Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 11:00   #196
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10

@CowlFlap; The simple answer is that while in principle the answer may be yes, in practice it is no, neither it it advisable. Airbags need sensors to disable them when the seat is unoccupied, etc. This may need both the sensors and a link to the EMU. ABS/EBD may need less interlink with the EMU but they are too critical for fiddling. I guess one way may be to retrofit with the original but but the risks are too great. So I will suggest you steer clear of these modifications.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 11:28   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Hi,
Slightly OT..I had a quick question on the topic of Airbags and ABS/EBD. Not sure if it’s been covered before and Mods please shift this to the technical section if more appropriate there.

My question is: can these two (very important) safety features not be retrofitted (factory or even third party) in a base variant? If I’m not interested in the frills (body coloured door/ORVM, fog lamps, alloys, music system, two/three-tone interiors, seat height adjusters, rear power windows, central locking, remote locking, ..and whatever else!) associated with the Airbags/ABS equipped variant, why can I not retrofit these two (or can I)?

I guess my larger question is: Is it just a sales associated no-no, or a technically impossible thing? What does it take to install/retrofit an Airbag deployment system and an ABS in your car?

Thanks
It's not a sales-associated no-no. It certainly is technically plausible.

But just remember that components such as airbags and ABS are hard-wired into the system. There are a lot of electronics in question and no regular mechanic or auto-accessory store can carry out such modifications with absolute success, however reputed.

Such features come built into the car right from factory, and that's when it's best and least prone to malfunction. Even then , it can happen.

Retro-fitting such complicated electronics is best avoided, in my humble opinion.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:22   #198
BHPian

Thanks @sgiitk and @suhaas307

I guess both of you have pointed in the same direction: Possible, but better avoidable.

And, in all likelyhood, I will stay away from the idea of modifying these. I understand that it can be a delicate issue, and if not done correctly, chances for malfunction are higher.

I hope manufacturers can steer towards providing safety features to all variants in the future. There are those, my parents (and myself, to some extent) for instance, who are alergic *winks* to those frills I mentioned earlier. Infact, there are some (additional) features in the upper variants that become a deal breaker for us - power windows, central locking etc.

Coming back to the topic, we saw both i10, and the Bree..yo. The latter suits our needs better, though the base variant does not have the safety features. It does lack boot space, but we're not overly concerned about that -removing the rear bench when not required gives ample space for those long trips. On that note, I wonder what it looks like minus the rear bench..

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th May 2012 at 12:48. Reason: Stick to the two-smiley rule, please. :)
Old 28th May 2012, 13:34   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post

My question is: can these two (very important) safety features not be retrofitted (factory or even third party) in a base variant? If I’m not interested in the frills (body coloured door/ORVM, fog lamps, alloys, music system, two/three-tone interiors, seat height adjusters, rear power windows, central locking, remote locking, ..and whatever else!) associated with the Airbags/ABS equipped variant, why can I not retrofit these two (or can I)?

I guess my larger question is: Is it just a sales associated no-no, or a technically impossible thing? What does it take to install/retrofit an Airbag deployment system and an ABS in your car?

Thanks
No, technically retrofitting an Airbag, ABS, EBD along with its modules and electronics is too complex of a job to do it after-market with the money spent not going beyond the top variant with these features. Its cause in aftermarket or dealer option, you will need to buy these components separately which add to cost. Plus no dealer/after-market is trained or competent enough to carry out such as task as it does not justify the ROI even if one intends to be skilled in one.

One does not want a after-market safety like Airbag, etc to be installed from other than the factory as there will always be a question "Will it work", and there is no way to test it

No dealer or aftermarket across the globe is well trained /equipped to carry out such a task with monetary constraints.

The most complex task most do is replace the ABS modules, airbag kit in case they are deployed once.

Ps : Micra is the only hatch to come with a driver Airbag is a base version in India but they are the same ones to skip ABS in top diesel variant.

Last edited by dipen : 28th May 2012 at 13:42.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:49   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
No dealer or aftermarket across the globe is well trained /equipped to carry out such a task with monetary constraints.
I don't think the dealers are going to be willing to carry out such retrofitting either.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:56   #201
BHPian

Retrofitting airbags and abs, ebd is out of the question..

but my one and only gripe with the car is the lack of even internally adjustable ORVMs on the S mt... any aftermarket hopes on this one?

Last edited by eternalck : 28th May 2012 at 22:58.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:52   #202
BHPian

I'm hearing water leakage issues in brio and one of bhpian seems to confirm it as well..anyone else faced this issue?
Old 30th May 2012, 06:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I'm hearing water leakage issues in brio and one of bhpian seems to confirm it as well..anyone else faced this issue?
Water leakage in which part? If its the water getting into high mounted stop lamp i think i read somewhere here that Honda has come up with a solution already.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:30   #204
BHPian

Yeah , Hopefully it is fixed by in subsequent batches.
It would be a huge drawback in a country of Monsoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Water leakage in which part? If its the water getting into high mounted stop lamp i think i read somewhere here that Honda has come up with a solution already.
Old 30th May 2012, 19:34   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Please can you shed more light on this?

I would like to know more about this and be prepared.
Old 30th May 2012, 20:53   #206
BHPian

Not much is known yet. One of bhpian had mentioned about it. Since there is a serious dearth of ownership reviews unable to dig more. Real test is yet to happen during this year monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Please can you shed more light on this?

I would like to know more about this and be prepared.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 08:56   #207

Thanks to all, I found this forum the most informative. I too am comparing the two & did a TD. Some points not mentioned in this long thread are:
Brio Cons:
1. 5'11", when i sit on the back, my head touches the roof;
2. In the back, with no proper neck restrainer, its very uncomfortable at back
3. The centre bump (axle) is much less pronounced than i10
4. Entry/Exit out of rear door is much more cramped compared to i10
i10 Cons:
1. If you drive any car with steering-mounts, found it difficult to honk (habituated to using my thumb: The honk press is very hard, not very friendly

In general both cars have pretty even with each having some advantages. Brio is definitely much more fun to drive.
Old 18th June 2012, 06:07   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driven my brio in blinding rain on the highway - it from the initial batches. No leakage whatsoever!
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 07:01   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Driven my brio in blinding rain on the highway - it from the initial batches. No leakage whatsoever!
Did you feel not having rear wiper a serious limitation in that drive?
Old 18th June 2012, 10:29   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you feel not having rear wiper a serious limitation in that drive?
Yup that is a limitation and it is a bit painful but it has nothing to do with leakage. I'm not sure where you got this leakage info from.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks