Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 06:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a budget diesel hatch---Please help

I guess there is a reason that swift has so much waiting. The super A$$ of Maruti more than compensates for the initial waiting period. I would recommend the Swift over Figo/Beat. Think the 75K or so extra that you will be paying brings in more long lasting mental peace and lower cost of ownership.

That being said there are folks in the forum who have been very happy with their Figo's, and also we have instances in the forum where in you would find QC and cheaper parts of Figo giving away.
Old 14th September 2011, 08:06   #17
BHPian

A Mini Hatch War

With so many cars in this segment people do find it difficult to make a choice. IMO the ultimate decision can never be fully objective. Individual choices regarding looks and perceptions regarding a particular brand do creep in.

Since you have shortlisted 3 cars, the following is my feedback (+ve and -ve) on each of them:

1. Beat

A. Looks good. Great interiors in the LT variant. Has a wide variety of colors to choose from.

B. Has climate control.

C. VFM. Vis-a-vis a Figo after sales may be better and maintenance costs would be lower.

D. Since you have a Sedan already the boot space and the cramped rear may not be a problem.

E. Beat D is a relatively new car. Cannot be sure as to how it will perform in the years to come.

2. SWIFT ZDi

A. Looks good.

B. Unmatched after sales.

C. Lower in VFM quotient when compared to the Beat and Figo. However the same gets more than compensated at the time of resale.

D. Rattles from doors comes free with the car

E. Has a long waiting period.

3. Figo

A. IMHO has a kind of a plain Jane looks

B. VFM.

C. Spare parts may be costlier when compared to the other two cars in the fray.

D. Has higher noise levels (outside the car)

Conclusion
In my view since you have your son in mind his opinion should also be taken into account and after test driving, the car must be chosen. Each of the cars listed above has its own advantages and disadvantages.

If you want a car where one cannot go wrong then Swift D is the car for you. The waiting period is really worth the wait and the labour issues in Manesar may not be much of a concern in the long run. Do keep in mind that the Swift D has the most refined and fine tuned diesel engine across all segments.

If you are someone who can take risks then go for the Beat. The dash and interiors in the front are a class apart.

If boot space and cabin space is important for you then go for the Figo. The car does have a great AC.

Lastly you can also give the Fabia an outside chance; Do keep in mind that Skoda after sales is one of the worst in the country.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

You have a few options that are worth pondering over.

Ford Figo:

+ Lots of space
+ Good engine
+ Good VFM, lots of car for a lot less cash.

- It is a little problematic. Many friends of mine have reported several niggles
- after-sales-service not as good as competition
- resale value would be poor.

Maruti Swift:

+ Superb engine offers great balance of power and economy
+ Looks good IMO
+ Superb handling, and decent ride
+ Maruti's bullet-proof after-sales-service and good resale value too!

- Quality could have been better
- Very little space for rear passengers and a small boot too.
- Long waiting period is a put-off.
- Top-end is pretty expensive. Lack of safety features in lower variants

Chevrolet Beat:

+ Looks funky and fresh, even after being around for a while
+ Diesel engine very frugal and packs adequate punch for city driving
+ Comes with a list of features making it relatively VFM

- After-sales-service poor, when compared to Hyundai, Honda, Maruti, Toyota
- Resale value may not inspire you much.
- Lack of space in the rear, and an almost non-existent boot is a let down.
- Diesel engine is not refined enough

Toyota Liva:

+ Toyota's reliability is bullet-proof. After-sales-service not something to worry about
+ Plenty of interior space
+ Good engines that are frugal and adequately powerful
+ Good resale value should be expected

- Very poor interior quality, a big let down. Feels built to cost. It's biggest drawback
- Not exactly VFM, when all things are considered, especially the quality used.
- Uninspiring design, although it isn't bad, it doesn't look as good as the other cars in the competition.
- Could have come with some more features

------------------------------------

I would suggest you check out the Swift VDI. If you don't mind the waiting period and the little niggles, then the Swift is the way to go. If it isn't going to be the Swift for you, then the Beat makes more sense, IMO.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Figo- The decision is no-brainer. You must already be knowing the A.S.S guys owing to your Fiesta, saves you the most problematic part of knowing someone at A.S.S which is the key.

This in conjunction with the VFM package and atrocious waiting periods of other cars add in to the reason. Another thing I could think of is, no matter however great any car manufacturer is, when in for a mass production the initial lot will have certain niggles for atleast for first 6-12 months. So settle with Figo!
Old 14th September 2011, 10:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

For a young son, A SWIFT ZDI it should be. The figo will make him beg for power.

Swift shouts 'younger' generation. Total VFM, fun to drive, frugal and looks to go with it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs, really appreciate it.

As regards A.S.S. for Figo is concerned, it is a non-issue for me, as I've got a good rapport with Mody Ford SAs. So you were right @anilisanil.

@Gautam Misra---I agree with your listing of +ves and -ves. As regards Fabia, though the showroom and service centre are walking distance from my flat, I have read enough on this forum about their horrible attitude, so there is no question of a Fabia. I am not too fond of its looks either, and don't want to spend half a tola of Gold to replace an ORVM.

@Suhaas307---your details are very helpful, but no Liva please. But your suggestion for a Swift vdi merits consideration. So apart from alloys, ABS and airbags, what else does it not have that the zdi has? And how much is the price difference?

IMO, the Swift is the best looker of the three, and will appeal to the younger generation even more. Let me start TDs soon. I will update you guys after that is over.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks guys for your valuable inputs, really appreciate it.

@Suhaas307---your details are very helpful, but no Liva please. But your suggestion for a Swift vdi merits consideration. So apart from alloys, ABS and airbags, what else does it not have that the zdi has? And how much is the price difference?

IMO, the Swift is the best looker of the three, and will appeal to the younger generation even more. Let me start TDs soon. I will update you guys after that is over.
The Team BHP review isn't out yet. That should clear most of your doubts. I'm guessing the VDI doesn't come with auto-climate-control that is standard on the ZDI. I'm not entirely sure though!

The Swift is a great option. If it must be a diesel that is. If you don't mind considering a petrol car, do check out the Jazz and the Brio. Both would offer superior FE. We get 15-20 from our Jazz regularly. It's very spacious, funky, reliable and the Honda badge is a great addition too. Not to mention, the 1.2 engine is a gem.

I would not recommend the i20, as I'm a believer of cars with strong cores. The i20 may come with plenty of features et al, but it has poor dynamics and the engines aren't as reliable, refined and as fuel efficient either.

Refrain from Skodas and VWs. I do not like the 3-pot mills, and they might be due for replacement soon, as well.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Team BHP review isn't out yet. That should clear most of your doubts. I'm guessing the VDI doesn't come with auto-climate-control that is standard on the ZDI. I'm not entirely sure though!
Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the review, and my decision heavily hinges on that.

I don't need petrols, as my son cannot afford to spend on fuel charges daily. If he could, then the Waggie would have served his need, as it does now, though infrequently.

But if I had to go for a petrol hatch, then the Jazz would have been on the top of the list. But let me not divert from the topic.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the review, and my decision heavily hinges on that.

I don't need petrols, as my son cannot afford to spend on fuel charges daily. If he could, then the Waggie would have served his need, as it does now, though infrequently.

But if I had to go for a petrol hatch, then the Jazz would have been on the top of the list. But let me not divert from the topic.
I suggest you don't compromise on safety-features. They are worth every penny. So even if it is available only on the top-end variant, I still suggest you go in for it. Safety features are very essential. People sometimes tend to ignore the necessity for such equipment. ABS plays a very important role, especially in slippery and uneven road conditions.

Airbags are equally important.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th September 2011 at 11:12.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Do update your findings on the test drive, may be a detail report on the Swift would be welcome. Also could you compare the driveability front of the Figo and Swift?
Old 14th September 2011, 11:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Venu Saab:

What is your final budget?

If it has to be diesel hatchback, following would be my order of preference:
  1. Ford Figo Titanium.
  2. Heck why not the Fiesta Classic TDCi. I know same looking car but still its better VFM than Figo
  3. Punto 75/90 BHP (Like the shape and I have something for FIAT's )
  4. Chevy Beat

But the question that arises in my mind is that why again a Hatchback/ Sedan when you already have them. Since the vehicle is for your son's use predominantly and he being a young guy, I'm sure he would like to have a vehicle that add's to his charisma. A vehicle that will set him apart from the crowd. Will build to his "Character". In short you need toi get him a "Chick Magnet".

And in the 7 Lac budget only very few vehicles that come close and are here as under:
  1. Ninja 250
  2. Ninja 650
  3. HD XL 883
  4. M&M THAR

And if you ask me HD as well as the THAR will open quite a lot of new avenues on the motoring front.

Cheers
MileCruncher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 11:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for the party/parties

My choice out of the lot you mentioned would be the Ford.

I agree with Ani - Why not buy a Fiesta TDCi? The new Fiesta is smaller than the one you own and looks ok.

You are right in leaving the 3 cylinder cars alone. Isn't there a 4 pot VW?

The Punto 90 bHP would be a great buy and A S Service in Hyderabad is no problem really.

Why not look at cross-overs like the Yeti? A 4X4 with high ground clearance comes in mighty useful in our country.

Hmm, so many possibilities - why don't we discuss this over dinner .
Old 14th September 2011, 11:25   #28
BHPian

I agree with bblost.

Please TD the new Vista as well if you are looking for a budget hatch. The interiors & paint quality has improved & Fiat engine is proven.

It is offering almost everything on a Figo at lesser cost of ownership.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Waiting for the party/parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Hmm, so many possibilities - why don't we discuss this over dinner .
+ 1 on this Ravvs.

This discussion requires some thoughtful insights from Hydeez and a dinner meet would be an ideal platform to trigger our thinking process.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 14th September 2011 at 11:48.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Figo- The decision is no-brainer. You must already be knowing the A.S.S guys owing to your Fiesta, saves you the most problematic part of knowing someone at A.S.S which is the key.
... So settle with Figo!
+1 to it. If I had been looking for a hatch, this would have been first and foremost criteria, besides Figo is not that bad a car and I don't think the TDCI mill atleast on the Figo feels underpowered. IMO its good for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
For a young son, A SWIFT ZDI it should be. The figo will make him beg for power.
Swift shouts 'younger' generation. Total VFM, fun to drive, frugal and looks to go with it.
Don't agree here, for the price difference of 75k for Figo Titanium TDCI and Swift ZDI.
For 75K one can add pete's box and a wonderful looking alloy to the Figo which can compensate for the power and also scream "young" at the same time. But only if all this is required.

Venu sir, start with the test drives and let your son decide what feels best for him.

But then I would also request you to include the new improved vista in the test drives, it offers more car per carseriously. After figo, this would be my third choice for the diesel hatch, the second would be punto.

Edit: just a thought, but if you are open to pre-owned cars then wouldn't a TDCI fusion would make a case for itself. It would be easy on the EMI and fuel bill too. But I am not sure if your co lease scheme would consider pre-owned cars.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 14th September 2011 at 11:57.

Most Viewed