Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 10:27   #151
BHPian

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I felt that the Figo had the worst turbo lag among the ones tested.
Its surprising! This car feels like having no turbo lag at all, it always feels in power. Though big reason is it has short gear ratios and due to that it feel unrelated at high speeds. But in the city driving conditions, Figo feels very peppy.

Maybe you need to have a test drive of different car.

BTW congratulations for you Micra, wish it is delivered to you at fastest and your eagerness to have your hands on it's steering ends up soon.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 08:03   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really don't know why I differ so much in opinion on the Figo. I felt that the Figo had the worst turbo lag among the ones tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Its surprising! This car feels like having no turbo lag at all, it always feels in power. Though big reason is it has short gear ratios and due to that it feel unrelated at high speeds. But in the city driving conditions, Figo feels very peppy.
Maybe you need to have a test drive of different car.
@Thoma, Even its surprising to me. I have never heard anyone complaining about the lag in Figo (or even in the classic Fiesta).

Nevertheless congrats on the Micra. Its a very nice package. Looking forward to your Micra story on a new thread!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 09:50   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Thoma, Even its surprising to me. I have never heard anyone complaining about the lag in Figo (or even in the classic Fiesta).

Nevertheless congrats on the Micra. Its a very nice package. Looking forward to your Micra story on a new thread!
Is it because the way I tested? I had been testing the lag on inclines by flooring the pedal. Does that make a difference? My place is full of inclines and I wanted a good response here. I had tested all cars such. In fact the incline for the Figo was less steep when compared to others. And I just can't think that a diesel test car will be presented with a turbo issue.

Thanks. I'll definitely put up an ownership thread once I lay hands on the Micra. Now it is becoming a long wait, just because we had booked a 2013 model of the not so VFM and moving variant, XV premium.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Is it because the way I tested? I had been testing the lag on inclines by flooring the pedal. Does that make a difference?
That makes huge difference in turbo charged diesel car. Power in diesel car relies on the torque and diesels have more torque at lower end. If you are flooring the pedal at relatively very lower RPMs, it won't pick up. Better to first let it build the momentum by a feather touch on the A pedal which it will gain very easily. Later when you cross 2K RPMs, you can floor the pedal all the way.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:54   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That makes huge difference in turbo charged diesel car. Power in diesel car relies on the torque and diesels have more torque at lower end. If you are flooring the pedal at relatively very lower RPMs, it won't pick up. Better to first let it build the momentum by a feather touch on the A pedal which it will gain very easily. Later when you cross 2K RPMs, you can floor the pedal all the way.
Maybe true. But that was not the case with a Swift, Liva, Punto or Micra Moreover, isn't that what turbo lag is all about? I got the help of the turbo a lot later in the Figo. The only difference between a normal testing and my testing is that I had tested the lag on higher engine load.

The only other diesel I had been with long time is a Mahindra Major. All others were petrol.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:20   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe true. But that was not the case with a Swift, Liva, Punto or Micra Moreover, isn't that what turbo lag is all about? I got the help of the turbo a lot later in the Figo. The only difference between a normal testing and my testing is that I had tested the lag on higher engine load.
Turbo lag means the RPM range where turbo is not running at its peak RPMs/power. Its strange to hear that you found Swift better, because turbo lag is much bad in the Swift compared to Figo. If you want to do fare comparison than do the back to back test with same parameters in same condition.

Quote:
The only other diesel I had been with long time is a Mahindra Major.
That is totally different engine. That engine runs on it's own power and has enormous torque. A feather touch is enough to make that vehicle moving even with lot of load.

But new generation turbo cars (commuter cars) rely more on the turbo. Engines alone of these cars don't have sufficient power to pull them effortlessly so if you are trying to push the car hard below the turbo kicking range (usually less then 1800-2000 RPMs) then these cars will feel lifeless, especially when tried with extra load.

Don't make the things complicated and spend some more time with your car and try to understand it. It will take some time especially when you graduated from NA petrol car

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th February 2013 at 12:24.
Old 6th February 2013, 13:36   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo lag means the RPM range where turbo is not running at its peak RPMs/power. Its strange to hear that you found Swift better, because turbo lag is much bad in the Swift compared to Figo. If you want to do fare comparison than do the back to back test with same parameters in same condition.
Please find my back to back reviews on the last page. Though I had driven other turbos including the rocket of a turbo - the Verna, I agree that I had not spent long time with those. And the frustrating diesel I had ever driven is the NA Indica. So it is unlikely that I can't compare turbos altogether.

It may be that the Swift produced enough torque without the turbo than the Figo, that the lag felt bit less. In my thinking, the lag include both the amount of lag and the time of lag. Both were bad in the Figo given to me.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 22:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now it is becoming a long wait, just because we had booked a 2013 model of the not so VFM and moving variant, XV premium.
So, today, we have decided to end the wait and go with a 2012 model which was available at the dealership. This particular car came to the dealership 10-15 days ago, when the price has not been hiked. But at that time, we were still adamant over a 2013 model:( More on why we came down on our 2013 requirement, when I see you guys over at my ownership thread, once I do some decent numbers on the odo.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who had chipped in
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:29   #159

I don't know for sure if this proper place to post/ask, but family of a four (adult) how good / bad is current gen Swift VDI as their first car ?

Self-Driven...
Old 15th February 2013, 16:51   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel2007 View Post
I don't know for sure if this proper place to post/ask, but family of a four (adult) how good / bad is current gen Swift VDI as their first car ?

Self-Driven...
It should be a good car. For a family of 4, it will not have the required boot space. So if that is a priority for you, probably the Figo would be a better choice
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 16:59   #161
BHPian

I did not read through a lot but I observed the words BUDGET and DIESEL. And that translates into just two cars at this point in India.

1. Swift Di
2. Figo TDCi

Swift will surely demand long waiting periods.

SO, the Figo it is.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 17:28   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Self-Driven...
Hi!

If the adults are above average build, would suggest you also look at Liva D or Sail D or Vista. In case they would like to stick with a Maruti, I would suggest, they opt for a Ritz than a Swift.

If it won't have full occupancy, then do consider Figo or Swift (are the braking issues resolved?)

I do drive a Figo as well as a Swift. A Figo & a Swift are more fun to drive Cars, but they aren't as spacious as other Cars listed above.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 18:13   #163
BHPian

^^^ every car except the beat will do the job. Shortlist the cars according to budget/ ease of service at your place, legroom requirements of rear passengers, and take them all for a test drive to check out ease of seating etc. I'm assuming an elderly couple is involved .
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 19:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:

Self-Driven...
I would recommend the Figo TDCi which I purchased last month. Figo has fantastic boot & seating space. I think only the Vista has more interior space & probably the i20(not sure). And more importantly is quite good to drive through the city traffic with close to zero turbo lag. This being your first car, maneuverability through the city has to be easy and next to the Beat & Micra/Pulse, Figo is quite easy to drive. The engine is a tried and tested unit with good economy and durability. On the higways too it is pretty stable because of it good build(I can confirm this as I did a 1000km long trip to south TN last month).
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks