kms.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:40   #958
Senior - BHPian

Rubberstamps

Vxi and LXi Brakes are not outstanding but do well for city drives.

Even on highways, they may be a tad underperforming but that should not be a deal breaker.

Else, if you can stretch your budget, get the ZXi or else if you are ok, you could consider the Ritz Vxi ABS.

You need to TD the cars you have selected/shortlisted and only then can you arrive at the pros and cons of each car!!
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:44   #959
BHPian

I would suggest you stay away from Hyundai if are looking for it to drive like you Punto did. It never can. Period.

I did that mistake of buying an i10 as a second car after Punto but could never connect with the car. End result, sold it !! Still own the Punto

If driving dynamics is on top of your list then you should stick to something European. Interesting to see that some worthy hatchbacks are missing from your list.

Why not the updated Polo or the updated Punto Evo? Even if your budget will not allow you for the fully loaded versions.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:51   #960
BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely be happier with the FIAT. Hell yes. But just apprehensive on the service costs for a Linea. Browsing again about it.
Based on my ownership experience of T-jet for 2.5 years and 31K KMs, and owning a Punto for 2 years, I would say the T-jet is definitely more expensive to maintain. Most of the spares are imported from Brazil or Italy thus, the costs are much higher than that of Punto or regular Linea. You should factor in these additional costs while selecting a pre-owned T-jet. Brake pads cost ~6000/set thus, 12K for replacing all four. Rotors are also around 6K per set. A set of Iridium plugs (due at 30K or 2 years) is around 3.5K. Clutch can set you back by another 10-12K. A well maintained T-jet will allow you to enjoy the car the way it's meant to be enjoyed and will never let you down on the road.

In Delhi, 2014 manufactured new Punto MJD Active variants (pre-EVO generation) are selling for less than 5.5 lacs on-road. The extremely high Bangalore taxes might take it closer to 6. If you are game for another Punto, this might be a good time to own another one.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks