Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 03:17   #121
BHPian

Re: Alto K10 vs Alto 800 vs Hyundai Eon

Dear Friends,

Time to kickstart this thread again??

Im looking to gift a car for my parents in Goa somewhere in Nov-Dec 12.
Budget:4L (not really fixed)

Requirements: My parent stay in Goa and visit Pune(where I am based) once in 3 months. But most of the driving will be within the state. Driving style is normal(slow and steady wins the race kinda).

Must: Power Steering, AC, Front Power windows, Safety features.

My current options: Alto800 Lxi, Alto K10 Lxi, Eon D-Lite/Sportz, i10 Era, Brio EMT.

Current Status: I will initiate calls to delears in Goa to get the On-Road price, discounts, finance options.

Help required: Please help me shortlist and provide any valuable feedback you have on these models. I plan to take test drives this weekend. Please let me know if I have missed out any other models(Santro,Indica,Spark are not in my preference list).

Thanks in advance!!
Old 18th October 2012, 12:29   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasi View Post
Dear Friends,

====================
Please let me know if I have missed out any other models(Santro,Indica,Spark are not in my preference list).

Thanks in advance!!
Well looking at the options you have in mind, i would suggest the Brio E MT. I think it wins hands down.
1.Its a relatively new car,looks great( better than the dated/classic Alto,or the bulky reared Eon)
2.Got great space( Way better than the Altos, and i10)
3.88PS for that punch on the highway ( Your parents might not need it but just in case you plan to drive it )
4.A darling to drive in city with its small dimensions & sharp turning radius,good mileage and lastly HONDA.

It ticks all the boxes for your requirements.I had done a TD and loved it. .It might be slightly expensive but given the sales figures you might be able to get better discounts on this. Do let me know if this helps.
John Jacob13128 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 01:05   #123
BHPian

Thanks John for the reply.

I called Caculo Cars today and they quoted me 4,58,000 On-Road for the Brio EMT with 13K insurance free and 4K corporate discount. Nothing less :( I think that is quite a premium!!!
The dilemma is the Alto 800 is expected to be at 2.3L and the Alto K10 is at 3.7(excluding 29K freebies, insurance). Now that is almost a 1L difference!!
The Brio is slipping out of my list I think!!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th October 2012 at 03:23. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I called Caculo Cars today and they quoted me 4,58,000 On-Road for the Brio EMT with 13K insurance free and 4K corporate discount. Nothing less :( I think that is quite a premium!!!
The dilemma is the Alto 800 is expected to be at 2.3L and the Alto K10 is at 3.7(excluding 29K freebies, insurance). Now that is almost a 1L difference!!
I agree that the Alto and K10 are way cheaper than the Brio, but if you can afford it, go for the Brio. It has way better safety features and is as exciting, if not more so, to drive than the K10. Awesome VTEC engine and chassis to match. Also, if driven sedately it will return decent mileage, though not as much as the Alto siblings.

Also, if comfort is a factor, consider the Hyundai's (eon, i10). They have nicely tuned suspensions for comfort, though that leads to scary handling on the highways at speeds over 100 or so. Also mileage reputed to be a bit on the lower side, but car filled with lots of goodies
Old 19th October 2012, 11:13   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I agree that the Alto and K10 are way cheaper than the Brio, but if you can afford it, go for the Brio. It has way better safety features and is as exciting, if not more so, to drive than the K10. Awesome VTEC engine and chassis to match. Also, if driven sedately it will return decent mileage, though not as much as the Alto siblings.

Also, if comfort is a factor, consider the Hyundai's (eon, i10). They have nicely tuned suspensions for comfort, though that leads to scary handling on the highways at speeds over 100 or so. Also mileage reputed to be a bit on the lower side, but car filled with lots of goodies
@Shivasi
Well since your budget was 4L it was just right there. But do not throw it out of your list. The 1L difference is totally worth it.Its the most matured car of the lot.Also the Brio as pganapathy pointed out is a safer car and offers far more driving pleasure than the Alto's and Eon. Only factor not in its favour is its mileage relative to Alto800. Both the K10 and Brio return the same figures in this department. And the Eon is not far ahead either. Anyways do a TD of all these cars and than make up your mind.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Im looking to gift a car for my parents in Goa somewhere in Nov-Dec 12.
Budget:4L (not really fixed)

Must: Power Steering, AC, Front Power windows, Safety features.

My current options: Alto800 Lxi, Alto K10 Lxi, Eon D-Lite/Sportz, i10 Era, Brio EMT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I agree that the Alto and K10 are way cheaper than the Brio, but if you can afford it, go for the Brio. It has way better safety features and is as exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob13128 View Post
@Shivasi
the lot.Also the Brio as pganapathy pointed out is a safer car and offers far more driving pleasure than the Alto's and Eon. Only factor not in its favour is its mileage relative to Alto800. Both the K10 and Brio return the same figures in this department. And the Eon is not far ahead either. Anyways do a TD of all these cars and than make up your mind.

What safety features are we talking about here? Brio E-MT has none of the safety features we expect (ABS, Airbags, etc.). The E-MT is an absolutely stripped down variant with only the basic feature set. In Pune, the E-MT costs 4,70,000 on road with some minor discounts. The iVtech engine is just amazing, but then its surely not as fun to drive as Alto K10 with respect to the low-end torque. Brio takes time to get FTD.

Honestly, at 4 lakhs budget, none of the offerings have any safety features. EON Sportz variant has a driver airbag, but Sportz variants costs close to 4.5 lakhs on road.

The new Alto 800 is a good choice at this price point. Alto K10 is a pleasure to drive, especially in the city traffic.

We were in the market for a car for my wife very recently. We TDed EON, Brio, Liva, Alto, Alto K10 and Spark and we finally bought the Chevrolet Spark.

At 4, 20,000/-, the Spark LT variant is pretty well loaded with features. The only issue could be that the car is slightly dated compared to the competition. However, the Chevrolet's 3 Years FREE maintenance package is an excellent offering and it covers everything for 3 years/45,000 Kms, including the consumables such as engine oil, coolants, etc.

We have already completed about 500 KMs with the Spark and its a pleasure to drive that car in the city. The space in the car is optimum and is better than both the Altos.

If you have to have safety features, then you have to move to the next segment(5+).
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 17:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
What safety features are we talking about here? Brio E-MT has none of the safety features we expect (ABS, Airbags, etc.). The E-MT is an absolutely stripped down variant with only the basic feature set. In Pune, the E-MT costs 4,70,000 on road with some minor discounts. The iVtech engine is just amazing, but then its surely not as fun to drive as Alto K10 with respect to the low-end torque. Brio takes time to get FTD.

If you have to have safety features, then you have to move to the next segment(5+).
My bad. Didn't realize we were talking about the lowest brio model. However, one thing must be said. Even without abs and airbags which none of the other cars we are considering have, the brio is safer. It has a higher crash rating and better crumple zones.

Yes, the k10 does have better low end response but overall the brio is more ftd (better speed, handling, higher rpm, better chassis, suspension etc).

I suppose once you start going 5+L for the abs and airbags versions of the brio, then pricing does become an issue but if it is affordable, it would make sense given the additional safety offered.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:48   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

Honestly, at 4 lakhs budget, none of the offerings have any safety features. EON Sportz variant has a driver airbag, but Sportz variants costs close to 4.5 lakhs on road.

The new Alto 800 is a good choice at this price point. Alto K10 is a pleasure to drive, especially in the city traffic.

We were in the market for a car for my wife very recently. We TDed EON, Brio, Liva, Alto, Alto K10 and Spark and we finally bought the Chevrolet Spark.

At 4, 20,000/-, the Spark LT variant is pretty well loaded with features. The only issue could be that the car is slightly dated compared to the competition. However, the Chevrolet's 3 Years FREE maintenance package is an excellent offering and it covers everything for 3 years/45,000 Kms, including the consumables such as engine oil, coolants, etc.

We have already completed about 500 KMs with the Spark and its a pleasure to drive that car in the city. The space in the car is optimum and is better than both the Altos.

Ajay,
When i mentioned it as a safer car , what i had in mind was something more physcological than physical.You feel more safe in the brio than in a Alto.That differs from each person. Also the K10 is also a great option only thing against it would be the very close resemblance to its older brother. Brio on the other hand looks contemporary.
Also since this car was his parents, who probabely prefer a sedate driving it made sense to go for a newer car. My second option would have been the K10 though.
Old 20th October 2012, 07:57   #129
BHPian

Out of these options Brio is way better it rides really well on bad roads the engine is crisp and high speed dynamics are really better in its class. Am only worried abt the rear hatch glass door don't know how safe it is, when some one rearends . When I drove that car the sales executive also told this car is more stable than a city after 100 Lol.
Old 28th October 2012, 19:38   #130
BHPian

I think this budget calls for a K10 with a decent set of alloys, good ICE and maybe K&N filters. That would tick most of the boxes at the best VFM.
superlux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 21:20   #131
BHPian

Thank u all for the feedback... I'm due to make a buy in December and take delivery in Jan 13. Will keep you posted on the choice and why :-)
Old 30th October 2012, 21:58   #132
BHPian

Brio is a far better car than others compared.
If budget is extendable then Brio is the way to go.
It is better built, has superior suspension, iVTEC is more powerful and refined along with decent torque. You do get the extra snob value for riding a Honda instead of a very common Alto.

There is absolutely no comparsion whatsoever.

PS : I have both Alto K10 and 800 in my family.
Old 8th November 2012, 23:31   #133
BHPian

with a budget of around 4 L, I would say the K10 is a great option (I know its for your folks and they are unlikely to hi-revv away to glory)

At this pricepoint, a car will always be about compromises, why not atleast get a great engine that the K10 offers with go-kart like driving experience. The interiors are not much to drive home about, but then again, what you pay for is what you get

Agree the Brio is a great buy if you can stretch your budget but IMO it'll again be a litany of compromises as I suppose you can get only the entry level one at sub 5 l
Old 12th November 2012, 10:51   #134
BHPian

Did a TD of Eon/K10/Brio. I would like to put down my opinion, but yes its no offense against any of these owners. Isn't it a Car is not only engine but the complete makeover of the feel that you get while you sit inside a car? The space, the fit&finish, the build, the paint quality? the comfy seats, the dash board, glovebox?

I felt overall Eon is way ahead as a package for the money I pay. With the current discounts I get a EOn Magna for 3.9L which has 155/R13 with tiltable steering and other basic stuffs like Central locking and Front power windows with a neat audio system. The car is not that much as to K10 in terms of power because of the variance in the engine spec. But i didn't feel its not too way behind. Even the steering feel is not that much different between a K10 and Eon. I don't want to compare the Eon with alto 800 as I simply feel for 3.75L maruti just gives a reliable engine and not a whole good car.

Meaning for example I don't feel like sitting on seats leave comfort, but rather I feel i am planted on a wooden bench! Yes the car may feel to be more spacious but not comfortable while you place yourself. I am 178 cms height and when I sat on the driver seat of eon comfortably and for the same seat position, when I sat at the back, I can see the leg room to be better for the comfy seats that are offered in Eon. Basic necessity of the car is getting fulfilled here, thats what i felt! I can see some of us feel Eon is little bit costlier, but for me I see that in that case alto is priced way costlier as maruti is reinvesting on its existing engineering and it has not done something new as like hyundai on Eon!

Coming to the Brio, to say the fact I am an Honda Fan boy! I booked a Jazz and cancelled it due to various personal reasons and went for Beat diesel. But when i drive a Brio that too priced at above 5L I felt honda is trying to get money from its customers just for its label! Yes, the ivtec is reliable, fantastic and whatsoever, but for more than 5L for a petrol car I expect better ride and comfort. Honda is going to plonk the one from Jazz to the brio, it could have done the brio way better in space, features, comfort level and the ride.

I felt I could go for a i10 IRDE2 after doing a TD with the present discounts rather than going for a brio for the superb gear shift, wonderful cabin, comfortable space and yes even though ivtec is far superior to IRDE2, its not a failure!

Last edited by Mpower : 25th March 2013 at 21:36.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:33   #135
BHPian

Allto 800

Hi

I'm driving a santro and am thrilled with it. Its 10 years old with 41K Kms (sparsely used) on odo, but drives like a dream.

Likes and dislikes of my car:

1. Excellent drivability in city
2. Comfortable seating with a good view of road
3. Easy ingress/egress for my aged parents
4. Good service

Dislikes:

1. Gives only 11 Km/Liter
2. Poor comfort in back seat (Jumping in bad chennai roads)

Why new car

I'm looking for a new car for only one reason which is to avail CLP benefit from my company.

What do I look for:

1. Good FE upwards of 17 Kmpl in city (~ 900 Km/Month in city)
2. Below 5 Lacs
3. Drivability and comfort comparable to 10 year old Santro (I'm 5'6")
4. No troubles for next 3 years

I have more or less decided on Alto 800. I have driven Eon and K10 I like both. But since the feedback on mileage is bad am opting for alto 800.

Is this a prudent decision. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by ravradha : 3rd December 2013 at 12:38. Reason: Adding details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks