Team-BHP - Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/108492-honda-brio-vs-hyundai-i10-2.html)

Krishna, you have said "we" but have not mentioned if the car is going to have 1-2 passengers or a whole family. I was earlier considering to buy i10 or Brio but cancelled them both for the following reasons-
1. They don't have much to boast about rear seat or boot. Not for family.
2. Both have poor ride quality over broken roads.
3. Both don't seem very safe to drive on highway and on hill stations.

Hence, I went for a Ford Figo petrol whose review can be seen here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-petrol.html

While most people will mention that i10 and Brio have more performance than Figo, you will notice that both i10 and Brio lack low RPM performance. You should decide if you prefer low RPM performance more or high RPM performance more.

This is a real tough one not just for you, but for all the prospective buyers in the coming months. They are pretty much even-stevens.

IMO, fix your budget. Then the choose the trim of either vehicle that gives maximum buck for your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90BHP (Post 2522350)
It's a very tough competition with so many cars in the market competing for the small segment cars. The Brio & the i10 are almost head to head at every aspect. Now, with the Eon coming in, we have one more choice added on to your dilemma, do test the car before you take the plunge for the others.

This is my 15 point personal rating for your 2 choices:

Engine - Equal
Brand Image - Brio
Drive ability - Brio
Suspensions - Brio
Novelty Quotient - Brio
Handling - Brio
Interiors - Brio
Pricing - Brio
Space - i10
Mileage - i10
Features - i10
Widespread, Cheaper & Reliable A.S.S - i10 (Honda's don't break down but, when they do it hurts !)
Automatic Option - i10
Ease of Ingress/Egress - i10

So final verdict:

Brio - 8
i10 - 7

Looks like i10 toh Brio, I mean gayo !

PS: But, if I were you I would invest a little more & go for the Jazz, its a much much more fun car to drive & won't pinch too big a hole in your pocket too !

my 15 cents
Engine - Brio
Brand Image - Brio
Drive ability - Brio
Suspensions - i10
Novelty Quotient - Brio
Handling - Brio
Interiors - i10
Pricing - Brio
Space - Brio
Mileage - Brio
Features - i10
Widespread, Cheaper & Reliable A.S.S - i10 (Honda's don't break down but, when they do it hurts !)
ergonomics - i10
Ease of Ingress/Egress - equal

Brio: 8
i10: 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsCry (Post 2522392)
3. Both don't seem very safe to drive on highway and on hill stations.

Care to clarify how can you make this claim ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 2522483)
Care to clarify how can you make this claim ??

Sorry mate, this is not a claim but just my feeling. Hyundai i10 gets scary at speed of just 90kph. The poor handling coupled with thin and small tyres makes the matter even worse.

Brio's frame might be as strong as Honda claims it to be but one can't deny that crumple zones are very important in protecting passengers in case of an accident. And, from pics, I don't see any scope for crumple zones.

It was not my intention to start a flame war, so please let's not start one. I am sorry if I hurt someone stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsCry (Post 2522519)

Brio's frame might be as strong as Honda claims it to be but one can't deny that crumple zones are very important in protecting passengers in case of an accident. And, from pics, I don't see any scope for crumple zones.

It's funny to see how you've arrived at the conclusion that the crumple-zones in the Brio aren't effective enough, just by looking at the pictures.

:confused:

I would bank on the Brio's crumple-zones to protect its occupants better than cars of similar size. Hondas achieve stellar ratings in crash-tests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2522571)
I would bank on the Brio's crumple-zones to protect its occupants better than cars of similar size. Hondas achieve stellar ratings in crash-tests.

Imagine an Indian truck crashing into Brio from behind.

Due to high ground clearance of the truck, it will not be stopped by Brio's rear wheels. So, will the truck move ahead into Brio's rear compartment without any obstruction? :eek:

The OP said the choice was between i10, Brio and Figo but this thread has tuned out to be i10 vs Brio, no one is taking about Figo. Does it not stand a chance at all as far as the comparison is considered.

Honda is not very well know at making mass segment cars, this will be the first attempt through Brio. We already know that Toyota too entered the market with Liva but the features, quality did not have the Toyota mark. So then what makes Brio special, just because its from Honda stable. I would anytime prefer a model which suits my requirments rather than just the brand image.

So for me it would be either i10 or Ford Figo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2522742)
The OP said the choice was between i10, Brio and Figo but this thread has tuned out to be i10 vs Brio, no one is taking about Figo. Does it not stand a chance at all as far as the comparison is considered.

Rightly pointed out. It does seemed to miss out from many and I also kind of overlooked it being in consideration. Seriously, it surely stands a chance based upon what perspectives Krishna is looking at. Figo is superb package at the cost which nobody has been able to beat. Just hope it does not carry Ford's niggles with it, spares costs too seem to be lowered a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2522742)
Honda is not very well know at making mass segment cars, this will be the first attempt through Brio. We already know that Toyota too entered the market with Liva but the features, quality did not have the Toyota mark. So then what makes Brio special, just because its from Honda stable. I would anytime prefer a model which suits my requirments rather than just the brand image.

So for me it would be either i10 or Ford Figo.

Both Honda and Toyota are used to making high quality small cars but not for Indian market at the price points it demands. This is their first foray into Indian market. So I think it is natural that there would be some cuts here and there but not on the basic quality of the car, namely engine, safety, reliability and support. Brio indeed seems to be a fab car the way it is made with minimal cuts. Unfortunately Toyota did not have their senses on place to make atleast Liva to the tune of making one good positive of driveability like Etios Petrol which could have sealed its position higher up inspite of negatives it has.

You do say rightly that "prefer a model which suits my requirments rather than just the brand image" and so should one choose one that suits best to the requirements. But if with a few misses the Brand also becomes affordable then people are tempted to think otherwise too.

All in all, Figo is superb on loads of space, driveability (decent and not a driver's car so to say), good in both city and highway conditions, only minor hitches being the fit and finish. But then the price kills it all. At the price it offers what nobody can in this or higher ranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsCry (Post 2522582)
Imagine an Indian truck crashing into Brio from behind.

Due to high ground clearance of the truck, it will not be stopped by Brio's rear wheels. So, will the truck move ahead into Brio's rear compartment without any obstruction? :eek:

This is a genuine concern. If you sit in the back seat and turn back, you will see the rear glass to be so close (due to the slant). It makes you feel very vulnerable. In india, it is very common to see cars with broken tail lamps and dented rear hatch. In Brio, you have the glass at the same height.
Even in the showroom, I heard people discussing about how safe the rear glass is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2522828)
This is a genuine concern. If you sit in the back seat and turn back, you will see the rear glass to be so close (due to the slant). It makes you feel very vulnerable. In india, it is very common to see cars with broken tail lamps and dented rear hatch. In Brio, you have the glass at the same height.
Even in the showroom, I heard people discussing about how safe the rear glass is.

Has Brio gone through any of those european safety tests? I don't think Honda will commit a mistake on that front. Adequate testing of all those scenarios would have been done IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2522849)
Has Brio gone through any of those european safety tests? I don't think Honda will commit a mistake on that front. Adequate testing of all those scenarios would have been done IMHO.

Crash tests are normally done for frontal impact, offset collision, side collision, roll over etc. Not too sure if it involves rear ending (ideally it should)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2522867)
Crash tests are normally done for frontal impact, offset collision, side collision, roll over etc. Not too sure if it involves rear ending (ideally it should)

Rear airbags? :)

Is sheet metal much stronger than toughened glass? Is it really safer with sheet metal - I am not so sure. But I have no degrees around this to comment..

Add:
Short Length: Brio > i10
Turning radius: Brio > i10

But I need an AT for my wife. Why does Brio not have an AT? Why oh why oh why???:Frustrati

Check out the slides from Brio presentation here.
It does have some rear crash tests and are projected to be safe

Also I second Suhaas, that you cannot tell about crumple zones from a picture. They form the architectural frames of the body which is not visible. Also Brio passes Japan, Europe tests.