Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 21:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

Guys,

I've been a regular on this forum, and have read every new car review.

But now the time has come for me to avail my company's lucrative car lease scheme and go in for a diesel hatch. Please note that I will still be using my Fiesta 1.6, as I strongly believe that no hatch can give me that kind of pleasure. I go to office only 16 to 18 days in a month (30 kms in a day), and therefore the petrol mill does not pinch me much. The plan is to give the car to my son who has recently got a job. He does drive the Waggie, but spiralling petrol costs are a deterrent. Looks like my wife will only use it, as it gives the same FE as my Fiesta.

What is pinching me is the Co lease scheme, and the fact that I've not availed of it so far tantamounts to me losing lots of money as Income Tax.
Under the circumstances, I've shortlisted the follwing diesels:-
  1. Ford Figo Titanium
  2. Maruti Swift zdi
  3. Chevy Beat
Please note that I don't want to spend too much in order to keep my EMIs low.

I've ruled out the following:-
  1. VW Polo--due to high cost and 3-cylinder engine. The light steering puts me off too. But I do agree it looks hot.
  2. Fiat Punto 90 bhp---due to A.S.S, cost and no great advantage over the FGT MJD. Also horrible plastics.
  3. Nissan Micra---cannot stand the shape, and the ugly dashboard.
  4. Vista---owing to centrally-mounted speedo (I wanna see the speed myself, and not ask my passsenger)
  5. i20---Horrible AC and beyond my budget. I also hate the turbo lag and the super-light steering.
Therefore, the final contenders are the Figo, Swift and Beat:-
  1. Beat--Like the funky shape and the dash (specially like someone's post that the rear doors are good for mother-in-law), though not the digital tacho. I also like the colour of the lights on the dash and the layout and ACC, apart from the FE. But what I don't like is the minimal boot space and the 3-cylinder engine.
  2. New Swift zdi---Looks hot both inside and out. I like the new dash and the driving seat. But I cannot see how far the bonnet extends, and I found the rear space and boot space less than a Figo. Though it is a powerful car and a good handler, I am disappointed by the 6-month waiting period and the current strike at Manesar. I am also concerned with the quality issues some people have posted about.
  3. Figo-- I like its chiller AC and great sound system, apart from the Bluetooth. Also its minimal turbo-lag and handling characteristics. This apart, there is method in the madnesss: it shares the same stalks as my Fiesta. Another positive is its great boot space. But what I am concerned about is its wafer-thin bumpers and quality issues (my colleague bought one last month and now his AC has conked off).
Keep pouring in your suggestions folks. I am also wondering why there is no review of the new diesel Swift so far on this forum.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th September 2011 at 21:51.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a budget diesel hatch---Please help

Since you already have 2 cars which cater to individual needs, I assume this car will be driven by your son alone. Also, considering that you already have a sedan and want to keep your EMI's low, I would reluctantly leave out the new Swift. If I am right, it retails close to 6L+ on road ? Between the Beat and the Figo, I would opt for the for the Figo as its more VFM.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Since you already have 2 cars which cater to individual needs, I assume this car will be driven by your son alone. Also, considering that you already have a sedan and want to keep your EMI's low, I would reluctantly leave out the new Swift. If I am right, it retails close to 6L+ on road ? Between the Beat and the Figo, I would opt for the for the Figo as its more VFM.

Thanks @Sachinji. I fully agree with the words 'reluctantly'. In fact the Swift zdi costs around 75 K more than the Figo Titanium, but offers less room at the rear and on the boot.

But the dash on the new model really looks cool. Unfortunately, there are no reviews of the new Swift DDis yet on this forum.

I tend to agree with your final recommendation. But I'd also like others to pitch in with their views.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:35   #4
BHPian

Are you prepared for the long waiting period of the new swift?

If not, Ford Titanium seems to make more sense to me. It is definitely more trusted than the Chevy Beat (Purely going by sales numbers), which translates to better reliability, easier to service/maintain, and better resale value although I don't think you would be worried about resale value as it will be on company lease.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

If not, Ford Titanium seems to make more sense to me. It is definitely more trusted than the Chevy Beat (Purely going by sales numbers), which translates to better reliability, easier to service/maintain, and better resale value although I don't think you would be worried about resale value as it will be on company lease.
You've hit the nail on the head! Is it really worth waiting 6 months for the new Swift, moreso with the quality issues that are possible on account of the strike?

I am not sure of the cycle time of my Co lease scheme, but I am told that we can seek new car purchases in Septemeber and March.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
In fact the Swift zdi costs around 75 K more than the Figo Titanium, but offers less room at the rear and on the boot.

But the dash on the new model really looks cool. Unfortunately, there are no reviews of the new Swift DDis yet on this forum.
There are two new Swift DDiS on the forum AFAIK. One is by BHPian racer_x, other by Bumblebee.

Apart from the Swift being 75k more expensive, the wait period is a downer!. Sir, with all due respect, if the car is 'mostly sole occupant', the rear leg room and the boot wouldn't really be the deal breaker.

Quote:
You've hit the nail on the head! Is it really worth waiting 6 months for the new Swift, moreso with the quality issues that are possible on account of the strike?
While I emphasis with your apprehension, I feel its not something to be overtly bothered about. More than us, MSIL would be concerned if this turns out to be true. They have far more to lose than us. After all, we, the customers are the reason for their success.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 13th September 2011 at 22:49.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Just read about the strike/quality issues with Maruti, it is really scary. Though it is tough to say how true it is! But yeah, better safe than sorry!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 13th September 2011 at 22:50.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Sachinj12 and @ Vasanthn21. I also read just now on another thread that the Swift has lost whatever positive genes it had on driveabiltiy.

I also read that Maruti is moving Swift production to Gurgaon and is hoping to deliver within 4 months.

This being the case, I guess I need to TD both the Figo and the Swfit and decide for myself.

As regards space at the rear, there could be occasions when the whole family would like to use the new car, especially becuase it is new, and also more chuckable in city traffic. And there is also the possibillity of the Waggie being sold in a year's time---it has already crossed a decade.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th September 2011 at 22:56.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also read just now on another thread that the Swift has lost whatever positive genes it had on driveabiltiy.
Which thread was that ? Whatever threads I have read so far point to excellent driveability.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I've shortlisted the follwing diesels:-
  1. Ford Figo Titanium
  2. Maruti Swift zdi
  3. Chevy Beat
Please note that I don't want to spend too much in order to keep my EMIs low.
IMHO Toyota LIVA is also worth considering. The Instrument cluster may disappoint you, but overall good car with Toyota reliability is worth considering.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go with the Ford since you already own one and are familiar with it. The Beat D is also a good package and is a very nice city car. The 3 cyl vibrations are brilliantly controlled, although the thrum is still there. Overall still a good package.

Since you say budget hatch, i'd say forget the Swift, besides you'll be waiting forever for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

You cannot campare Figo's & Beat Sales numbers since the Figo had the diesel advantage right from launch, whereas the Beat D is barely two months old.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:03   #12
BHPian

Toyota Liva Review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
Old 13th September 2011, 23:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Which thread was that ? Whatever threads I have read so far point to excellent driveability.
Some reviews on page 92 of the below thread:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...unched-92.html
Old 13th September 2011, 23:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
IMHO Toyota LIVA is also worth considering. The Instrument cluster may disappoint you, but overall good car with Toyota reliability is worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Thanks, but I dislike the point that it has a horrible dash and screams at engine rpms above 2000 (horrible over 3000). The only positives are space and driveability (apart from reliability, being a Toyota), but it is not a good handler.
Therefore, no Liva please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Go with the Ford since you already own one and are familiar with it. The Beat D is also a good package and is a very nice city car. The 3 cyl vibrations are brilliantly controlled, although the thrum is still there. Overall still a good package.

Since you say budget hatch, i'd say forget the Swift, besides you'll be waiting forever for the car.
Looks like it will be a Figo for me, but I still need to make up my mind. Apart from what I've listed, the Figo is a good handler and has a decent music system. Another positive is that it is available almost off the shelf.

I was only concerned about its AC conking off so soon for my colleague, and its wafer-thin bumpers. Thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th September 2011 at 23:12.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

You have a hatch and a sedan.
Time to get the Thar.

I mean why not!

It would complete the garage in a way that no other car can.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks