Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 15:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Keep my vista or save for new car? Planning crosscountry road trip in 1 year.

So What if the accident happened... you have mentioned that post the repairs, the niggles didnt return. Your Vista has a lot of Juice left in it. Do not ditch it by going in for a new car at this stage!

Also, read this article about 4 fanatics who did Kanyakumari to Leh and back in 8 days or something.. .all in a Vista..

------------------

Bottomline, your car is Up for it... are you ?
Old 24th August 2011, 16:50   #17
BHPian

Re: Keep my vista or save for new car? Planning crosscountry road trip in 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just thought would mention this since you've mentioned the Sat Nav multiple times and also that you wouldn't be off-roading as such.

If you're taking the main National Highways or the GQ and even some State Highways, they are very nicely marked; the routes and distances are well outlined out late.

Do you really need the Sat Nav? Of course, it is a handy thingy but it is not indisposable. We've had a cross-country trip and a recent one to Valley of Flowers, we never had a feeling that we were "lost" or needed a Navigation. The sign boards are decent enough. Worst case - I'm sure you'd have a phone with at least GPRS.

Not discouraging you from buying the Sat Nav - just saying you could channel the money you've set aside for this for more significant repairs/upgrades in the car.
Do I really need it? No. Would it make my life easier? Yes.

A long road trip like that would inevitably have you running into improperly marked roads. I've had multiple issues with directions in the past. And then trying to find your way in a new city or town is even worse.

I have used Google maps via GPRS on my nokia 5130 before. It worked but it was annoying as I had to keep stopping and checking out the maps. It was even worse in the city. My next try was the GPS enabled nokia 5800 with Google maps. Worked really well but looking down/trying to keep the phone from from flying around, seemed risky, especially in bangalore's traffic.

It would help with some of those problems and seems like a good investment for a 20k trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Depends purely on your finances but if you can afford it I'd try to change the car. Two reasons:
(1) Major accident - often the car isn't the same, doesn't feel the same after the accident.
(2) TDI - Would be better to get a peppy diesel.

Again I said it depends on your finances and how "crazy" you are. Assuming you're a millionaire, I'd suggest going for a new car. Swift or Punto considering all those highway miles you're going to put on it.
Lol, I'm no millionaire. I'm just looking at my options. Buying a new car has it's pros even if it means spending a good bit more in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Pros of your existing car:

TDi is a workhorse. The car just takes abuses and keeps going. One good thing is, you really do not need TASS to fix the TDi engine. You can easily find competent mechanics who will fix the car better than any ***. I would go to the extent to say TDi is almost like a modern Amby - even if you do not find OEM spares, you will get some spares which can get you going till the next place where you can fix it.

Vista do have space for double din.

Cons:

TDi is not as peppy as Quadrajet\Multijet.
Loss of trust \ fear of not so perfect repair work done.
Not much frills viz a viz a Punto

Now, suppose you are selling your car now. Since it have an accident history, the resale will be less, irrespective of you sell it now or later.

You have two choices.
1. You can sell it now and take the hit of depreciation.
2. Spent 1~1.5L as per your list to upgrade\maintain the car and sell it at a later stage and take the hit of depreciation harder.

I do not think the 1~1.5L you pour into the car now for its upkeep will add any extra value when you plan to sell the car and at the end of the day, it is still a car with accident history and will hit by depreciation. So, I think you may lose more money if you go for option2.

About new car - I would say get a Punto diesel. I have both TDi and Punto and driving comfort of Punto is leagues ahead of TDi. If you plan to drive across India, Punto is a car which can take you there and some more. The suspension and handling will be of great aid when you plan to drive thousands of kilometers, and the steering of a Punto is a thing of beauty.

I would say, trade your car now for a new Punto.
Thanks! Can you give me some pointers about how much my car will be worth a few months and 3 years? Also, how is the resale of the punto looking? I guess a few numbers would make the choice easier.

Btw, the thing about the TDi being a workhorse - that's exactly why I bought this car. I don't really have much of a problem with the engine though. Gotten used to using the gearbox and keeping the engine >2k rpm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
You didn't say why the Swift Diesel is ruled out. You could also take a look at the Ritz diesel & the Nissan Micra Diesel.
And yes I think you should flog your Vista and go in for a new car - owing to that accident you mentioned.
I've driven quite a few cars after I've gotten used to my vista. I was right at home in the HPS cars like the punto, ikon, and old school lancer. On the other hand, I seem to have trouble adapting to cars with a light EPS - including swift G13B, alto lxi, ANHC and i10. The steering is pretty much a deal breaker - it's half the pleasure in driving a car to me. I don't really appreciate the feeling of being insulated from the road.

On a side note I drove an old Indica petrol today and the steering was much lighter and felt more more isolated than the unit in my Vista...is this a design thing or is hydraulic power steering pump in my vista not working as it should and rewarding me with a better steering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
So What if the accident happened... you have mentioned that post the repairs, the niggles didnt return. Your Vista has a lot of Juice left in it. Do not ditch it by going in for a new car at this stage!

Also, read this article about 4 fanatics who did Kanyakumari to Leh and back in 8 days or something.. .all in a Vista..

------------------

Bottomline, your car is Up for it... are you ?
Well, I'm wasn't sure my car was up for it. That's why I even began this thread. :P

Either way though, it doesn't seem as though my available choice in new cars is quite limited as of now. Also, as my choice of a new hatch, the punto (either VGT or FGT) doesn't have much of a waiting period, I think I could just wait a few more months and then decide my course of action just before the trip. Both the delivery of a new car and getting my old one fixed should take about a month. So, I can see how the vista behaves till the 40k service and decide then.

Although, if someone wanted to convince me why NOT the punto, I'd love to hear their arguements.

Any other comments will be most welcome too!
Old 24th August 2011, 17:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
Although, if someone wanted to convince me why NOT the punto, I'd love to hear their arguements.

Why not Punto, well there would be many stories of Fiat A.S.S horrors. Just came of the thread in which one of the Punto owner looks like is being cheated as he has been asked to change his brake pads every 15K as (As the Service Engineer tells him) because of ABS the brake pads wear out faster.

Apart from that i can clearly see the step motherly treatment whenever i have gone to see a Fiat product, for test drives and everything else.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Can you give me some pointers about how much my car will be worth a few months and 3 years? Also, how is the resale of the punto looking? I guess a few numbers would make the choice easier.
Can you give me some details like trim level (Terra\Aqua) and how many KM have done. Will call up a friend who deals in used car and will try to get the prevailing price in Kerala.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:

I've driven quite a few cars after I've gotten used to my vista. I was right at home in the HPS cars like the punto, ikon, and old school lancer. On the other hand, I seem to have trouble adapting to cars with a light EPS - including swift G13B, alto lxi, ANHC and i10. The steering is pretty much a deal breaker - it's half the pleasure in driving a car to me. I don't really appreciate the feeling of being insulated from the road.

On a side note I drove an old Indica petrol today and the steering was much lighter and felt more more isolated than the unit in my Vista...is this a design thing or is hydraulic power steering pump in my vista not working as it should and rewarding me with a better steering?

+1 to your need for the HPS, which I absolutely love on my car as well. It is an enginnering thing, the Vista's HPS is slightly more 'heavy - for want of a better word'. The petrol Vista (as in mine) steering is lighter than the Vista TDi. My cousin has the TDi and so this is from experience.

I would also suggest that you stick with the TDi. What you can do is try getting the Split rear seats installed (if you dont have it) it is a boon to have when you have to carry stuff. Also the Vista is designed to be a car which can take a hammering. My cousing who owns the TDi drives it on roads where even a Tractor would think twice (okay exageration) but you get the drift. It is a workhorse and you can easily get 1 lakh kms more.

Also for your lack of trust, suggest you go to some better A.S.S and get the entire thing serviced. Also look up Tata Recon. (check customer service website). You get Engines, drive trains etc with a warranty which means you dont have to worry about it.

Also most other cars need service stations in case of engine problems, the TDi can be repaired almost anywhere.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Can you give me some details like trim level (Terra\Aqua) and how many KM have done. Will call up a friend who deals in used car and will try to get the prevailing price in Kerala.
Hey, thanks!
Tata Indica Vista
Aqua Tdi
Feb 2009 manufactured
Mar 2009 delivered
26k km covered
Expected before the trip 40k km

Thanks a lot! Please don't go out of your way though. I've still got a long way to go before I make the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
+1 to your need for the HPS, which I absolutely love on my car as well. It is an enginnering thing, the Vista's HPS is slightly more 'heavy - for want of a better word'. The petrol Vista (as in mine) steering is lighter than the Vista TDi. My cousin has the TDi and so this is from experience.

I would also suggest that you stick with the TDi. What you can do is try getting the Split rear seats installed (if you dont have it) it is a boon to have when you have to carry stuff. Also the Vista is designed to be a car which can take a hammering. My cousing who owns the TDi drives it on roads where even a Tractor would think twice (okay exageration) but you get the drift. It is a workhorse and you can easily get 1 lakh kms more.

Also for your lack of trust, suggest you go to some better A.S.S and get the entire thing serviced. Also look up Tata Recon. (check customer service website). You get Engines, drive trains etc with a warranty which means you dont have to worry about it.

Also most other cars need service stations in case of engine problems, the TDi can be repaired almost anywhere.
Thanks for clearing up the petrol vista steering vs the tdi vista steering! Guess I wasn't imagining it after all.

I agree with the workhorse part. It'll probably be better for the trip with even roadside mechs knowing how to fix the TDi thanks to taxis. I'll probably stick with the Vista unless it throws up any major problems. Will check out that website and I'll start a thread in the technical stuff forum asking for what can and what should be changed...
Old 27th August 2011, 02:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for clearing up the petrol vista steering vs the tdi vista steering! Guess I wasn't imagining it after all.

I agree with the workhorse part. It'll probably be better for the trip with even roadside mechs knowing how to fix the TDi thanks to taxis. I'll probably stick with the Vista unless it throws up any major problems. Will check out that website and I'll start a thread in the technical stuff forum asking for what can and what should be changed...
Just found the link Tata Motors Customer Care :: Recon Aggregates

The prices are a bit old but I think it is worth the peace of Mind.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Just found the link Tata Motors Customer Care :: Recon Aggregates

The prices are a bit old but I think it is worth the peace of Mind.
No price for the Vista TDi bit the indigo 475 is 33k. That seems pretty solidly reasonable to me. I'll be sure to consider this. Thanks for the link!
Old 6th September 2011, 16:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks!
Tata Indica Vista
Aqua Tdi
Feb 2009 manufactured
Mar 2009 delivered
26k km covered
Expected before the trip 40k km

Thanks a lot! Please don't go out of your way though. I've still got a long way to go before I make the decision.

Oops, I totally forgot to update this. According to my friend who deals with used cars in Kerala, the car will fetch 3L~3.15, depending on the accident, on a rough estimate.

Most Viewed