Team-BHP - Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/108492-honda-brio-vs-hyundai-i10-20.html)

My uncle bought a Brio (S MT) couple of weeks back to replace his aging Wagon R.
Initial observations vs my 2009 i10 are as follows:

1. Brio looks small from outside but is big in width. It takes more width to park than i10/Wagon R.

2. That width is translated to good rear seat space. 3 people can actually sit comfortably on the Brio rear seat.

3. However, head space is not good in the rear seat of the Brio - my wife complained that she touched the headliner with her head while on the rear seat. She's 5'5". i10 has no such issues.

4. Drivewise - it is difficult to say as my i10 is AT and the Brio is MT. However, the Brio 3rd gear is awesome as it can hold @ 20km/hr without lugging and can be used all the way up to 60km/hr, however it would be prudent to upshift for FE purposes.

5. Ease of entry - i10 is much better due to it's tallboy design. You sit 'in' the i10 but 'sit down into' the brio. Me/my uncle are 5'8" and we have to have the seat at the lowest level in Brio to not hit the (non tilt) steering wheel during entry/exit.

6. The Brio absorbs potholes better with it's 175/65 R14 tires than the i10 - and my i10 has upsized 185/60R14 tires.

7. Interior plastics - either hard or flimsy on the Brio - much better plastic quality in the i10.

Guess the 'i10 vs Brio' title should be changed to 'Grand i10 vs Brio' now as the i10 has been relegated to a lower price point with lesser features now.

Hello everyone!

I'm preferring Grand i10 (MT, to save on cost) over Brio for my wife for following reasons:

- Refined, well built, quality interiors
- Reasonable FE is fine (low running of 4K km/year)
- Comfortable ride, adequate driving dynamics (only city commutes)

Few questions:

1) Which of these is good in terms of long term reliability, minimal maintenance cost, and peace of mind? Does the Brio have an edge -- if yes, how far behind is i10?

2) Does Brio have a (much) better OEM sound system than the i10? I don't plan to upgrade, but love music on the drive. (Didn't get a chance to test this on my brief test drives)

3) Apparently facelifts are due for both, with Brio getting a significant one. Are there any specific dates that are known/expected so that I can make up my mind on waiting?

Anything else I seem to be missing?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla (Post 4038946)
1) Which of these is good in terms of long term reliability, minimal maintenance cost, and peace of mind? Does the Brio have an edge -- if yes,
how far behind is i10?

With the Korean cars getting more reliable, I don't think this should matter to an extent to which it'll be the deal-maker.
Perception says Honda Brio is from a Japanese manufacturer and be more reliable. I could be wrong too.

Quote:

3) Apparently facelifts are due for both, with Brio getting a significant one. Are there any specific dates that are known/expected so that I can make up my mind on waiting?
I think early September is when the Brio will get the facelift. It should be worth waiting for it.

Regarding ICE, why not fix any aftermarket system?

I recently sold my i10 and bought a Brio. Here are some thoughts:

Brio is the most underrated car. Honda itself doesnt support it properly. I feel they are loosing money on the car therefore they dont make an effort to sell more of them, otherwise it would perform better than all the small hatchbacks around.

Its definitely wider than the i10 and that helps it stay planted at speed and also space for 3 to sit comfortably at the rear. I find it surprising that a 5'5' person found it tight. I have had people upto 5'10 at the back and they have had no problems with the headroom.

Interior plastic quality also i found better than the i10. My i10 had parts breaking off, and even the durability of parts was worse in the i10.

My i10 served me well but it required constant maintenance, the Brio so far has been maintenance free.

As i said previously, Honda and its dealers have a better commission on the Jazz and Amaze therefore the Brio is least pushed for sale otherwise its a great product.

If you read the JD power ratings the Brio is the best manufactured small car with least problems.

Hyundai cars require lot of maintenance after 2-3 years while Honda doesnt have that problem.

The only issue i find with my Brio is that it feels slightly underpowered in the AT trim, i miss the rear wiper and the sunroof that i had in my i10.

i10 used to bounce around a lot and wasnt very sturdy while Brio handles it better its not very good either but its definitely better ride than the i10.

I changed my tyres to Michelin as soon as i bought the car so that the nonsense Goodyears were gone.

@sureshaddagalla:

I suggest you go for the Honda Brio but wait for the facelift. While the OEM system is good but there is no CD so you have to connect your ipod, iphone or android however the system is still decent. I have the same system in my City and havent felt the need to upgrade but then i dont play loud music. In the Brio i got a good deal so i bought the Honda AVN and installed it, its an Alpine Unit and im so far happy with everything except the Navigation, i think i need to upgrade the maps.

If you have a bigger budget i suggest the Jazz only because it has more space and the Magic Seats and the fact that it has rear wiper as well. It would handle highway better and Honda supports it more than the Brio.

Brio i bought because i genuinely loved the car and its design ever since its launch, so i bought the Brio (had no budget limitations so could have bought the Jazz but liked the Brio).

Reliability wise i would prefer a Honda over a Hyundai any day. I have a 6 year old Honda City with zero problems while my i10 needed constant maintenance starting 2nd year itself.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

I have bought the Brio VX AT and added these OEM accessories: Spoiler, Hand rest, Honda AVN and the car feels 95% complete. Dont have any other modifications planned except if i could add Rear Wiper and change the Engine to the City's 1.5 unit.

A friend FrankMehta has done it recently on his Brio and you can view his thread on the forum and the car has become a proper car now no under powering anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla (Post 4038946)
I'm preferring Grand i10 (MT, to save on cost) over Brio for my wife for following reasons:

Did you try to buy a current (old?) Brio ? Apparently, they are mostly sold out at dealers and they have no clue when a new stock is due.
So thats another reason to buy a Grand i10 over the Honda.

We have the Honda Brio ( in fact bought just 3 months back) and an i10 ( not Grand the previous generation ) in the house. But for the weaker Air conditioner the Brio would beat the i10 in all departments.

Small - You just have to sit inside a Brio to believe. Its actually wider than the i10.
Now if you come to the Grand i10 its a lot more plusher on the inside. But a manual transmission Brio can give you loads and loads of fun for the price.

Brio scores very high on reliability in terms of part failures. It betters even the legendary Innova as per a report that I had seen right here on TBHP.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Took a ride on Brio today and contrary to my own expectation, it was a bit underwhelming.

- I expected the i-vtec engine to be super silent, but it had a prominent noise even at low/medium revs. The salesperson said that the test drive car is typically abused (it had 14K on the odo), but I'm not fully sure if he's right. Can people comment on this?

- Of course it was more fun to drive than i10, and it felt more spacious. But apart from these two, I didn't find anything that's better than i10 in my short drive. Brio might be better at reliability etc. but I'm just talking about drive experience here.

Looks the V-trims are already out of stock. Salesman was sure about Sep/early Oct release of the facelift and said they would definitely release to cash on the festive season.

Thanks

For ~5L rupees which MT city car is good, with tall seating and good low end?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4222418)
For ~5L rupees which MT city car is good, with tall seating and good low end?

Ignis would be the best bet as it comes with all the safety features and a 4 cylinder 1.2 litre engine. Checks your tall seating requirement too. You may even get some discounts.

From the official Ignis car review

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 4183281)
Driving the 1.2L Petrol MT

As we have seen earlier, the 1.2L K-series is a gem of a motor and the Ignis is the lightest car to use it in the Maruti stable. Therefore, the engine feels more sprightly than it does in other Maruti's. Throttle response is very crisp. The Ignis moves off from a standstill easily and offers good driveability in the city. The engine's low rpm behaviour will satisfy most drivers and you can potter around town in 5th gear at 50km/h with the engine ticking over lazily at 1,500 rpm. There is adequate power on offer and even when you need to close a gap quickly, you won’t feel the need to downshift. Keeping up with city traffic is no trouble for the 1.2L petrol. This low-speed behaviour coupled with small size, light controls, good frontal visibility and sorted ergonomics make the Ignis a very good car for driving in the city.

Stretch a bit, and you can also get Baleno Sigma, though expect waiting to be substantially higher, with 0 discounts.

Grand i10 is a good car, but what I really, really dislike about it is that only top variants come with both ABS and Dual Airbags, which is standard on Ignis and Baleno.

Figo Ambiente would be another option, but its petrol engine is not match for the others mentioned here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autorahul (Post 4222446)
Ignis would be the best bet as it comes with all the safety features and a 4 cylinder 1.2 litre engine. Checks your tall seating requirement too. You may even get some discounts.
Stretch a bit, and you can also get Baleno Sigma, though expect waiting to be substantially higher, with 0 discounts. .

The issue with Ignis is, its design and price. The top end variant is decently equipped, others feel terribly under equipped. And it will be a good ~8L OTR. To be fair, I don't want to spend more than 6.

Baleno would be too low and wide for my intended usage.

How I wish, the WagonR came with the 1.2K motor or with the older 4 cylinder engine. Or the Santro was still in production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4222533)
The issue with Ignis is, its design and price. The top end variant is decently equipped, others feel terribly under equipped.

And that is the very reason I suggested the base Sigma variant, which is for 4.7 lakhs ex-showroom, and is decently equipped for a 1.2 litre car at that price. Even Delta is a decent value for money at 5.3 lakhs ex-showroom. The problems with Ignis start with Zeta variants when they start overcharging.

I don't think you will find many 1.2 liter cars with below features at 5.3 lakhs ex-showroom, which are there in Ignis Delta
  1. Dual Airbags
  2. ABS
  3. Electrically adjustable ORVMs
  4. Stereo with Bluetooth
  5. Steering mounted controls
  6. Remote Keyless entry

The comparable Magna model of i10 priced at 5.4 lakhs ex-showroom is lacking 3.5 out of these 6 very useful features in my opinion. :deadhorse

Looks are a subjective matter, but if you can get over them, you can get a very good all round car for your price.

If you can wait for few months, the new Swift, should be at similar price point as Ignis, and might satisfy you more on looks. Else you might want to compromise a bit of engine and check out Figo. With some good pre-GST offers, you might even be able to get the loaded Titanium variant in 6 lakhs.

To make it simple -

If someone already have a bigger vehicle and want a 2nd car, then BRIO all the way.

But if its going to be the only car, then Brio may not be ideal as it has less storage space in the rear and not really a family car (its an enthusiasts car).

According to internal data collected by Honda in India, almost all Brio buyers were upper middle class who already had another car.

Other things-

Brio has hydraulic clutch (superior) - i10 has cable clutch.

Brio has EBD (top model), i10 doesnt.

i10 may have more other fancy features though. Also, i10s doors feel more heavier.

Brio offers less fatigue even during long journeys. i10 should also be fine. Swift gives highest fatigue - due to claustrophobic interior and crude, mass market build. Usually, once people migrate from Maruti to Honda, they never come back to Maruti even if it is entry level Honda. Not saying they are bad but Honda engineering feels slightly better than Maruti and even Hyundai.

Yes, Brio is not the fastest car on the road, but it doesnt matter in India, just drive it like a 'cruiser', hear the engine sing in 2-3-4 gear and enjoy the drive.

An enthusiast should never buy a Jazz because its power to weight ratio is poorer in 1.2L form.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit (Post 4222764)
To make it simple -

If someone already have a bigger vehicle and want a 2nd car, then BRIO all the way.

In case you replied to my query, Brio doesn't work out.

There are rumors of Brio being discontinued. Brio has low seating and not very good low end.

I just wish, WagonR came with the 1.2K engine.