Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 15:14   #151
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The i10 and 20 have the same 1.2 Kappa engine. So logically the i10 should be preferred being lighter. Also, the Brio 1.2 has 90 horses, the same as the 120 1.4 (Gamma) AT and more than the 1.2Kappa!
I was about to say that!!! thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
That is quiet true, however if you have a compare the performance stats for all 3 ... the i20 would be first, Brio second and i10 third.

I have not obviously done any comparison, but even with same horses there seems to be a visible performance difference between the three. I cannot put it straight technically but I've had a i10/i20 stand-off ... and I lost, to my surprise!

During a recent test-drive the Brio felt like it had more punch than the i10. Could not get the 2 companies to drive them together side-by-side no matter how hard I tried
Brio is has higher weight:Power ratio which should help me to get it up all the way easier than doing the same on heavier and low power i20.
What say?
Old 16th May 2012, 15:30   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

Brio is has higher weight:Power ratio which should help me to get it up all the way easier than doing the same on heavier and low power i20.
What say?
Hmm yes, that explains the performance gain. However, Brio has a smaller (and visible) boot. Is ground clearance a condition? A quick google search reveals the i10, i20 and Brio all stand at 165mm.
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:42   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Hmm yes, that explains the performance gain. However, Brio has a smaller (and visible) boot. Is ground clearance a condition? A quick google search reveals the i10, i20 and Brio all stand at 165mm.
GC is a criteria but this spec should be fine.
Boot,yes its a thing i'm little disappointed with.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:47   #154
BHPian

Can I get some pointers on service costs of :
i10,Ritz,Swift when compared with Brio..
Old 16th May 2012, 16:27   #155
BANNED

Just power to weight is part of the story. Honda engines develop power at higher revs (the modern 1.2Kappas are also peaking higher) so need to be revved. So a lot will also depend on your driving style. In general given similar power bands, and gearing the Brio should be better. It should also be lighter than the i20 for sure.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:17   #156
BHPian

Quote:
The i10 and 20 have the same 1.2 Kappa engine. So logically the i10 should be preferred being lighter. Also, the Brio 1.2 has 90 horses, the same as the 120 1.4 (Gamma) AT and more than the 1.2Kappa!
IIRC, the 1.4 Gamma AT i20 develops 100 HP; so the Brio would fall bang in between the 1.2 i10/i20 and the 1.4 i20 in HP terms.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:57   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
IIRC, the 1.4 Gamma AT i20 develops 100 HP; so the Brio would fall bang in between the 1.2 i10/i20 and the 1.4 i20 in HP terms.
Yes and not. Take the additional 10-15% power loss in the Torque Converter and it is ~90hp available.

One other thing. I saw the discussion about the Ground Clearance. The quoted figure is not of much relevance. This is the height of the lowest part of the car - invariably the bottom of the steering linkage in a fwd car. This point is smack between the front wheels, so rides up and down with them. Actually, what leads to bottoming is not this. It depends on the springing, and dynamics. So forget the published GC for any comparisons. Often it is the exhaust or the rear damper mount which hits first.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Have not read the entire thread - just saw the Title and thought I'd add my 2 cents here -

I have driven the i10 and it is an absolutely boring / uninspiring car to drive. I am a Hyundai fan by the way.

The other day I TD the Jazz and the Brio and was blown away by the Brio. The best car in its segment leaving the i10 in a far 2nd spot if you compare both these cars.

What a package for 5 lacs OTR for the mid variant.

I'd not give it a second thought before buying the Brio over the i10 any given day. And the most important part - the FE is far better in the Brio than the i10 and this comes vouched for from a close family relative who owns both.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:08   #159
BHPian

@vkochar

Have you got a car of the i10 range for an FE comparison?

Here's what I get:

Conditions:
City driving with moderate to heavy 90% of the time mostly in 3rd gear, with frequent down shifts to 2nd.
Max speed 50kmph for about a minute, regular driving speed 40 - 45kmph
Usual daily distance ~14 kms
Top FE figures: ~12.65kmpl / Average: ~10-11 kmpl max (aircon ON)
Bottom FE figure: 7.8 kmpl
Fuel: Normal Petrol every single time from the same company (BP)

Highway - 16.45kmpl aircon off

Would very much like to know if Brio can do better in similar conditions keeping in mind the speed. I service at regular 3 month intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can I get some pointers on service costs of :
i10,Ritz,Swift when compared with Brio..
i10 SPORTZ - 2 yrs and running now

AMC-6000
Service 1: 2752 (Wheel Balancing & Alignment, Teflon Coating)
Service 2: 0
Service 3: 4629 (1L engine solvent, AC Disinfectant, Silensor coating, Decarbonization, interior car clean)
Service 4: 200 (Broken Number plate Replaced)

Total 1 year service Cost: Rs. 13581

EDIT: Interior and Exterior car treatments together took a hefty toll (Rs. 2748 before taxes) . Not to mention, I really don't see the value in it. So take that out, you're looking at a more realistic figure of ~Rs. 9000-10000

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th May 2012 at 01:22. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. Use the 'Edit' function henceforth. Thanks :)
Old 17th May 2012, 14:31   #160
BANNED

I can spot quite a few of the standard Hyundai cons here - Teflon Coating, Balancing & Alignment at the outset, Engine solvent, AC Disinfectant, Silencer coating, Decoking.

Teflon coating is a standard con of all vendors. How long will Teflon last in Indian dust? Use a good hard wax like Collinite.
Balancing & alignment are I think in the service slip. In my case they wanted to charge for it, I called for the slip and out it went.Then they wanted to bill the weights - I said what is the purpose of balancing - just spin the wheels. I told then I will pay and report to Hyundai - out it went.

Engine Solvent: If you are using good oil you should never need this.

AC Disinfectant: Total con. At best spray a deodorant.

Silencer Coating: again a con. Not required.

Decoking: Ok at may be 60,000km not in a new car! A very popular con, along with Radiator Flushing, this and that spray, injector cleaning.

I am afraid Hyundai dealers are pricing the company out! I just tell them to do what the sheet specifies, and I will NOT pay for anything extra without my specific permission. With a long face they accept it.

Since most if not all are doing it, I guess it is with the tact agreement of the company.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th May 2012 at 14:33.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 21:25   #161
BHPian

The resale value of a Brio would be higher than the i20 because of the impeccable reliability associated with Honda. As far as I know, the only Hyundai car with a good resale value is the Santro.

Again, Hyundai service had become a costly affair these days. Hondas are cheaper to own in that aspect. If it is the routine service plus oil change then the bill is generally around 2k even for a Civic.
Old 18th May 2012, 07:23   #162
BHPian

Quote:
I can spot quite a few of the standard Hyundai cons here - Teflon Coating, Balancing & Alignment at the outset, Engine solvent, AC Disinfectant, Silencer coating, Decoking.
But even the Company Authorised Service Centre also does this con job. I persume then that even this would have been outsourced and the guys taking us for a ride. Let me see what they tell when I go for my paid routine service next time. Thank you for the inputs.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 11:40. Reason: dont quote entire post as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 08:53   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Quote:
Since most if not all are doing it, I guess it is with the tacit agreement of the company.
But even the Company Authorised Service Centre also does this con job. I persume then that even this would have been outsourced and the guys taking us for a ride. Let me see what they tell when I go for my paid routine service next time. Thank you for the inputs.
I think you missed out the import of one line which implicitly states it is the A$$ who are doing this. Just write no additional work, injector cleaning and the like without my explicit consent on the job sheet.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:52   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
The resale value of a Brio would be higher than the i20 because of the impeccable reliability associated with Honda. As far as I know, the only Hyundai car with a good resale value is the Santro.

Again, Hyundai service had become a costly affair these days. Hondas are cheaper to own in that aspect. If it is the routine service plus oil change then the bill is generally around 2k even for a Civic.
Are you speaking from experience or just quoting hearsay? I have owned 3 brand new Hyundai cars and here is resale value. Please judge for yourself if the resale value is bad?

According to me, it's fantastic !!!!

Hyundai Santro Zipplus 1.1
Price Bought: Rs. 3, 72,000
Kms Driven : 42,000kms
Years Owned : 3.8 Years
Price Sold : Rs.2,55,000
Punctures : 0

Accent Viva CRDI
Price Bought: Rs.7,20,000
Kms Driven : 60,000kms
Years Owned : 3.10 Years
Price Sold : Rs.4,00,000
Punctures : 2

Hyundai i10
Price Bought: Rs.4,50,000
Kms Driven : 13,000kms
Years Owned : 3.6 Years
Price Sold : Rs.3,20,000
Puncture : 1

A.S.S experience for all 3 cars has been extraordinarily economical and I spent 0.50/km or less for all cars listed above.

Even now I get calls from A.S.S from Hyundai service center asking when i am buying a Hyundai car next

I rate Hyundai A.S.S equivalent or better than Maruti A.S.S (experience from owning a brand new M800 and Zen)

With regards to i10 vs. Brio. Never driven a Brio

i10 is a sleeper car and when driven in right rev ranges, its a pretty quick car and perfect for city conditions in every which way.

Downside of i10 is low FE. Never got above 11kmpl in city and 15kmpl on highways. Mind you this is always with a heavy foot.

i10 didnt ring any bells for me on the passion department but, i am still going to miss her.....

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 11:57.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:53   #165
BANNED

Quote:
This is the height of the lowest part of the car - invariably the bottom of the steering linkage in a fwd car. This point is smack between the front wheels, so rides up and down with them. Actually, what leads to bottoming is not this. It depends on the springing, and dynamics. So forget the published GC for any comparisons. Often it is the exhaust or the rear damper mount which hits first.
Steering linkage is not the lowest part in a FWD car. Usually its the engine sump or the exhaust pipe or the rear suspension torsion beam in torsion beam setup which is lowest part in most cars. Steering linkage sits high above the suspension lower arms and the front subframe.

Most of the grounding occurs between the front and rear wheels while going over bumps and its usually the exhaust pipe which takes a hit as its the lower most part of the car in the center region, and in some low GC cars running board under part also takes a hit.

Most Viewed