Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:43   #1

My FIRST car.

Hi
all Friends,

I am looking for a small car(My first car) and I am confused that which car I should own.As i am looking for security feature in it.

Keeping this in mind I am looking for Wagon R high end model(which has airbags in it) and its price is around 4Lac in Delhi, but people says there are many in this price range so Pls suggest me which car I should go for the range between 3 - 4Lac.

ALto
Wagon R
Santro
or
any other used car with security features like airbags etc.

Thanks

abhee
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try if u can find a 2nd hand Swift. It's got Airbags and ABS so it should be a safe car..
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the "What Car" section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhee
Hi
all Friends,

I am looking for a small car(My first car) and I am confused that which car I should own.As i am looking for security feature in it.

Keeping this in mind I am looking for Wagon R high end model(which has airbags in it) and its price is around 4Lac in Delhi, but people says there are many in this price range so Pls suggest me which car I should go for the range between 3 - 4Lac.

ALto
Wagon R
Santro
or
any other used car with security features like airbags etc.

Thanks

abhee

If Airbag was not on your list.. i could have recommended WagonR Primea. Seems to be selling a lot these days. Otherwise there is optional ABS/Airbags/EBD in Vxi model, but i think the cost touches that of Swift Lxi on road.

A used Swift zxi seems the only choice here, but it will be hard to find.

If you dont mind, can i ask you.. the choices you have put down, are strictly city cars, so Airbags, ABS wont be of much use as long as you are driving sensibly and not overspeeding/racing most of the times. I dont want to sound as if i dont support the safety issues, but its my personal opinion that for the kind of traffic we have in cities, the Airbags and ABS have limited use. Of course, its better to have them, but they serve a better utility in cars like Swift and C/D segmenters which you are more likely to run at high speeds and use on highways.
just my 2 cents.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd February 2006 at 13:18.
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

The base model swift costs 4.5 Lakhs.
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
If Airbag was not on your list.. i could have recommended WagonR Primea. Seems to be selling a lot these days. Otherwise there is optional ABS/Airbags/EBD in Vxi model, but i think the cost touches that of Swift Lxi on road.

A used Swift zxi seems the only choice here, but it will be hard to find.

If you dont mind, can i ask you.. the choices you have put down, are strictly city cars, so Airbags, ABS wont be of much use as long as you are driving sensibly and not overspeeding/racing most of the times. I dont want to sound as if i dont support the safety issues, but its my personal opinion that for the kind of traffic we have in cities, the Airbags and ABS have limited use. Of course, its better to have them, but they serve a better utility in cars like Swift and C/D segmenters which you are more likely to run at high speeds and use on highways.
just my 2 cents.
thanks for ur quick reply.

Can you suggest me then which car should i go for Alto (high end version) and swift ( base or mid version).
or if possible can tell me the benifits of them too.

I personally beleave that Swift is good by technology etc and Alto is of lesser price.

Pls suggest me.

Thanks
abhee
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:35   #7
BHPian

i feel the swift lxi(base-model) is a much better car than the alto. It is more spacious, much more powerful, has a cool appeal about itself and it demands much more respect than the alto .

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:41   #8
BHPian

For around 4 lakhs you could look around for a used Swift ZXi with the safety features you want.
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhee
Can you suggest me then which car should i go for Alto (high end version) and swift ( base or mid version).
or if possible can tell me the benifits of them too.
Depends on your budget. Alto lxi (the highest version, but its without power windows) costs about 1.3L less than Swift Lxi (again without power windows). Alto is more of a A to B commuter, with better efficiency than Swift. Swift will give you slightly more space, more power, and more comfort. Downside is the FE which doesnt match that of Alto or for that matter even WagonR. There are some user feedback coming about rattle issues, you can read about that in the "The indian car scene" section.

Alto would be a great first car, there is no reason why i shouldnt recommend it, only point it is that its performance is not something which will make fly on road and is slightly cramped for space inside.

However my personal advice would be WagonR lxi/ Santro XP/XG. More peppy than Alto, more space, and more powerful. Easy to handle in city. WagonR good for occasional highway trips as well.
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

for a first time buyer, I would suggest you avoid teh swift. I am assuming that u r new to driving.... hence swift is not very easy to drive in traffice because rear visibility and front left visibility is not that great.

U would be bettwe off going in for a wagon R or a santro with ABS
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think for starters Santro or Wagon R are the best city cars. Swift wii be out of the budget you mentioned.
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:28   #12
BHPian

For first car, Alto is probably the best value for money. Its economical too. It may not have airbags, but its safety features are more advanced than M800/Zen.
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

OHC 1.3/1.5! The maint is a little high, but way more space, fun, and actually lesser turning radius than the Zen, so it merely 'looks' bigger.
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:29   #14
BHPian

I personally think the WagonR is a good option.Because it is easy to drive in city due to its Compact size and Electronic Power steering.Its Comfy and good FE. Go for the High end variant.
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Let your First car be a new car if you drive well

or go for seconds

Stick with SAntro or Wagon R. Drive both and decide for your self. Both cars are peppy enough for city drives and for average intercity drives. I guess Santro leads the pack when it comes to better performance inside city and maybe the mileage too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks