Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 15:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Rear airbags?

Is sheet metal much stronger than toughened glass? Is it really safer with sheet metal - I am not so sure. But I have no degrees around this to comment..
More then being strong, the metal deforms and absorbs impact like a spring while the glass shatters in to pieces. Metal can hold the objects from entering the cabin while glass if broken, can't.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 16:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
More then being strong, the metal deforms and absorbs impact like a spring while the glass shatters in to pieces.

While that's generally true, I can't imagine a case where-in a metal would be better in Brio instead of glass

1) If impact is huge, it doesn't matter glass / metal
2) If impact is mild, the metal would absorb a little, but it really doesn't matter w.r.t passengers.
3) if the impact is semi, it doesn't affect the passengers safety, metal could absorb more, and the glass might shatter here.
Guess glass is a good option, since the replacement costs might be low.
Quote:
Metal can hold the objects from entering the cabin while glass if broken, can't.
Again, thats generally true based on the element properties. If there is very thin metal and if there is really a toughened glass, I would think glass is better. Guess Brio would have done that.
Just my thoughts, not sure if I applied any laws of physics here correctly
Old 28th September 2011, 17:12   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Imagine an Indian truck crashing into Brio from behind.

Due to high ground clearance of the truck, it will not be stopped by Brio's rear wheels. So, will the truck move ahead into Brio's rear compartment without any obstruction?
Quote:
This is a genuine concern. If you sit in the back seat and turn back, you will see the rear glass to be so close (due to the slant). It makes you feel very vulnerable. In india, it is very common to see cars with broken tail lamps and dented rear hatch. In Brio, you have the glass at the same height.
Even in the showroom, I heard people discussing about how safe the rear glass is.
Quote:
More then being strong, the metal deforms and absorbs impact like a spring while the glass shatters in to pieces. Metal can hold the objects from entering the cabin while glass if broken, can't.
Honestly, there is too much thought going into the glass-lid at the back.

You see, sheet-metal will dent if hit, and if hit very hard, it would absorb the impact and crumple up instead of transferring the impact onto the occupants inside the vehicle.

Similarly, the toughened glass will not shatter very easily. Evern if it has been rear-ended by a large and heavy object, the glass would sustain a crack, and the shock waves of the impact would spread within the glass-lid itself and not through it.

The Brio, just like any other car, has a C-Pillar. It may not look thick, but that's a design aspect we're referring to. The pillar inside the sculpted and designed sheet-metal should be the same in most hatchbacks of its size, so it will sustain the impact like any other hatchback of its size. The Pillar, as you can see, is strategically placed right behind the head-room area at the rear. So the feeling of vulnerability is only a feeling. Don't let it get to you.

Honda is an internationally renowned car company. They wouldn't overlook such major aspects of safety and design.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 22:48   #34
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I too am in a similar dilemma... My budget is around 4.5-4.75 (max) and I have zeroed in on i10 Magna or Honda Brio E MT/S MT am looking for the following in my hatchback car:

1) Visibility - Since I am short - I currently drive a Santro Xing which has excellent visibility
2) Good FE in the city - 90% of my commute would be in the city
3) Comfortable Ride incl. at the back since my parents would be travelling ocassionally - now they complain that my Santro is bouncy

4) Good A.S.S and Low Maintenance cost.

The following are not important:
1) Integrated Music system - I can separately fit one @ Rs. 11K
2) Rear wiper/washer/defogger

The Music controls on the steering seem to be one good feature on the Brio... Except this, the i10 and brio are almost same as reg. the features list is concerned...

Pl. let me know your views on the car I must choose from... Also if it is Brio, is it necessary to go for a S variant instead of E Variant. The major difference is music system, keyless entry. I plan to buy this during diwali.

Thanks

Madhu
Old 29th September 2011, 09:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
3) Comfortable Ride incl. at the back since my parents would be travelling ocassionally - now they complain that my Santro is bouncy
Both Brio and i10 have bouncy rear. You will find no improvement in either of the cars in that aspect from your Santro. You will need wider choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Brio, just like any other car, has a C-Pillar. It may not look thick, but that's a design aspect we're referring to. The pillar inside the sculpted and designed sheet-metal should be the same in most hatchbacks of its size, so it will sustain the impact like any other hatchback of its size. The Pillar, as you can see, is strategically placed right behind the head-room area at the rear. So the feeling of vulnerability is only a feeling. Don't let it get to you.

Honda is an internationally renowned car company. They wouldn't overlook such major aspects of safety and design.
The real concern is that rear passengers' head seem to be parallel to C pillars (need pics to confirm it though). In my Figo for example, C pillars are placed considerably behind the head of rear passengers.

If Toyota sacrificed their iconic quality (and safety?) to make Etios and Liva, who knows Honda might have done something similar.

Last edited by Amartya : 29th September 2011 at 09:47. Reason: Merged the back-to-back posts. Thanks for the note :).
Old 29th September 2011, 09:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I too am in a similar dilemma... My budget is around 4.5-4.75 (max) and I have zeroed in on i10 Magna or Honda Brio E MT/S MT am looking for the following in my hatchback car:

1) Visibility - Since I am short - I currently drive a Santro Xing which has excellent visibility
2) Good FE in the city - 90% of my commute would be in the city

4) Good A.S.S and Low Maintenance cost.

The following are not important:
1) Integrated Music system - I can separately fit one @ Rs. 11K
2) Rear wiper/washer/defogger

The Music controls on the steering seem to be one good feature on the Brio... Except this, the i10 and brio are almost same as reg. the features list is concerned...

Pl. let me know your views on the car I must choose from... Also if it is Brio, is it necessary to go for a S variant instead of E Variant. The major difference is music system, keyless entry. I plan to buy this during diwali.

Thanks

Madhu
in terms of visibility i doubt there is much to pick between the two cars. Brio might be better but the lack of driver seat adjustment might be factor, you should take a call after checking the car. A colleague of mine who is 5'4" has booked a Honda Jazz without driver seat adjustment, he felt it shouldn;t matter.

multiple owners of Honda Vehicles (City and Jazz) are appreciative of FE of their vehicles. considering that Brio has the same engine as Jazz, it should have better FE than Jazz, which should be in the range of 15-16 within City, in other threads on Team-BHP i have heard complaints about i10's FE.

both i10 and Brio arent known for their suspensions. its even-stevens there too.

Honda cars have fewer problems, but when they do they would cost more. Hyundai has better A.S.S network.

couple of other factors. i10 cant accomodate 3 people in the back seat, while Brio might. the backseat of Brio can provide a claustrophobic feeling.
i10 will be cheaper with discounts et al and there might be significant waiting period for Brio
Old 29th September 2011, 10:26   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The real concern is that rear passengers' head seem to be parallel to C pillars (need pics to confirm it though). In my Figo for example, C pillars are placed considerably behind the head of rear passengers.

If Toyota sacrificed their iconic quality (and safety?) to make Etios and Liva, who knows Honda might have done something similar.
From the pictures, the C-Pillar seems to be behind the head-room area at the back. There is not much space, that's true. But it isn't really a cause for concern, IMO.

Honda, unlike Toyota, hasn't sacrificed quality in the name of keeping costs low. The interior has great feel, and the internal components feel strong and well bolted together. The Liva epitomizes cost-cutting like nothing else. It is clearly a 'made-for-India' product, just like the Nano. You see cost cutting everywhere. You don't see that in the Brio.

Also, the Brio is an international product. It's already on sale in Thailand and will be on sale in other Countries.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 11:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine an Indian truck crashing into Brio from behind.

Due to high ground clearance of the truck, it will not be stopped by Brio's rear wheels. So, will the truck move ahead into Brio's rear compartment without any obstruction?
Eh? Awesome theory.

Should I now think about a JCB vs sedans/SUV?
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
3) Comfortable Ride incl. at the back since my parents would be travelling
Madhu
Sorry for going away from Brio/i10, but do check out the Chevy Beat for a comfy ride, although the rear seat is a dark place to be, like the Swift. Interiors are stylish too. For the elderly, ride should be most important.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:42   #40
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
I was talking to a couple of my friends who own a Jazz and they vouch by its FE which they is around 14-15 in the city. So If honda says that the FE of Brio would be 18, it would definitely give 15... Hence on the Fe part, I feel Brio would be better than the i10.
However, answers to the other criteria still remain...

I would be visiting the Honda Showroom today to see the car in flesh. Will report post that. However, a dissappointing update I got from the Olympia Honda Showroom in Chennai was that it would take around 20 days for the test drive car to arrive. At the same time they are altready getting bookings and waiting list is 2 months. In short, they expect us to book w/o a test drive
Old 29th September 2011, 17:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,
I was talking to a couple of my friends who own a Jazz and they vouch by its FE which they is around 14-15 in the city.
==========
In short, they expect us to book w/o a test drive
I had a similar fix when i wanted to book a Jazz. I booked the car with a written agreement that the dealer will return the entire amount if i chose to after the test drive.
Old 29th September 2011, 22:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I would be visiting the Honda Showroom today to see the car in flesh. Will report post that. However, a dissappointing update I got from the Olympia Honda Showroom in Chennai was that it would take around 20 days for the test drive car to arrive. At the same time they are altready getting bookings and waiting list is 2 months. In short, they expect us to book w/o a test drive
Two months waiting for the Brio as well

And I thought Honda had it all covered and wont make customers wait.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by algos&autos View Post
I had a similar fix when i wanted to book a Jazz. I booked the car with a written agreement that the dealer will return the entire amount if i chose to after the test drive.
That seems to be a good idea.. Have not been able to go to the showroom yet due to other work Plan to go tomorrow. Will keep all of you posted on the experience.

Thanks

Madhu
Old 30th September 2011, 16:36   #44
BHPian

I drive a Jazz now and have owned Santro, Getz in the past and have driven i10 a few times. I have no hesitation recommending Brio over i10. Brio having the same 1.2L engine as Jazz and being more than 100kg lighter should be a fun car to drive. However one should still test drive both the cars buy the car in which they feel comfortable. Both are good cars in their own right and one cannot go wrong by choosing any of them.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:18   #45
BHPian

Hello guys,

As planned went to the Olympia Honda Showroom and saw the Brio in flesh. The high end V trim was displayed there and WoW! What a car. The i10 may have good looks and style but this looks BIG from the front and has an imposing stance. I managed to get the car started though the salesman complained that it is not supposed to be started... I was insisting on starting the car since I wanted to hear the engine sound and smoothness. The driver seat height is low compared to i10 and there is no seat height adjust even in the top variant. The rear seat is more spacious compared to the i10 and 3 adults of more than average size could sit comfortably. The C-pillar was not uncomfortably close to the rear passengers. The highlight of the car is indeed the all glass hatch and the salesman was slamming it shut for anyone who wanted to check how strong the glass is, Upon me asking him as to why he was taking the risk of breaking the glass, he told me that the company has instructed them to do so.Test Drive car would arrive in 15 days after which I plan to book the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks