Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 11:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Ok guys, thanks for your inputs. The idea of a small hatch is becuase it would fit easily in my parking lot, where my Waggie currently is parked. I have to struggle to reverse the Fiesta into that slot.

I've read reviews of the Punto and not too happy with what I've read. It appears it offers hardly any improvement over the 75 bhp one, except a slightly refined engine. I also don't want to buy a car that hardly sells, though I agree it looks hot on the outside (not a fan of the interiors though)

The idea of getting deeper insights over dinner is a good idea, but I might end up buying an X3 after that !

Let us see when we can work it out.

Edit: Manish---my Co does not consider pre-owned cars under its scheme.

Last edited by vnabhi : 14th September 2011 at 11:53.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:05   #32
BHPian

Re: Need a budget diesel hatch---Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
This being the case, I guess I need to TD both the Figo and the Swfit and decide for myself.
Take a pick between Figo and Swift. These are the two I have shortlisted for my family if and when I decide to go for a change.

If you are told 9 months waiting for the Swift, be assured you will get it before 6 months and if you are told 6 months waiting, look forward to less than 4 months for delivery.

Note that the CEO of Saboo is the immediate neighbour of Anjani and am sure that this will help to cut down the waiting time a little more.

PS : At the time of booking in May'11, I was told that the waiting for Dzire ZDI is 6 months and I got the delivery call in less than 2 months itself (though I still went ahead and cancelled the booking).
Old 14th September 2011, 12:15   #33
BHPian

I would give a thumbs up to Ford Figo. It scores on driveability, AC, space and price over the Swift. Quality might be an issue, specially if you are gonna keep it long term, but i still think its a really fun and practical car.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:19   #34
BHPian

Hi!

@vnabhi

Of the options you have listed, the Maruti Swift offers a lower TCO (total cost of ownership). The spares are cheaper and as it is one of the most common vehicles on the streets, you can get after-market parts for it rather easily. If price is a concern, you can get a different variant and make up for the feature difference with after-market parts (though they may affect your warranty). The 4-cylinder engine is a plus for the Swift, compared to the 3-cylinder engines used by the VW Polo. Fuel economy in the new Swift is more than the old Swift too, primarily due to the reduced fuel tank weight.

As long as you have a vehicle right now, the waiting period should not be too much of a problem - Maruti is partially shifting the Maruti Swift production to Gurgaon and the move by Maruti would probably reduce waiting time to 4 months (from the current 6 months/indefinite). The old Maruti Swift was manufactured in Gurgaon so the setup in Gurgaon is expected to be rather quick. Besides, they say good things come to those who wait.

@bblost

The Mahindra Thar would be pretty neat to have as a second (or third) vehicle in the family. It is essentially a breadbox that you can fit after-market parts into so expect to set a budget for about 1-2 lakh over the price of the vehicle for rear seats, hardtop, air conditioning etc.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:39   #35
BHPian

Venu Gaaru, in my limited experience of 24 EMIs for the Bolero I have come to a conclusion that one must never buy a car through that route. It seems lucrative. It appears to save money. But at the end of the day you end up paying more money overall than the tax you would have paid had you not bought the car.

Since Ani Saar has mentioned the all important Chick Magnet qualification, in my not-so-limited experience nothing scores here better than the Padmini. I drove one for 2 years during my early 20s. Never had a social crisis during the time. A good one will cost you about Rs. 30,000, will cost next to nothing to maintain and will still return an FE of over 12. You save oodles of money, despite the huge cost of petrol since you have saved all the EMI.

Plus, your son has only recently started driving. There is no better car to hone one's driving skills in. And the sound of that glorious engine while you idle in traffic is pure music.

As Ravvs said, we need to discuss the finer points of your proposed acquisition. This weekend sounds like a good time to do so.

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 14th September 2011 at 12:41.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Venu Gaaru, in my limited experience of 24 EMIs for the Bolero I have come to a conclusion that one must never buy a car through that route. It seems lucrative. It appears to save money. But at the end of the day you end up paying more money overall than the tax you would have paid had you not bought the car
I am curious to know about this. The only reason I am going in for a new car is due to what seems to be a very attractive Co lease scheme, and the price difference of diesel over petrol. I can change my decision in case there are hidden costs, and shelve the idea. In that case, instead of a pre-owned Fiat Padmini, it makes better sense to use the Waggie that is already at home.

As regards my son, he's been driving cars for the past 4 years, including sedans like the Fiesta, Elantra and Embera, apart from the Waggie and Alto. (That generation found ingenious ways of car-pooling to college instead of taking the college bus.)

I've always been resisting the urge to buy a new car as both my cars and fighting fit, and the Waggie does not feel or look a decade old. But the fact that it is 10 years old and might not last for eternity is another factor propelling me.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am curious to know about this. The only reason I am going in for a new car is due to what seems to be a very attractive Co lease scheme, and the price difference of diesel over petrol. I can change my decision in case there are hidden costs, and shelve the idea. In that case, instead of a pre-owned Fiat Padmini, it makes better sense to use the Waggie that is already at home.
I think you must read GTO's post in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 14th September 2011 at 17:45.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
I think you must read GTO's post in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html

Yes I did, but long back. My case is of a 10 year old car though.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:35   #39
BHPian

@vnabhi : You ruled out the Punto 75/90 BHP due lack of power and not up to the mark interiors. Well, how about the Palio Multijet?
Believe me, I own both the FIAT and the FORD and my experience has not been very different on the service front. Yes, spare part availability with FORD is any day better than FIAT but, after three years of ownership on the FIAT, I hardly had any issues with the spares.
Both cars are equally fun to drive with the Fiesta opening up post 3000 revs and the Palio more fun in 1850 to 3500 rev due to the turbo.
To add to all, the price at which you can get the Palio Multijet and that too in Ferrari Red is something you cannot ignore.
Just take a look at this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cially-me.html
Old 15th September 2011, 18:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is a palio multijet still available? The Fiat website still displays it.
Old 15th September 2011, 18:54   #41
mo1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Is a palio multijet still available? The Fiat website still displays it.
Palio is still available but only in BS-III
So you can not buy it in either of the below mentioned cities:
Delhi & NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Kanpur, Agra, Solapur and Lucknow;
mo1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 20:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1 View Post
Palio is still available but only in BS-III
So you can not buy it in either of the below mentioned cities:
Delhi & NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Kanpur, Agra, Solapur and Lucknow;
You are wrong mate .

You can buy but can't register. But I think that might be an option as Venu Saab's Office falls in the BS-III zone.

Cheers

P.S: I stay in BS-IV but my vehicle in registered in BS-III.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You are wrong mate .

You can buy but can't register. But I think that might be an option as Venu Saab's Office falls in the BS-III zone.

Cheers

P.S: I stay in BS-IV but my vehicle in registered in BS-III.
But I stay in BS-IV area.

@pareshrahaja---thanks for your suggestion, but the Palio is going to be obsolte soon. That apart, I had my colleague's Palio with me for 6 months a couple of years ago.

I really had to wait for a month to get a fuel filler cap. My experience with Fiat/ Tata A.s.s was not that good.

But I agree that the Palio is a great car.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I stay in BS-IV area.
But the vehicle will be on lease and on Company's Name. So it will be registered on your company address which falls in AP-28 jurisdiction and not AP-09.
Old 16th September 2011, 14:37   #45
BHPian

Just to share something I noticed today with the Fiesta. There was a contionous sound that was coming from the boot. This was identified by the quality check guy at Ford service to be a manufactuiring defect on the rear shocks.

While these were being attended to (under warranty), my driver told me that the air filter hose pipe in the bonnet was broken.

When enquired with the service guys, they told me that the front left bumper had an impact and hence this led to impact on the hose pipe clip that was positioned right next to the bumper. On enquiring about the impact on the bumper, my driver told me that on his first day of work he had scrapped the side wall of the parking lot while reversing the car out.

Now, the funny thing is before we bought the Fiesta, my Palio use to stand in the same parking lot and I too had scrapped the bumper in the exact same position. (talk about coincidence )

Now, what I don't understand is that nothing in the Palio is broken but, I have to shell out 2.5 grand to replace the complete hose pipe assembly in the Fiesta.

Right from day one of the Fiesta I had issues with plastic quality in the cabin and had literally argued to death with the service guys to replace the same.

The point I am trying to drive here is that in my opinion, FORD has compromised the quality of many parts in Fiesta (old one, now known as classic) and also the Figo. If you read the thread by Finney who moved from Fiat to Ford, you can understand what I am saying.

So, before you decide on your hatch, do remember the points I have highlighted with respect to quality of Ford. I am not saying that you should buy a FIAT. This was only a camparo as I own both brands.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks