Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:13   #91
BANNED

Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Raking up this thread after a year now, as my need for a budget diesel has again arisen owing to spiraling petrol costs and the addition of a 4th member with a DL in our family.

My TDs of last year are still fresh in my memory, but to be doubly sure, I TD'd the Beat and Figo once again, and reiterate that the needs of my son as well as me are better satisfied by the Figo Titanium.
Venu Sir,

Why not TD the rest of the segments cars like the Swift, Ritz, Polo too and then finalise on the car for the new member!

I can guarantee the Ritz and I'm very happy with the car. 1 year and 8 months clocking 70000kms without any issues and its fuel efficient too (17-19 kmpl in city and 21-23kmpl on highways)

Anurag.
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:39   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Venu Sir,

Why not TD the rest of the segments cars like the Swift, Ritz, Polo too and then finalise on the car for the new member!

I can guarantee the Ritz and I'm very happy with the car. 1 year and 8 months clocking 70000kms without any issues and its fuel efficient too (17-19 kmpl in city and 21-23kmpl on highways)

Anurag.
Thanks, but if you read the first post of this thread, the full background of why I've not considered other models is described. This apart, my whole family is averse to the shape of the Ritz (no offence).

I'd TD'd the new Swift, Beat and Figo last year, and my opinion still holds good. My son was fascinated with the Polo, but after getting to know it is a 3-cylinder engine, and has terrible turbolag and poor rear comfort, gave up the idea. And it is certainly not a budget hatch.

He was fascinated with the features of the i-20 too (tell me who is not?), but the driving dynamics and zero feedback steering put him off. And that is the costliest hatch on Indian roads now.

If we wanted to spend more money, we'd have waited a year for the Fiesta hatch, or even gone in for the EcoSport in a few months time, but what we want is a budget hatch, period!
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

Does the 35k discount include insurance? Any other freebies?
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:55   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Does the 35k discount include insurance? Any other freebies?
Yes, I am taking it under company lease scheme, and I'd be given a loan over the discounted price. No idea of freebies, but I will get the detailed quote in a couple of days, based on which I have to apply for my lease.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Well in that case bargain for some freebies too. I was negotiating prices and got around 35k (including insurance + corporate) plus extended warranty and essential pack. Push harder :-)

I am planning on a company lease too.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:51   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So the golden question is do I wait for the new model to hit the showroom and then decide? And how can I be sure it will be available next month? I don't think I can wait till November, and even if I do, one can never say when the deliveries will begin.

Any thoughts?
You could alternately wait for a month or so and check out the new Chevrolet Sail hatch. I'm sure it should be out before Diwali.

It may not sound like an attractive proposition, but there are a few things about this car that make me stand up and take notice:

- It's based on the old and now discontinued Opel Corsa Sail chassis / platform. Which is a great thing because the Corsa is known for it's exemplary road-manners and ride. Few (and probably more expensive) cars currently in the market top-that.

- The diesel engine is a proven workhorse. It's the same MJD doing duty in the Swift / Vista / Punto albeit in a different (probably for better bottom-end) state of tune.

- It's a larger hatch, about the size of an i20 I'm guessing, but it should be much cheaper. I'm guessing in the 5-7 lakh region, only just undercut by the Beat Diesel.

- Styling is inoffensive and straight-forward. So are the interiors, even though they may feel budget-ish. Think Etios Liva and you'd get the picture.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd September 2012 at 19:07.
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raking up this thread after a year now, as my need for a budget diesel has again arisen owing to spiraling petrol costs and the addition of a 4th member with a DL in our family.

My TDs of last year are still fresh in my memory, but to be doubly sure, I TD'd the Beat and Figo once again, and reiterate that the needs of my son as well as me are better satisfied by the Figo Titanium.

What is more mouth-watering is that I am getting a whopping discount of 35 K over the ex-showroom price (5.7 in place of 6.05) on the existing model, including corporate discount.

I do know a new model is coming next month end, but that will not have the discount, though it is expected to have better headlamps and few more features like push button start, etc. Some issues of the current Figo might also be taken care of, but to my knowledge, I don't think there is any issue other than weak headlamps in the current model. The stalling issue seems to be settled for good by now. Can a Figo owner please update me if there is any other issue with the current model?

But a major let down with the new model seems to be the frontal look---it looks horrible compared to the current one. But that picture was taken from the ORVM, and I hope it looks better in flesh.

So the golden question is do I wait for the new model to hit the showroom and then decide? And how can I be sure it will be available next month? I don't think I can wait till November, and even if I do, one can never say when the deliveries will begin.

Any thoughts?
Have you considered the Honda's. The diesel engined brio is supposed to be coming out soon
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. The Brio is too small for our needs, and I don't trust Honda's diesel engines.

As regards the Chevy SAIL, I don't like its interiors, and don't want to become a guinea pig for a new product. It will certainly be costlier than a Beat, and likely in the Swift zdi territory.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:14   #99
Mik
BHPian

@vnabhi: I think it makes immense sense to go for the current Figo with all its discounts unless the absence of a start/stop button and the steering mounted controls(rumoured - not sure) and a few other bells and whistles is a deal breaker.
As far as the competition goes, the only other worthy contender in the steering-feedback/ride/handling/funToDrive category is the Punto Sport. Do give it a good thought too.
In my case, after test driving/colleague_car driving almost everything on offer this side of 8 lakhs, these two cars were the winners. The VFM tag of the figo titanium (1.1 lakhs cheaper then, the difference will be more now after the discounts) made it the winner.
Confession: I still go weak in the knees on seeing a red punto so choose wisely, more with the heart and less with the mind.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:33   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Confession: I still go weak in the knees on seeing a red punto so choose wisely, more with the heart and less with the mind.
Exactly my thoughts and feelings. Even today I get week-kneed when I see a Punto.

I've read all the Punto threads on this forum, hoping that at least one of them would be niggle-free, but alas, that was not to be so.

This apart, the Punto is around a 6.9 lacs for the top end model, while the 90bhp one is 7.3 lacs ex-showroom. Too darn expensive, when compared to the lucrative 5.7 lacs offer on the Figo Titanium.

Though the Punto still tugs my heart, the following concerns forced me to ignore it:-
  1. Long clutch travel: I absolutely hate this. We drive to lots of bumper-to-bumper traffic, and this would be a pain. (Even the Beat has the clutch placed high up, causing discomfort.)
  2. Somehow dislike the interiors, like the dashboard, with the ICE jarringly contrasting it. The beauty of the car is limited to the exterior only.
  3. Noisy engine at higher speeds (unlike the Swift or Indica Quadrajet that runs with the same engine)
  4. The car with the most niggles on this forum.
  5. Infamous after sales service
  6. Turbolag, like in the Swift and i-20
  7. Large turning radius (even more than my Fiesta)

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd September 2012 at 22:35. Reason: Added a point
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:32   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Exactly my thoughts and feelings. Even today I get week-kneed when I see a Punto.

I've read all the Punto threads on this forum, hoping that at least one of them would be niggle-free, but alas, that was not to be so.

This apart, the Punto is around a 6.9 lacs for the top end model, while the 90bhp one is 7.3 lacs ex-showroom. Too darn expensive, when compared to the lucrative 5.7 lacs offer on the Figo Titanium.

Though the Punto still tugs my heart, the following concerns forced me to ignore it:-[*]Long clutch travel: I absolutely hate this. We drive to lots of bumper-to-bumper traffic, and this would be a pain. (Even the Beat has the clutch placed high up, causing discomfort.)[*]Somehow dislike the interiors, like the dashboard, with the ICE jarringly contrasting it. The beauty of the car is limited to the exterior only.[*]Noisy engine at higher speeds (unlike the Swift or Indica Quadrajet that runs with the same engine)[*]The car with the most niggles on this forum.[*]Infamous after sales service[*]Turbolag, like in the Swift and i-20[*]Large turning radius (even more than my Fiesta)
Turning radius is 5m now. Comparable to hatchbacks like polo.

Turbolag and NVH got better in my car after 15k service. I don't see any reason to complain on it now. I feel turbo lag is better than swift and i20, but not comparable to Figo/Verito.

Regarding niggles- I've faced rattle from left side door (still present), AC causing wetness in carpet mats (resolved), link rod issue (resolved), another sound from front suspension (Car with service now). May have been less with Japanese cars, but would I buy Punto again? Yes.

Regarding After-sales, there are good ones, there are bad ones. I had rated 2/5 IIRC for Concorde Chennai. But 5/5 for Mohandas Trivandrum and 4/5 for TAFE Reach Chennai. I'm used to servicing cars in one of maruti's best service centres.

I'm 5 11 tall. Clutch was a problem first few days. But, I don't remember the last time I complained of it now. Interiors are a personal choice though.

My views from my ownership experience of 6 months- 16k kms. Feel free to accept/ reject it. IMO- calling it 'most niggles reported' car and all is not advisable, unless you are speaking with data. This car is so good, You might want to change opinion later. I was one of the biggest Punto critic in this forum- till the car came into my life.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:35   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As regards the Chevy SAIL, I don't like its interiors, and don't want to become a guinea pig for a new product. It will certainly be costlier than a Beat, and likely in the Swift zdi territory.
Agreed. The interior isn't appealing at all. And even though it's got the underpinnings of a Corsa Sail, it's still a Chinese car. I know that there isn't anything wrong with it per-se, but that image wouldn't do it any good.

And I don't think it will be priced in Swift ZDi territory. 8.5 lakhs OTR will be too high a price-tag for a car that's supposedly designed and engineered to be a 'budget-automobile'.

It will be right up against the likes of the Etios Liva and the Ford Figo.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 22:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm 5 11 tall. Clutch was a problem first few days. But, I don't remember the last time I complained of it now. Interiors are a personal choice though.

My views from my ownership experience of 6 months- 16k kms. Feel free to accept/ reject it. IMO- calling it 'most niggles reported' car and all is not advisable, unless you are speaking with data. This car is so good, You might want to change opinion later. I was one of the biggest Punto critic in this forum- till the car came into my life.
Thanks for the feedback. In fact, I'd read your ownership thread from back to back a week ago, as the 90bhp Punto is what I envy.

But in spite of the better turning radius and improvements, I don't want to spend more than a lakh just to whet my appetite for good looks. I'm getting everything in the Figo except the better build and ride of the Punto.

Last edited by vnabhi : 24th September 2012 at 22:06. Reason: Typo
Old 26th September 2012, 04:00   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Turning radius is 5m now. Comparable to hatchbacks like polo.

This car is so good, You might want to change opinion later. I was one of the biggest Punto critic in this forum- till the car came into my life.
I know the pleasure that has come into your life that kicks apart the frustration of niggles. I have had at least 3-4 visits per month while owning a GTX , never bothered me really .

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. In fact, I'd read your ownership thread from back to back a week ago, as the 90bhp Punto is what I envy.

But in spite of the better turning radius and improvements, I don't want to spend more than a lakh just to whet my appetite for good looks. I'm getting everything in the Figo except the better build and ride of the Punto.
Hi , going through your comments i could make that you have been quite researchful and decisive on critical key factors . Having used Ikons and Palio 1.6 for over 7 years , I could say Ford scores over fiat in handling and the back seats . IF price difference is a criteria , ford is better I suppose.

However with my recent long drives on Punto and Figo , i dont think there is much difference in turbo lag with a full load , i felt punto is far better , the torque can be used to pleasure once you get used to it.

Fiats at the full option range would be comparable only if the driving pleasure at whole is the key decisive factor.

For your requirement , Figo looks fitting . All the best
rageshbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 09:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshbhaskar View Post
Hi , going through your comments i could make that you have been quite researchful and decisive on critical key factors . Having used Ikons and Palio 1.6 for over 7 years , I could say Ford scores over fiat in handling and the back seats . IF price difference is a criteria , ford is better I suppose.

However with my recent long drives on Punto and Figo , i dont think there is much difference in turbo lag with a full load , i felt punto is far better , the torque can be used to pleasure once you get used to it.

Fiats at the full option range would be comparable only if the driving pleasure at whole is the key decisive factor.

For your requirement , Figo looks fitting . All the best
Thanks for your feedback. Helps me a lot as you have owned both models.

I did take another look at the Punto in the Fiat/Tata showroom yesterday, and the black sports model on display was absolutely stunning (90 bhp with a red sticker on the side). The interior was also far better than what I'd seen 2 years ago. And the metal on the exterior was far thicker than any other hatch in the country.

But the darn thing costs 7.45 lacs ex-showroom, and the discount is only 15 K for company lease and 24 K for normal purchase.

As 'budget' is my aim, I don't want to spend 1.5 lakhs more than the Figo only for better looks and build (add GC to this list). I'd have surely given it a shot if Fiat A.S.S. was better, and the niggles were fewer (I've read all the ownership reports on this forum).

I do agree that the Figo has its own niggles, but most seem to have been sorted out. This apart, I have established a good rapport with Ford A.S.S. over the past 5 years by owning a Fiesta.

Regarding Fiat, I had my colleague's Palio with me for 6 months when he went abroad. It took me 2 weeks of frantic efforts among 3 dealers to get a fuel filler cap. I dread to think of similar issues if I go for another Fiat.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th September 2012 at 10:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks