Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 19:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Which diesel hatchback for a short period?

@Cliffanger, Any specific reason as to why Ritz not a part of your consideration?
It fits your bill perfectly considering the A.S.S., Power and Resalve value in case you decide to sell it in a couple of years.
Old 28th December 2011, 20:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which diesel hatchback for a short period?

If you're planning to sell it soon - look at the used car market.

It's no good buying a new car and then selling it off in < 2 yrs. Cars depreciate the most in the first 2-3 years.
Old 28th December 2011, 20:37   #63
BHPian

I faced the same problem,already driving corolla(ford in your case) and to avail tax benefits from the company wanted to buy a diesel hatch.

I tried all the options but finally settled for swift zdi. IMO it's is the finest in its category , a bit expensive tough!!!
Old 7th January 2012, 23:44   #64
BHPian

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Now I am on a look out for a diesel hatch to replace my Manza. Manza is in excellent condition and I really like it. When I bought it I was thinking about keeping it long term but a few other circumstances is forcing me to swap it for hatch.

a) My wife wants to drive, is scared by the size of my Manza and has a mental block about it being too big for her
b) With the metro construction and daily commute to office in Chennai traffic, hatch seems a better option.
c) Don't need the additional space or boot anymore and we don't travel with the entire family as often enough as I thought we would when I bought Manza.
d) Considered buying a second hand small car for my wife. Felt it is not worth it as she won't be driving very frequently to warrant a second car, no parking available at home/street for second car and don't have the time for maintaining two cars.

Know that the depreciation is going to hit me, but would be offset by the cost of second car. Secondly depreciation is going to hit me in any case at a later stage due to it being a Tata though it is unwarranted in the case of Manza.

Must haves - Safety, ABS, decent ride and good handling, refined diesel mill, good ground clearance, at least a rear defogger, higher stance, cheap to maintain and good after sales service, limited visits to the service stations

Ruled out
Vista - currently driving Manza and not another Manza (without a boot)
Punto - worried about the current state of FIAT in India, unimpressive gearing and poor after sales service
i20 - not so good handling, softer suspension, pricey. Owned Getz earlier and not another Hyundai + high maintenance cost.
Micra - don't like the interiors and Nissan after sales is a big question.
Fabia and Polo - noisy 3 pots and cost of maintenance

Close contenders but ruled out

1) Figo- Wish the car had better laden ground clearance. Have seen a few in my office, it scrapes most speed breakers when loaded with 3 people and I drive on roads which are not great. Ford after sales is not as good as MASS

2) Liva GD - Very practical but have concerns about the safety of the vehicle and a Toyota build to cost does not inspire much confidence. Wish it had the built of an Innova, and better interiors. Then I would have picked it.

3) Beat TDCI - Don't about long term ownership with Chevy and feedback about Chevy dealers in Chennai is not good. Lack of power on highways.

Final short list
Swift ZDI and Ritz VDI ABS. Heart. Getz and Manza had better ride comfort than handling. Both were more towards comfort and less towards fun to drive. Want a good handler this time.

Pros on Swift
For 1.20 L more, I get
1) alloys -15k
2) better tyre brand (MRF over JK),
3) better tyre size (R15 186 over R14 165) - Rs 15k?
4) Music system with steering controls - Rs 15-20k>
5) Airbags (cannot be upgraded on Ritz),
6) rear defogger & wiper (can ZXi' set b added?)
7) Electrical OVRM (Can Zxi's be added?0
8) More modern,
9) Steering height adjust (unavailable)
10) DIS
11) ACC
12) Fun to drive
13) Better handling
14) Better suspension
15) Looks
16) Slightly better rear bench

Pros on Ritz
Rs 1.20L cheaper than Swift ZDI (Rs 6.4L vs 7.6L)
Roomier
better boot space
split seats
smaller size
Shorter wait time
color options

Heart says Swift ZDI and head Ritz VDI ABS because of additional 1.2L and roomier. Will decide in the next couple of days.. Only issue is color option on the Swift. I love white and black but not my wife. Don't like the blue and red options in current Swift and greys are just greys.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 7th January 2012 at 23:50.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:51   #65
BHPian

Since safety is a prime concern, I suggest you to go for Swift ZDi incase you can wait.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Since safety is a prime concern, I suggest you to go for Swift ZDi incase you can wait.
But Ritz VDI also has ABS as an option. But yes, sadly, it does not have airbags.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:56   #67
BHPian

Hi Sridhar very disappointing to hear that you are planning to sell manza but still i really understand your concern . Infact you are perfectly to the atmost reflecting my mind. I also really struggle with Manza when i travel in very narrow roads. It is always not possible to travel only in straight and wide roads.

I am also in a very confused state . I also own an i10 and i normally use it in city traffic. The main problem is that she gulps huge huge amount of petrol. My average travel is around 50kms a day and my wallet is getting thinner and thinner feeding her everyday.

The main problem a Manza owner will face is the comfort in other cars. With no offence to any one i personally feel Manza is one comfort cabin that any other car. No car offers this comfort in this price bracket. My family member seriously don't prefer i10 and when i am travelling with my family it is always in Manza only.

Sorry for the long out of topic post. But anyway the choice you have made is wise and good. Both Ritz and Swift are good options. Good that you have chosen the 1.3 mill again.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th January 2012 at 18:22.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am also in a very confused state . I also own an i10 and i normally use it in city traffic. The main problem is that she gulps huge huge amount of petrol. My average travel is around 50kms a day and my wallet is getting thinner and thinner feeding her everyday.

Sorry for the long out of topic post. But anyway the choice you have made is wise and good. Both Ritz and Swift are good options. Good that you have chosen the 1.3 mill again.
With an average use of 50 kms per day, I would never have considered an i10 in the first place. Am surprised you even have a wallet in the first place, going by the thirsty i10.

At this point, I would prefer a Ritz LDI for all of the benefits listed above. It is true that a Manza, despite all its strengths, can feel incredibly large on a narrow road and this could easily intimidate a new driver.
Old 8th January 2012, 16:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
But Ritz VDI also has ABS as an option. But yes, sadly, it does not have airbags.
Even the tyres are grossly inadequate for the kind of torque DDiS engine generates.
Airbags+ 15 inch rims + 185 section tyres makes for a safer and more entertaining drive.

Interestingly Swift DDiS's low end response and NVH is superior to Ritz as well.

If you don't mind some compromise in rear seat space and boot, Swift ZDi is my advice.

Had there been a ZDi version for Ritz then things would have been different.

BTW why don't you wait for dzire CS and see how it suits your bill ? I guess it will be significantly smaller to your Manza yet that extra usable space will be there. (Boot in particular)
Old 8th January 2012, 16:02   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
With an average use of 50 kms per day, I would never have considered an i10 in the first place. Am surprised you even have a wallet in the first place, going by the thirsty i10.

At this point, I would prefer a Ritz LDI for all of the benefits listed above. It is true that a Manza, despite all its strengths, can feel incredibly large on a narrow road and this could easily intimidate a new driver.
Now I am almost using Manza completely. off late only my driving has increased to 50 kms a day. Earlier it was not even half of that, so didn't know the pressure much.

Last edited by rki2007 : 8th January 2012 at 16:08.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

Folks please help me between Figo LXI and EXI. Noticed that a premium of around 35K that i am paying between these two just for some fancy like power window and auto lock which can be very well fitted from outside i believe. I dont see any other differences between them! Kindly advice if my observation are correct!
Old 8th April 2012, 19:04   #72
BHPian

hi, i am also considering buying a diesel hatch for my dad. its going to be chauffeur driven, and the budget is 6 lacs. i have shortlisted Ritz and Figo. couldn't find any other decent hatch within this budget. Micra and Pulse were out due to poor service network. i plan to test drive both and then take final call.

thanks
Ashish
Old 8th April 2012, 19:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
its going to be chauffeur driven, and the budget is 6 lacs.thanks
Ashish
If its going to be chauffeur driven then take the one which has the best rear leg room, extremely pliant suspension with a stupendous AC. No recommendations though since I only know that the AC of the FIGO is a chiller and do not know the other factors I mentioned.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 20:16   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
hi, i am also considering buying a diesel hatch for my dad. its going to be chauffeur driven, and the budget is 6 lacs. i have shortlisted Ritz and Figo. couldn't find any other decent hatch within this budget. Micra and Pulse were out due to poor service network. i plan to test drive both and then take final call.

thanks
Ashish
I hope you are going to take dad along with you for TD. Ritz is kinda a tallboy while Figo sits a bit slow. On +ve side, Figo has tonnes of space and a big boot+gizmos. Its also a fantastic handler.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 23:03   #75
BHPian

If you want something fun to drive, go for the Swift/Ritz hands down. The DDiS is a gem and has quite a lot of grunt. The car feels stable at 100+ and the suspension is good too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks