Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 01:49   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Would appreciate if few other too put in their views.

Regards
Abhishek
Maruti's K series engine is no match for the old F10d in terms of punch and the i10 is a bit long in the tooth. Why not look at the Nissan Micra Active? The car is essentially the old micra which is still a lot for the money. Comfy, well built, cute, and extremely easy to drive in the city
Old 9th November 2015, 07:53   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Need your quick suggestion. I recently booked an i10 (not grand) Sportz. I am in two minds whether to go for Stingray VXI or retain the booking.

i10 positives vs Singray: 4 cylinder engine. 1.1 L

Stingray positives vs i10: 14" Alloys, projector.

POst diwali benefits, on road price is coming to 5.5 lacs roughly for both models. I would be closing it soon, hence please do respond with your views soon.

Thanks in advance,
Abhishek.
What are the parameters for this shortlist?Is it the budget? If so, would suggest looking at the Celerio also. It is a newer car.

If you can go up to ~6L, You can also get the base + 1 or 2 variant of the new Figo/ Grand i10/Brio./swift Worth looking at.

If it has to be between stingray and i10, I would recommend the vxi(o) stingray with airbags.
Old 9th November 2015, 13:34   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Need your quick suggestion. I recently booked an i10 (not grand) Sportz. I am in two minds whether to go for Stingray VXI or retain the booking.

i10 positives vs Singray: 4 cylinder engine. 1.1 L

Stingray positives vs i10: 14" Alloys, projector.

POst diwali benefits, on road price is coming to 5.5 lacs roughly for both models. I would be closing it soon, hence please do respond with your views soon.

Thanks in advance,
Abhishek.
I would pick the i10 out of the two. Why? I feel it looks better and I prefer Hyundai over Maruti. I was going to get an i10 but then decided to get a Honda Brio. The ride quality isn't good and the boot space isn't great but apart from that the car is amazing. I feel the S(O)MT would be a good choice as it has airbags and ABS and is sensibly priced. Isn't the i10 too old though? Why aren't you considering a generation car like the grand i10? Have you considered the Bolt?
Old 17th January 2016, 21:16   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
I would pick the i10 out of the two. Why? I feel it looks better and I prefer Hyundai over Maruti. I was going to get an i10 but then decided to get a Honda Brio. The ride quality isn't good and the boot space isn't great but apart from that the car is amazing. I feel the S(O)MT would be a good choice as it has airbags and ABS and is sensibly priced. Isn't the i10 too old though? Why aren't you considering a generation car like the grand i10? Have you considered the Bolt?
I got myself a Brio in Dec 2015. Got a VMT variant for the price of SMT as there were discounts going on. Brios are built in batches so you will always get a few months old vehicle.

I think the ride quality is very good, just adjust the tyre pressure correctly. Front suspension is softer than rear which means 29 psi in front and 26 at the rear as recommended in the user manual.

There are no longer (O) versions. The versions are like this- E < S < V < VX < VXBL.
V has ABS/EBD + Alloys + Electric Adjustable mirrors
VX has Airbags + Auto Folding mirrors
VXBL has touch screen system + black interiors

Personally, I dont consider i10/Bolt in the same league as Brio. i10 Grand/i20/Swift yes. The chassis of Brio is very good which is why it handles Amaze/Mobilio also.

Rear boot space was not a concern for me as I have Ertiga as second car. I use it for going to work and occasional highway run, its fun to drive in city. I would recommend people to check out the car in showroom (no not the demo car, but the display car), Honda has made silent changes to the car and quality is much better now.

Brio is a great car if you dont want to invest too much money on your first Honda but want to get an initial taste of their cars.

Do not worry about rear hatch glass, sedans are more likely to get rear ended than hatchbacks to begin with, because they are longer. I had a swift for 10 years but never had rear accident, most were from front, so this is a 1 in a million chance, same thing can happen to a Ferrari causing expensive damages, so do not worry.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10-brio.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 17th January 2016 at 21:20.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:55   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I got myself a Brio in Dec 2015. Got a VMT variant for the price of SMT as there were discounts going on. Brios are built in batches so you will always get a few months old vehicle.

I think the ride quality is very good, just adjust the tyre pressure correctly. Front suspension is softer than rear which means 29 psi in front and 26 at the rear as recommended in the user manual.

There are no longer (O) versions. The versions are like this- E < S < V < VX < VXBL.
V has ABS/EBD + Alloys + Electric Adjustable mirrors
VX has Airbags + Auto Folding mirrors
VXBL has touch screen system + black interiors

Personally, I dont consider i10/Bolt in the same league as Brio. i10 Grand/i20/Swift yes. The chassis of Brio is very good which is why it handles Amaze/Mobilio also.

Rear boot space was not a concern for me as I have Ertiga as second car. I use it for going to work and occasional highway run, its fun to drive in city. I would recommend people to check out the car in showroom (no not the demo car, but the display car), Honda has made silent changes to the car and quality is much better now.

Brio is a great car if you dont want to invest too much money on your first Honda but want to get an initial taste of their cars.

Do not worry about rear hatch glass, sedans are more likely to get rear ended than hatchbacks to begin with, because they are longer. I had a swift for 10 years but never had rear accident, most were from front, so this is a 1 in a million chance, same thing can happen to a Ferrari causing expensive damages, so do not worry.
You got a very good deal! Had to settle for an SMT as even the S(O) was becoming a little expensive. However, I wish I had spent the extra $$$ for the additional safety features. For some reason, the rear suspension is extremely bouncy regardless of the air pressure. Asked Honda about it but they said nothing was wrong. The issue isn't too serious when I'm sitting in the front seats but my head hits the roof of handles every time the car goes over a bump. The lack of boot space isn't too big of a problem for me either, but it proved to be a bit of an annoyance while grocery shopping or going on road trips.

Bottom line is that the car is amazing, but has some minor flaws. I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement of the next gen Brio! I wonder what Honda has in store for us!
Old 18th January 2016, 14:16   #276
BHPian

I found too much lag in the low rpms on Brio. i10 is far better in this matter.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:44   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I found too much lag in the low rpms on Brio. i10 is far better in this matter.
That is because the i10 is meant to be an easy to drive city runabout which means torque in lower rpms and light steering. The Brio is meant to appeal to the enthusiast's heart. If you know how to keep the V-Tec singing, it is anyday more enjoyable than the i10
Old 18th January 2016, 18:07   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That is because the i10 is meant to be an easy to drive city runabout which means torque in lower rpms and light steering. The Brio is meant to appeal to the enthusiast's heart. If you know how to keep the V-Tec singing, it is anyday more enjoyable than the i10
True that.

I havnt felt low end torque issues, may be because i drive it solo or max one additional front passenger. It may be different with 4 passengers. I have to agree it didnt like going up the basement ramp on 2nd gear. Either you should have enough momentum or use 1st gear. Once it gained momentum there was no issue.

Overall, I have no complains regarding torque, not to mention, the way the little engine sings as you rev it to 3000rpm is music.

My Brio has done 500km and I am getting average of 16 with mix of city/highway, that is impressive and I am driving reasonably fast! Things will only get better after oil change.

Some things matter to enthusiasts like us, so I am attaching 2 screenshots. I think factors like these contribute in city driveability-

Pic 1) I particularly liked technical nitty gritties that Honda has implemented in L series that aid city driving.
Pic 2) My car is VMT variant so it is one of the reasonably loaded yet lightest of all at 915kg (partly to do with lighter alloy rims - these are lighter than cheap aftermarket ones)

Hyundai is also a good car but a flip key or engine start/stop button is not important enough feature to impress me
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10-untitled1.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by aerohit : 18th January 2016 at 18:31.
Old 21st January 2016, 07:57   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have a alternate view. Honda has lousy torque in low RPM because of its ECO mode. I had such great expectation being Honda and all, but it was bad; anything lower than 2.5k rpm is a struggle.
Old 8th February 2016, 19:46   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I have a alternate view. Honda has lousy torque in low RPM because of its ECO mode. I had such great expectation being Honda and all, but it was bad; anything lower than 2.5k rpm is a struggle.
Everyone has different opinions and I respect yours, but the Brio does not have an Eco mode button which limits performance - at least mine doesn't. Honda's aren't known for their low-end torque (or torque in general), but I don't really see why you found it a "struggle" because the car works pretty good for me. Anyway, as I said, everyone has a different opinion
Old 8th February 2016, 21:59   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Everyone has different opinions and I respect yours, but the Brio does not have an Eco mode button which limits performance - at least mine doesn't. Honda's aren't known for their low-end torque (or torque in general), but I don't really see why you found it a "struggle" because the car works pretty good for me. Anyway, as I said, everyone has a different opinion
+1 to that.

Eco mode AFAIK is an indicator, it doesn't alter, in any way, the performance to save fuel.

Brio is a good car in city, I see no issues whatsoever in keeping up with fast moving traffic or making way through busy and chaotic junctions (read Silkboard, bangalore). The nice steering and small turning radius only adding to the fun. Its all about being on the right gear.

And on open stretches, the little car turns into a different animal altogether. Like it was pointed out in official review too, Brio can keep up or put to shame cars from a segment above on highways.
Old 10th February 2016, 21:20   #282
BHPian

The sheer amount of fan following of Brio and other Hondas in Thailand tells a lot about these cars. As a fact, Thais know cars better than Indians. The per capita income is much higher, cars are not status symbol , rather a mode of transport that is fun, reliable and cool!

Population/Traffic density is very high in India. Turst me - Driving a Brio is stress free experience in city traffic. Rolling resistance is very low. Clutch is lightest. Engine sounds like electric motor at low rpm and like a growler at high rpm. The design is very technical. The only issue i found is slight lack of torque in 2nd gear, which can be overcome either by revving higher or shifting to 3rd sooner.

Last edited by aerohit : 10th February 2016 at 21:44.
Old 25th March 2016, 23:34   #283
BHPian

Which car?

Hi,

I am in the market for a really good petrol hatch for FAMILY use at less than 7L OTR Chennai with ABS and Airbags.

I have checked at all the hatch in the market all the way from Nano to Polo GT TSi.

The conditions are.

From me:
1. Should be very smooth, refined and silent. So a 4 cylinder is critical. This actually eliminated all 3 cylinders like micra, polo and others.
2. Should be reasonably powerful enough to help cruise at 120 kmph without much of stress. This also eliminated the likes of punto.
3. Should give decent mileage in the likes of 15 kmpl.
From my better half:
1. Should have Airbags and ABS

Originally when I checked few weeks back, I was told that Ritz is available and the Zxi variant with all bells and whistles costs 6.3L OTR after the discounts. Then later on when I pressed I came to know that the petrol ritz production was stopped and they were happy enough to suggest me that I can choose a wagon R or celerio. To add to the comedy they even suggested getting a "T" board ritz (), Every one was comparing the ritz to wagon R or celerio. No one I interacted even had the faintest clue that ritz and swift had the same engine. No one possibly suggested me for swift.
When I asked for swift they gave me a price of 7.45L OTR with 8k as discount.
The attitude from Honda was so so..They gave me a price of 7.8L OTR for Jazz and told me that brio is priced close to 7L OTR.
This made me relook at Grand i10. The response I got from Hyundai dealers were far better and they were consistent enough to follow me without getting too obtrusive.
Now I am thinking of going for Grand I10 Asto (o). Its coming to around 6.8L OTR.

Is that a right decision? Will it satisfy all my needs?

Barath
Old 26th March 2016, 00:22   #284
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi,

I am in the market for a really good petrol hatch for FAMILY use at less than 7L OTR Chennai with ABS and Airbags.

The conditions are.

From me:
2. Should be reasonably powerful enough to help cruise at 120 kmph without much of stress. This also eliminated the likes of punto.

Now I am thinking of going for Grand I10 Asto (o). Its coming to around 6.8L OTR.

Is that a right decision? Will it satisfy all my needs?

Barath
Grand i10 is a good car, great interiors, reasonably priced and all. BUT before you go in for one, why don't you take a Grand i10 out for a spin on the highway (request the dealership or ask someone who owns one) and cruise with it at 120 kph along with a few lane changes. If you find it okay, then go for it. For me personally the experience was scary. I have spent most of my childhood karting, had extensive track experience after that, have owned only petrol manual cars and driven them all my life, and had many unmentionable adventures with them. I am usually calm and composed about my abilities to handle a car in any state but I kid you not, taking a turn at city speeds (about 50 a long sweeping right) itself, was quite unnerving. There is absolutely no feedback. Nothing whatsoever. We managed to take the turn without a fuss but I lost confidence in being able to hoon around with it (it was a friend's car and we were driving around late at night). Mind you I'm the kind of guy that doesn't even spare my 12 year old 1.5lakh km done Wagon R when it comes to hooning I simply cannot imagine steadily cruising at 120 on our unpredictable highways in a Grand i10. If at all something pops up and I am required to make some high-speed maneuver, I am not sure I want to be caught in such a situation in a car that I can never be fully confident in. That said I have seen people drive their Vernas on the limit without breaking sweat so what applies to me may not apply to you. Just check it out is all I am saying.

For Highway stints I would suggest the Punto followed by the Brio (only issue with the Brio is the need to work the gearbox not just for performance but also for more rolling resistance and engine braking) or Swift and then the Ritz

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th March 2016 at 00:37.
Old 26th March 2016, 00:31   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi,

Why don't you go in for the baleno? The Delta variant also has dual airbags and the mid variant onwards they have abs as well. You can compromise on a few things like alloys over a grand i10 and get a car that is fresh in the market, is half a segment above, better high speed stability and better handling. You may have to wait for a couple of months but it suits your requirement the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks