Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 11:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I hope you are going to take dad along with you for TD. Ritz is kinda a tallboy while Figo sits a bit slow. On +ve side, Figo has tonnes of space and a big boot+gizmos. Its also a fantastic handler.
ofcourse akshay, i will. i am slightly tempted towards the Ritz, compared to Figo. Look-wise, i prefer the Ritz, though the rear is bit odd. in terms of service issues, i feel Ritz will be easy and cheap. but, i intend to give both a fair chance. i currenlty own a Ford Fiesta, and i am aware of the robustness of Ford vehicles.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:43   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
If you want something fun to drive, go for the Swift/Ritz hands down. The DDiS is a gem and has quite a lot of grunt. The car feels stable at 100+ and the suspension is good too.
Not to start an argument here but Ritz is FTD and stable at 100+? Sorry but Figo is MUCH better in that dept compared to Ritz.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Not to start an argument here but Ritz is FTD and stable at 100+? Sorry but Figo is MUCH better in that dept compared to Ritz.
Haven't driven the Figo. I said that with my little experience I had with the Ritz. Drove it at around 130 and the car did feel quite stable and felt it could do a bit more.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
I feel Ritz indeed is stable and planted on the road at 100+ unless you try cornering it at that speed.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
I feel Ritz indeed is stable and planted on the road at 100+ unless you try cornering it at that speed.
I second that. And another drawback is the braking. Wish it had ABS as standard on all its variant.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 on that. Ritz is a good car but no match for a Figo. IMHO, Ride+Handling+Cornering ability+High speed stability = Figo. Really a nice car. VFM in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Ritz is stable 100+ speeds. But the "Tall boy built" comes in to effect, while cornering.

I prefer a car which is stable, handles well, have good brakes and safe. Engine has to be good in terms of longevity and should offer performance above average. I do not mind if the engine is not able to make good use of the chassis that is available. In that sense, I may look Conservative - But I definitely like Figo in this segment.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:14   #82
BHPian

I am planning to buy a diesel hatch but totally confused on what to buy.

Starting with, the new Swift Diesel VDi. Its a great car for sure. Had taken test drive too, was pleased with the way the car runs.
But i already have a Swift Vxi (2011 model), so practically i'll be buying the same car but with a diesel engine which doesn't excite me much. I mean i just don't get a new car feel while sitting in a swift vdi, every single thing is just the same.

Next comes the Ford Figo diesel.
I had a smile on my face after i test drove it.
The TDCi has no lag, its a fun to drive car, happy with the way it handles and when it comes to the price its a total Value for money car. Well theres a lot already talked about the car on other threads so there is nothing much to say.

Also visited the VW showroom for the Polo, the car indeed is a killer on looks, the inside too gives a nice feel over all.
Also did a test drive
the car is a bit noisy thats what i felt.
I did a back to back test drive for the figo and the polo and some how i liked the figo drive above the polo.
No doubt the interiors and finish of the car is best in class but the price of the car says itself if you want VFM go and take the figo.
Although had even done a test drive for the petrol at the time of buying the new swift and finally opted for the swift. Thats a different story altogether.

The i-gen i20 is just too over priced. The punto is a great looking car but what puts me off is the TATA name attached to it and others at home are not keen on even having a look at it.
Had also thought about the fabia , but the experience i had at the showroom (the one at moti nagar) pissed me off.
Ther was no one to entertain me, i had to wait for about 15 mins for someone to attend me.
When i asked the guy to tell me more about the car, he replied " sir khud dekh lo aapke aage hi hai car".
Then i already have heard a lot about the skoda after sales, so the fabia is not something i am looking for.

I don't find any other options for myself.
So experts please guide me and clear my confusion, What should i sell off and What should i Buy?

All suggestions are welcomed and correct me if i am wrong anywhere in judging the cars.

There is another confusion,
Presently i have the following in my garage :
1. 2005 Swift Lxi 1,02,000 on the odo
2. 2007 Santro Xing XO 36,000 on the odo
3. 2006 Civic 1.8S AT 1,25,000 on the odo
4 2011 New Swift VXi 4500 on the odo

I am planning to replace one of the above cars, confused whether to replace the Old Swift Lxi or the Santro Xing.

The Swift i have is the base model which lacks power windows, ABS , defogger, fog lamps etc.
But all the other basic needs are totally taken care of.
Got a after market cental locking done from Autocop. Its has a power steering, got a decent ICE system and when it comes on road, oohh boy what a car it is. Definitely doesn't give you a feel that it has a 5 digit figure on the odo.
Its a great handler, its comfortable, its stable at high speeds.
It's a Maruti, so we all know its easy to maintain and doesn't bother much.
Over all happy with the car, the only thing that bothers me is the age of the car.
Usually Dad takes this car to office and it has an average running of about 40-45 kms a day.

On the other hand, i have a Santro Xing XO which is the top model of the 2007 series, So it has a central locking system, a power steering, all 4 power windows, a defogger and even got a rear wiper.
It has just done 36,000 kms in 5 years.
The car definitely lacks the FEEL factor when it comes to driving part, not a fun to drive car when i compare it to any of the other cars in my garage.
The drive is smooth although. Got all the wheels changed last month to Apollo Acelere.
The second thing which doesn't please me is the Air conditioning system. It takes so much time to cool up the car, that sometimes i even reach my destination and the car is still hot (talking about short trips). It is something just not made for Delhi summers.
Else everything works flawless on the car.
The main thing which makes me drive this car is the ICE (a 12" JBL Sub) hehehe.
All in all still happy with the car, but i would rate it at the bottom as compared to the others i have.
Usually this car is driven by me or my sis and the average running depends on who takes the car, if its me then its about 20-30 kms a day and if its my sister then about 75-80 kms a day.

There is a big confusion in my mind as to which car should i keep and which one should i sell off.

Thank you.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik

All suggestions are welcomed
I would suggest check which one of the swift orSantro is getting a better resale. If its swift then td micra too if it's Santro then have a TD of Beat D. (oh I made the the decision process more complicated)
Old 26th April 2012, 11:18   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

The punto is a great looking car but what puts me off is the TATA name attached to it and others at home are not keen on even having a look at it.

All suggestions are welcomed
I would strongly suggest you to please visit the FIAT Cafe at Janpath with your family or visit any big TATA-FIAT showroom in your area. There are 99% chances that you as well as your family members may change their mind about Punto. Don't go with a mindset of buying it but take a test drive, if possible.

If you end up buying a Fiat, you will never regret your decision. But please do it on this weekend and share your feedback here.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 26th April 2012, 11:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
I would suggest check which one of the swift orSantro is getting a better resale. If its swift then td micra too if it's Santro then have a TD of Beat D. (oh I made the the decision process more complicated)
Lol
Got my swift valued by the ford guys, they are willing to give me 1.65 L for my swift.
Will be going for a valuation of my santro today.

I personally dont like the beat.
It's a bit cramped, specially the rear seat.
Tough the rear seat will hardly be but still the beat as a package doesn't appeal me much.
Will take a test drive of the Micra Tdi today when i'll go for the valuation thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish

I would strongly suggest you to please visit the FIAT Cafe at Janpath with your family or visit any big TATA-FIAT showroom in your area. There are 99% chances that you as well as your family members may change their mind about Punto. Don't go with a mindset of buying it but take a test drive, if possible.

If you end up buying a Fiat, you will never regret your decision. But please do it on this weekend and share your feedback here.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks lrish for the recommendation.
I will surely have a test drive of the car soon.

The car indeed appeals me when it comes to the looks.
Its a mini Maserati from the front

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th April 2012 at 12:00. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

The Ford is the car for you. It has a proven engine and the little niggles are not the types that will get you stranded on the road. It is not built like a tank but the quality is good. I have to say that no diesel hatch is a real budget hatch anymore. In my parts, the Figo sells at a shade above 7 lacs on road. It could be cheaper in your parts.

The only other worthy contender is the Fiat Punto but Fiat have blown it with the price increase. Do check it out though. It is a very good drive.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan
The Ford is the car for you. It has a proven engine and the little niggles are not the types that will get you stranded on the road. It is not built like a tank but the quality is good. I have to say that no diesel hatch is a real budget hatch anymore. In my parts, the Figo sells at a shade above 7 lacs on road. It could be cheaper in your parts.

The only other worthy contender is the Fiat Punto but Fiat have blown it with the price increase. Do check it out though. It is a very good drive.
Did a figo test drive again today.
It car gives me a great feel on the drive.
I am getting the Exi for 5.80 L on road delhi.
And the Zxi for 6.10 L
This price is without the insurance charges
So that would add another 20k.

Even got my santro valued by the ford guys, they quoted me 1.55 L

Got the same car valued at VW as well, they are giving me 1.30 for it.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:20   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Got my swift valued by the ford guys, they are willing to give me 1.65 L for my swift.
You should consider trying to sell the Swift to individual buyers. You may be able to get about 2.5L for it, unless it requires body work or any other repairs. Between the Swift and the Santro, if I were you, I would hold on the Swift - you may have the base model but when you've got 5 passengers and have to drive a long distance, it's a better choice than the Santro.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:42   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r

You should consider trying to sell the Swift to individual buyers. You may be able to get about 2.5L for it, unless it requires body work or any other repairs. Between the Swift and the Santro, if I were you, I would hold on the Swift - you may have the base model but when you've got 5 passengers and have to drive a long distance, it's a better choice than the Santro.
Thats exactly whats on my mind.
The santro is definitely a segment below the swift and is not at par with the swift at all.

But really dont know if i am getting the right price for it. The ford guys have quoted 1.55 where as VW just 1.30

They say the dicky and the bonnet of my car has been replaced and they consider it to be a accidental car.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:58   #90
Senior - BHPian

Raking up this thread after a year now, as my need for a budget diesel has again arisen owing to spiraling petrol costs and the addition of a 4th member with a DL in our family.

My TDs of last year are still fresh in my memory, but to be doubly sure, I TD'd the Beat and Figo once again, and reiterate that the needs of my son as well as me are better satisfied by the Figo Titanium.

What is more mouth-watering is that I am getting a whopping discount of 35 K over the ex-showroom price (5.7 in place of 6.05) on the existing model, including corporate discount.

I do know a new model is coming next month end, but that will not have the discount, though it is expected to have better headlamps and few more features like push button start, etc. Some issues of the current Figo might also be taken care of, but to my knowledge, I don't think there is any issue other than weak headlamps in the current model. The stalling issue seems to be settled for good by now. Can a Figo owner please update me if there is any other issue with the current model?

But a major let down with the new model seems to be the frontal look---it looks horrible compared to the current one. But that picture was taken from the ORVM, and I hope it looks better in flesh.

So the golden question is do I wait for the new model to hit the showroom and then decide? And how can I be sure it will be available next month? I don't think I can wait till November, and even if I do, one can never say when the deliveries will begin.

Any thoughts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks