Team-BHP - Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/108492-honda-brio-vs-hyundai-i10-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadhuG (Post 2531153)
WoW! What a car.

So, the Brio has impressed you more than i10. I think that you can safely choose Brio over i10. This way, your heart wins. I can't see anything in i10 which is better than Brio so your head wins too.

Go for Brio! clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2522001)
The Brio with ABS & Airbags is cheaper than the i10 (with ABS & Airbags).

With the always ON discounts on the i10 (currently near 35-40k), the 1.2 Asta without sunroof works out to be about 20k cheaper than the Brio V.

Quote:

I must add that I'm pleasantly surprised with the Brio's competitive pricing.
I am not at all surprised with the pricing. It was very much predictable with the revised Jazz prices in place before the Brio launch. They definitely needed to to maintain about 60k difference than the comparable variant of the Jazz.

The Jazz has bigger tyres, defogger, wiper, wheel well cladding, better ICE, reclining seats, magic seats, more steel, more glass bits, slightly better trim and interior design and ultimately big premium car feel. All this is justified enough to command a near 60k premium or vice-versa. The same very much holds true for i10 and i20, swift and desire (here boot adds/commands some more premium value in INR terms as it moves from hatch to sedan - "big car feel"), where the power plants and major components remain same.

Had the difference been 30k between Jazz and Brio or the brio would be priced 30k more ignoring Jazz presence, the Brio would not sell as it would fall in the Swift segment which it cannot beat in any way at that price. The Brio needed/needs to maintain a substantial difference than the Swift. However the S(O) model makes safety much more affordable than the Swift which is a very good USP for the Brio in comparison to the Swift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadhuG (Post 2525416)
Dear BHPians,
I was talking to a couple of my friends who own a Jazz and they vouch by its FE which they is around 14-15 in the city. So If honda says that the FE of Brio would be 18, it would definitely give 15... Hence on the Fe part, I feel Brio would be better than the i10.

A friend purchased the i10 around 7-8 months back, and used to constantly crib about the FE. On the Gurgaon- Chandigarh run it would give him no more than 12 to 13 KMPL. Is it really so bad?
And if that indeed is the case, then the Brio should be a no brainer IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 2538583)
A friend purchased the i10 around 7-8 months back, and used to constantly crib about the FE. On the Gurgaon- Chandigarh run it would give him no more than 12 to 13 KMPL. Is it really so bad?

The i10 Kappa will give a mileage of 16+ on the highways if driven sensibly (Read 100-120 in 5th) - The mileage does fall sharply if you keep the engine in high rev bands (Doing 120 in 4th or Pushing the car to ~150). I guess the Brio should be atleast 20% better in terms of FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adisag (Post 2538682)
I guess the Brio should be atleast 20% better in terms of FE.

This would be surprising as the ARAI rates the i10 at near 2kmpl more than the Brio.

But as the news in the market go, Honda 1.2 is known to be very fuel efficient while i10 does not seem to deliver the expected is some cases at-least.

Quote:

The i10 Kappa will give a mileage of 16+ on the highways if driven sensibly (Read 100-120 in 5th) - The mileage does fall sharply if you keep the engine in high rev bands (Doing 120 in 4th or Pushing the car to ~150). I guess the Brio should be atleast 20% better in terms of FE.

Hey do you think driving i10 anything above 100km/h is safe? Safe = confidant drive. I haven't driven any of Hyundai's new bread of cars but did feel that Accent was all over anything above 100km/h. I may be wrong though!

Brio being wide and not that tall like other 'tall boy's' seems more stable for high speed driving compared to i10.

:OT My Punto 1.4 gives 16km/l on highway, so I feel Brio/i10 should manage at least 18km/l if not more.

The i10 is good till a maximum speed of 100-120 on a good road - anything above that and it feels skittish - though I do believe upgraded tires will up the limit (but will reserve an answer till I've experienced it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 2538583)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 2538696)
This would be surprising as the ARAI rates the i10 at near 2kmpl more than the Brio.

But as the news in the market go, Honda 1.2 is known to be very fuel efficient while i10 does not seem to deliver the expected is some cases at-least.

Fuel economy largely depends on road conditions and driving styles. These FE figures of any one car can vary significantly between driver to driver, even along the same route.

Many have been complaining about poor FE figures on the I10. On my i10, however, I have almost always got FE figures of 17 kmpl to 19 kmpl under 50:50 inter/intra city drives here in Goa. Some on this forum have even suggested that roads in Goa are more conducive to better FE figures. That said, some owners here in Goa have been complaining of poor FE figures on their I10. So I guess, it all depends on the road conditions as well as driving styles.

It is true that i10 FE is best around the 70-90 kmph in 5th gear. If you are to be within this range for a considerable time, chances are high that you would get a good FE. But then this "70-90 kmph in 5th gear for good FE" rule applies to most cars, in my opinion.

My advice? Don't go by these ARAI FE figures alone. It also depends on your driving style and the road condition.

Besides merely FE figures, it is the DEALER experience that can attract or detract a potential buyer. Since both cars (Brio and i10) are competent in their own right, check out which dealer gives you a better experience. After all, you buy the car once; you are then likely to visit the dealer multiple times during the ownership of your car.

There have been instances where the car has been good, but dealer experience is pathetic (example: Tata dealers here in Goa).

Quote:

Originally Posted by misquitas (Post 2538846)
Fuel economy largely depends on road conditions and driving styles. These FE figures of any one car can vary significantly between driver to driver, even along the same route.

It does depend to a noticeable extent I agree. For instance, the instant economy indicator on some vehicles can alter your driving style significantly enough, upto 20% would be a safe assumption.

But for some reason, I have heard i10 owners complain way too often, and mention the 12-14 KMPL range too many times for me not to believe so. In fact that's the FE I have begum to associate with the i10 lately, it's surprising to hear fellow team BHPians suggest otherwise.

The Brio one on the other hand has to be frugal. When an ANHC given 15 KMPL easily on highways, shouldn't expect anything less than 16-18 for a smaller engine on such a light vehicle.

Another aspect that comes to my mind is, the ARAI figures are for ideal situation, but do these cars show different fuel consumption pattern when driven at similar RPM's?

This is the FE that our Jazz returned on 80% highway and 20% city runs, in the last 6 days.

Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10-p1000457.jpg

Of course, it was loaded to the brim with 4 suitcases and a few other bags, and not to mention 4 adults. The car was driven in the 80-120 km/h bracket for the most part. If one doesn't load the car up with luggage, you could expect that figure to jump to 19-21 km/l. And it has, on a previous occasion.

Now the Brio is powered by the same 1.2 iVtec engine, and is about 150 kgs lighter, I think. And the Brio's gearbox has been tweaked for city-driving. So that would mean higher torque at lower revs. And that means you don't have to rev the nuts off it to get it going, like you have to in the Jazz. So you do the math!

I think the ARAI's FE figures for the Brio are bang-on, if not close!

A friend of mine owned an i10, before she sold it for a brand new Beat. She claimed that she got only 10-12 km/l from it. It was a brand new car and driven only for two years. She wasn't happy with it at all.

Although I should mention, it was the old i10 that she had. I don't know how different the new one is from the old one, in terms of engineering and technology.

Also, I'd like to mention that the i10 doesn't feel as stable as the Brio. I haven't driven the Brio yet, and it's an observation based on reviews. I've driven the i10 though, and when compared to my Santro, it feels a whole lot more plush and upmarket. But I didn't feel much of a difference around corners! They handle similarly.

I am an i10 owner (1.2 kappa Sportz) and the FE I get in city driving here in Bangalore is only around 11-12.5 (depending on AC use). And I am not a spirited driver in any sense, always make sure to use 10x rule for gearing, never go beyond 60-70 kmph etc etc. Most of the times I am around 2000 rpm mark. I use normal petrol (HP/Shell). FE has been religiously monitored. It has never given me more than 14 even when I had highwayish runs (to the airport and back/ on Mysore highway). The ARAI figures are just improbable numbers, maybe Hyundai greased them. Anybody getting over 15, I have to say they are incredibly lucky owners and I am jealous of them.

Coming back to Brio/i10 debate, my father just booked a Brio few days back. i10 wasnt considered as I vetoed it! Too skeptical of the FE, and my i10 just rattles real bad. The paid service is really costly as well (my last two bills were both in excess of 4.5k+) and Hyundai took 4 days to once replace my front windscreen! Not so great experience so far with my Hyundai really.

By the way why isint WagonR in contention here?

If fuel efficiency of i10 vs Jazz/Brio is being considered, is not it obvious that Brio/Jazz is a clear winner?

:OT

In my opinion, Brio and Jazz have highest mileage in India as far as petrol are considered (though proof for Brio has yet to come). One might throw in cars like Tata Nano but load it with 4 passengers and a few luggage and it will have hard time giving two digit mileage figure. Right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by avisidhu (Post 2538876)
But for some reason, I have heard i10 owners complain way too often, and mention the 12-14 KMPL range too many times for me not to believe so. In fact that's the FE I have begum to associate with the i10 lately, it's surprising to hear fellow team BHPians suggest otherwise.

The Brio one on the other hand has to be frugal. When an ANHC given 15 KMPL easily on highways, shouldn't expect anything less than 16-18 for a smaller engine on such a light vehicle.

May be, my sedate driving style has helped my i10 FE figures. Having said that, I agree with you that all things equal, a "smaller engine on such a light vehicle" of the Brio hould return better FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2538892)
A friend of mine owned an i10, before she sold it for a brand new Beat. She claimed that she got only 10-12 km/l from it. It was a brand new car and driven only for two years. She wasn't happy with it at all.

I'm curious to know what FE your friend has been getting on the Beat. Has it been much better than the 10-12 kmpl she got from her i10?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2538892)
Also, I'd like to mention that the i10 doesn't feel as stable as the Brio. I haven't driven the Brio yet, and it's an observation based on reviews. I've driven the i10 though, and when compared to my Santro, it feels a whole lot more plush and upmarket. But I didn't feel much of a difference around corners! They handle similarly.

The i10 does seem upmarket compared to the Santro, but may be comparable to the Brio. Regarding stability, I would not be in a position to compare it to the Brio as I am yet to drive the Brio.

Perhaps, the only two aspects (on paper) that would give the i10 a slight advantage over the Brio are these:

1. i10 is a tried and tested product and has had a loyal following for quite some time. Moreover, i10 is Hyundai's flagship product (as of now, but it could well be displaced by the Eon) and Hyundai seems to take extra care to see to it that the i10 is pampered with the latest engine and fitments. For example, the Kappa 1/2 came to the i10 first, while the i20 still has the Kappa 1 (if I am not mistaken). Also, the i10 had the first fluidic face-lift in the product line, while the other siblings have got it / are getting it much later.

If you have to go for the Brio, wait a few months till the niggles (if any) are sorted out.

2. Better pan India service coverage. At present, Hyundai has a better network of dealers and service stations than Honda, to ensure that you are never too far from a tilted "H" service centre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misquitas (Post 2538973)
If you have to go for the Brio, wait a few months till the niggles (if any) are sorted out

One of the advantages of buying a premium brand: such a possibility can easily be ignored while making a buying decision. (I pray I am not proven wrong and this comment thrown right back at me in future) :)

But jokes aside, what also helps the case is that the Brio has already been tried and tested in Thailand (and met with good success, so I have heard). So it's not an altogether fresh product.

I have always felt that the i10 is overpriced for the car you get.

My choice would be the Brio. It's a Honda after all!