Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 12:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon: Which is your ideal 800cc hatch?

Drove both cars today. One is owned by a team member of mine and is a 2008 model car (800cc) and the other is a new car which a friend just got delivery of.

Both cars were a decent 10 km drive.
The engine is more responsive over most terrains than the Eon but the EON has a nice grunt in 3rd gear, almost as if 2nd is too short and 3rd is too tall. But the car I felt can putter around in 3rd forever! The alto is more 'driver' friendly than the Eon. Whereas the EON is more people friendly with the space on offer which the Alto lacks. In terms of handling the Alto wins hands down (against the eon!). The Eon has huge amounts of body roll and is scary to take a turn at anything above 30 kmph. The steering overcompensates every single time and you dont really feel in control, while a lady driving this probably will say it is a light steering and many men will say 'ek ungli se chalti hai - drives with one finger' But it is dangerous at highway speeds for sure.

The ride though is pliant, but I felt that the dampers are too soft at the front for eon compared to Alto. Braking at 40-50 to 0 is sure to test the seatbelt tension. The Alto on the other hand is pretty surefooted when it comes to braking.

One thing though, the Eon 'feels' upmarket and roomy. Otherwise I feel Alto wins this contest!

What will I buy? Probably a Nano 2012, which feel is a far better car than these two at 1 lac cheaper. Or stretch it a little and buy an Estilo.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 14:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Alto. Dont know why, but i still find Alto very cute. Actually i like Alto f8 than Alto K10 in looks. It looks good in dark colors like black, maroon, blue etc. Alto is surely a well established product & easy to maintain. My friend using it for last 6 years & is very happy with it. He says its like maintaining a 250 cc bike.

Eon has more space but as some mentioned its not at all light years ahead in the looks. It looks very similar to i10 so nothing so special about it. Market has already replied to Eon. It is getting market share of Santro & i10 only and not of Alto
Old 6th February 2012, 14:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Wrong comparison, IMO. The only thing common between them is cc and that alone IMO does not put two cars at same level. The Eon should be compared to the Spark, Estilo, Santro etc, all of which might be 200cc more, but overall are more of the Eon's tall-boy peers than the Alto.

And the poll would have made sense if this was before the Eon's launch - to gauge or guess market reaction. Now that sales-figures clearly indicate that the Eon could not make any dent in Alto sales, the poll is pointless. And if at all it did dent anything, it was the Santro sales and to an extent the i10 too.

The Eon is a looker from the front and sides - the Fluidic design is good. If only they had done better with the rear look, especially the crappy-looking lights.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:17   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
The aim of this thread was mainly to debate on the two 800cc hatches available across the country (hence, Maruti800 was left out).
Quote:
Hence the topic, "Which is your ideal 800cc hatch?" So, instead of offering other alternatives, I would, instead, request you all to imagine for a moment that you were planning to buy an 800cc and you had two options at hand: the Maruti Alto800 or the Hyundai Eon. Which car would you prefer? And why?
This is the first time I'm hearing that some one would think or say 'I'm in market for a 800cc car'. All these years I thought this is the case only for 2 wheeler's!!

Why not ask which entry level car? Looking at the sales figures, Alto it is!!
- Its cheap to maintain
- Proven
- Its from Maruti which has a service center every corner of the street.
- Cheaper then Eon
Old 6th February 2012, 15:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

Its a no brainer really, I would opt for the Alto since it is the cheaper than the EON by 30-40k, and is proven and reliable. Alto LXI retails for about 3.30 lakhs in bangalore-OTR whereas EON with power steering is close to 3.80lakhs or so. And plus, there is always a 15k discount on the Alto, meaning that the OTR is actually 3.15L OTR bangalore. Hence it is a huge difference between the alto and the eon, making the later closer to the zen estilo / A-star in terms of pricing.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:11   #96
BHPian

Re: Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon

With the tweaked feature set and pricing an Eon with Power steering should be about 3.4 to 3.5 lacs OTR. Dlite Plus model of EON is now equipped with power steering.
Old 28th June 2012, 19:45   #97
BHPian

Hi,
I am in lookout for a City Car for my parents. We have shortlisted the Hyundai Eon Dlite+ with A/C & PS. The dealer has offered the car for 3,20L on road Goa prices with June month Discount.

My only concern is the Hyundai Service cost, FE (12-14kmpl as per Bhpians) and nervous nature(Suffocation) of the engine.

Kindly guide me towards the purchase.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:47   #98
BHPian

Like I always suggest to any person looking for an advice on cars. The car should be your own choice. We can only give you the pros and cons of your options.

IMHO, if you are looking for power, performance, handling and driving dynamics, go for the Alto K10. My projection is that 5 years down the line this car will hold a better resale value than Eon.
But if you want looks, legroom, go for the Eon.

If I were you, I would have taken the K10 for sure.
Old 29th June 2012, 01:22   #99
BHPian

Just voted for Alto800.

Reasons: Very Practical, cheap maintenance (not a myth at all - in my personal experience), reliable, Fresh (being a facelift by itself), and great VFM.

Anyways, go with your heart - ignoring what your mind says for this (if you are still confused). Budget is not so high in this case, mind can always be convinced by heart

Good Luck
Old 29th June 2012, 08:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

Having lived with an Alto-800 for 8 years & driven it over 1.65 lac kms, I can vouch for the car's reliability & cheap cost of ownership.
It's a workhorse in it's own sense, with a go-anywhere attitude. To be honest, I actually believe in Alto's tagline, which is "Let's Go".

So, if it's an 800cc car to be chosen, then it is the Alto for me.

However, just to add on, the Alto K10 should be an equally brilliant car & with an added bonus of power/performance at similar mileage figures & other costs of ownership as the 800cc cousin, I think that's the petrol hatch-back I would spend my 3 lacs on.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 29th June 2012 at 08:07.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:23   #101
BHPian

I have driven both the 800cc and 1L engines of Alto and have quiet a few testimonies on their reliability which is evident in this thread as well. Hence my vote will be with K10 if that was an option otherwise am bit dicey. I am yet to drive a Eon but have seen loads of them in office parking and showrooms. Quality of interiors and space seem to be on Eon's side. After reading reviews I am skeptical and hence I have voted for Can't Say since the test drive is still pending(Eon).
Old 6th July 2012, 01:01   #102
BHPian

We finally made up our mind. Its the Hyundai Eon Dlite+ (White)

My dad feels the power is adequate for pure city commute. He is impressed with the car interiors. Eon delivery is scheduled in August as its auspicious month as per our calender.
Old 7th July 2012, 21:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post

My dad feels the power is adequate for pure city commute. He is impressed with the car interiors. Eon delivery is scheduled in August as its auspicious month as per our calender.
Congrats on your decision. We are awaiting your ownership experience as and when the little beauty comes into your life.

By the way, are you buying the Eon from Alcon Hyundai or Goa Hyundai? Any freebies that you are expected to get?
Old 7th July 2012, 22:36   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post

congrats on your decision. did you get any discounts?
check out the Eon in Blue color, it looks stunning; you might feel like giving it a thought to change the color from white to something else.

Last edited by infotech58 : 7th July 2012 at 22:37.
Old 8th July 2012, 01:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Congrats on your decision. We are awaiting your ownership experience as and when the little beauty comes into your life.

By the way, are you buying the Eon from Alcon Hyundai or Goa Hyundai? Any freebies that you are expected to get?
Thanks misquita. I have requested for good deal from both the dealers. I am expecting a deal by Monday evening.

This days, I can see many Eon (Era & Magna versions) on Goan roads specially in South Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
congrats on your decision. did you get any discounts?
check out the Eon in Blue color, it looks stunning; you might feel like giving it a thought to change the color from white to something else.
Thanks infotech58. Yes, Blue color looks stunning but difficult to maintain in city traffic :(.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks