Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2006, 17:21   #31
BHPian

Fellows,

Time for Truce, English is quite a complicated language indeed. However, from the posts i gather that the Ikon can easily hit the 100K mileage mark without much of a sputter. ( read as burning a hole in the wallet! ) Any ideas if the palio can walk the mile?? Have read some threads that point that a lot of expenditure comes your way when the palio hits the 60k mark.

Fiat owners!! Any of them around??

cheers
Old 1st March 2006, 17:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Hey, this is what I got from the Fiat website. Comparison chart of spares.
hey rx135, i am not doubting the integrity of fiat's website or that of any other vendor, but i would rather trust the comparison charts as given by an independant authority like ACI.

ACI in their nov 2005, had given a comprehensive list of most-needed spares for all cars in india. It would definitely help if someone could print that list here with permission from ACI.

A little on the maintenance front :

Now, depending on how well you treat your particular car, or what conditions it is used in, decides whether these parts will be changed in your car or not. In a sparingly used or a lovingly maintained car or a car with superb build quality, there should be very few replacements, so these users may not feel the pinch of higly priced spares. While others at the same time, may.

The pricing of spares is just an indication of how much you might have to cough up, in case things go wrong. Whether they go wrong depends on the build-quality and the usage of the car.

I think same can be argued for the FE also. There might be some average FE which may vary as per driving habits & traffic conditions. So if someone is getting very high or low FE is not an absolute statement on what somebody else might get, or on the car itself.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 1st March 2006 at 17:24.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:29   #33
BHPian

personally, i would go for the ikon 1.6 esp considering the fact that if i have to keep it maintained, i would have a lot of trouble/headache with the palio than with the ikon - never mind the cost.
if something goes wrong with a ford, at least there are decent dealers around which can do a decent job of fixing it at a cost. i cant say the same for any fiat.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:39   #34
BHPian

I guess both cars are great. Mileage shouldn't be an issue since he is looking for a performance car. Moreover both are in the same region of 9.xxkms/lt. I have an ikon 1.6 and it gives me a mileage of around 9 with ac in city mainly because i tend to keep it in higher revs. I guess you can get more if you drive sanely.

I wouldn't want to comment on the after sales service of palio but i have heard it's bad unless you can get it serviced elsewhere. The ford service is a million times better than the fiat service. I can assure you of that.

I would definitely love to own a palio 1.6 gtx, since it's really fun to drive. The reason i bought the ikon was because it was a daily run about car mainly for city use and i did not want to have any service issues with the palio after paying 5.6 lakhs(OTR BLR).

But a second hand palio definitely makes sense since it's quite a lot cheaper. If you think with your heart it has to be the palio but the ikon is a more practical choice with pretty much comparable performance. Don't get me wrong the ikon is a great car, but the palio 1.6 is just a little bit better in terms of the fun factor.

Last edited by Neo. : 1st March 2006 at 17:42.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:43   #35
BHPian

suman u seriously are not doing your Home work right? Read post 22 where i have mentioned that i had my uncle's brand new 1.6 ikon when he was abroad. I have used it for well over 10k kms and never for once have i ever got more than 8kmpl but then i am a very aggressive driver so maybe thats the reason having touched 180kph on the speedo quiet regularly.

Secondly, everyone knows that the esteem is faster than even the baleno to a 100kph. esteem gets to a 100 in early 11 secs whereas the baleno reaches 100 in 11.5 and ikon in 11.8. There was a disussion regarding the esteem being the quickest till a 100 on another thread in team bhp some time back. So that proves it to you brother that till a 100 esteem is the faster compared to the ikon and even the much more spirited baleno. Why the esteem is faster than an ikon 1.6 till a 100? Because it is a lot lighter but the ikon has a more powerful engine than the esteem which helps it to gain momentum on the esteem after 100kph but not by much though.

Anyways, if you still need a proof, get your ikon to mumbai some day for a drag till a 100 and i will teach you the fine art of breathing an esteem exhaust. but after a 100 it will be the esteem breathing on the ikons exhaust.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 1st March 2006 at 17:47.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
hey rx135, i am not doubting the integrity of fiat's website or that of any other vendor, but i would rather trust the comparison charts as given by an independant authority like ACI.
I do not think Fiat would post fake data, but it is quite possible that they will selectively post data which is in their favour. If more comprehensive data is available, it will be better. Anyway, interesting thread this is!
Old 1st March 2006, 18:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
suman u seriously are not doing your Home work right? Read post 22 where i have mentioned that i had my uncle's brand new 1.6 ikon when he was abroad. I have used it for well over 10k kms and never for once have i ever got more than 8kmpl but then i am a very aggressive driver so maybe thats the reason having touched 180kph on the speedo quiet regularly.

Secondly, everyone knows that the esteem is faster than even the baleno to a 100kph. esteem gets to a 100 in early 11 secs whereas the baleno reaches 100 in 11.5 and ikon in 11.8. There was a disussion regarding the esteem being the quickest till a 100 on another thread in team bhp some time back. So that proves it to you brother that till a 100 esteem is the faster compared to the ikon and even the much more spirited baleno. Why the esteem is faster than an ikon 1.6 till a 100? Because it is a lot lighter but the ikon has a more powerful engine than the esteem which helps it to gain momentum on the esteem after 100kph but not by much though.

Anyways, if you still need a proof, get your ikon to mumbai some day for a drag till a 100 and i will teach you the fine art of breathing an esteem exhaust. but after a 100 it will be the esteem breathing on the ikons exhaust.

Cheers
Prince85, I don't do my homework any longer, gave that up years ago!!!!
Read my post again, it was in reference to your FIRST post because that's where you mentioned 7kpl; you may have corrected that error you made subsequently by creeping up the figures a tad at a time till you reached 8 but.....read the correct reference!

And, I do not need to take my Ikon to Mumbai for a drag, we have enough Esteems in Delhi and I'm afraid I've never yet had the pleasure (or displeasure) of being pipped by one to 100 kph (or to any figure for that matter) from a standing start......and there have been enough opportunities, believe me. Early mornings in South Delhi, we get a lot of good roads to play around with so its not a big deal.

Theoretically though.....you could have the satisfaction of thinking whatever you may wish, thats your prerogative

And last but not least, 180 kph regularly on the speedo......I suppose you did frequent runs on the Mumbai-Pune expressway...? Was it the true kph btw?

Last edited by suman : 1st March 2006 at 18:03.
Old 1st March 2006, 18:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Suman and Prince, for a change, how about talking about Palio GTX vs. Ikon SXI?
Old 1st March 2006, 18:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Suman and Prince, for a change, how about talking about Palio GTX vs. Ikon SXI?
with the gentle hint!!! I would go with the Ikon any day as I've mentioned earlier
Old 1st March 2006, 18:17   #40
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is dealt with severely.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by prince85 : 1st March 2006 at 18:18.
Old 1st March 2006, 18:29   #41
BHPian

hey guys,
Saw quite a few posts here talking about mileage figures. Thought i would chip in with mine.
Here's the Ikon's Highway mileage figs:
831 KMS drank 64.2 ltrs with an avg distance of 12.94 kms for a litre of petrol
and heres the one that i got recently (that would be in the city)
403 (apprx) 41.3 ltrs with an avg distance of 9.76 kms per ltr of petrol
the highway runs were done non stop for 2-3 hrs at a stretch so covered a distance of atleast 200 kms on a single start. that probably has given it a clean mileage figure.
So all the talk about mileage being bad et al, well it does depend on the driver too .
so rams i would definitely suggest you to pick up the ikon but make sure the babe's in order coz if it was driven and maintained like what i do, i would ask you to get it blindly , oops sorry mods, couldn't resist that extra smiley
i plan to drive the ikon when we go up the "himalays" okie.
well on second thoughts, the S10 too doesn't sound bad for a drive in the Hims. so it's anyways your take. you've melted down to two good contenders. all you need to do is get the correct one for the correct price. shop around if you get any of these two for a good price. you'd not need another bargain.
thanks,
Avi
Old 1st March 2006, 22:15   #42
BHPian

suman, i guess this link will give the exact picture to prove to you what i am talking about http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...adtest/0_100_0
This was a test done by indiacar which compared 0-100-0 timings. Well we were arguing over the 0-100kph times right. See the rankings and carefully read what is written about the esteem and the ikon 1.6 sxi in this test.

Ford IKon 1.6sxi is ranked 15th with a 0-100-0 time of 18.70secs and 0-100 in about 14secs.
Esteem is ranked 9th with a 0-100-0 time of 16.91secs and 0-100 in about 12.27secs.

And suman in reponse to post 38, i can believe that you must have beaten esteems in south delhi or wherever but i am sure that they were carb esteems and not mpfi ones. Esteem BSII and BS III are faster than the ikon 1.6 by nearly 2 secs like you can see in the above link.

Now what do you have to say about that suman? You were calling my point of view as a "series of loose statements". I knew what i was saying was right therefore i defended myself. I am not saying that the esteem is an out an out performance car like the ohc vtec, fiat palio 1.6 or even the maruti baleno but it sure is quick. I apologise to all team-bhpians for being off topic for nearly the whole of this thread and also for being offensive at times but then i had a point to prove to someone who was just not willing to listen and was begining to get on to my nerves. I am sure this link must have suprised a lot of you people but then its true.

PS- suman, i know at some point today it was getting out of hand, but then the gentleman that i am, i would like to say to you that i am sorry for being rude at times. No hard-feelings huh!
Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 1st March 2006 at 22:31.
Old 1st March 2006, 22:53   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic
Fellows,

Time for Truce, English is quite a complicated language indeed. However, from the posts i gather that the Ikon can easily hit the 100K mileage mark without much of a sputter. ( read as burning a hole in the wallet! ) Any ideas if the palio can walk the mile?? Have read some threads that point that a lot of expenditure comes your way when the palio hits the 60k mark.

Fiat owners!! Any of them around??

cheers
Hey, I wud have posted earlier but was on a vacation and for a change stayed away from the Net ... !!

I'm a very proud owner of the Palio and that too the 1.6 GTX .. I bought it second hand in 2004 July and it had done about 28K !! It was very well mantained and totally stock ... though it didn't stay that way for too long after I got it .. If you search u'll find the basic mods that have been done to her .

As for the ownership experience .. Sercvice centres suck and RIP but if you have a gud mech then getting the basic things done from him shud nor be any problem at all !! I've had bad experiences with the dealers but still do go back at times to get the car tested on their machine for any major faults. So far I've been lucky that the car feels as solid as when I got her home inspite of the treatment she has gotten by my heavy foot. Minor problems do keep croppingonce in a while but none that take away the JOY of driving/owning her.

As for the average ... Its wat all claim but then its nothing compared to the feeling of power one gets while ripping her, I stopped calculating the average about 6 months back !!

All I can say is that as long as you don't bother about the FE .. and the ASS -- just go for it !!!

Cheers

PS -- PM me if you need any farther info !!
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
suman, i guess this link will give the exact picture to prove to you what i am talking about http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...adtest/0_100_0
This was a test done by indiacar which compared 0-100-0 timings. Well we were arguing over the 0-100kph times right. See the rankings and carefully read what is written about the esteem and the ikon 1.6 sxi in this test.

Ford IKon 1.6sxi is ranked 15th with a 0-100-0 time of 18.70secs and 0-100 in about 14secs.
Esteem is ranked 9th with a 0-100-0 time of 16.91secs and 0-100 in about 12.27secs.
The figures seem to come from Overdrive - a source which my experience tells me to reject even before I begin to read it
Sorry mate, but I dont give a damn about these figures - it would take an absolute idiot to take more than 14 seconds for a 0-100 on the beast.

From a more trustworthy source (read ACI), the figures for 0-100 are
Ford Ikon 1.6 : 11.91 s
Fiat Palio 1.6 : 11.19 s
Esteem MPFI : 11.49 s (just to clear some air)

So, the Palio 1.6 is a bit quicker to dash than the Ikon 1.6. But I feel, the Ikon is still a bit more thrilling to drive - especially with that small steering and the small turning radius.
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:35   #45
BHPian

Whatever figures they maybe, any source. But the bottom line is that as far as 0-100 kph is concerned the esteem is faster than the ikon 1.6 by whatever margin which is what i was trying to explain to our dear friend suman.

PS- Goldie, the link which i have posted gives us a picture of all the cars where 0-100 is found out using accurate machines and not by what the speedo in the car has to show. Anyways thanks for the ACI figures as well, it surely will help many settl their doubts.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks