Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:46   #1
BHPian

WAGON-R LX or SANTRO XK(Non AC)

Hello All,

This is my second post.

In my first post i enquired about used cars, but now i decided to go for new one, so posting this new thread.

Shortlisted cars are ................
(I have shortlisted this cars due to LOW budjet)
  • WAGON-R LX
  • SANTRO XK(Non AC)
I may not require AC and PS. Which is better for driving, FE and Maintainance.

[daily some 30 kms, may be a long trip once in 2/3 months ]

Best Regards,
Manjunath.CD
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tell teh Maruti guys that you are looking at a Santro and then they will give you more price reduction.

Santro would my choice anyday. Do test drive both ( not the top end models but the one you are gonna buy.)
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Second post?!! I myself seen so many from you before this. And the sidebar says that this is your 14th. So?

About your query, well, first of all I would say that do not buy a car without AC IMO. In the southern cities during the summers you will feel as if you are sitting inside a blast furnace if you do not have the AC. Believe me... I feel that nowadays every morning even in Feb. The benign early morning sun causes this effect. You can imagine now what will happen in peak summer in the afternoons when the car itself will feel badly scalding and the engine bay will also dissipate its heat in there to some extent. And is there a Non-AC model of WagonR available? I do not think so.

Even a PS is a big boon but then these cars are not so heavy that they can not be manouevered without a PS. So maybe you can skip the PS thing. After all I see so many non PS WagonRs everyday (LX). Santros I have not seen without PS but then even that should not be very difficult, though I think its heavier than WagonR. So if that is the criteria you can look at the WagonR over the Santro.

Rest of the differences and the good, bad and the ugly debates on these two cars (AC and PS do not make a difference) are available aplenty on this site. Please use the search feature.
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:04   #4
BHPian

I myself seen so many from you before this. And the sidebar says that this is your 14th. So?
I'm SORRY ZAPPO.. this is my second THREAD.
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Maybe due to being in B'lore you decided not to go for AC. But I guess it is better to go for PS. But then I guess you can take AC (without PS) but not PS (without AC). So for getting PS, you will need to pay for the AC also, which u will not use.
I would suggest the WagonR. Space at the back is a little less than the Santro, but then in a Santro also, 3 guys can sit ony squeezed.
I have heard a lot about Santro toppling and wheel lift at curves. Not sure about how correct this is, though my friend who has a Santro said it is definitely the case.
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:11   #6
BHPian

Coming to the subject..

WAGON-R LX
SANTRO XK(Non AC)

Only Santro has NON AC model.

SANTRO
My only idea or thought is "going for an santro NON-AC car with an OnRoad price of 3.2 lacs is better than fully loaded 5+ year old santro with price 2.5 lacs (average price taken from many used car dealers)"

Wagon-R
Wagon-r Lx onroad price in bangalore is 3.6 lacs (after 40k discount), which contains AC (but 40k more than non-ac santro).

What to do .. i have very less money.. but i want an good CAR .
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are low on budget, go for Alto or Indica Xeta, but do not compromise on AC. My friend bought Maruti 800 thinking he would not need AC. Now he is repenting each and every day without fail. You probably dont need PS for Wagon R or Santro. Though I have driven both cars, I really don't find significant difference in them. Choose whatever you like
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Don't fool yourself considering you don't need AC.
In summer time it is must.
If you will be driving in traffic too much I would say go for PS too.

Out of two I would definetly pick WagonR
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If you are low on budget, go for Alto or Indica Xeta, but do not compromise on AC. My friend bought Maruti 800 thinking he would not need AC. Now he is repenting each and every day without fail. You probably dont need PS for Wagon R or Santro. Though I have driven both cars, I really don't find significant difference in them. Choose whatever you like
So there... he more or less seconded my view. A car without AC in the afternoons can be a furnace. Believe me it becomes unbearably hot. PS you can do without. In fact truthfully speaking it is more of a luxury... during tight parkings you may have to turn that steering wheel a few more times (or rather wrestle with it), but even that will not be much with these lighter cars. I have driven an Indica without PS and believe me I know... even Indica is drivable without a PS. But without AC... I think that can really pain. A hot afternoon and you are headed for an important meeting or maybe a marriage, with your family; all in their finest of clothings... and dripping like mad. Picture that scene and you will know what I mean.

By the way, you know something? Bangalore is hugely overpriced for second hand cars IMO. To get a sampler goto www.carwale.com and see the prices of the cars and you will start getting an idea. I think if you get a good deal in a city like Mumbai or Pune it will probably pay to get a driver and drive it down all the way. It may work out cheaper that way for you.

Also, have you given a look at the base model Indica Xeta? I would suggest you take a look at this option as well. You may get all that you want and then some more for the kind of money you want to spend (or maybe less!!).
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

16 valve japanese engine. Need i say more?

Go for the WagonR!
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why are you not considering Alto then? You should seriously explore this option. It may fit perfectly for you.
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very true. The Alto would be a nice option to consider.
Old 22nd February 2006, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Very true. The Alto would be a nice option to consider.
But, ALTO is somewhat cramped inside.. So, i'm looking between SANTRO and WAGON-R
Old 25th February 2006, 10:05   #14
BHPian

If i were you, i would buy the wagon-R. IMHO, its a much better car than its korean competitor. The performance of the japenese engines can never be matched by hyundai.
And i find the rear seat of the santro somewhat uncomfortable compared to the wagon-r.

Cheers
Old 25th February 2006, 11:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

cdmanju,

If you dont have more than 3 members in your family, or if you drive alone, AND you are not very tall, than ALTO Lxi seems to be the best bet. It has got AC, Power Steering, looks good, performs decent and gives better Mileage than Tall boys.

Amongst the tall boys, i echo everybody else's opinion... the Japanese one!

Last edited by DCEite : 25th February 2006 at 11:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks