Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 23:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon

Since its for your Mom. Increase the budget and get an automatic Astar.

Its a decent car and the auto box, makes driving in the city a lot more easy.
Old 26th October 2011, 23:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Alto 0.8 liter is too old, outdated and basic. Remove. Between the Alto K10 & the Eon, the only real advantage that the Maruti has is the engine.
GTO, which has the better ride - K10 or the Eon? This wud tilt the decision for me, really!
Old 27th October 2011, 00:12   #18
BHPian

I wouldn't agree to the point that Eon has lots of space compared to Alto (F8B or K10). There is one particular photo in GTO's review of Eon which depicts the difficulty in ingress and egress out of the rear seat. The distance between the rear seat and the 'B' pillar is too less.

Considering all other aspects, Eon definitely scores in the looks while K10 - with its engine. Just decide on which aspect you would need more. Happy buying!

P.S: I am do own a Alto 800. You can remove this car from your list. Its not that I don't like my car. When I bought her in 2008, I had limited options to choose from. Now that you have too many options to choose from in the same price band, why to go for a old (though proven) product?
Old 27th October 2011, 00:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a basic car made by a manufacturer who has a reputation of reliable, high quality cars. What exactly does the Eon have to prove?
It might be made by a manufacturer which has a history of producing great cars. But, I think every new product that is launched in the market has to prove its worth.
Alto as a product has been a success and is likely to remain in future. For EON to compete with Alto, it has to prove itself in the long term. We cannot simply judge it within a year or 2, it would definitely take time.

However, as a package what Hyundai is offering is simply irresistible.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Choose K10 over EON
1) Much more power, incredible fast, fun to drive.
2) Decent handling, Hyundais are generally horrible.
3) Low cost of ownership.
4) Maruti A$$ & network
5) More features at less cost + you get a tacho too.

If you can stretch a little further Beat is a good choice. It is excellent city car with great built quality & reasonable pep. The ride is just awesome.
I hate it when tachos, vanity mirrors, Left side RVM etc are sold as features.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post
I hate it when tachos, vanity mirrors, Left side RVM etc are sold as features.
Is tacho available in EON as an accessory?
Old 27th October 2011, 12:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Tough choice there!
I'd say go for the new kid on the block, EON. Since the car is intended mostly for city runabouts, the Hyundai handling should not be much of a concern.
Rear seat ingress/egress is an issue but will the rear seat be used much?
Old 27th October 2011, 12:26   #23
BHPian

hey why not consider an A-star & i10?? both cars are offered with plenty of discount to the tune of rs. 50000. The A-star vxi offers the same engine as the k10 but looks better than an alto k10. k10 feels like an alto on steroids..A-star vxi sells @ 387000 ex-delhi & 58000 discount is on offer so you'll get insurance, registration, music etc etc included in that price. same is the case with i-10 era which retails @ 388000 ex-delhi. you get insurance & RC included in the same. So why go in for a lesser car when you can opt for a full fledged car.

PS: you can have a look at santro as well, though dated, its a bigger & better car than alto & EON & discounts are on offer as well..anyways all the best for your new purchase..

Last edited by abhishek24x : 27th October 2011 at 12:45.
Old 27th October 2011, 13:08   #24
BHPian

Coming from a K10 owner, I would look more seriously at the Beat and A-Star (might hold better value than Beat and does not look as extreme). Both are on a modern platform as opposed to the k10 which is now feeling like a stop gap arrangement on the dated Alto platform. You could even strike a hard bargain for the A-Star automatic which is a real boon for city driving.

No major issues till date in my case but the car does not inspire confidence on the highways. The Eon is good to have, but does come with a smaller engine compared with your other options in budget. A slightly tall design is always helpful in heavy traffic city driving though the tall-boy design of Hyundais is sometimes cumbersome for arthritic senior citizens (having to climb into the rear seat).
Old 27th October 2011, 13:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Added_flavor;2556989]My Requirements:

1. Looking for a small and peppy petrol hatch that can be driven by mom and me (strictly within the city)

2. Occasional use/No high running on daily basis. So, Diesel hatch ruled out.

3. The petrol hatch needs to be economical at the same time peppy and fun to drive. Vitamin M can be stretched up to 3.75L.

4. Frustrated with my Hyundai sedan's poor suspension and handling. Recurrence of the same in another Hyundai will be a deal breaker for me.

Try the Chevy Spark.
It ticks all the boxes of your wish list.
Spacious (for its size), nippy handling, refined ride, economical and well within your budget.
GM also has the best warranty / after sales package in this segment.
Old 27th October 2011, 21:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Being a K10 owner, it is not surprising that the majority propose K10.

I am 60 and 5'8". I have an Esteem and my son has an Accord. So all family travel is taken care of by them. When I wanted a peppy car for running about in the Delhi markets, I chose K10. When one is driving alone or with one passenger, bigger cars are a hindrance, especially in the city. What goes in favour of K10
. Best performance in the segment. All the other cars are heavier, A Star the heaviest.
. Best real life FE in the segment
. Best AC, and more important best performance with AC
. Narrowest car, hence maneuvering and parking is a breeze. A Star is way wider.
. Maruti service and resale are amongst the best.

K10 seats are not as wide as those of bigger cars, but pretty comfortable if you like firm cushioning. The seats have a lot of travel, hence no problems for long legged persons. You can always change the seats for leather (Check the AltoK10 site for available accessories) and get super comfortable seats at around 30K/seat. On the whole the best single user city run about you can get for this money.
Old 28th October 2011, 14:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@ Added Flavour

From the wonderful thread of the test Drive of Eon, this particular photo will help you decide...
Lol...the Hyundai ad people should consider licensing the picture for the campaign.

But the picture is not a "neutral" one IMO. An old base-model Alto is shown along with the top-end Eon. It should have been a K10..

EDIT: BTW I too support the K10 option. Reason: proven reliability, better resale value. The Xplore LE version comes with added features like Leather seat covers etc. as per their ad. Maybe you'd want to put a reverse/park sensor too.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th October 2011 at 14:52.
Old 28th October 2011, 16:32   #28
BHPian

I would NOT prefer a Maruti Alto because:

a) Extremely dated design: This was good maybe 8 or even 5 years ago. Today - its a strict no

b) Space: I have been driven around in my friend's Alto and its really a very small car. Space is tight..with four passengers, everyone's knees are scrubbing the front panel / seats.

c) Safety: I don't know of many safety features in this car; It is definitely not crash tested and any decent cars engineered in 2011 will sure be much better than cars engineered 10 years ago.

Hyundai reliability: Frankly - I have not seen many cars made by Hyundai in India that have failed because they are unreliable or they have some serious engineering issues. Guys we're talking about Hyundai - they are far bigger than Suzuki globally and have been producing some great cars including the very successful Accent (verna in India).

So - my choice would be Eon.
Old 28th October 2011, 16:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hyundai Eon is pretty much the new benchmark in compact cars from the moment it was launched. Super "fluidic" looks from the front and the sides, more than decent interior space, a huge (read H-U-G-E) boot which has even the new Swift beaten hollow, and a very competent and tested Santro engine, minus one cylinder. It is a perfect city commuting car, and the best we have in the market right now.

Having said that, the only negative it has is that it is priced slightly on the higher side. 20,000 rupees less (across all models) and it would have the Alto running for cover. But consider this, for a slightly more cost you are getting a superbly engineered and contemporary product which will last you 5-6 years easily (if not more), premium exteriors and interiors, Hyundai's proven A.S.S. all over India, and a super FE-efficient vehicle (ARAI says 21+ kmpl, it should deliver at least 18 kpl which is excellent by city commuting standards).

I say go for the Eon over the K10 (and over the 800 most definitely!). It will be a great city workhorse and will make heads turn as well, which is an added bonus.

Good luck.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th October 2011 at 16:42.
Old 29th October 2011, 18:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azifali View Post
I would NOT prefer a Maruti Alto because:

a) Extremely dated design: This was good maybe 8 or even 5 years ago. Today - its a strict no

b) Space: I have been driven around in my friend's Alto and its really a very small car. Space is tight..with four passengers, everyone's knees are scrubbing the front panel / seats.

c) Safety: I don't know of many safety features in this car; It is definitely not crash tested and any decent cars engineered in 2011 will sure be much better than cars engineered 10 years ago.

Hyundai reliability: Frankly - I have not seen many cars made by Hyundai in India that have failed because they are unreliable or they have some serious engineering issues. Guys we're talking about Hyundai - they are far bigger than Suzuki globally and have been producing some great cars including the very successful Accent (verna in India).

So - my choice would be Eon.
a) The design transcends age. That is why it sells. It is fast and narrow, so it can squeeze in where wider cars cannot, and being light has a tremendous performance. In short a perfect City car for a single person.

b) Regarding space all the hatches in this segment have similar space, except "tall boy" design, and then the space is apparent because you are sitting tall, hence less requirement to stretch legs.

c) With small size, none of the hatches are as safe as bigger sedans, still I remember a friend having a low speed head on crashing in his M800 with an Ambassador. You guessed it, the Ambassador's front was mess, while M800 had only a busted radiator. I consider all small hatches equally safe (or unsafe?).

d) Both Hyundai and MUL cars are pretty reliable. I have yet to see either of these brands stop dead on the road except due to indifferent maintenance - old batteries (corroded terminals) or burst tyres! That may be due to minimal electronics, which are bane of the bigger European vehicles.

e) Hyundai cars some how give lower FE compared to the MUL cars when the advertised figures are considered, especially in B2B traffic conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks