Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 09:59   #1
BHPian

Alto or Xeta

Hi Guys,
One of friends is to decide between Alto and Indica Xeta. Both are now costing around 3 Lacs, most of the factors are in favour of Xeta, the only Info remains left for final decision is the FE of Xeta and any Issues with Tata's Petrol engine as far reliability is concerned.
Anybody owning Xeta please prvoide its actual FE though the adv. says 14kmpl.
Old 6th March 2006, 10:18   #2
BHPian

Xeta should provide you with close to 12 kmpl with AC in city - which would still be a far cry from ~15 kmpl of the Alto.

Reliability in terms of build-quality is a bit of a let down - but the engine should surely last - take a cue from all the long-running taxis around you.

I think you need to figure out whether the VFM for Xeta & more of everything else outweighs the FE and slightly lower fit and finish.
Old 6th March 2006, 10:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

If xeta is within range then xeta is bigger, more powerful and sturdier than the alto. comfort is better too.

Drawback against the Alto would be refined engine and a bit lower FE.

Indica is based on India's largest selling platform. Its pretty reliable with tata's network.

Go for the xeta.
Old 6th March 2006, 10:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Reliability in terms of build-quality is a bit of a let down - but the engine should surely last - take a cue from all the long-running taxis around you.
All the long running taxis are Deisel blocks, so I want to know about the reliability of Petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I think you need to figure out whether the VFM for Xeta & more of everything else outweighs the FE and slightly lower fit and finish.
It is just the FE as he checked out the fit and finish and liked the Indica's Interiors(Beige) and outside color and solid Build more than Alto's.
Old 6th March 2006, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll
All the long running taxis are Deisel blocks, so I want to know about the reliability of Petrol engine.
I think you can ask abhay or hrag about that - they would know better ...
Old 6th March 2006, 11:09   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
one of our office collegue uses indigo petrol. he baught it when indigo was introduced. iam seeing him using it daily. he said it is giving him about 11 KMPL in bangalore. the engine is same for indica and indigo except for output.
in bangalore xeta GLS with power steering and AC is 3.37 on road. the delaer said 6K corporate discount is available. so it costs about 3.31 whereas indica turbo DLG costs 4.4. is it better to go for petrol or diesel?
Alto LXi with AC and power steering costs little more than xeta in bagalore on road
Old 6th March 2006, 11:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

This one is a No Brainer - XETA all the way.

Spacious , Sturdy and a decent petrol engine (they claim) , good FE and tata service centres all over and the icing on the cake its KILLER PRICING- what is your friend waiting for ???
Old 6th March 2006, 11:51   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll
I want to know about the reliability of Petrol engine.
I have heard of petrol Indicas which have done 1 lakh km without any issues. My car's engine has never let me down. The car has done 55.5K km and was dropped off this morning for the 55K service.

Oh and on the main topic, ask your friend to drive both the cars. Both are equally good and depending on your friend's height and build, one of them may be more comfortable.

Last edited by hrag : 6th March 2006 at 11:53.
Old 6th March 2006, 12:06   #9
BHPian

If you dont want to be harassed on the highway, then go for Xeta.
It has good power, handling, comfort and is a 5 Adult seater.
Moreover it wont run like an Autorickshaw when AC is switched on.

Conan
Old 6th March 2006, 12:25   #10
BANNED

Forgot the mention about the FE - so here goes.

My running is 90% city & 10% highway. I always top up when filling petrol - first tankful was at odo reading 000046 km, latest odo reading was at 055308 km - the car took in 4945.16 litres of petrol for a distance of 55262 km. The A/C is always on - except for a brief period (2734 km) when the condenser fan failed (I didn't have time to get it fixed so waited till the next service). A/C usage is therefore 95.08% overall (odo reading now is 055560). Overall FE is 11.17 kpl.

I'd assume the Xeta would return better figures under similar running.
Old 6th March 2006, 12:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Indica Xeta definitly.
Only thing that bothers me is awkward positioning of Steering wheel and high mounted dashboard. Also, a bit bulky to throw around in city compared to Alto. But then its definitly more value for money.
Go for it!
Old 6th March 2006, 13:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Indica Xeta definitly.
Only thing that bothers me is awkward positioning of Steering wheel and high mounted dashboard.
Spot on - and I thought I was the only one who felt that about the Xeta
Old 6th March 2006, 19:44   #13
BHPian

just took a test drive earlier today. xeta is the way to go!!!

it's bigger, it's better than indicas ever were, FE is improved, interiors are way better than the alto's. refinement is good enough. not much of a difference with AC switched on. takes broken roads well in its stride. pace is not bad either. finally, very comfortable indeed.

regardless of what ppl think, i stick to my opinion that the indica remains a handsome car.

Last edited by skandyhere : 6th March 2006 at 19:49.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:13   #14
BHPian

My friend took a test drive of Indica Xeta yesterday and after that there were no two thoughts about what to buy, He was damn impressed with Xeta.
The OTR for Alto Lxi and Xeta with similar configuration is 3.3L in mumbai, So he has decided to go with xeta. He liked everything about the xeta right from Space, sturdyness, power, ride, paint quality,build quality, big car feel, Interior quality compared to Alto. The only downside is FE, which he said, after getting all this at this price, he is not bothered about that.
Thanks guys, for all your suggestions.

Off Topic - Looking at my Friend's quick decision, I once again think, Xeta can just easily kill Alto, Xing, Wagon R and even Non Turbo Indica Deisel ( which is now 65,000rs costlier than xeta, so people buying deisel just because the price diff was less earliar can look at xeta as an option) market. What you guys think?
Old 7th March 2006, 12:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Xeta can blow real big hole in Alto's pockets. This would be the best car for people looking for better car at lesser initial investment. Of course, running costs for Xeta would be higher than Alto, but that is the price one will have pay for getting much bigger and powerful car (in fact, higher segment car).

Having said this, Alto will continue to sell in good number due to our fascination with word "average" aka F.E.

I am surprised to see very low key marketing for Xeta from Tata Motors. (So far, saw only one girlish advt on TV which somehow reminds me of HH Pleasure Advt).

Last edited by RX135 : 7th March 2006 at 12:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks